Disembarkation time in Miami?

blambition

For those that have taken a cruise that disembarks in Miami, would you say it is safe to book a return flight out of Fort Lauderdale that leaves at 11 AM? I am planning on using Uber to get from the port to the airport. Thinking I will be off the ship between 8 AM and 9 AM, and should be to the airport by 9:30 AM as it is a Wednesday. Please let me know if I should not book the flight that early. My next choice is going to be having to hang around all day and take a flight around 6 PM. If I do that I will probably go to a hotel for the day and then over to the airport much later.

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those that have taken a cruise that disembarks in Miami, would you say it is safe to book a return flight out of Fort Lauderdale that leaves at 11 AM? I am planning on using Uber to get from the port to the airport. Thinking I will be off the ship between 8 AM and 9 AM, and should be to the airport by 9:30 AM as it is a Wednesday. Please let me know if I should not book the flight that early. My next choice is going to be having to hang around all day and take a flight around 6 PM. If I do that I will probably go to a hotel for the day and then over to the airport much later.

TIA

11am is too close. FLL is an hour away from Miami. If you get off at 9AM , you'll around 10AM. If it's a cruise day (Sat or Sun) count on two hours to check in and go thru security.

TIA

You didn't let us know what time your ship is "scheduled" to arrive, where the ship is coming from, if you have TSA pre or the ability to use the premium line and security, etc. Wednesday is much like other weekdays and much busier than the weekend. All of the above information helps you get to the gate quicker. The arrival of the ship is an educated guesstimate and could be hours later. How port security, immigration & customes, etc allow people to disembark is only at their decision. Think more than 1/2 hour from the port to FLL and personally would not book that flight. Too many possibilities of things going wrong. What if the later flight is full and you can't be accommodated. Ending a cruise worrying on making a flight isn't fun. There can always be an accident any day blocking the roads. Your decision but, strongly recommend the later flight.

We are booked on the nonstop flight that leaves at 6:20 PM, I guess I was just rethinking it and dreading trying to spend the whole day in Fort Lauderdale with nothing really to do. The one that is at 11 AM is a flight that has one stop without a change of planes so I was considering changing the flight even though I would normally never book a. flight before noon. I guess I will stay with my original plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would be tempting to take the earlier flight rather than the one at 6:20 pm especially if flying to the west coast on long flight. With no other info, I would do as per ronrick1943 and look at MIA

But in answer to your actual question,

"a cruise that disembarks in Miami, would you say it is safe to book a return flight out of Fort Lauderdale that leaves at 11 AM?"

IMHO, no.

many hotels and terminals do not allow uber or any un licence gypsy cabs into their facilities.. I know a lot of Marriott hotels wont let them pick up or drop off, and in Miami you have to deal with a huge cab rank.

I thus would never use one even on a bet where I had to be somewhere and rely on someone.

I would not schedule a flight till after 2 to 3 pm our of FFL however at MIA I have easily made 11:30 to 12 flights with an hour to spare.

I guess I should mention I am flying on Southwest, they do not fly in and out of MIA. I know for a fact that Uber does pick up at Fort Lauderdale airport, as I have friends that have used them for transportation to and from Fort Lauderdale airport without any problems whatsoever. We live in Colorado so we are coming in day prior, with a very watchful eye on weather. The good thing with Southwest, is you can easily change your air arrangements should we have a snowstorm! If need be I can always fly in more than one day prior. They do not charge for rearranging your air schedule, and I fly on points. I have actually had to do this in the past, and if I see a storm is going to be coming during the time that I want to fly I will use my points to rearrange my flight and go in an extra day or two earlier than planned, rather than worry about missing my cruise. We have another trip planned in April, and even then we could get a snowstorm. As they say living in Colorado, you are not really safe to plant a garden until after Mother's Day! So the same thing applies with airline reservations. I just take it upon myself to watch the weather reports. I do however really prefer to fly on nonstop flights.

I have an agreement with our housesitter, that they will stay longer if need be should weather prevent us from getting home on time.

Disembarkation in Miami can be a nightmare. We have done twice. The first was a disaster. Customs, immigration, and almost no cabs. People were literally fighting over cabs. We finally took our bags and walked out of the port area where we were able to get a cab.

We then went to Miami airport where we had arranged a rental car and spent a wonderful day exploring Miami Beach and then driving up the coast, walking on the beach etc. We returned to the airport in plenty of time for our early evening flight.

The second time things went well. We prebooked a car and driver who didn't show but another was happy to take his place when I explained what we wanted. Again a tour of the city, a stop at Aventura Mall to see the holiday decorations and to the airport.

I would never book an early flight out of Miami. Mid afternoon at the earliest. Seems excessive but I'd rather kill a few hours than try to find another flight.

Mo

Mia port to Fll depends on day of the week. We arrive back in Miami on a Wednesday, our friends wanted to book a flight out of fll at 10:40 am, told them no way, with rush hour traffic. In season traffic is horrible down here. We will have a car in the garage at the port. My advice to you would be rent a car, take the later flight and relax for the day. Go to South Beach, Sawgrass mall, or explore.

You are at the mercy of customs. You can have up to 3 ships that use the terminal in Miami - tomorrow for example Riviera and Crystal Serenity arrive at same time. Last time ship docked at 7am and they did not begin until 0845 (due to delays in getting all bag off the ship and getting shipped cleared).

And yes as everyone pointed out the cab queue and traffic was horrible. Wednesday does help a bit.

we have disembarked in POM several times & only once we were late getting off... then no taxis

but other time we have been off by 9am & at MIA by 9:30am for a 12:30 flight

Now I book a private driver

Others we know take SAS shuttle to FLL for 11 ish flights & have made it

would I do NO, it is out of my comfort zone but it works for them ;)

I agree with everyone else, don't risk it. Sometimes Customs & Immigration, or even the stevedore's union can hold up the whole process. One time (I think it was Riviera), no one got off the ship before 9 a.m.

As for Uber, they may operate out of FLL, but are they allowed into the Port of Miami?

Why not rent a car for the day and enjoy yourself.

I agree with everyone else, don't risk it. Sometimes Customs & Immigration, or even the stevedore's union can hold up the whole process. One time (I think it was Riviera), no one got off the ship before 9 a.m.

As for Uber, they may operate out of FLL, but are they allowed into the Port of Miami?

Yes, I was just picked up from an Oceania ship by Uber in the Port or Miami last month. Where we were picked up is just across the road from the cab line. From the time we put the pickup and destination info in the app it was about 3 minutes until we were picked up in a nice van. We were at MIA in about 12-15 minutes

They also don't have to wait in the cab que at the Port or the airport. Clean, cheaper, friendly drivers. I'm sold. Personally I'm glad the sullen, unfriendly cab drivers I've encountered in almost every major US city now have this type of competition.

we have disembarked in POM several times & only once we were late getting off... then no taxis

but other time we have been off by 9am & at MIA by 9:30am for a 12:30 flight

Now I book a private driver

Others we know take SAS shuttle to FLL for 11 ish flights & have made it

would I do NO, it is out of my comfort zone but it works for them ;)

Agree. Too many things could go wrong that I would not take a chance and miss my flight. One crash on 95 and you could be stuck for 30 to 45 min. Not worth it in my opinion.

Since you're flying on Southwest, you can always keep the later flight reservation for now, and if you get to the airport early enough for the first flight - and then change it. I think they only need a short amount of time to make the changes - I've done this before, and if there is room on the earlier flight, you can switch. If not - or if you can't get to the airport in time - you still have a reservation in place.

I am going to keep my later reservation, and when we get off the ship, I will call Southwest and see if they have room on the earlier flight if we feel we will make it to the airport on time! If they do not have room, I will most likely take an Uber to a local hotel for the day, where they can store our luggage at the front desk. We will have lunch and relax hopefully by their pool if the weather is nice, and then go to the airport early afternoon.

I will most likely make some phone calls before we take our trip, to a hotel like the Hyatt in Miami which is near the port. I have not been there in years, but as I recall they are very near the shopping center also. I will ask if it is possible to have them hold package at the front desk while using their restaurants. Not planning on taking a day room. I might check on trip advisor for suggestions.

Did a B2B out of Miami two years ago. On both legs, no one was allowed off the ship before 9AM.

I live and work in South Florida. I wouldn't chance the earlier flight. There is currently a lot of construction at the Fort Lauderdale Airport that has created traffic jams getting into the airport. Granted, a Wednesday morning isn't the busiest of times, but I agree with everyone else that have mentioned that it would only take 1 small issue from a multitude of different possibilities to throw off your timetable.

So here's the deal, almost every time I've disembarked in Miami or FLL I've had plenty of time to make early flights, but I haven't been booked on them. I usually watch two or three flights depart for my connection before my flight.

It's not so much about what has happened in the past as what can happen. I don't want to be a no show flying on award or non refundable tickets.

So the basic answer is yes, you might make it. But you never know.

I'm also one of those people that try to fly in a day or so early, even if I'm just hanging out at the hotel. Oddly enough I've never missed arriving when I was supposed to for a cruise, but I have been delayed a day when going to an AI. Fortunately it was still there when we got there the next day, unlike a cruise ship.

Edited by ORV