Filing a Ins. claim due to trip cancellation of destination

Has anyone experienced filing a claim (trip Cancellation) due to insured's Destination being made Uninhabitable. When the destination being the change of ports from Eastern Caribbean to the Western Caribbean.

My carrier is Travel Guard and I proposed this to their CS who simply suggested I file the claim she did mention my destination was the Caribbean, however I do feel I purchased tickets for the E. Caribbean and not just the Caribbean. Any helpful info out there is welcomed.

Ports are cancelled and changed all the time and is allowed under the terms of the contract. I have never heard of anyone filing an insurance claim for that reason, nor do I think it would be successful.

Has anyone experienced filing a claim (trip Cancellation) due to insured's Destination being made Uninhabitable. When the destination being the change of ports from Eastern Caribbean to the Western Caribbean.

My carrier is Travel Guard and I proposed this to their CS who simply suggested I file the claim she did mention my destination was the Caribbean, however I do feel I purchased tickets for the E. Caribbean and not just the Caribbean. Any helpful info out there is welcomed.

There is no chance. Your vacation has not been cancelled

I agree with the previous posters. The cruise contract to which you agreed specifies that ports can be changed. There was no violation of the contract. Ports are changed/canceled all the time. I've never heard of an insurance policy that would cover this. Does your policy actually have such a provision? While I doubt it, I'd be interested in hearing whether or not you get any sort of compensation.

Nationwide has a cruise policy that reimburses you for itinerary changes after final payment. I know not much help now but may be worth looking into for the future if this is a concern.

https://travel.nationwide.com/plans-cruise-luxury.html

IMO they could sail in a circle and I’d be good with it (atleast on a Caribbean itinerary).

There is no chance. Your vacation has not been cancelled

No it hasn't but the ports were. and I didn't purchase a trip for the whole Caribbean just the Eastern.

TRIP CANCELLATION AND INTERRUPTIONThe Company will reimburse the Insured a benefit, up to theMaximum Limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page, ifan Insured cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue onhis/her Trip due to any of the following Unforeseen events:

(f) the Insured’s Destination being made Uninhabitable orinaccessible by flood, tornado, earthquake, volcaniceruption, fire, wildfire or blizzard that is due to naturalcauses, vandalism or burglary;

No it hasn't but the ports were. and I didn't purchase a trip for the whole Caribbean just the Eastern.

TRIP CANCELLATION AND INTERRUPTIONThe Company will reimburse the Insured a benefit, up to theMaximum Limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page, ifan Insured cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue onhis/her Trip due to any of the following Unforeseen events:

(f) the Insured’s Destination being made Uninhabitable orinaccessible by flood, tornado, earthquake, volcaniceruption, fire, wildfire or blizzard that is due to naturalcauses, vandalism or burglary;

Doesn't matter. Your destination is actually the ship. Where it goes is up to the cruiseline.

Typically, this means that your trip is completely cancelled due to the damage. If the cruise line changes ports, you are not entitled to a claim in most cases.

That said, there are policies (like the Nationwide policy mentioned earlier) that do provide change of itinerary coverage and will pay out a one time payment if ports are changed before you sail (assuming that your policy coverage was in effect BEFORE the damage occurred or before a storm was named).

Not sure what is the non-refundable expense you can claim in this situation when you continued to stay in the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ports are cancelled and changed all the time and is allowed under the terms of the contract. I have never heard of anyone filing an insurance claim for that reason, nor do I think it would be successful.

There are policies that include coverage for change of a port of call, but usually they won't pay until after the cruise ends.

just an FYI - My Nationwide policy covers a CHANGE of ITINERARY

ITINERARYCHANGE

In the event a Cruisemakes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date wewill pay up to the

Maximum Benefit shownon the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your TripItinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call fromthe scheduled itinerary.

Verification by theCruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary forclaim payment.

Nationwide has a cruise policy that reimburses you for itinerary changes after final payment. I know not much help now but may be worth looking into for the future if this is a concern.

https://travel.nationwide.com/plans-cruise-luxury.html

IMO they could sail in a circle and I’d be good with it (atleast on a Caribbean itinerary).

I have this Nationwide policy for our upcoming 11/5 Oasis cruise which was changed from Labadee/St. Martin/San Juan to Nassau/Costa Maya/Cozumel. It looks like I may have a claim. I will call on Monday and report back with my results. We'll see what "up to" means.

"In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment. "

I had no idea - thanks, CC!

Wouldn't that be predicated upon the level of insurance you purchased. For instance, Travel Guard has a purchase for any reason insurance that I have purchased before.

Wouldn't that be predicated upon the level of insurance you purchased. For instance, Travel Guard has a purchase for any reason insurance that I have purchased before.

Do you mean "cancel for any reason" (not "purchase for any reason")? OP did not cancel their cruise, nor was it cancelled by RCCL.

Actually I have "cancel for any reason" which I purchased thru my TA however its only for 50%.. Travel Guard said it would come under trip cancellation and trip interruption (if I cancel) "the insured 's destination being made uninhabitable" etc. which San Juan and St Martin is.

The invoice states it was a Eastern Caribbean cruise Now with the port changes to Jamaica Nassau & labadee (their port) Its a Western . and 3 small ports at that.

The intermediate ports of call are probably not considered "destinations" as they would be if you insured a land-based trip to those places. I'd venture to guess that the only "destination" of a cruise is the last port on the itinerary. Let us know what the insurance company says.

I have this Nationwide policy for our upcoming 11/5 Oasis cruise which was changed from Labadee/St. Martin/San Juan to Nassau/Costa Maya/Cozumel. It looks like I may have a claim. I will call on Monday and report back with my results. We'll see what "up to" means.

"In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment. "

I had no idea - thanks, CC!

so you're not going?