Amenity change on Nov 1, 2019

rheasue38

Might have to look elsewhere to cruise. If the do not want me then we will not want them.

I remember in 2016 I took a Malta to Miami 21 day cruise, it came with 5 free tours for 2, $600 on board credit and a 6000.00 refund from moving from a PH to a B1...... but I remember too when a corvett cost $3600.00 new.

If I had the choice of amenities or price I would take price. the tours I do myself, Also the air. I seldom ever use the computer

My agent gives a decent OBC and I seldom drink. I always take cruises without an O bennies as why pay for what you do not use? O for me gives me the best bang for the buck and I have sailed everything from NCL to Regent..

I think no matter, I will stick it out....

I totally agree with you. We have four cruises booked with Oceania this year and are disappointed in this change. The way we are handling this issue is moving Oceania to the bottom of our list when we book our future cruises. There are many choices to choose from and we will take advantage of them first.

This is my take on this.

I hope to be grandfathered into my Plat benefits as I was into second PPGs. If not, I am losing $100 OBC and 2 spa credits.

I just came off a Crystal cruise (see my report) where I paid more for a tiny balcony cabin than I pay for a PH on Marina. Also on Marina I have a butler, ensuite dining from specialties, $500 OBC (if reduced) and get rebate from my TA. In addition I like the food on O much more than Crystal, I don’t have to wear a jacket, people are much friendlier on O, a la carte pricing, etc etc.

Why would I move to Crystal just for losing $100 OBC and 2 spas when everything else I like so much better on Oceania. Same goes for Seabourn and Silversea and I don’t want to go back to Celebrity or HAL.

I don’t like those relatively minor changes but there is so much more to a great cruise experience than losing $100 OBC. Many times I wind up buying things in the gift shop that I don’t really need only to spend non-refundable OBC anyway.

That’s my feeling - YMMV.

Anyone who feels they must switch cruise lines over this is free to do so.

Edited by Paulchili

thank you, thank you PaulChili--I appreciate you putting it all into perspective.

seriously .... people are considering not cruising on O because they have "lost" $100 at Platinum Level?

Well those who feel they are “entitled” to that $100 may do so.

What’s that expression about cutting off your nose.....?

I don’t like those relatively minor changes but there is so much more to a great cruise experience than losing $100 OBC.

I wonder if Oceania is hoping that this will be the feeling of all or most of it's loyal cruisers who will eventually just forget about the cutbacks. Then they can do it a little more in a few years.

Kinda reminds me of the frog who's put in a pot of cold water and it's slowly brought up to a boil.....remember what happens to the frog? ;)

I've also noticed 4 out of the 6 cruises we're currently booked on this year have been wait listed for quite some time. I've also noticed O periodically raises prices periodically, but rarely drops the price. It sounds like the demand is up which may mean O can "tweak" their great loyalty perks periodically without worry. After all their perks even after the "enhancements" are still better than a lot of the other cruise lines IMHO.

I wonder if Oceania is hoping that this will be the feeling of all or most of it's loyal cruisers who will eventually just forget about the cutbacks. Then they can do it a little more in a few years.

Well, IF and WHEN that happens, you can jump the ship - pun intended - at any time :)

Well those who feel they are “entitled” to that $100 may do so.

What’s that expression about cutting off your nose.....?

And when you begin to treat your best customers badly they start to look elsewhere. Takes some time but it happens. Look at Sears, Look at K Mart, Toys R Us. And a lot of others. From the largest stores in the world to almost bankrupt. :(:(:(

I suppose I spent to many years raking up miles and hotel points to only watch them be constantly devalued to get overly excited about these changes!

I could once fly anywhere in the world First Class for 100,000 miles. Stay in top Hyatt Regency Resorts for 5,000 points per night. Those days are long gone! To many people with to many points to maintain that. 70,000 points per night for some of those resorts now and Business Class might cost you 170,000 miles. No grandfathering in those industries!

My most recent cruise “only” 52% of fellow cruisers were repeat O cruisers. The two before that I remember numbers like 76% and 82% respectively. Don’t remember the others. A lot of cruisers building up cruise levels. Wouldn’t be surprised to see future “free” cruise levels to go to 25 or 30 cruises vs current 20 cruises. It’s just what they do! I haven’t stopped flying or staying in hotels, and won’t stop cruising a line because of

Loyalty programs!

Yes, I believe I said something similar in different words back on page two of this. See below.

This is my take on this.

I hope to be grandfathered into my Plat benefits as I was into second PPGs. If not, I am losing $100 OBC and 2 spa credits.

I just came off a Crystal cruise (see my report) where I paid more for a tiny balcony cabin than I pay for a PH on Marina. Also on Marina I have a butler, ensuite dining from specialties, $500 OBC (if reduced) and get rebate from my TA. In addition I like the food on O much more than Crystal, I don’t have to wear a jacket, people are much friendlier on O, a la carte pricing, etc etc.

Why would I move to Crystal just for losing $100 OBC and 2 spas when everything else I like so much better on Oceania. Same goes for Seabourn and Silversea and I don’t want to go back to Celebrity or HAL.

I don’t like those relatively minor changes but there is so much more to a great cruise experience than losing $100 OBC. Many times I wind up buying things in the gift shop that I don’t really need only to spend non-refundable OBC anyway.

That’s my feeling - YMMV.

Anyone who feels they must switch cruise lines over this is free to do so.

I would advise jumping to any confusions until we have actual "facts" of how they will deal with existing customers. Then if you're unhappy rant and rave and go on other lines.

The real question is will you have better benefits on those lines you start at square one with?

I t

. There are many choices to choose from and we will take advantage of them first.

Really??? I have done my homework pretty well,,and for the life of me, I can not find any line, any where that provides all the positives of O for the $ spent without all the negatives almost all other lines pose. The phrase cutting off your nose despite your face needs to be considered.. Who would you consider for the same value/price point ,Crystal , Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, Pondyant, at 50 to`125% more expensive ?????? I am at a loss help me out.

I've only cruised O once and you wish I'd go away? Thanks. :rolleyes: Hope other O cruisers won't treat us newbies like this.

No - I don’t wish for you to go away. Please re-read my post.

I am suggesting that if you are unhappy with current or future changes at Oceania, it is your choice to stay or “go away”

Sad to report but I have it on high authority that there will be no grandfathering of current perks. After Nov 2019 you will get the new perks listed, no matter when you attained those levels.

ORV;

Not surprised. Same as the airlines and hotels, the new “deal” is the new deal. No more complicated grandfathering.

As I earlier posted, it will be interesting to watch how long it takes before 30 cruises are required for that “ free” cruise.

so people have over 18 mths to make use of the current loyalty program ..book the cruises now before the changes are made ;)

I have not seen many lines that have the loyalty program that can beat O's

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

Lyn;

Absolutely correct, except it’s 20 months out! These future changes in no way affect any cruises currently booked. We have two 2019 cruises booked, not impacted at all. They don’t take effect until late November 2019. Future cruises that they WILL affect will not be released for booking until mid next month (April). At that point, people have to decide what’s overall best for them.

We are currently Gold members which would give us $500 OBC. On our statement for the 2020 world cruise they show us as Platinum with the various Platinum benefits including the new reduced $500 OBC so it is correct that the new changes will go in effect on cruises booked now but taken after the change.

In all fairness it depends on whether the new Platinum perk is "Priority Terminal Check In" as the flyer from the email says or "Terminal Check In Upgrade" as the Oceania website says.

If you get an upgrade in room at the terminal that would be an enhancement.

I just got a clarification on this. It is a special line for Platinums or higher, (like we need it with Oceania) It is not a room upgrade. It doesn't change the time you show up either.

I just got a clarification on this. It is a special line for Platinums or higher, (like we need it with Oceania) It is not a room upgrade. It doesn't change the time you show up either.

Seems like a silly idea then

:rolleyes:

All smoke and mirrors. Looks and smells like a price increase to us. Too bad they can't be straight forward with us and not back door this. :(:(:(