To All Our CC Friends In Southern California

1ANGELCAT

Thank you! We live at the beach in Encinitas and was woken up with the smell

Of smoke. The Santa Ana’s were blowing from the east so went right from our bedroom window to our ocean facing one.

Vista is about 10-15 miles inland east and the smoke and fires were coming from there an Fallbrooke. Right now we are on our balcony at sunset and there is smoke out on the horizon. I do not smell any smoke like this am around 5.00.

Denise:)

Yes,,, I join all who send our good thoughts and prayers to you that you and yours remain safe, your homes and buisnesses undamaged. Please know many across the country/ world, are worried for you all.

While we are not in the current fire areas I wanted to add a bit more info. I’m a native to this area, and, um, a senior citizen.😳

The weather this past week (in our area) hasn’t been hot by any means, but it is very dry. (The type of dry that makes skin itch and burn no matter how much moisturizer you put on). Typically our Santa Ana winds are warm or hot. There have been several broadcasts from Incident Command where experienced fire professionals (30+years) have rated risk as extreme and worst they have seen).

We had lots of rain last year, and consequently lots of plant growth. (This past spring brought the most incredible wildflower show all around.) Most of the trails locally where I ride were closed due to overgrowth- 8-12 foot tall mustard in rugged terrain). We have not had rain yet to moisten the dead vegetation or start the grasses growing again, which just supports fire risk.

There have already been a number of fires, “small” in comparison, through out so cal (and in our immediate area), which would have only made “local” news. In 1 week there were 4- all which started at the base of a hill and along major roads. There has been a tremendous amount of dust blowing and occasionally the scent of smoke all week.

Having said that, in our area the temperature is down and there are some clouds, and we can see stars here. And it is not as dry.

Our Lilac fire here as of this am is 15% contained. 4,100 acres destroyed. No winds right now suppose to be picking up this evening, still increased fire risk.

Our Amtrak from San Diego to LA today is canceled. The fire fighters hope to keep it contained by building a fire line around it. Last night the sunset over the water you could see the haze of smoke.

There are so many CCERS here in San Diego who appreciate your reply’s. We are not near the area but so worry about our friends who have homes up in the area.

There have already been a number of fires, “small” in comparison, through out so cal (and in our immediate area), which would have only made “local” news. In 1 week there were 4- all which started at the base of a hill and along major roads. There has been a tremendous amount of dust blowing and occasionally the scent of smoke all week.

Having said that, in our area the temperature is down and there are some clouds, and we can see stars here. And it is not as dry.

I bolded the above statement because we've had fires this year, one of which was very close to my sister's home, which were found to be started by cigarette butts tossed out of windows of moving cars. I hope that is not the case with these fires but I fear it may be the cause simply because you said the four recent ones were along major roads. I wish all smokers would disgard their cigarette butts in a safe manner.

I hope you both and all other CC'ers in Southern California stay safe!

I bolded the above statement because we've had fires this year, one of which was very close to my sister's home, which were found to be started by cigarette butts tossed out of windows of moving cars. I hope that is not the case with these fires but I fear it may be the cause simply because you said the four recent ones were along major roads. I wish all smokers would disgard their cigarette butts in a safe manner.

I hope you both and all other CC'ers in Southern California stay safe!

Many of us suspect non-unintentional ignition for several of the fires..... in the case of 1 of those I mentioned, there were 2 spots that started at once around 2 AM and a car in the side of the road was reported.

Our Lilac fire here as of this am is 15% contained. 4,100 acres destroyed. No winds right now suppose to be picking up this evening, still increased fire risk.

Our Amtrak from San Diego to LA today is canceled. The fire fighters hope to keep it contained by building a fire line around it. Last night the sunset over the water you could see the haze of smoke.

There are so many CCERS here in San Diego who appreciate your reply’s. We are not near the area but so worry about our friends who have homes up in the area.

Thank you for sharing this inforrmaion with us. I am looking at snow falling outisde mmy window today and the contrast of weather here on the right coast to the left is stunning. We are experiencing very light snnow but know thi s storm was severe for many as it made its way east and north to the northeast. . Our beautiful country today is dealing with such variable weather and we can only hope and pray all stay safe.

Thank you all southern CA's people for checking.

Glad you are all safe and remain so.

Crazy weather -- about 10 miles from us last week there were a couple of brush fires -- thankfully they did not spread. We are super dry. Had very little rain this fall. Right now it is cold but no snow. Many of us still have brown leaves on the trees that are frozen in place.

I'm my phone do please forgive typos. Can someone please tell me if the 15 is open from San Diego through Riverside? I have to drive home around 4 this afternoon and have spotty cell service where I'm at, which is on North Island.

This mornings incident report only lists one road closure which is hwy 76 at interstate 15 and East Vista Way

CalTrans says: Before driving, check with the Caltrans Highway Information Network (CHIN) 800.427.7623

Thank you! We live at the beach in Encinitas and was woken up with the smell

Of smoke. The Santa Ana’s were blowing from the east so went right from our bedroom window to our ocean facing one.

Vista is about 10-15 miles inland east and the smoke and fires were coming from there an Fallbrooke. Right now we are on our balcony at sunset and there is smoke out on the horizon. I do not smell any smoke like this am around 5.00.

Denise, How things in your area today? any more control offhe fires?

BE Safe

BE Safe

Goodmorning Sails!

According to our local news 60% contained and still only 4,100 Acres! That is good news the sad news 46 throughbred

horses have passed away! On one throughbred farm 25 died and the owners were severely burned trying to help!

Del Mar is right next door to Encinitas and we were down at the fair grounds where they have set up a shelter for the animals they have rescued I hopes the owners can find them as well as a place for the people who were able to rescue their animals.

Our temps today along the coasts 80!!!!!

This am on our walk it was warm and Santa Ana’s were starting. Cross fingers

It subsides. Like I said we live at the beach and could smell smoke and over the horizon of the ocean. Again last night sunset was spectacular due to the smoke bright oranges.

BE Safe

As Denise mentioned, the good news for our 'Lilac' fire here in North SD County is that it is now 60 percent contained, and firefighters made significant progress through last night into today.

The burn area is still 4,100 acres although the number of structures destroyed has jumped to 182 structures, up from 85.

Roughly 15,000 structures remain threatened.

Goodmorning Sails!

According to our local news 60% contained and still only 4,100 Acres! That is good news the sad news 46 throughbred

horses have passed away! On one throughbred farm 25 died and the owners were severely burned trying to help!

Del Mar is right next door to Encinitas and we were down at the fair grounds where they have set up a shelter for the animals they have rescued I hopes the owners can find them as well as a place for the people who were able to rescue their animals.

Our temps today along the coasts 80!!!!!

This am on our walk it was warm and Santa Ana’s were starting.

Cross fingers

It subsides. Like I said we live at the beach and could smell smoke and over the horizon of the ocean. Again last night sunset was spectacular due to the smoke bright oranges.

Thank you for the update.

How awful about those beautiful horses. I heard ab out them on the news. I can't imagine how many domestic pets are lost.

Hope you all stay safe.

Thanks to all CC members from abroad who have wished us well and sent prayers. For the first time in our 25 years in Oceanside, we were put on an voluntary evacuation warning. I smelled the smoke around 1:00 pm last Thursday, immediately went to a TV and saw that Bonsall and the San Luis Rey Equestrian Center was on fire about 8 miles away but the wind and fire was blowing in our direction.

The weathermen and authorities had given ample warning about the conditions, you just never expect it to happen in your area. Our son and his girlfriends family, who live nearby and much closer to the actuals fires were put on Mandatory evacuation and came to stay with us, hoping our number would not be called next. Point being, we all had to go thru the process of 'packing our bags' with those possession we deemed most important, and then sit and wait until the orders came. That is the psychological chiller, if you have ever had to do that.

The scariest part was Thursday night when Cal Fire said this fire might go all way thru Camp Pendleton and all the way to the Pacific. Fortunately, that never happened, the Santa Ana winds died down in the following days and never re-surfaced like expected, giving firefighters the chance to finally achieve some containment.

While there has been no loss of life in this fire, a lot of people lost their homes. What most people may remember about this fire though may be the horrific loss of equestrian life at the San Luis Rey Down Throroughbred training facility. The TV broadcast of horses running loose around stable areas and loose on the grounds was difficult to watch. The stories coming out of that tragedy are also heartbreaking.

We just returned from our latest cruise December 2, we can't imagine what it would have been like if we were sailing this week when all of this was happening, there would have been nothing we could have done.

Thanks again for your best wishes and prayers and keep them coming for our friends in Ventura and Santa Barbara who are facing a much bigger fire catastrophe.