Cabin Steward - Christmas Trinket

I am booked on the Oasis for the 12/17/2017 sailing (Cabin 9590). I would like to leave our cabin steward a small Christmas trinket and yes, I have read the thread that says space is limited in their cabins and 'cash is king'. I still would like to bring a small gift onboard. I'm wondering if there is a way to find out who my steward will be and if they are male or female. If anyone is just off the ship and knows for certain, please post. Thanks!!! :D

You say you have read the comments and still want to give a gift. I say your heart is kind and in the right place but in reality, no steward wants your gift. Please do not take this personally. If you want to give a gift, they appreciate cash far more than any little trinket, as you call it. I'm not being mean or rude... this is simply fact.

Also, the crew rotates and it's never a given who you will get as your steward, even when you post the date and cabin.

Have fun. :)

I am booked on the Oasis for the 12/17/2017 sailing (Cabin 9590). I would like to leave our cabin steward a small Christmas trinket and yes, I have read the thread that says space is limited in their cabins and 'cash is king'. I still would like to bring a small gift onboard. I'm wondering if there is a way to find out who my steward will be and if they are male or female. If anyone is just off the ship and knows for certain, please post. Thanks!!! :D

I agree with those that posted cash although I’ve met several crew members that loved Jersheys chocolate. Iirc all were from the Caribbean. I did ask about the more expensive chocolates but was told no that’s as good.

One last idea. I have a friend who buys a twin memory foam topper and uses it across two beds swapping the width and length. Every steward she has left it with has been estatic to get it! And since they put it on the bed they know how well it was protected.

I would agree with others on this thread who have said ...

Can't predict who will be working because rotas can be assigned, reassigned. Even changed because of illness or other reasons.

Cash is always a better gift.

However much the steward may thank you and gush over the trinket you bring, trust me, it will find its way into the nearest trash bin and he/she will be really disappointed that it wasn't cash instead.

No way to know your stateroom attendant ahead of time.

CASH CASH CASH. Your steward might not be Christian, and will politely accept your "gift", with a smile, and say thank you, and as he goes behind the crew only doors, it gets dropped in the garbage. Imagine getting 30 "trinkets" a cruise. Gifts are for friends, CASH is for the service industry, so they can buy what they want and need.

No. No. No. A thousand times no. I know you said you have read some of the threads on this topic, well I have read tons of them in my 10 plus years on Cruise Critic and I cannot recall a single one where the majority opinion was anything other than give them cash if you want to show extra appreciation, or positive feedback.

As a gift, always cash.

But I will tell you a short Christmas story. We decorated our cabin one year in early December, including a magnetic scene of a Christmas tree on our door. At the end of the cruise, we asked our steward if she would like to have anything or everything to decorate her cabin. She said she would love to have the magnets so we gave them to her along with cash.

That was her choice. Not ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't waste your time with trinkets. They will end up in the garbage. Just give cash or if insist on something other then cash then just a gift card. Also there are many people who don't celebrate Christmas.

If you insist on giving some "trinket" even though you've been told over and over again that it's probably not wanted, well then the gift is more about making you feel good then doing something nice for someone. This isn't meant as an insult. Just stop and think about why you want to give something. If it's to thank your Stewart, then like I said cash is the only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

lol no. this is so rude. i know space is limited and cash is king but i don't care i'm giving them junk anyway!!!

Cash is the universal trinket they want most that works for both genders. You know it, we know it, they know it.

I'll never understand the insistence to foist baubles onto the unknown-to-you service staff like they are some performing monkey. We know who it really benefits - the misguided giver in thinking its wanted, appreciated and will somehow be reciprocated.

Cash is the universal trinket they want most that works for both genders. You know it, we know it, they know it.

I'll never understand the insistence to foist baubles onto the unknown-to-you service staff like they are some performing monkey. We know who it really benefits - the misguided giver in thinking its wanted, appreciated and will somehow be reciprocated.

It's really no different from family members who insist on gift giving at Christmas when my husband and I have specifically ask them to stop giving us, (useless), gifts. They give because it makes them feel good not because it will make us happy.

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to select a nice card with cash or a gift card and a small bag of Hershey bars. To those of you who feel I'm being selfish by giving a trinket, I'm far from it. I love gift giving and I like to think the receiver enjoys What I've chosen for them. Thanks again!!!

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to select a nice card with cash or a gift card and a small bag of Hershey bars. To those of you who feel I'm being selfish by giving a trinket, I'm far from it. I love gift giving and I like to think the receiver enjoys What I've chosen for them. Thanks again!!!

Cash + Card + Hershey's should be a win for everyone!

Great solution, you are a gem. Suggest you get those small bars that come as an assortment.

Gift card? Gift card to where?