Good Morning from the PACIFIC PRINCESS

Toto2Kansas

Having had the pleasure I would have loved to have been there for that hmmm clean glass episode.

I hope there are pictures being posted?

He told me, after I posted the story this AM and I told him what I did, to make sure to mention he was totally sober, that was what was embarassing about it. He could have understood it if he had had a few, but he hadn't had a drop, YET. ;)

Back from the most traveled luncheon and the sky has turned dark and rainy. Darn, there went my ‘sun day’ to work on a bit of a tan before reaching the islands of French Polynesia. Oh well, three more days of chances before we arrive, so I will try again tomorrow.

As usual, the most traveled luncheon was the best meal so far onboard (they have all been good, but we have found on the smaller ships, what is served at the luncheon is by far the best of the best), with lots of chit chat at our table with the passenger services director Ivano Calandri. Ivano is a very friendly and chatty gentleman, and we found we have sailed on the same ships at the same time in the past, so it made for some interesting discussion. Another couple at our table was also on our third sailing on the old Crown Princess to/from Tahiti, although we never met onboard back then. Our breakfast waiter at Sabatinis was our server, Joel, which made it all the better as he knew our likes and dislikes for drinks by now.

Instead of a picture with the captain this time, Ivano thought it would be fun to take a picture of our tablemates all together, so that is exactly what we did. Great picture and everyone was smiling and everyone’s eyes were actually open in the shot. It will be a nice keepsake to remember those we shared our luncheon with. Two of the women are also doing a back to back so we may all end up at the same table for the luncheon on the next cruise as we did this time.

Most were dressed as requested in resort casual (and some even stretched that a bit and were wearing shorts). Not a lot going on this afternoon. DH is grumbling as his football game went out of satellite range about half time, so he now has his face stuck in a book, and my face is stuck on the computer screen.

I thought I might go walk the decks this afternoon and try to build up an appetite for dinner in three hours, if that is at all possible. Yep, you guessed it, they will have to put me in a pair of elastic waist pants and roll me off the ship at the end of these two cruises.

Can’t wait to get to Bora Bora, but I have to admit, I am really enjoying these sea days to the fullest, rain or shine.

In regards to DH’s ‘bump’ last night, he only has a slight goose egg today. If it would have been me walking into that glass door, my face would have been black and blue.

Great news on the leaking sprinkler. All is repaired and we now must actually use the shower to take a shower, no more just standing on the balcony and getting soaked.

I did have a chat with Ivano after the luncheon about the problems, and told him we completely understand how %^*# happens, and needs to be brought to their attention. What we don't understand is why they try to question our intelligence and tell us that this is 'normal'. A hot frig is not normal, and a sprinkler drowning the balcony is not normal, although they continued to tell us it was. He took lots of notes while we talked, so hopefully we got our point across and he will take care of this with those involved. I don't like to have any staff member get into trouble, but it was time this was brought to their attention what some of their maintenance staff are telling passengers.

Now, off I go to enjoy the rest of the day and attempt to work up that appetite for dinner in less than two hours............. OH MY, I think it might be a salad only this evening. ;)

I would of know right away about the fridge as i drink cold water all day long. i try to stuff my ice bucket in there too.

as far as the balcony and the special rin showers i would be calling the front desk from early morning. somehowi would not trsut my room attendent.

Loved the pictures. i have sailed a princess small ship and loved it. i like to try Azamara in Europe. i ejoy the small ships but you are right not for everyone.

Toto, thanks so much for taking time to share this fantastic itinerary with us. It's sounding like you're having fun. What was on the menu for this fabulous most-traveled-passenger lunch? Or did you get photos (that way, we can all virtually join you in the roll-me-off-the-ship club!)?

I believe Sammi is currently the CD on the Dawn Princess World Cruise.
Thanks. I think she was one of the best CD's we've ever encountered and got to know. She seemed to stay with the Pacific Princess a long time.

Toto - Sorry to hear you had only the "drive by" for Christmas Island. It was a charming unspoiled place and really refreshing. The tenders had a hard time getting in and out on our cruise, and one went aground for about an hour. I suspect they cancel if there is any chop to the water at all.

Can’t wait to get to Bora Bora, but I have to admit, I am really enjoying these sea days to the fullest, rain or shine.
Have a wonderful time in Bora Bora. We had what I think was one of the best tours I've ever taken there, a motu picnic with Patrick Tairua. Fabulous. We swam with sharks and sting rays, drank champagne, were surrounded by dolphins, and the picnic was delicious. I'd go back just to take this tour again. :) Have a great time there!

Hi Toto,

I've been following this since you started and can't wait to hear what you will experience next! Thanks for letting us come along on your cruise. The stories which you told about the frig and sprinklers had my DH in tears as he thinks it might be another "fish" story (pun intended). [He says that after you didn't get the "hot" frig replaced soon enough, you took it out on the balcony which set the sprinklers off...then, your DH rushes to shut off the sprinklers and collides with the clean glass door and falls backward knocking your Pepsi onto the floor..at which point you toss the frig into the deep blue sea and call the maintenance crew to clean up the spilled drink and shut off the sprinklers....] Of course, he's just kidding ! We know it happened just as you said it did! :D His goose egg will disappear as soon as he dives into the beautiful blue lagoon in Bora Bora. We did the Tahiti to Hawaii leg in 2004 aboard the Dawn and just loved every minute of it. Yes, Christmas Island was a real joy to visit, too. Sorry, you won't be stopping there this time. Glad to see that you're having a good time and enjoying the "roll-me-off-the-ship" food and please,.. put some stickers on the balcony doors...;)

Madelynn

Popping in with another quick update.

Just when we thought it was safe to go back onto our balcony, you would not believe what happened. Seriously, this is not a joke or even an exaggeration. 1012daisy, if you thought the first episode was bad, wait until you read what happened next.

Just after I posted earlier today, and was about to check my email, sitting at the balcony table, DH with his book reading, and enjoying the sounds of the wake..........................are you ready for this one? The sprinklers blew, I mean just as if they were putting out a fire. Water from all four sprinkler heads hitting the sliding glass door all the way to the railing. No where to go for us except over the side to avoid it (not an option). So, I grabbed up my computer, still connected to the internet, my cordless mouse, tucked it all under my shirt and dived for the open balcony door. We were drenched from head to toe, both of us.

I made a quick call to the purser's desk and within a couple of minutes, we had everyone in charge standing in our living room. From maintenance to the Chief Engineer. Although we have a good sense of humor, both of us had about had enough of this fun and although we were still trying to grin through this one, we weren't laughing quite as hard as we were last night. We overlooked the problems of the last couple of days, but even the Chief Engineer Hugh Dalton wasn't amused at all at what just took place as he stood there with water running down on HIS head.

I will end this for now, and try to check back in tomorrow with a little more detail.

1012daisy, I had tears rolling down my face as I read your post. I really needed that one this evening.

But no matter what is happening, we are still having a great time (yes, we really are). I would never let a few mishaps ruin a perfectly good cruise. ;) As said, I will follow up tomorrow when I am wide awake and not typing on Princess minutes but will expand a bit more on this last malfunciton in the Maui Suite #6088 onboard the Pacific Princess, only a few hundred miles North of Christmas Island. ;)

Sue your patience is almost beyond belief. I'm a firm beliver in "there is no such thing as a bad cruise" but enough is enough! You two deserve a break. Maybe this has all just been a test planned by Princess to see if they could break you and if you would rant and rave here on CC. Well they need to understand that you've won and can't be broken so they need to STOP right now!

A big thanks for bringing us all along on your voyage and the pictures are great. Rolling off the ship in elastic waisted pants - isn't that why we all pack a pair? ;):eek:;)

Barb

We are going on the Royal to Tahiti in 2011 and it's really good to hear your stories. I was all excited and said to my husband Toto is on her way to Tahiti and he said 'is that a typhoon?'. It's easy to forget not everyone is a cruise critic addict!

WOW !! Keep up the good work--it could be perfect when we arrive--lol--I'm beginning to wonder about that--this is getting beyond amusing !! Sure glad you're the one taking care of this--you seem to have a bit more humor than I would at this point--I would hope to have the humor that you're demonstrating !! You're MORE than a good sport--I'm quite comfortable with all the problems since I REALLY believe that they'll be taken care of before 6088 becomes ours on the 29th--

Does the ship seem full ?? I notice that 2 OS on the 29th sailing are still empty--one is on deck7 and the other is 6091.

I'm enjoying your LIVE FROM greatly--keep up the good work !!!!

Hope today is a greatly improved day for you and your cabin !!!! Good Luck

Nancy:D

Oh Toto!

This is not good...you are handling this VERY WELL!

Apparently the Hawaiian Spirit has permeated within!

maybe you should send corporate an email inviting them to enjoy reading your "live from" with hundreds of others on Cruise Critic...

politely of course! i'm sure there jaws would drop a bit!

I hope this is fixed asap!

especially since this is such a balcony oriented cruise with the sea days and scenery

K.

Gee you are so patient do hope everything has been fixed up now.

On my cruise last December pipes burst in Suite 753 and flooded the door and hallway of my inside cabin 749.....Maybe this is a suite thing with Princess:D

You really do need your life jackets in your suite just in case.:D

Love your post .Please let us know how this was resolved for you.....Kruisey.:)

Toto- I am really enjoying your posts (and also have to commend you on your patience and sense of humor). I'm sure Princess will eventually come through for you. You're right, a little (lot) of water doesn't ruin a cruise, but it can ruin a laptop, notebook, or iPhone. In that case, my humor might quickly dissipate.

I am also glad that you have, on occasion, enjoyed your casual dinners. As with you and your husband, we also enjoy the option of a casual dinner or two throughout a long cruise, and I know that you did not like the fact that it was not offered in the past on the small ships. Good to know that it is now.

And I had to laugh when you mentioned you had to get someone to look at the malfunctioning sprinkler before your husband did. God, that sounds too familiar. I thought that only my husband was like that. In fact, one of his favorite things to do on a ship is to watch what the maintenance crew is doing and try to figure out (when things are taken apart to be fixed/cleaned/etc) how they work. Cheap entertainment, for sure, but I'm sure they get tired of constant "supervision" (silent or other).

Enjoy Bora Bora...my favorite place (so far) on Earth! If you get back there again, consider jet ski-ing around the island.

WOW!! Toto

you are handling this better than i would. I live for my balcony on a cruise and would be very upset if I could not use it. At this point I be asking for another cabin or free drinks and anything else i could get. too much money involved not to be able to enjoy your balcony.

Looking forward to hearing how it was fixed and what they gave you to make up for this mess.

I also loved Bora Bora. Enjoy Bloody Mary's for all of us.

Good Morning from a gorgeous and sunny day here just north of Christmas Island. DH is still sleeping and I decided to come out on the balcony () and 'test the waters', so to speak. So far so good, and Hugh (Chief Engineer) promised it would not happen again and the sprinklers going off in full force was 'human error' as someone working on them through the wrong switch.

We arrived home last evening to a letter in our mailbox telling us that our adventures have been forwarded to corporate head quarters, the letter detailed all that has happened so far with our frig and balcony, and it included all the contact information for Princess (as if I didn't already have that) for us to contact them when arriving home. And as a 'small' gesture of apology, our next visit to either of the speciality restaurants onboard will be courtesy of Princess. So, if all goes well the rest of this voyage and the next, I will definitely be following up after arriving back home.

OK, enough of the problems, now to the good stuff.

We are just a couple of hours away from Christmas Island right now, calm seas, warm temps and sunny sky will be awaiting us for our scenic cruising. Thankfully, we actually visited Christmas Island once before, back in 1993, so we know what it's like. We both would have loved to visit again, but it's just not in the cards it seems. So we will settle for a slow sail past the island and binoculars.

It's time to get ready for breakfast at Sabatinis in just a few minutes, and then hopefully a dry morning getting a bit of sun today.

Although Christmas Island isn't all that interesting from out here, I will try to post some new pictures later on so those that are intererested can see what we will be seeing. The pictures I can't wait to take and post will be when we arrive in Bora Bora.

Thanks for coming along on our 'adventure' and will post later today with a few more pictures for those that are interested.

(FYI) Please excuse any mistakes on this post, the sun is glaring on my keyboard and very hard to proof read before I hit the post button)

Archived