Never saw a single dollar tipped on the MSC Seaside last week.

tallnthensome

Ironically, cruise critic sent me an email yesterday with an article entitled "7 Times You Shouldn't Tip on a Cruise" . Number one on the list is when you buy a drink!!!

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2077

My opinion:

- tipping is an incredibly emotive issue on these boards (also the other mainstream cruise lines boards).

- we have always paid the daily service charge, and at the end of the cruise give a few dollars/euros to the bar staff we feel provided great service. Personally I cannot think of any staff member that didn't want us to just have a great holiday, regardless of the tips. Yes, a few provided bad service, e.g. waiting a long time at the bar, but nothing malicious (as other times the service was good, and I'm not perfect myself).

- These small tips were always graciously received.

- I have never felt any pressure to give a tip, from any crew member.

- My gut instinct is that removing the service charges is anti-social, but I try not to judge people.

- In many ways the service charge is a much better way to tip, than just giving cash to the bar staff, waiter etc. Ultimately a lot more employees are enabling that one person to provide a good service.

- I wish MSC would publish who gets what from the service charge. This would make it easier for me to judge the people that remove the charges (oops).

:)

- I also wish MSC would go all inclusive (service charges included in the fare), like NCL has now in Europe. Purely to avoid listening to or reading about people removing the service charges....

- In the cases where we gave a small tip to our room steward or waiter, they have been enthusiastic that we mention them on the post cruise survey. I would guess they are rewarded in some way for positive feedback.

- 'when in rome' applies to tipping in whatever country you find yourself in (as well as many other behaviors in that country).

A couple of other related experiences:

- On a short Med cruise 2 years ago, we were sat in the MDR with 2 real complainers. They complained about everything, from wrong soup spoon to wanting the service charge removed from the bottle of water they ordered (something like €0.15). The waiter was Italian, and while not 100% gracious (it was Italian style service) was fun and really tried to make them happy. After the complainers left, he said it was unusual as normally people from that country just eat what he put's in front of them and then remove the service charges - haha. We asked if he got the some of the service charge, and he said yes (as well as the assistant waiter) - with hindsight I wish I had asked how much. The maitre.de offered to find another table for us, but said he didn't think the complainers would be back so we stayed on the table (and they never came back).

- On the Fantasia in the Caribbean this year, there was a couple who seemed to go round the Gaudi bar with a set conversation piece telling people how much they paid for their cruise (they thought they got it cheap by booking last year when MSC offered free drinks packages), and then how they were going to remove the service charges. I just went there for a cigarette every now and then, and over heard this conversation multiple times over the week (mixed in with other complaints about the other nationalities, ferry service (people getting on and off) etc.

Lastly, live and let live, as well as enjoy your holidays!

This is just an observation and my opinion. The ship was at least 70% European and South American and tipping must not be something that is done to my dismay. I took $200 in singles and tipped a dollar for every drink, and even cash tipped for Venchi and gelatos. The staff/bartenders was so happy when doing so. I never saw one other dollar given by anyone else. I thought the bar service was fast and excellent ...... waiters/waitresses on deck walking around taking orders and even orders in the buffet with the call buttons. They tried very hard to please and were always pleasant. I thought they deserved a tip as their service was better than on most other ships I've sailed. If you want to make some workers happy on the ship, throw them a few bucks. God knows nobody else did ..... Just saying.

Divina 3x last yr ..Tipped every time I was waited on even for coffee in the morning...Never waited for service at any time during the entire week...Seaside 3/31- 4/7. Lots of the same staff members as Divina..Again tipped every time I was served...Again never waited not even s minute for service..Along with that I brought some silly trinkets for Easter gifts .. These guys and ladies work long and very hard for minimal pay .Most have families that they support and don't see them for about 7 months.. I work hard and it makes me feel really good to tip these people and believe me they are extremely appreciative ...

Sent from my Z988 using Forums mobile app

Divina 3x last yr ..Tipped every time I was waited on even for coffee in the morning...Never waited for service at any time during the entire week...Seaside 3/31- 4/7. Lots of the same staff members as Divina..Again tipped every time I was served...Again never waited not even s minute for service..Along with that I brought some silly trinkets for Easter gifts .. These guys and ladies work long and very hard for minimal pay .Most have families that they support and don't see them for about 7 months.. I work hard and it makes me feel really good to tip these people and believe me they are extremely appreciative ...

I read this as you not wanting to wait your turn and buying your way to the front of the queue, and to justify it by claiming you're thinking of the underpaid staff.

Makes absolute no other sense why anyone would tip every single time someone serves you.

I read this as you not wanting to wait your turn and buying your way to the front of the queue, and to justify it by claiming you're thinking of the underpaid staff.

Makes absolute no other sense why anyone would tip every single time someone serves you.

Low self esteem, Ego, Low self worth, many reasons people want to stand out. Many people when on vacation throw around money and want people to believe they are important.

Low self esteem, Ego, Low self worth, many reasons people want to stand out. Many people when on vacation throw around money and want people to believe they are important.
This is the most ridiculous reply I've seen so far. It shows how clueless and out of touch with reality you truly are. You'll make every excuse you can to be a cheapskate, plain and simple. Anyone that claims that being kind to a server by tipping a simple dollar bill is done out of low self esteem and low ego has serious mental issues. Thank god there a only a few people like you for cruise ships and their staff to deal with.

This is the exact reason I do, spot on. Nothing more than sheer kindness. Tom, some of the people here will never understand it and it's not even worth trying or even expecting them to may maybe even a little bit anymore. They'll say you and I have self esteem issues (hilarious) when the real reason is their own guilt using every excuse they can come up with to make them feel better about them not tipping. Don't kid yourself, more on here wouldn't tip a dime that would admit and would remove all tips if they could.

19 cruises so far and never refused to pay the daily hotel charge to any of the cruise lines we have sailed with, now explain why a total stranger should make up the wages of a worker in a cafe, restaurant or bar whose employer should be paying them a decent wage in the first place ? A so called modern country that is still carrying out outdated practices in order to justify non payment of a decent wage.

You're probably just a cheap _-$_:

This is the exact reason I do, spot on. Nothing more than sheer kindness. Tom, some of the people here will never understand it and it's not even worth trying or even expecting them to may maybe even a little bit anymore. They'll say you and I have self esteem issues (hilarious) when the real reason is their own guilt using every excuse they can come up with to make them feel better about them not tipping. Don't kid yourself, more on here wouldn't tip a dime that would admit and would remove all tips if they could.

Now we know from reading the replies why we don't see any $ being handed over. Lol

19 cruises so far and never refused to pay the daily hotel charge to any of the cruise lines we have sailed with, now explain why a total stranger should make up the wages of a worker in a cafe, restaurant or bar whose employer should be paying them a decent wage in the first place ? A so called modern country that is still carrying out outdated practices in order to justify non payment of a decent wage.
Well, they aren't paying them a decent wage, it's the practice, and that's what it comes down to regardless. Some. not you sidari, thinks it's somehow beneficial to the cruise workers to stiff them by teaching their employer (the cruise line) a lesson by removing tips or not giving small tips. Let's ask the staff! Would you like a few dollars thrown your way for your pocket or would you like a life lesson in business and get stiffed on tips since it's for your own good? Gee, I wonder which option they'd choose ..... Ridiculous .... Never saw appreciation and a smile from a stiffed cruise worker.

Agreed in 80 cruises I have never paid them. Did need to do a couple credit card disputes but won them. Nothing or no one on this earth will every get me to pay a optional fee..... it is my choice. So many of us will keep removing these fees, most without telling anyone and that is ok. But others will remove and not care who knows.

Agreed in 80 cruises I have never paid them. Did need to do a couple credit card disputes but won them. Nothing or no one on this earth will every get me to pay a optional fee..... it is my choice. So many of us will keep removing these fees, most without telling anyone and that is ok. But others will remove and not care who knows.
How proud you must be! Congratulations on being the biggest cheapskate on the planet and no, that is not ok.

You must be related to MarinerBoy.

All of your cabin stewards when they find out (and yes, they are notified) when you remove gratuities. Think it doesn't happen?

Great laugh every time i watch this.

If you stiff your cabin steward you can expect this or something similar.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

You could only wish that upon someone like expat cruiser. You think he announces the first day to his steward that he will be removing the DSC? Heck no! He wants to be served the same way the steward expects to be tipped for his service so he'd never tell them. He also doesn't tip cash to anyone at the end regardless of what he says. He can afford to take 80 cruises but remove the DSC ..... pathetic. Sneaks off the ship hiding behind every wall and column to stay out of site as he scurries off ....

You could only wish that upon someone like expat cruiser. You think he announces the first day to his steward that he will be removing the DSC? Heck no! He wants to be served the same way the steward expects to be tipped for his service so he'd never tell them. He also doesn't tip cash to anyone at the end regardless of what he says. He can afford to take 80 cruises but remove the DSC ..... pathetic. Sneaks off the ship hiding behind every wall and column to stay out of site as he scurries off ....
He certainly gives that impression.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

What does this mean? Right is right and wrong is wrong. If you want to tip in, say, Japan, where that is not the custom, it's not the "right" thing. Does that mean you shouldn't do it? No, it doesn't, do what you want. I couldn't care less how other people spend their money, but to say that it's the "right" thing to do because no one says no is....not true.

In Japan, where saving 'face' is the most important thing in the world, tipping is a way of suggesting to the receiver that you think they're unable to care for themselves without your help, and that you're in a better position than they are.

So "does that mean you shouldn't do it?" Yes, absolutely it means you should NOT do it. It's considered offensive and insulting.

And Japan isn't the only place with this perspective on tipping.

Stephen

In Japan, where saving 'face' is the most important thing in the world, tipping is a way of suggesting to the receiver that you think they're unable to care for themselves without your help, and that you're in a better position than they are.

So "does that mean you shouldn't do it?" Yes, absolutely it means you should NOT do it. It's considered offensive and insulting.

And Japan isn't the only place with this perspective on tipping.

Stephen

My point was that YOU, as in someone who is not me, should do what you want. I don't care. I follow local customs so I should (and would, and do) not tip in Japan. Everyone is so concerned with what other people are doing it's as if they have no business of their own to mind.

All of your cabin stewards when they find out (and yes, they are notified) when you remove gratuities. Think it doesn't happen?

First off I do not leave personal items out in the cabin, they are locked away. Next with today's current cameras how hard do you think it is to record your cabin? It is very easy to do so. I can know exactly what is happening in my cabin from anyplace with wifi. If & when I found something like this it would just mean another very large payout from a cruise company. The lawsuit would be started before I even finished the cruise. I have no problem filing suits, just part of everyday business. So all those wishing this thank you.

£28 for a cheeseburger, that's ridiculous, are you sure that's correct ? Prices on menus include taxes, the only thing added might have been an optional service charge.

Might be US$28 not GBP. I have seen 15 quid charged for a burger in Cotswolds pubs. Extortion !!