Dressing for Dinner

Why stop at flip flops, tank tops and pajamas? Why not just let people wear those in the MDR? Hell, how about letting people come naked if they want?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And how is this constructive and helpful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so you do care to some degree then?

Bill

On formal night people look great all dressed up. The women & men look a little extra special. it gives the night a kind of fun feeling. If some want to wear shorts to dinner, that's their business. Just because Wife' & I will always treat our cruising special. I know others do not share our views & that is their business.

It's been a few years since we cruised and I can't remember how much a man needs to dress up on "normal" dinner nights? I know the website says "smart casual" but does he need to wear a tie every night? My daughters and I all bought dresses, but if a button up shirt and slacks will pass for "smart casual" for my husband I don't want to bother packing ties except for formal night. I have friends who have cruised Carnival a few times recently and said that there a polo shirt and slacks was perfectly acceptable in the dining room, but from my experience years ago I remember Royal being a little nicer...

Also, for formal nights it says he needs to be in a suit or tux, so is that saying that he can't get by with just a suit jacket (black) and slacks (khaki) but needs an actual matching set?

Thanks for any input.... I want to be sure we pack everything needed but really don't want to pack anything unnecessary (especially if we have to out and buy it like we would a suit! :Dlol).

Men do not need to wear suit and tie or tuxedo on Formal Night.. Women do not need to wear dresse or gown on Formal Night. That was done away years ago. :).

Basically it’s “anything goes” in the main dining rooms except eating wearing your swimsuit.(y)(y)

Dress in whatever makes you comfortable, (except swimming suit), and enjoy your food. No one is going to really care what you are wearing. :)

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

And let this be a lesson to all of you, had those four "kids" not dressed up every night then they actually wouldn't have really enjoyed their meals. Clothes make the meal.

And the ship has some nerve not enforcing a dress code that doesn't exist.

Finally, just because you're on vacation and want to relax doesn't mean that you should be able to ruin somebody else's vacation by dressing the way you want to. You shouldn't say "oh, I'm on vacation so let me ruin your vacation by dressing the way I want to." Jeez, peeps, your vacation is not about you.

Hmm Here I have had it wrong all along. I thought the food made the meal? Silly me!! Really?? Does a steak taste different when wearing long pants? Really? Does someone wearing a nice pair of shorts and a shirt affect the taste of your meal? Really Are you truly going to let someone wearing a pair of pants 12-14 inches shorter than yours affect your cruise?? Really? How pathetic does a person have to be to allow this to happen because of the length of a pair of pants?? I think it is great for people to dress up if they want, including kids, BUT something tells me their meal would have tasted the same either way. And as another poster said(and I have as well), the MDR food quality truly does not require dressing up if one does not want to.

PLease get over yourself, no one is that important!!

Have a wonderful day and a better next cruise :-)

Dude - I think the original poster was having some fun at the expense of the fashion police. It was a parody of another post who claimed their adult "kids" actually enjoyed their meal because they dressed up.

(Look at his other posts - he's on your side)

I'm not going to say you are "wrong", but if that is your preference 4000-6000 guest floating amusement parks aimed at multi-generational families aren't going to fulfill your wishes. Even "traditional" lines are moving away from it, but your best bet would maybe be Princess or even HAL.

I’m not asking anyone to fulfill my wishes, just stating my opinion. Isn’t that what these forums are about?

And how is this constructive and helpful?

It’s a serious question, at least part of it. If your wearing shorts in the MDR is OK and shouldnt bother anybody else, then why doesn’t the same apply to a swimsuit and tank top?

I’m surprised it took 119 posts for the inevitable and idiotic “why don’t you just let people dine naked” to show up.

That was obviously not serious but just to make the point that this is all very arbitrary. It if you took it as more than that then who is being idiotic?

And let this be a lesson to all of you, had those four "kids" not dressed up every night then they actually wouldn't have really enjoyed their meals. Clothes make the meal.

And the ship has some nerve not enforcing a dress code that doesn't exist.

Finally, just because you're on vacation and want to relax doesn't mean that you should be able to ruin somebody else's vacation by dressing the way you want to. You shouldn't say "oh, I'm on vacation so let me ruin your vacation by dressing the way I want to." Jeez, peeps, your vacation is not about you.

Hmm Here I have had it wrong all along. I thought the food made the meal? Silly me!! Really?? Does a steak taste different when wearing long pants? Really? Does someone wearing a nice pair of shorts and a shirt affect the taste of your meal? Really Are you truly going to let someone wearing a pair of pants 12-14 inches shorter than yours affect your cruise?? Really? How pathetic does a person have to be to allow this to happen because of the length of a pair of pants?? I think it is great for people to dress up if they want, including kids, BUT something tells me their meal would have tasted the same either way. And as another poster said(and I have as well), the MDR food quality truly does not require dressing up if one does not want to.

LOL - sorry "Soap" - I wrote that post in response to the absurdity of Post #27. (My tongue was firmly embedded in my cheek.)

It’s a serious question, at least part of it. If your wearing shorts in the MDR is OK and shouldnt bother anybody else, then why doesn’t the same apply to a swimsuit and tank top?

It is OK if Royal Caribbean allows passengers wearing shorts into the MDR. I have observed that they do. I have seen passengers entering and wearing shorts inside. I have had table mates wearing shorts and I didn’t even know until they got up to leave. So it certainly didn’t change the dining experience. Have you seen them denying entry to passengers wearing shorts? I have not seen passengers wearing a swimsuit except one evening on Adventure of he Seas many years ago when they had a beach evening at Aruba. So either passengers don’t wear swimsuits to the MDR or Royal denies them entry. If someone asked on CC about wearing swimsuits I would answer that I never saw any. If they ask about shorts I tell them that some passengers do wear shorts.

Central Park 150 is one of the fancier specialty restaurants. But on casual nights, there are a fair number of people in shorts and t-shirts. This is the face of contemporary cruising. The Gowns and Tuxes are a dying breed like the dinosaur.

There are still some cruise lines that enforce the dress codes, all the NORMAL lines like RC and Carnival and others do not enforce many older rules.

WOW.... things have really changed in the last few years if they allow shorts in the dining room for dinner.

I definitely want dinners to be special (which is why I bought my teenage daughters - who HATE dresses - dresses and told them they will be required to wear them)... I want us to dress up for formal nights - to me that's a huge part of what makes cruising fun! (totally agree with the McDonald's comment) I just didn't want to force my husband into a tie every single night or spend a fortune on a FULL suit unless that was expected.

Thanks for the input :D

Central Park 150 is one of the fancier specialty restaurants. But on casual nights, there are a fair number of people in shorts and t-shirts. This is the face of contemporary cruising. The Gowns and Tuxes are a dying breed like the dinosaur.

BirdTravels:

Re: face of contemporary dining:

Is that because those PAXs who use to cruise, back in the day,when formal wear was expected and de rigueur have died or will die soon? Like the dinosaurs those kind of PAXs wearing gowns and tuxes will go extinct? And a newer younger generation of cruisers use to a more casual lifestyle will be the norm. I think the cruise industry realizes that. It’s all about the money, JMO.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

DH and I will continue to dress for dinner. I enjoy wearing a dress even casually and the DH does not mind putting on a shirt with a collar and dress pants. For formal night we have put away the long dresses and tux as few do it anymore but he wears a coat and I a cocktail dress.

I see nothing wrong with dress shorts but my opinion ( and that’s all it is) that one should not wear the same to dinner as you wore all day on your excursions. It takes no effort to put on something other then a t shirt and cargo shorts.

It doesn’t ruin my meal no matter what you wear as long as men’s armpits are covered and you have showered. To each their own. My opinion is a tablecloth, cloth napkin makes it a step up in dining. And for now I will continue to drag along all my dresses and shoes, dress up a little and make it special.

There are still some cruise lines that enforce the dress codes, all the NORMAL lines like RC and Carnival and others do not enforce many older rules.

There are no RULES. Royal only has SUGGESTED dress. Not REQUIRED dress.

5805d2d1a0c87dc026c63e34ba8189ee.jpg

BTW: this is from today’s compass for tonight.

BirdTravels:

Re: face of contemporary dining:

Is that because those PAXs who use to cruise, back in the day,when formal wear was expected and de rigueur have died or will die soon? Like the dinosaurs those kind of PAXs wearing gowns and tuxes will go extinct? And a newer younger generation of cruisers use to a more casual lifestyle will be the norm. I think the cruise industry realizes that. It’s all about the money, JMO.

Times change. We have sailed for decades. We use to pack long dresses and tuxes and wore them to dinner every night. While we certainly are not dead,,,, we also have left the formal attire at home for many years. We have adapted. Not gone extinct.

The good thing about not having dress codes is we get a good laugh at the people dressed as like clowns

Haha love this!!!! I’ll be for sure taking the piss on formal night out of others wearing shorts... I for the record, live in Dubai, wear a 3 piece suit everyday for work in the 45oC heat! NO EXCUSE.

Come next week I will be for sure wearing tux to look the part on formal evenings... After that I’ll be back with the chinos/jeans/polo tops and tattoos on show 🤷🏻*♂️

A 34 year old male dressing smarter than his peers shouldn’t be the case and let’s hope not!! Roll on the 24th March

I’m not asking anyone to fulfill my wishes, just stating my opinion. Isn’t that what these forums are about?

I'm trying to help you achieve what you desire out of your vacation dollar. Money and time is finite.

I would say to the person who is moaning about why not flip flops and tank tops, that some sort of covering on your feet and arm pits will alleviate someone's stink factor. No beach wear cannot be allowed because wet stuff would dampen or damage the seats for the next guest. BUt I say this, if someone wearing very nice shorts in the dining room offends you then you got way to many snotty first world problems for me to associate with you! Please get over yourself!!

Dude - I think the original poster was having some fun at the expense of the fashion police. It was a parody of another post who claimed their adult "kids" actually enjoyed their meal because they dressed up.

(Look at his other posts - he's on your side)

ahhhh My bad. IN this post one might need to tell us when sarcasm is used hahah. Its difficult to spot on this one :-)

LOL - sorry "Soap" - I wrote that post in response to the absurdity of Post #27. (My tongue was firmly embedded in my cheek.)

I got that now :-) Hard to differentiate sarcasm in this post haha