Tipping

onion68

First time cruiser here. I have prepaid the gratuities for our upcoming cruise on Anthem of the Seas. I've been told by family members who have cruised that we should consider giving the bartenders a generous tip at the beginning of the cruise, so they give us extra good service. I think that's a good idea, but what amount is considered a "good" tip? Thank you!

Not needed at all! Every drink you buy will have an 18% tip added to the cost. if you buy a package, 18% is added to the cost. No need to tip additionally! They will give you GREAT service, without a "bribe"!

If you frequent one particular bar or bartender, tipping is traditionally done on the LAST night...so give more, if you feel the need, then.

Edited by cb at sea

First time cruiser here. I have prepaid the gratuities for our upcoming cruise on Anthem of the Seas. I've been told by family members who have cruised that we should consider giving the bartenders a generous tip at the beginning of the cruise, so they give us extra good service. I think that's a good idea, but what amount is considered a "good" tip? Thank you!

IMO that is not good advice and not necessary at all. Your drink prices will include an 18% gratuity and if you wish to add additional to the bill you certainly can do that. Besides there are many bars and many bartenders, so unless you go same bar at the same times with the same bartender it would be difficult to have this be very effective.

We've never experienced poor bar service on any of our cruises and wouldn't recommend following that advice. All crew members are recognized internally for their level of service and good service is expected. Not providing good service can be very detrimental to their careers. Tipping extra with the drinks if desired would be all that is needed to show appreciation for their service. How much is up to you.

If you are booked in a suite and have access to the Concierge / Suite Lounge then recognizing your bartender service there is recommended as during the cocktail hours the drinks are complimentary and there are no gratuities automatically dispersed for their service in that lounge. So tipping them separately is the right thing to do.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Don't waste your money. You are already giving them 18%.

I've been told by family members who have cruised that we should consider giving the bartenders a generous tip at the beginning of the cruise, so they give us extra good service...

As stated, you don't have to give them any more than the 18% you are already going to be paying. But curious as to what constitutes "good service"? Is it a generous pour? A crew member could be reprimanded or fired for that. I hope you'll find the service on Royal Caribbean to be wonderful regardless. :) Have fun.

Sure - and if the bartender over-pours for you, s/he could lose their job.

No need to tip additionally! They will give you GREAT service, without a "bribe"!

Agreed.

I know there are some folk who tip bar staff, and cabin stewards, in advance.

But that's not a tip, it's a bride.

And a pretty unsubtle bribe too.

To me it says "I've bought you".

It works with kids & animals, but I'd find it degrading.

JB :)

Agreed.

It's a pretty common practice here, especially at a busy bar. Big tip at first, then $1 a drink. Works well. There is a big tipping culture where I live. DH said he probably insulted some folks when he was in Scotland a few months ago.

We don't drink during the day and always sit in the same area every day. So, I go to the same bar for my glass of just ice a few times during the day. How much of a tip does the same bartender get from ice? Yep, nothing, so on the last day I give him usually a $10 tip as my thank you for the ice. ( they call me the 'ice lady'!)

If we have the same bar waiter a lot in the evening before dinner, we get to know them and all we have to do is nod our heads when they see us. Then they don't ask what we want, they just bring it to us. We will give this waiter a nice tip on the last night.

Agreed.

I disagree, giving a tip is common, I am not buying them as you say, or degrading them, I tip on the land everybody I come in contact with. If you can't afford to tip, and yes I know gratuities are included in the fair, DONT CRUISE and save your money for dinner out at mcdonalds!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I disagree, giving a tip is common, I am not buying them as you say, or degrading them, I tip on the land everybody I come in contact with. If you can't afford to tip, and yes I know gratuities are included in the fair, DONT CRUISE and save your money for dinner out at mcdonalds!

This can't be serious??? Everywhere you go, you tip in advance?? So as you walk into a restaurant you immediately hand over cash to everyone as part of your routine? Wow!!!

Giving a tip after you have service is acceptable, but tipping in advance seems very strange. I'm not quite sure why you would even do this?

Thanks, all, for your responses. As I said, we are first time cruisers, and was questioning the advice of a family member who cruises often. I am very much looking forward to our cruise at the end of this month. I have several family members who work in the service industry as servers and bartenders on land and have told me countless stories of people who don't tip. Because of this, I like to give servers a good tip. I'm certainly not trying to "bribe", insult anyone, or imply that I want a "generous pour" that could cost someone their job. That's not how I roll. Thanks for your input and advice!

Thanks, all, for your responses. As I said, we are first time cruisers, and was questioning the advice of a family member who cruises often. I am very much looking forward to our cruise at the end of this month. I have several family members who work in the service industry as servers and bartenders on land and have told me countless stories of people who don't tip. Because of this, I like to give servers a good tip. I'm certainly not trying to "bribe", insult anyone, or imply that I want a "generous pour" that could cost someone their job. That's not how I roll. Thanks for your input and advice!

Your welcome and enjoy you first cruise! I'm certain your service levels will be excellent in all respects.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about the comments and advice you have received here. Many posters on this forum are very judgemental and self righteous.:)

Tipping is not a bribe.

Staff/crew on a ship like to know they are doing a great job. They work long hours and are required to always be "on".

It takes one complaint from someone to get their pay docked - so giving cash in hand you know that the person is getting their tip.

Sure It's easy to say - let the cruise line take care of the staff. That takes the guilt off you. But it's not right - actual tipping shows that you care. Whether is $1 or $10.

And for the ones who say they take the tipping off their bill - that says to management that your not happy with your service. And the staff taking care of you get money withheld. Now isn't that nice.

Try reading my post before disagreeing. :rolleyes:

It's patently clear that I've not commented on the practice of tipping per-se, but on the practice of tipping in advance, which IMHO is a bribe, not a tip.

Tipping after being served is a way of saying thank-you, and cannot be a bribe.

So I don't need your fatuous, self-righteous & irrelevant comment about "don't cruise if you can't afford to tip". :mad:

I'm pretty sure a lot of the snarky comments are just people seizing an opportunity to be rude.... not intended AT you, simply intended to be generally insulting (tips are a hot topic on CC) :)

We've never tipped in advance, and still have gotten excellent service most of the time. There is a gratuity automatically added to your drink bill. If you want to say "thank you" to someone in particular with cash, the end of the cruise (last night onboard) is the time to do it.

Have a great first cruise. Warning: cruising may be addictive :)

I'm pretty sure a lot of the snarky comments are just people seizing an opportunity to be rude.... not intended AT you, simply intended to be generally insulting (tips are a hot topic on CC) :)

We've never tipped in advance, and still have gotten excellent service most of the time. There is a gratuity automatically added to your drink bill. If you want to say "thank you" to someone in particular with cash, the end of the cruise (last night onboard) is the time to do it.

Have a great first cruise. Warning: cruising may be addictive :)

Agree with CowPrincess. Just a little more information from our experience. We never tip in advance, we do hand out envelopes with a tip on the last night of the cruise to those who we feel deserve an extra tip above the one charged to our account (FYI, if you need envelopes go to the front desk). Also, when we order room service we give a couple of dollars to the steward when he delivers the order. As a consideration, if you are on an extended cruise or a back-to-back cruise, you should pay attention as to whether certain crewmembers are departing the ship mid-way and tip them before they depart.

Remember, tipping above the daily amount charged to your account is always a personal choice and there really isn't a 'rule' on how much or when.

Thanks, all, for your responses. As I said, we are first time cruisers, and was questioning the advice of a family member who cruises often...

Yes, we know this and no one meant to imply that YOU were implying anything but asking from a sincere heart. First-time cruisers have a lot of questions as it is such new territory! Understood. ;):) Have fun!