World Cruise Mistakes and Horror Stories

JustOneDay

Hi there,

I'm curious to hear from those of you who have already been on a world cruise - what are some big mistakes that you made (or you heard about others making) that could have possibly been prevented in the planning stages.

Looking forward to hearing your stories, so the rest of us can avoid these situations!

Thanks,

Sue

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Too much luggage! I was appalled at the amount of luggage some folks came with (and clothes!) Nobody remembers what you wear! Using " packing cubes" for clothes allowed us to easily not only pack our clothes (8-10 tops/shirts go in a medium cube) but allowed it to be put on shelves and kept order in perhaps otherwise crowded places. We packed the same as for a 2-week cruise, with just some additional items to make the cabin useful. Mostly the extra stuff was meds and OTC items for colds, tummy problems, etc.

• Like 2

I think that booking a world cruise itself is a mistake. They are certainly NOT value for money.

Usually overpriced, cos the cruise lines know that only rich retirees can afford so much time and money. You will get fed up with the same food and daily activities for over 30 days. Also the numerous visas required are a nuisance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think that booking a world cruise itself is a mistake. They are certainly NOT value for money.

Usually overpriced, cos the cruise lines know that only rich retirees can afford so much time and money. You will get fed up with the same food and daily activities for over 30 days. Also the numerous visas required are a nuisance.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I note you didn't qualify your post with the number of World Cruises you have experienced.

We have completed 1 WC in 2015 and have signed up for a 2nd one in 2020 and in our experience we do not concur with your stated points.

- Overpriced: well cruise fares fluctuate with supply & demand. If they are more expensive, it means they must be popular. Viking base fares may seem expensive, but you must consider everything on offer. I project the overall daily cost of our 2020 Viking cruise will be similar to the 2015 WC on Princess.

- Demographics: we are both retired; however, on our last cruise many were still working. In fact 3 or the 8 people at our table were still working.

- Food: our previous WC, the menus repeated on each of the 4 segments, but with numerous choices we could easily have spent the entire 104 days without repeating a dish. How many people at home go 104 days without repeating a dish. On our next WC they bring in new Chefs periodically and focus on local dishes.

- Activities: yes, on the last WC the schedule on the 2nd half repeated almost daily. However, it certainly wasn't boring and we had lots to keep busy. Only complaint is each day only had 24 hrs. Needed more time to do everything.

- Visas: On previous WC, the only Visa we required was for Australia, all other Visas were obtained on arrival at the ports by the ship. On our next WC, Viking pays a company to acquire the Visa, so I guess having to get multiple passport size photos and posting our passports will be a real nuisance.

I recognise all WC's aren't equal, so like everything else, research is required to find one that meets your needs.

• Like 6

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I note you didn't qualify your post with the number of World Cruises you have experienced.

We have completed 1 WC in 2015 and have signed up for a 2nd one in 2020 and in our experience we do not concur with your stated points.

- Overpriced: well cruise fares fluctuate with supply & demand. If they are more expensive, it means they must be popular. Viking base fares may seem expensive, but you must consider everything on offer. I project the overall daily cost of our 2020 Viking cruise will be similar to the 2015 WC on Princess.

- Demographics: we are both retired; however, on our last cruise many were still working. In fact 3 or the 8 people at our table were still working.

- Food: our previous WC, the menus repeated on each of the 4 segments, but with numerous choices we could easily have spent the entire 104 days without repeating a dish. How many people at home go 104 days without repeating a dish. On our next WC they bring in new Chefs periodically and focus on local dishes.

- Activities: yes, on the last WC the schedule on the 2nd half repeated almost daily. However, it certainly wasn't boring and we had lots to keep busy. Only complaint is each day only had 24 hrs. Needed more time to do everything.

- Visas: On previous WC, the only Visa we required was for Australia, all other Visas were obtained on arrival at the ports by the ship. On our next WC, Viking pays a company to acquire the Visa, so I guess having to get multiple passport size photos and posting our passports will be a real nuisance.

I recognise all WC's aren't equal, so like everything else, research is required to find one that meets your needs.

Wow, 104 nights! That's amazing!!

1) How did they manage 104 different shows? Was there a show every night?

2) What about the other gameshows and entertainment for 104 days? Was it different every evening?

3) How many champagne art auctions? How many champagne bottles as prizes?

4) How many theme parties? How many pool parties?

5) How many comedy shows? How many gameshows?

6) How many formal nights with lobster and steak?

7) How many countries? How many visas? How many blank pages are required in your passport for visas?

8) What was the (cruise only) cost per person? How much did you spend in all?

I have great difficulty convincing my wife to come for even a 29 night cruise I booked at an incredible price. She says a 7-10 night cruise is ideal. She even found a 14 night cruise to be too long and tiresome. Even boring. I really envy you!

Pardon me for all the questions and thanks again for for the information!

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

one major thing to keep in mind is that WiFi will not always be reliably available. Put you bills on auto pay and then you can review when you can.

Horror stories are broken bones and death...both which can happen at your home sweet home but it is a bit more hassle!!!!

A WC was never on our bucket list....HOwever we had the most incredible time of our lives on Viking's inaugural World Cruise. Adjusting to everyday life has been shocking. We were never bored with ship board activities, itinerary or excursions, food, fellow passengers or each other!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As one who has sailed one and one-quarter world cruises, I take exception to your comment "that only rich retirees can afford so much time and money". I am not in that category. I saved and invested during my working years and I am now able to enjoy the benefits of my frugality. Most thankfully!

Was I ready for the cruises to end? No. Were the preparations for the cruise a nuisance? They were a learning experience. Was I bored? No. I experienced much; I learned much; I met many very pleasant people, some of whom I remain in contact. I also met a very small minority of people with whom I hope I never meet again (and they may feel the same about me).

I can understand those who feel that too long of a cruise is inappropriate for them. We all have our likes/dislikes, our preferences. Some like avocados; I don't. I am not going to think any less of those who enjoy avocados.

I'd encourage you to continue to cruise for how many days your wife and you find enjoyable. Maybe over time, you might find extending the length of your cruise becoming possible.

• Like 3

I take exception to your comment "that only rich retirees can afford so much time and money". I am not in that category. I saved and invested during my working years and I am now able to enjoy the benefits of my frugality.

My friend and I will be on the 2019 Oceania world cruise and we are just like you....not anywhere close to being rich, just live frugally and have saved like crazy for years working as registered nurses. This trip is the blessing of hard work and sacrifice. :halo:

• Like 5

A WC was never on our bucket list....HOwever we had the most incredible time of our lives on Viking's inaugural World Cruise. Adjusting to everyday life has been shocking. We were never bored with ship board activities, itinerary or excursions, food, fellow passengers or each other!!!!

Lucky you! Do you have any answers to my questions in post 9 ?

Wow, 104 nights! That's amazing!!

1) How did they manage 104 different shows? Was there a show every night? On WC's guest entertainers change out about every week. Each entertainer performed 2 different shows. On the 2015 Princess WC the singers/dancers were contracted out and were poor. The singers/dancers performed their shows in each segment, but after a couple of shows we never returned.

2) What about the other gameshows and entertainment for 104 days? Was it different every evening? The schedule changed every evening, with multiple options. Some gameshows were obviously repeated, but with different questions. The cruise long lad v's lassie trivia was well attended.

3) How many champagne art auctions? How many champagne bottles as prizes? No idea, not interested. Next WC on Viking they have ZERO. Don't cruise to purchase or even look at artwork.

4) How many theme parties? How many pool parties? We had many, although some were cancelled due to weather

5) How many comedy shows? How many gameshows? Lots

6) How many formal nights with lobster and steak? Approx 10 to 12 formal nights on last WC, on next WC none

7) How many countries? How many visas? How many blank pages are required in your passport for visas? We visited about 35 countries and only required 1 visa pre-cruise - Australia. Easy online application, which cost DW about $20, as she only has Canadian passport, I used my UK passport and it was free. Other Visas were received onboard and charged to your account. Believe we needed about 6 blank pages.

8) What was the (cruise only) cost per person? How much did you spend in all? Cruise cost about $30K pp for balcony cabin. Our total additional spend for flights, medical insurance, travel insurance, onboard spend, ashore spend, planning, etc was $50 - 60K. Being Elite, we had no costs for laundry or wifi. Biggest cost drivers are flights, insurance and tours.

I have great difficulty convincing my wife to come for even a 29 night cruise I booked at an incredible price. She says a 7-10 night cruise is ideal. She even found a 14 night cruise to be too long and tiresome. Even boring. I really envy you!

Pardon me for all the questions and thanks again for for the information!

See responses to each of your questions.

• Like 1

Lucky you! Do you have any answers to my questions in post 9 ?

I'm not "deec", but I can share what is available on Oceania. It's a 180 day world cruise.

With port intensive itineraries and a very long cruise, I doubt if many people find a different, nightly show is a priority. A 7 or 14 day cruise is different.

2) What about the other gameshows and entertainment for 104 days? Was it different every evening?

Same answer as above. More about seeing the world than seeing shows.

The more upscale cruiselines, such as Oceania and others, don't have champagne waterfalls or art auctions. Or photographers, or charging for non-alcoholic drinks, or charging for specialty restaurants, etc. No nickle & diming.

Theme parties or pool parties might happen....I've heard that when we pass over the equator, there will be an "initiation" ceremony at the pool for those who have never crossed it before. Sounds fun. But no hairy chest contests or newlywed games.

World cruises aren't "party" cruises like a 5-day Carnival Bahamas cruise. Most world travelers are experienced travelers and don't need constant games.

Oceania doesn't have formal nights (thank goodness!). And freshly grilled steak and lobster is available daily in ALL of the food venues....MDR, specialty restaurants, Terrace buffet and the Waves sandwich grill.

7) How many countries? How many visas? How many blank pages are required in your passport for visas?

Our cruise will visit 36 countries, we'll get 5 visas (the cruiseline gets and pays for them), and I just got the large passport when I renewed (52 pages).

Not sure why someone would get the "cruise only" for a 6 months long cruise where you will just end up paying for many needed things by yourself, but the cruise only price on my cruise is $36,399 for a category G inside cabin.

• Like 2

Lots of great info here, as I’m looking into the 2020 Oceania WC. I would be traveling solo. Would there be other solo peeps there? How about dinner?

I suggest you go to the 2020 Oceania roll call and ask about how many singles they have on the roll call. May be other solos on the cruise who aren't on Cruise Critic.

About dinner.....I'm assuming you mean is it "anytime" or "traditional?" The main dining room is "anytime" dining; the specialty restaurants are too but need a reservation. We love dinner in the Terrace Cafe (buffet)....very casual and including freshly grilled steak, lobster tails, chops, chicken, etc.

I suggest you go to the 2020 Oceania roll call and ask about how many singles they have on the roll call. May be other solos on the cruise who aren't on Cruise Critic.

About dinner.....I'm assuming you mean is it "anytime" or "traditional?" The main dining room is "anytime" dining; the specialty restaurants are too but need a reservation. We love dinner in the Terrace Cafe (buffet)....very casual and including freshly grilled steak, lobster tails, chops, chicken, etc.

Excellent advice. I’m going to head over there. Thanks!

one major thing to keep in mind is that WiFi will not always be reliably available. Put you bills on auto pay and then you can review when you can.

Horror stories are broken bones and death...both which can happen at your home sweet home but it is a bit more hassle!!!!

Here - Here I Agree on your comments!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not "deec", but I can share what is available on Oceania. It's a 180 day world cruise.

With port intensive itineraries and a very long cruise, I doubt if many people find a different, nightly show is a priority. A 7 or 14 day cruise is different.

Same answer as above. More about seeing the world than seeing shows.

The more upscale cruiselines, such as Oceania and others, don't have champagne waterfalls or art auctions. Or photographers, or charging for non-alcoholic drinks, or charging for specialty restaurants, etc. No nickle & diming.

Theme parties or pool parties might happen....I've heard that when we pass over the equator, there will be an "initiation" ceremony at the pool for those who have never crossed it before. Sounds fun. But no hairy chest contests or newlywed games.

World cruises aren't "party" cruises like a 5-day Carnival Bahamas cruise. Most world travelers are experienced travelers and don't need constant games.

Oceania doesn't have formal nights (thank goodness!). And freshly grilled steak and lobster is available daily in ALL of the food venues....MDR, specialty restaurants, Terrace buffet and the Waves sandwich grill.

Our cruise will visit 36 countries, we'll get 5 visas (the cruiseline gets and pays for them), and I just got the large passport when I renewed (52 pages).

Not sure why someone would get the "cruise only" for a 6 months long cruise where you will just end up paying for many needed things by yourself, but the cruise only price on my cruise is $36,399 for a category G inside cabin.

Thanks so much!

For us, 100 (more or less) days cruising and all of the ports visited is overload. All of the sites blend into a blur, shipboard life gets tiresome and we miss our home and family. We've taken segments of different world cruises, never longer than 32 days (and for me, even that was too long). We choose an area of the world we are interested in visiting and try to do a 20-ish day segment and then another year, another spot on the globe.

• Like 2

I think you need to know yourself to really enjoy a world cruise.

When I first cruised overseas from Australia to London (half a world cruise each way), I was full of wonder, up on deck first thing to see all port arrivals and on deck last thing for every sailaway. Everything was new and exotic!

Now, having visited many places on world cruises on land holidays, I know I wouldn't enjoy short times in port, nor lots of sea days, cruising past lots of places I'd love to revisit.

Now Grand Voyages to new destinations are another matter, as I haven't lost my sense of wonder and joy of new discoveries.

How many world cruises have you taken?

How many world cruises have you taken?

I think that cruises over a month are substantially overpriced, so I would never buy them.

However, we have booked a half world cruise, cos it was a bargain. Just like the repositioning, transatlantic and transpacific cruises.

Very long cruises are not discounted, in fact they are disproportionately more expensive.

If an inside cabin in a 7 night cruise is $500, an inside cabin in a 112 night cruise is MUCH MORE than $8000 (16 times). Do the math.

Pardon me, but I think that a very long cruise is certainly NOT value for money.(Please don't take it personally, it's just my opinion!

• Like 1