7pm flight on debarcation lunch offered?

Freckles49

We have a 7pm flight out of NY to the UK on 3rd September when we leave the ship.

We have cruised on other lines specifically Azamara and Celebrity and there has been lunched offered.

Does this happen on Oceania?

Thanks

Jen

We have a 7pm flight out of NY to the UK on 3rd September when we leave the ship.

We have cruised on other lines specifically Azamara and Celebrity and there has been lunched offered.

Thanks

Jen

You have to empty your cabin by 8 AM and disembark by 9 AM.

I would think this is pretty standard practice on all cruise lines in order for the staff to be able to prepare the ship for the next set of cruisers.

In other words - no lunch for disembarking passengers. There might be some exceptions - Papeete comes to mind - but normally this is the case.

You have to empty your cabin by 8 AM and disembark by 9 AM.

I would think this is pretty standard practice on all cruise lines in order for the staff to be able to prepare the ship for the next set of cruisers.

No other lines offer opportunities to remain onboard, but not have access to a stateroom, however, there is usually a surcharge for this service.

We have an O cruise ending in Monte Carlo in August and when I asked for a latest debarkation time from my O Cruise Concierge, she told me 9.30 am.

No other lines offer opportunities to remain onboard, but not have access to a stateroom......

Cunard and P&O both allow you to remain on board when you are taking their charter flights. If you have a late afternoon flight you would usually leave for the airport approx. 3 hours before flight, so time for lunch.

Cunard and P&O both allow you to remain on board when you are taking their charter flights. If you have a late afternoon flight you would usually leave for the airport approx. 3 hours before flight, so time for lunch.

That is as may be, but as far as I know, one is required to be at the Airport 3 hours before an International flight from NYC.

With traffic being what it is, I don't think that i'd dawdle on the ship for the chance of a free sandwich .

That is as may be, but as far as I know, one is required to be at the Airport 3 hours before an International flight from NYC.

With traffic being what it is, I don't think that i'd dawdle on the ship for the chance of a free sandwich .

Maybe the rules are different for charters, in any event the cruise lines organise the transfers and charters so it is not a case of staying on board for ‘a free sandwich’.

AFAIK Oceania do not charter flights for their cruises, I was merely pointing out to hillsprint that some lines do allow you to stay on board after 9am.

No other lines offer opportunities to remain onboard, but not have access to a stateroom, however, there is usually a surcharge for this service.

We have an O cruise ending in Monte Carlo in August and when I asked for a latest debarkation time from my O Cruise Concierge, she told me 9.30 am.

Sorry forgot my comma !! It should read

No, other lines offer opportunities ....

So yes other cruise companies do permit you to stay onboard :)

Thanks

Jen

I’ve cruised with several different cruise lines, including Celebrity and Oceania, never had lunch. With Our Oceania cruise our flights, transfers and cruise were booked by Oceania and weren’t till approx 6pm and we still had to leave the ship by 9am.

Greetings, Everyone from South Beach, 25 minutes from Port of Miami. When we lived in NYC, we sailed NCL from Port of New York several times. We did not have to leave the ship until 10:00 am. Those ships were giants compared to Oceania and Regents, so staggered departures made sense. We didn't want to stand in a horrendous taxi line. Every once in a while, I would like to try The Haven on NCL. We cruised in The Villas and really loved it. Oh, well, that's for another day

Mary

I’ve cruised with several different cruise lines, including Celebrity and Oceania, never had lunch. With Our Oceania cruise our flights, transfers and cruise were booked by Oceania and weren’t till approx 6pm and we still had to leave the ship by 9am.

I'm curious how this works. (We normally do our own air and transfers but the few times we used O's air we had morning or early afternoon flights.) I mean, if you are using their air for a 6pm departure -- which would mean you SHOULD be at the airport by 3pm for an international flight -- and they want you off the ship by 9am. What do they expect you to do for 4-5 hours inbetween? I understand they want everyone off the ship. Do they give you a tour to take up the time?

That used to happen with Renaissance, but I'm talking 20 years ago. I remember when we left the ship in Barcelona we had a tour of the city which took us to the hotel by the time we could check in. (In those days they gave us free hotel stays at the beginning and ending ports which might explain the tour until we could check into our rooms.)

I don't remember if they charged for that tour but I don't think they did. This was a drive-by-and-look tour, we didn't go in anywhere ... no, come to think of it, we DID go into the Cathedral. But we just watched Sagrada Familia from afar.

So I'm curious as to what O expected you to do inbetween leaving the ship and the transfer. Feel free to write privately if you wish!

Mura

We’re port people and haven’t to date gone from the ship to the airport. However, if we did, I’m Platinum Marriott/dog so would head to the most convenient Marriott to town, check iur bags with the Concierge, sightsee and have an enjoyable lunch in town. Then head to the airport at the appropriate time. Another option would be a private car that gave us a sightseeing tour of the City which would take care of dealing with our luggage likewise.

Why do people believe Oceania needs to hold their hands all that last day?

Pinot, I'm not at all sure that people want their hands held but it can be awfully inconvenient if you don't have hotel perks such as your Marriott perks when there is a fair amount of time between leaving the ship and getting your transfer. Which is why I asked MY question.

Assuming my calculations were correct (which I don't), 3-4 hours between leaving the ship and boarding the transfer bus doesn't really give you that much time to see the city, wherever you are. I do assume that they will handle the luggage, so you shouldn't have to deal with that.

If we were in that situation -- having a number of hours between leaving the ship and boarding the bus -- we'd manage to figure out what to do on our own. But of course, we wouldn't be using the ship's transfer so we'd have to figure out what to do with our luggage!

I'm glad we've never had such a gap between leaving the ship and our flight home.

Mura

Mura;

While I personally agree that 3-4 hours makes for a short sightseeing trip, that is why I’m always amazed at cruisers signing up for 3.5 hour ship shore tours, which is very common with many O cruisers.

So if a 3.5 hr O tour is adequate for many, in most every port, why would it be insufficient for many on the last day?

I'm curious how this works. (We normally do our own air and transfers but the few times we used O's air we had morning or early afternoon flights.) I mean, if you are using their air for a 6pm departure -- which would mean you SHOULD be at the airport by 3pm for an international flight -- and they want you off the ship by 9am. What do they expect you to do for 4-5 hours inbetween? I understand they want everyone off the ship. Do they give you a tour to take up the time?

Mura, I agree 3 pm is a tough time. Earlier kill (more) time at the airport; later take a tour.

I've noticed a number of times (maybe always offered and I have have just not noticed) on the back of the "what time do you want to disembark" form an offer for a (pay-for) tour for those with late flights.

I think it is a reasonable option for those who have not planned ahead for luggage storage. And sometimes at the end of a port-intensive cruise, taxiing about for a few hours to have some lunch and find somewhere to kill time is not the preferred choice.

A pay-to-stay on board provided by some other lines also sounds good but only if the GDR was open to them so as to not have to lunch in Terrace and trip over all the carry-on and people sitting at tables for hours waiting for their cabins to be opened. O would have to sell enough seats though to warrant keeping the GDR open. Unless they do keep it open for B2Bs pax Seems like a win-win for pax and O.

To Pinot and Yo-Ho ...

Yes! But that's why I'm curious as to what O has suggested for someone who has such a gap between transfer and being kicked off the ship.

It WOULD indeed be nice if O would provide the possibility of a lunch (I assume at a charge) for the departing passengers in the GDR.

There's one possible problem with that ... when we did our B2B in May on Riviera, the GDR was where the continuing passengers were offered their private lunch. It's true that the GDR should be able to accommodate both continuing passengers and departing passengers with late transfers ... but that's my opinion and might not be practical for ship managers. I guess it depends on numbers.

As I said at the outset, we've never had such a gap between leaving the ship and a flight, and if we did we were on our own anyway. Usually we are going to a hotel so it isn't a problem. On the few times when we did fly home on departure day, we never had a wait. Sometimes we were more concerned about getting to the airport on time, not having to kill hours while there.

Am I wrong in guessing that this particular situation is unusual? I mean, leaving the ship at 9am, a transfer to the airport AND having a flight in the evening?

And this is a good reason why we almost always plan on staying on in the departure port, at least for a day or two! It's much easier to go to a hotel, even if you have to kill time before your room is ready.

As to taking a 3-1/2 hour tour inbetween, even if we had to pay for it -- that would be fine with us. Maybe not with everyone though. Maybe it depends on the departure port. I'm focused on leaving the ship in NYC ... which isn't always the case!

(When we left the ship in Venice in May we had decided NOT to stay on. Our flight home was scheduled for 10:50am, so we called a car to pick us up at 7:30. We had plenty of time.)

Mura

bottom line

Oceania does not allow you to stay onboard as Paul stated

some exceptions may apply PPT might be one

My husband and I did PPT to PPT a few years ago and even though we docked at 8:00 am and our flight did not leave PPT until midnight, we had to get off the ship before 10:00 am. We booked a private tour of the Island and a day room in a hotel to nap and freshen up before our flight.

I never thought about staying on the ship to eat lunch or anything else. I mean, they have to get the ship ready for on-coming passengers.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our last double crossing on the Queen Mary 2 which is from New York to Southampton to New York (actually Red Hook in Brooklyn) I purposely booked later flights. I am not sure what time we needed to vacate our cabins, but there was an area set up in a specialty restaurant for those who are Diamond (which we are) and also for those in the higher suites, where we could sit at tables and wait. Therefore it is done on some lines.

Tea, coffee and small sandwiches and cookies, etc. are set out for us to help ourselves. I am not sure how long you could stay. The food was taken away around 12:00, I believe. We left shortly after that. Not because they stopped the food, but because we had to meet our car service.

I am not sure if the ship must clear in New York. We always have to clear when doing b2b from Miami. I know that we do not have to clear in Southampton. You could stay on for a few hours. Now, they might call you to report to the Immigration Officers, as they might want to leave.

-

We just had this issue coming off an Alaska cruise on Celebrity that ended in Vancouver. Flight back to JFK was not until 11pm so we found an 8 hour tour that met us at the port, stored our luggage on the bus and dropped us at the airport after. All went great except we were at the airport at 6:30 and they would not let us check in and take our luggage until 7:30 which was a drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for your replies. I now know we have to be off the ship 9ish.

Our TA has arranged a private car to pick us up at the port at 3 assuring us we can leave our luggage at the port.

Does anyone know if this is correct. We would need to leave our luggage in a secure place and not in the spot its been left in the night before.

Thanks

Jen

Our TA has arranged a private car to pick us up at the port at 3 assuring us we can leave our luggage at the port.

Does anyone know if this is correct. We would need to leave our luggage in a secure place and not in the spot its been left in the night before.

Thanks

Jen

Your travel agent is wrong. There is no place to leave your luggage at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. You have to pick up your luggage and take it with you.

I'd suggest you take a short taxi ride from the cruise terminal to Schwartz Travel on West 37th St. http://schwartztravel.com/ and store your luggage there for the day. I believe they charge about $10 per bag. You can then sightsee in Manhattan and have your car service pick you up at the Schwartz Travel location when you're ready to go to the airport.

I have seen Oceania offer tours that end at the airport if you have later flights for a fee

You could could book a day room & relax at a hotel or do a private tour with the luggage in the boot

You have to weigh the options & what works best for you

If you are sailing on O what other lines do is immaterial

Thanks

Jen

Where can you leave your luggage at the port?

I haven't heard of such a service.