Caribbean ports changed due to storm damage?

kingstonKouple72

Having lived in St Thomas and currently in Florida and living through hurricanes I can say that those hoping to visit some of these devastated islands have no idea what is ahead for those places. Not only are they still assessing the damages, if people and businesses are insured it will take time for the insurance companies to pay up. Nothing will be done without the capital needed to purchase the supplies.

As much as I know people think that just by being on the islands and spending money will help, it may not. Thousands of people descending on a small island without any place to go and anything to do will only clog streets and create targets for desperate unethical people, let alone expose yourselves to potentially dangerous diseases. Where do you think all the replacement vehicles will come from to take tourists to beaches? There will be no public restrooms, no power to provide refrigeration to store food for tourists nor propane to cook with. All of these services are shipped in from someplace else. The ports need to be available for ships to deliver EVERYTHING.

Right now we are recovering from hurricane Irma and the last thing I want is for friends and family to come and visit. We need to get back to "normal" and recover from the experience before I will be able to welcome anyone in my home. My family and friends love me, just as you love the islands, but showing up in the middle of a recovery is not how you show appreciation.

Having said this we are scheduled to go on vacation in November and our itinerary will likely be changed because of the devastation. I do not feel the need to go to these islands because this is also my vacation. As much as it is sad when bad things happen to people and places I for one will be ready to get away from devastation and enjoy some well deserved relaxation.

Just a little different take on this topic and something to ponder. We all have differing views on both before and after major hurricanes to any land mass. It's human nature, but for those of you who are not true survivors of a devastating storm it feels a little harsh to us when you say so defiantly that you Know how it will all turn out. As a survivor of IVAN, who walked and road the streets and beaches to help, helplessly at times, I can tell you it is something you really don't want to see. And yes, I'm a cruiser, and always will be. All I ask is you tread lightly when speaking among survivors wherever we are. Happy cruising wherever you may go.

Hurricane Luis in 1995 was only a Cat.4 and cause catastrophic damage. They were months without power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Luis

My parents were without power for a month after Sandy struck Long Island. We have roads, supplies, manpower from other states and it still took a month to get power to a well populated neighborhood. These people who think they are going to be of any help by occupying a devastated Island and spending a few dollars on some Tee shirts is laughable.

My parents were without power for a month after Sandy struck Long Island. We have roads, supplies, manpower from other states and it still took a month to get power to a well populated neighborhood. These people who think they are going to be of any help by occupying a devastated Island and spending a few dollars on some Tee shirts is laughable.

And for some, the Sandy saga is still going on.

The port of call affected will receive tourists when they are ready. France, nd, UK, etc, have said they will take care of rebuilding the infrastructure and help individual. I don't see government rebuilding businesses, apart maybe extending no interest loan. People and business over there have a choice - either stay or go back to the continent with the family.

As for alternative port of call, it also depends the length of your cruise and your departure port. Martinique is a nice island but too far for a 7 day cruise from Florida unless you have 5 sea days. Correct me if I'm wrong. At-kitts make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

St Kitts is a great choice for an alternative if available. Our cruises are usually 9 to 12 days so Martinique is doable, depending on other stops on the itin route,..Guess cruise lines will be working to sort it all out...very big job.

The water in all this affected ports can not be good to swim in. St. Maarten already had a pollution issue at some beaches. I can't imagine how much contamination there is after a storm. There was a video of people swimming in the Keys to cool off. I am not sure what I would do if it were 100 degrees and that was my option.

For everyone saying they are "worried" about their cruise - are you listening to yourselves? People are worried about where they are going to sleep; where they are going to get some water to drink or food to eat; worried about what's next in their lives. You're worried about where your cruise ship is going? Unbelievable.

This is a CRUISE DISCUSSION website. Are people supposed to stop talking about their cruises here, and for how long would be acceptable to you?

We have 6 cruises booked and some will be affected by the hurricanes. We aren't "worried", will go wherever the ship does and enjoy. But if someone else is I'm not offended by them saying so on a cruise discussion site.

For everyone saying they are "worried" about their cruise - are you listening to yourselves? People are worried about where they are going to sleep; where they are going to get some water to drink or food to eat; worried about what's next in their lives. You're worried about where your cruise ship is going? Unbelievable.

What is unbelievable is that you are on "CruiseCritic" discussing cruises when there are people in this world in the middle east fighting for survival, starving people in Africa, Sex trafficking, Drug addition is rampant in this country and really all over the world. That is the logic of your comment above. Not sure about you - but I get a few weeks a year for vacation and I usually take cruises. When I book them - I am paying good money that I want to make sure I am going to get my money's worth. So while the devastation is horrible from the storms, so is the aforementioned things going on in this world every single day - but yet you and I continue on with our lives and book our travels. So don't act so "shocked" that someone is asking about their future cruise. If you are, then stay off the site, don't book a cruise and feel free to give all your money to the relief efforts.

What is unbelievable is that you are on "CruiseCritic" discussing cruises when there are people in this world in the middle east fighting for survival, starving people in Africa, Sex trafficking, Drug addition is rampant in this country and really all over the world. That is the logic of your comment above. Not sure about you - but I get a few weeks a year for vacation and I usually take cruises. When I book them - I am paying good money that I want to make sure I am going to get my money's worth. So while the devastation is horrible from the storms, so is the aforementioned things going on in this world every single day - but yet you and I continue on with our lives and book our travels. So don't act so "shocked" that someone is asking about their future cruise. If you are, then stay off the site, don't book a cruise and feel free to give all your money to the relief efforts.

Here Here....Where's the "LIKE" icon? Oh no, that's on another site who's mention will get you tossed from here for a week....FACEBOOK FACEBOOK FACEBOOK....

What I find "unbelievable" is the inability of some people to walk and chew gum at the same time.

I donate to the Salvation Army, to the ASPCA and my local animal shelter. I donate to every food drive that appears whether it is at my mailbox or supermarket.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those being persecuted around the world and to the men and women in our and other armed forces that are on the front lines fighting evil all around the world.

I also worry about spending a ton of money and using what little time I have to enjoy a once a year special vacation with my wife.

I pity people who are so limited that they have to make a comment like the one quoted above.

bosco

There is a temporary Tower set up now at Princess Juliana Airport. That is very good news!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All steps in a good direction. As a btw, KLM have just posted that they anticipate that it will be over a year before the island will be able to handle the same number of tourists as pre-Irma.

All steps in a good direction. As a btw, KLM have just posted that they anticipate that it will be over a year before the island will be able to handle the same number of tourists as pre-Irma.

And some may not be that keen to return ( yet again) after reading about what has gone on,...The Carib/St Maarten, Martin board is really showing and telliing some very scary tales! Who knew.,.????

Time will tell....

Amen. We can care, contribute, be concerned about others and their problems. But we cannot take every one else's problems upon our shoulders or we would surely crumble. Life goes on. We cannot stop living ours just because others are in a horrible position. The most (and best) thing we can do is provide whatever financial support we can offer and go on and live our own lives. And to people who think the last thing the islands need now is people buying cheap t-shirts and so on - of course that is correct. But these islands do rely on tourism for most of their income, so when they are able to welcome tourists they will do so gladly. They get revenue from our purchases and also a significant amount from port charges. Indeed they do need that revenue coming in as soon as it is realistically possible.

what is unbelievable is that you are on "cruisecritic" discussing cruises when there are people in this world in the middle east fighting for survival, starving people in africa, sex trafficking, drug addition is rampant in this country and really all over the world. That is the logic of your comment above. Not sure about you - but i get a few weeks a year for vacation and i usually take cruises. When i book them - i am paying good money that i want to make sure i am going to get my money's worth. So while the devastation is horrible from the storms, so is the aforementioned things going on in this world every single day - but yet you and i continue on with our lives and book our travels. So don't act so "shocked" that someone is asking about their future cruise. If you are, then stay off the site, don't book a cruise and feel free to give all your money to the relief efforts.

Of course as basically every hotel and resort was destroyed so there is no place for land vacationers to stay. Cruise business will recover first as there are no accommodations involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wish there was a like button on here.

Many of these island people have no shelter, power, clean water or enough food.Doubt that the arrival or non arrival of cruise ships are their priority right now

Jesus with everything that is happening now you are worried about Jan 2018. REALLY !!!

Please cut OP some slack..it is pretty ridiculous to beat someone up simply because they are wondering what may happen to a trip they may have spent thousands of dollars on...Asking a question doesn't mean they don't care about the tragedy that happened to all of the residents and the devastation that occurred...Get over yourself

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Please cut OP some slack..it is pretty ridiculous to beat someone up simply because they are wondering what may happen to a trip they may have spent thousands of dollars on...Asking a question doesn't mean they don't care about the tragedy that happened to all of the residents and the devastation that occurred...Get over yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP's question is not out of line or the post that is being targeted. It's some of the replies about actually going to these islands in 3 months time and expecting them to be up and running so passengers can stimulate their economy that are being targeted. Then there are those who are not happy with Jamaica which I can't blame them for. However, if you book a Caribbean cruise during the height of hurricane season you had better be prepared for a change in itinerary. I am sure that any new port of call added as a replacement will be happy to receive the unexpected additional spending to help their economy.