3 strikes and your out

Hawaiidan

Good air deals have to be booked 330 days out or your paying 70% more. I can not afford that.

That was my contention some time ago while I believe you claimed that you always get best deals a few days before the trip. While that may be true on some occasions it is not a good plan to rely on when you have a cruise booked and you are tied to a certain date.

That is why we always get our award flights at T-330/335 rather then hope to be able to find them close to the cruise date.

First you fact are wrong.... I did pay in full almost 6 months ago how would you know how I paid???.

Second the wine people did have a charter and were bounced/kicked off the same cruise. That they told me yesterday by phone..they were not happy. I did not say how many or how few the wine group was.. only that they had a charter arrangement , ( according to them) and were kicked off by another charter

My claims are not as wild as yours amigo claiming you had inside info on how I paid for my cruise, really?. hack my bank account? Have a crystal ball? Come on...

In the final analysis O kicked off passengers and charter groups in favor of a more lucrative and for passengers not using O's air offered nothing in any way. Further, refused to provide any information or assistance. and they did it several times in less than 90 days... Not once, but twice for the same cruise

. The first time was polite and, if you change we will promise you this cruise. Then you book that cruise and 90 days later you get slammed again, this time by a rather terse letter offering nothing but "its our right pal" and a refund. Nothing else. Thats not a wild claim that hard and cold fact that can not be spun your way.

No one was willing to work with already purchased air with me......

I trust that *most* of us understood that pinotlover meant that you didn't make a NON-refundable payment/etc., 6 months in advance. The only "loss to you" was what you could have received as a modest amount of interest on a short term CD or such, had you not handed over what was probably a tidy sum so that Oceania could add it to their corporate coffers with no benefit to you.

No one claimed to have "inside information" about your financials, for goodness sake!

And I also am quite sure that some/many of us interpreted your initial comments to mean that it was indeed a full charter. Whether that was what you intended to imply, only you know.

After all, you wrote, "Then 3 months pass and then they inform everyone so sorry we are chartering now, dont let the cabin door hit you in the rear..." Why would they inform EVERYONE "so sorry", you are OUT, if it wasn't a full charter?

There are *plenty* of problems with just about all large corporations, and especially when almost all of their business involves "customer service", without implied or actual embellishments.

The way you present things makes it at least somewhat difficult both to understand what *really* happened, and also for you to get the full empathy you are apparently seeking.

As buggins0402 posted, what were the actual "costs" that were lost?

You certainly did NOT lose the full price of the cruise, for one or more of you, even if you paid in full extra early.

<donning flame-proof attire now ;)>

GC

I trust that *most* of us understood that pinotlover meant that you didn't make a NON-refundable payment/etc., 6 months in advance. The only "loss to you" was what you could have received as a modest amount of interest on a short term CD or such, had you not handed over what was probably a tidy sum so that Oceania could add it to their corporate coffers with no benefit to you.

No one claimed to have "inside information" about your financials, for goodness sake!

And I also am quite sure that some/many of us interpreted your initial comments to mean that it was indeed a full charter. Whether that was what you intended to imply, only you know.

After all, you wrote, "Then 3 months pass and then they inform everyone so sorry we are chartering now, dont let the cabin door hit you in the rear..." Why would they inform EVERYONE "so sorry", you are OUT, if it wasn't a full charter?

There are *plenty* of problems with just about all large corporations, and especially when almost all of their business involves "customer service", without implied or actual embellishments.

The way you present things makes it at least somewhat difficult both to understand what *really* happened, and also for you to get the full empathy you are apparently seeking.

As buggins0402 posted, what were the actual "costs" that were lost?

You certainly did NOT lose the full price of the cruise, for one or more of you, even if you paid in full extra early.

<donning flame-proof attire now ;)>

GC

Let me be more clear, no problem no flames If your focusing on the last cruise, remember I am talking about 2 cancels , to me both for charters Not 1. and each with a promise that the next would be good...

Re booking the first I incurred hotel and airline cancel/ re credit penalties of About $600.. real dollars

Then on the second cruise I made deposits and got tickets because that cruise became a charter.

Now only 90 days later I got hit with another notice of cancels due to another charter. The Wine folks were the only ones mentioned. I assumed based on that that they were the charter like the first cruise cancel. Well they were but they too got the boot for another charter. They are just as mad as I. I am not certain at this point just how many charters and recharters are in play at least 2 maybe 3... As O wont say anything .

Since I will have to cancel second cruise, just l like the first time, I will again and incur the penalties and re credit fees even for ff tickets !!! We are now talking well over $1000. and considering I got tickets for guests that rises the costs rise and rise...

The full price of the cruise I get back, but then loose miles as well which are very tangible losses as well. These losses are very close to or at one full cruise fare at this point

If you look at this objectively, for just one of the cruise cancel , do not overlook the second cancel and its very real costs equal of greater than the first ! If I was to take the 3rd cruise I would have too incur even more cash outlay. None of which was was Oceania but was the expenses caused by repeated cancel's Are you with me?

We are talking to multiple cancellations within a few months of each other.

Pintlover made some very interesting statements that possibly gives insight to his motivation. by claiming he knew how much I paid and when and also exactly how many people were on the wine charter. It seems logical thus to possibly deduce that he is or has a relation with O. where he is privy to details only an employee or agent of the company might access? How could he if he was not an employee /agent?

Is he a spin doctor for O? Makes one wonder as to how he supposedly got or claimed to have such detailed personal information..... Do you wonder?

I am still new to Oceania with our first cruise in January 2019. I book my cruises at least one year out (to get preferred cabin) and usually two years out. I also book my airfare pretty close to when the schedules are released. Your situation makes me a little leery to say the least. How many months prior to your sale date did Oceania cancel your two cruises?

HD, why not concentrate making some lemonade.

You found some great FF airfare that you don’t want to lose. You have stated in the past you want to concentrate on land travel and visiting great restaurants. Why not convert to a land trip through Tuscany or the Lake District and visit some great restaurants? Then at a later time, use that credit. Did you also get a credit for the first cancellation?

I am still new to Oceania with our first cruise in January 2019. I book my cruises at least one year out (to get preferred cabin) and usually two years out. I also book my airfare pretty close to when the schedules are released. Your situation makes me a little leery to say the least. How many months prior to your sale date did Oceania cancel your two cruises?

That should have been “how close to your SAIL date were your bookings cancelled?”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am stunned by some of the pushback on Hawaiian Dan. If an airline, a concert hall, or even a restaurant did not honor their commitments for no reason other than someone further down the line was willing to pay more, people would be outraged. Forgetting real money out of pocket costs, not everyone has the flexibility to change twice their vacation plans as this situation seemed to demand.

Oceania is my cruise line of choice. But this does not mean I cannot see the problem here. A passenger bill of rights was developed for the airlines. It may be time soon for there to be some new ground rules for cruises.

Catherine

A passenger bill of rights was developed for the airlines. It may be time soon for there to be some new ground rules for cruises.

Catherine

They do have one but needs more teeth

https://www.cruising.org/about-the-industry/regulatory/industry-policies/other/pbor

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/bill-of-rights/

What they have done to you is dreadful.

Have you tried looking for another cruise with another line which would fit in with your flights?

That is what we did when Celebrity did the same to us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was just going to pipe in with Celebrity did this to us. It was a one of a kind Asia cruise taken for a charter by Austrian physicians in this case (maybe they outbid the wine people, lol). I had arranged my own land tour and to reschedule that with another cruise cost us thousands. Chartering makes a lot of $$$ for the lines and apparently it means more than good will toward the passengers. We got zilch from X. They only offered $200 OBC IF you booked a "replacement" cruise which was in no way like the original. Haven't been with them again...might one day after I cool off but never one so costly.

OP, I am sorry for all your problems with this. I (obviously) would be angry as well.

We book our airfare 1 year out also using points. I try to use AA. As long as origination and destination stay the same, you can rebook for free.

We’re still using Jason (you referred us 2 years ago) and I’m very surprised he couldn’t get something for you.

Also, we always enjoy Celebrity, booking aqua class for blu access. We find it’s the most comparable to O. Apart from your horrific experience we enjoyed our OCruise, and have booked another.

They also did this to me. My husband and I booked the Monte Carlo to Rome cruise-cancelled, so we booked this one, Rome to Monte Carlo. Just found out it was canceled- two out of two cruises booked cancelled. They want to offer us the week before or sometime in June- and a credit for a future cruise- but it is only through 2020 and we have other travel plans then. However, I am looking at an offer from Silversea instead-Barcelona to Rome. Who says this wouldn't happen a 3rd time?I have never cruised with Oceania, and after this experience, probably won't in the future.

They were booking our air and hotel, so no add'l loss with that, but still.

We booked this June, I think for the first time, and it was cancelled about a week after, I think. We rebooked right away, and this 2nd one was just cancelled now. Cruise was in early May 2019. So, they have plenty of time to cancel again, even if we rebook.

This is a disturbing situation, to say the least. I understand the air issues.

For a while O was overbooking cruises, then offering lucrative move over offers. The offers became progressively more generous and included upgraded staterooms, more travel days plus cash back.

Our first move over offer was for a cruise booked in 2014 on a 17 day 2015 Insignia, a leg on the world cruise. Within a month of booking, our first offer came in but Oceania and the travel agent both said any changes were voluntary. We declined several times but finally succumbed when the offer was too good to be true. We moved to a 20 day Nautical in a higher cabin category with significant cash back. We lost some credit card points for air.

Our second move over offer was for a cruise booked in ‘15 for a 2016 fourteen day Sirena in the Med. We declined repeated offers to move over but finally succumbed to downgrade our cabin for a large cash back payment.

Our third move over offer we ignored completely and I don’t remember details.

Hey Dan -- have you thought of posting this to Oceania's Facebook page - sometimes a little bad publicity does get the squeaky wheel to move a bit..

Good Idea Paul.....

It is sad to see the ease with which O flips on people. As someone rightly deduced on the third cruise O has plenty of time to screw them again. Based on O's recent direction this is no longer out of the question... it becomes reality. Painful Reality I am glad to see that a lot of others spoke up on what O did to them..

With almost 4000 views, this thread I hope will stick it to O as they stuck it to quite possibly hundreds of past and future customers who wont be coming back..

It is sad to see such a formerly great company so eager to throw past customers under the bus. repeatedly in just months apart....... I know I will never again trust in anything they offer or sponsor.... Would you

HD, why not concentrate making some lemonade.

You found some great FF airfare that you don’t want to lose. You have stated in the past you want to concentrate on land travel and visiting great restaurants. Why not convert to a land trip through Tuscany or the Lake District and visit some great restaurants? Then at a later time, use that credit. Did you also get a credit for the first cancellation?

Thanks for the suggestion... I am planning on doing just that, ff miles ROME to Zurich for only 8000 miles !! for a $1000 ticket is a good deal, Visit friends in Switzerland, French alps, hit some back roads and have some good eats.. Time to travel the famed ledge roads of France from Grenoble to Nice.. My French and German will insure a good time.

What is sad Is invited ( and paid for) several friends to make the cruise with me... and they are crushed and were looking forward to the O experience...

They got the O experience alright... but where the sun don't shine !!

That should have been “how close to your SAIL date were your bookings cancelled?”

7 months and for anything but coach its tough to get tickets. What was a big problem was that had numerous change, re credit, cancel fees...2 times... and If I had been dumb enough to book a third, I would have in all probability been stuck again.

What it boils down to is that O has become un trustworthy and reliable going forward Like a spouse that cheats repeatedly... how can you ever trust them again

That was my contention some time ago while I believe you claimed that you always get best deals a few days before the trip. While that may be true on some occasions it is not a good plan to rely on when you have a cruise booked and you are tied to a certain date.

That is why we always get our award flights at T-330/335 rather then hope to be able to find them close to the cruise date.

Actually I could get Business... but Via Warsaw and Newark changes a 28 hour total travel..

But then the return I would have to kill 15 days in Europe after the cruise I booked 4 tickets which adds to the complex for getting friends/guests. While I can endure a whole lot, others can not.

I always book different outbound and return records.. not RT because it get me max flex.

Mary, I have spent years narrowing down a cruise line that is what I like O was it.. I have run out of options... And it appears that the good times of the past are now memories. time to find not another cruise line but an other activity.There is more to life, in life that ship travel.....and easy to move on. Too bad,

It is not my agent he is a miracle worker, got things I never dreamed of getting. However, He is just as frustrated, as I. My takeaway is that in the last year there has been a big shift in the way O is run and by who. Lots of changes and none good lie down the road.

Same exact people are at the helm of O..no one has changed..unfortunately now they are a public company and the bottom line is what the stockholders are interested in..I honestly dont know anything about this cruise Dan but I am really sorry it happened to you and all the other clients..

Jancruz1

Same exact people are at the helm of O..no one has changed..unfortunately now they are a public company and the bottom line is what the stockholders are interested in..I honestly dont know anything about this cruise Dan but I am really sorry it happened to you and all the other clients..

Jancruz1

Thanks... the same people are at the helm but they have changed the thinking and direction of the company.

Considering this thread have been read by some 4000 persons, many O customers and each of those talks to 2 others about their negative experience and they in turn talk to 2 other potential clients thats 12,000+ folks who will not be booking with O. in the future.

I know, I talked up O over the years and put on a lot of folks with my recommendation, others did too.. Last month I was asked by 3 different couples what cruise line I loved. I no longer can do this but to tell the truth about the new business plan O seems to embrace.

With Viking making its big push, customers now have a very well positioned alternative. O needs to retain its past customers who are its biggest assets / salesmen... They are shooting themselves in the foot for short term gain.

Bad news spreads faster than butter on a hot stove. While they may make a few hundred K on charters, they will be loosing tens of millions in the coming years. I feel betrayed for my past loyality. My anger will diminish but not my memory.

O is becoming NCL with lipstick like it or not folks...

Considering this thread have been read by some 4000 persons, many O customers and each of those talks to 2 others about their negative experience and they in turn talk to 2 other potential clients thats 12,000+ folks who will not be booking with O. in the future.

Dan, I hate to see this situation not being resolved to your satisfaction. Like you I've always felt that Oceania does the right thing towards their customers.

But, I think there might be a bit of flawed logic in the part of your post I quoted there.