Bringing wine on board (haven't seen this asked or answered yet...)

I'm in the wine business, and have a decent amount of terrific wine, and planning to bring my allotted amount of wine on board for my 7 day on Adventure in July.

My question is, do they consider a Magnum (1.5L) of wine as ONE bottle?

2nd question on the same topic, we have 3 rooms. Two are adjoining for my wife and myself, attached to my son and daughter, and the third is for my parents. Am I allowed to bring 2 bottles for EACH room???? So can I bring 6 bottles?????

TIA!

It must be 750 bottles..NOT the 1.5's You are allowed 2 of the normal bottles.

You can put (on paper only) wife in with 1 kid, you with another, and your parents in a room...that way you could bring 6 bottles. You don't have to sleep that way.

QAm I allowed to bring alcohol onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

A

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use.

Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them. Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

Guests are allowed to bring two additional 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom, for each individual sailing, when sailing on consecutive cruises. Additional bottles beyond two, will be stored by the ship and delivered, two bottles at a time, to the stateroom on the first day of each new voyage. Guests bringing four bottles at the start of the first sailing should have documentation for both sailings available to share with security.

Is a 21+ year old booked in each cabin? If so, each cabin may bring two bottles of wine (if all six you all go through security together, that is six bottles amongst the group). If you arrive separately, carting another party’s wine will throw you over your carryon limit.

If your children are both under 21 and are booked together in a cabin, you may want to swap names on booking so one parent and one child are in each cabin.

Is a 21+ year old booked in each cabin? If so, each cabin may bring two bottles of wine (if all six you all go through security together, that is six bottles amongst the group). If you arrive separately, carting another party’s wine will throw you over your carryon limit.

If your children are both under 21 and are booked together in a cabin, you may want to swap names on booking so one parent and one child are in each cabin.

I've not carried wine aboard before but plan to do so for our upcoming 3/31 cruise on Freedom. When you go through security, are they checking your Set Sail pass or your Seapass card to see who's sharing a cabin?

As of now, our bookings have my wife and I each with one of our kids. Upon check-in, we'll switch it so my wife and I are together in the same stateroom.

If we can bring four bottles, great. If not, I don't want a hassle at security. Can anyone articulate exactly how this process works?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On my previous cruises they have never checked in such detail.

My last cruise was the first one where my underage kids were booked in their own cabin, but I just told them I had three cabins (which we did) and took 6 bottles with us in our carry on. They did not check to see who was booked into each cabin.

I've not carried wine aboard before but plan to do so for our upcoming 3/31 cruise on Freedom. When you go through security, are they checking your Set Sail pass or your Seapass card to see who's sharing a cabin?

As of now, our bookings have my wife and I each with one of our kids. Upon check-in, we'll switch it so my wife and I are together in the same stateroom.

If we can bring four bottles, great. If not, I don't want a hassle at security. Can anyone articulate exactly how this process works?

There’s no real process.... at least in Port Canaveral that was the case. Just bring your 6 bottles through and when the people manning the X-ray machines ask how many staterooms you have tell them 3. Heck bring 8 bottles and tell them 4!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The allowed bottles to bring onboard is 2/room. If you were to consume in the room no problem, but if you bring to a restaurant or "other public area" there is a corkage fee of $15, correct?

In theory yes, but in practice it seems not always to be the case. Our last RC cruise was on Jewel in November and we took several bottles of wine into the DR and all the speciality restaurants and were never charged corkage fee. There was a thread on here some time ago after they reintroduced the corkage fee charge and generally it seemed that the charge was not being reinforced.

This never occurred to me but now that you bring it up, this was our experience on Adventure out of San Juan a month ago. Friends we were traveling with wanted to bring 3 bottles of wine on board. They wanted to bring some wine to dinner on a couple of occasions. We offered to carry one bottle for them and DW had one of her own so that made two for us. The only place the wine was questioned was going through the x-ray entering the terminal. They never asked at the check-in counter and they never asked as we boarded the ship. Now, we were only two people carrying two bottles so we weren't pushing the limit but they never asked to see our Set Sail Pass or who was traveling with who or how many cabins we had. I think if I had had two bottles with me, we could have brought 4 on and nobody would have known the difference. As for the corkage fee, our friends brought wine to dinner on two occasions and were never charged a corkage fee.

I am sorry that I sent the OP off on a rant by suggesting that one might change the booking arrangement. I of course did not know about his prior beverage package sale purchases. And his TA, who could have known, did not warn him.

Others have suggested carrying on excess of two per cabin. And many timed that will work. Usually nobody has questioned the number of bottles or our cabin numbers. But in many cruises it has happened twice.

Once at Port Canaveral during spring break timeframe. Everyone with bottles in carryones was directed to tables just past security. Every bottle of water was shaken, cap seal inspected, and logged with passenger name and cabin number. Wine bottles were counted, examined, especially cap, and logged, again with passenger name and cabin number (taken from printed documents). They were trying hard not to allow extra alcohol onboard, presumably to avoid dangerous hammered spring breakers.

The other time, DH and I arrived (legitimately) with eight bottles between us. We tried to explain the number, but they simply sent us to a formal security desk and desk attendant called their supervisor. Upon looking at our documentation of two separate cabin for two back to back cruises, they understood the eight bottles. By rule, they could have held four of the bottles for the second leg of our b2b, but they did not bother to do so. We carried all eight bottles to our cabins.

So one might succeed in bringing in extras, or one might find them confiscated.

What port? We also cruised on Adventure out of San Juan with 2 under aged kids in the cabin next to us (booked as parents in one room, kids in another). Brought 4 bottles on board and no one said a word. From what I've read, this is common in San Juan. In fact, the person who sold us the wine in the little shop in the terminal told us to board with our 4 bottles, come back off the ship, and then board again with 4 more bottles. :D Maybe we got lucky??

I'm in the wine business, and have a decent amount of terrific wine, and planning to bring my allotted amount of wine on board for my 7 day on Adventure in July.

2nd question on the same topic, we have 3 rooms. Two are adjoining for my wife and myself, attached to my son and daughter, and the third is for my parents. Am I allowed to bring 2 bottles for EACH room???? So can I bring 6 bottles?????

TIA!

750 ml bottles ONLY. if one cabin has just the two minors booked into it, then you may only bring 4 bottles on board.

there is a wine shop in the san juan terminal? Do tell?

Yes, after security on the left side as you walk in there is a duty free shop. We bought our bottled water there two weeks ago. There is also a small selection of wine.

There’s no real process.... at least in Port Canaveral that was the case. Just bring your 6 bottles through and when the people manning the X-ray machines ask how many staterooms you have tell them 3. Heck bring 8 bottles and tell them 4!

Is this just another rule you choose to ignore?

Red Hat

TIA!

Didn’t you bring this up once before on another thread?

If your intent is to beat the system or rules, it is wrong.