Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 10:02 AM, Debbie's-cruising said:

I have been to Alaska too. It is beautiful! We booked the new NCL Bliss. Looking forward to both!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

On 7/2/2018 at 10:02 AM, Debbie's-cruising said:

I have been to Alaska too. It is beautiful! We booked the new NCL Bliss. Looking forward to both!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hi Debbie,

It is Shirley read52.  Right after I talk to you last I broke my leg  so I wasn’t on wards very much. We changed are email so I had to rejoin cruise critic. Did you like Alaska? We did not cruise in the summer because of my leg. We are going to Cuba at Easter. We are doing a back to back so we will be gone 9 days. I am still teaching. I have a good class and only 14 students. After talking with my principal I might be able to work 4 days and not lose my benefits as a resource or stem teacher.

• 3 weeks later...

OK.....it finally happened....I retired today!!! 

It still feels like a dream.  My coworkers gave me a surprise retirement party and some nice gifts.  Had a great potluck lunch and took lots of pictures.  Many hugs and tears.  When I walked out of the building it was hard to believe that I won't be going back.

But....in 3 weeks I'll be boarding the ship and sailing around the world for the next 6 months.  I'm very excited for this new chapter in life.  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

That is awesome! "Go-Bucks!" I am very happy for you. I have 36 months and 29 days, from all of the previous posts on here I am sure it will fly by and drag on...... I am looking forward to taking that around the world cruise myself when I retire. So many things on the bucket list, how do we find time to work?????

Again congratulations and have an amazing cruise!!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

It still feels like a dream.  My coworkers gave me a surprise retirement party and some nice gifts.  Had a great potluck lunch and took lots of pictures.  Many hugs and tears.  When I walked out of the building it was hard to believe that I won't be going back.

But....in 3 weeks I'll be boarding the ship and sailing around the world for the next 6 months.  I'm very excited for this new chapter in life.  :classic_biggrin:

Congratulations, retirement really is the best job ever.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 12:25 AM, Go-Bucks! said:

Good for you on both your retirement and upcoming cruise!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad you retired!  Go and have fun!  I am still working the part time job I returned after my "2 week retirement" but have dropped down to "sick call/vacation coverage"  I am enjoying this part time employment, and gives me a bit to put away in the cruise fund!

• Thanks 1

I am just turned 60 and last week I notified my manager that I want to go on a 4 day week for 6 months then a 3 day week for the final 6 months and then look to retire next April.  

So far he has made no comment but I don’t expect any issues with that as the alternative is I leave now, and we can’t afford to lose more people.  

My tentative leaving date is now 31st March 2020 ie 437 days but, I have emphasized that between now and then if I get really really hacked off, then I will throw in the towel now as I am getting increasingly fed up and losing interest in my work due to ever increasing admin requirements (I am an Engineer).  We might find that a 3-day week suits me fine and yes the extra money would be handy but,…we will see.

We had a sharp reminder earlier this week when my SIL had a stroke at the age of 65 just when she and her hubby are beginning to enjoy their retirement together. She is now recovering but it will be a long road.  It was another reminder that we never know what is round the corner and don’t leave it until it is too late and miss out on those things that we wanted to do but keep putting them off.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 12:25 AM, Go-Bucks! said:

Congrats on your retirement and your upcoming  world cruise. Are you going to do a review?

On 10/31/2018 at 4:48 PM, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Six years ago today I retired.

We got rid of everything home, autos, etc… no storage. I retired on Halloween 2012 left MN that day left the USA Jan. 3, 2013. Been traveling the world renting vacation/holiday homes.

Upcoming Itinerary - June 21, 2018 to March 1, 2021

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com/2018/06/our-new-itinerarywith-few-gapsin-time.html

Started to read your blog. Looks like you 2 are having the time of your life.

On 7/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, AF-1 said:

Today, I retired today 11 July. Thanks

I picked this date because yesterday 10 July marked 45 years of flying; so by having my retirement date a day later I made the 45 year mark

Congrats. 45 years flying with a company is a long time.  

Edited by ReneeFLL

I haven't worked in about 6 years so I guess you can say that I'm retired. :classic_biggrin:   Mike retired from the Navy after 27 years (active and reserve) and now flies for AA. He might retire in 3 years when he turns 60 and will have 21 years in or stay till he is 65 and have an FAA mandatory retirement at that age.

So we have a ways to go, but look forward to being able to take longer cruises and an around the world cruise. I have enjoyed meeting many retired people and listening to all their great travel stories.

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Congrats on your retirement and your upcoming  world cruise. Are you going to do a review?

Congrats. 45 years flying with a company is a long time.  

Thanks,  I am living the dream.  Head out in a few weeks for a relaxing cruise thru the Caribbean

• 4 months later...

Well, I still am not ready to retire.  I am going year by year.  I am a teacher.  Presently, my granddaughter attends my school and is in second grade.  Next year my grandson will be in kindergarten.  I still enjoy teaching.  Just finished 31 years in this school.  

• Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 1:10 AM, cruisefun27 said:

I have 10 months 2 days until retirement. Have been at my job for 44 years, will have 45 years in when I leave in July. So ready!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congratulations!  Enjoy good health and be happy.  I retired the first time in 2001 after 31.5 years and went to work 3 months later for a staffing agency for 14 more years.  Finally had enough and this time retirement has "stuck"!!!

Live everyday to its fullest and on Sunday night's just smile to yourself because you can "sleep in" on Monday!

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, ReneeFLL said:

Hello ReneeFLL

We are indeed having the time of our lives

So happy you are reading our blob.

It's hard to believe just this week we had our 2500 post.

I had a whole excel spreadsheet I put together a year before I planned to retire... vacation days, sick days, holidays, etc.  I was constantly updating that sheet... created a internet count-down... couldn't retire fast enough once I made the decision.  The last 3 months went soooooooo slowwwwwwww !

I've been retired for 10 months now...  so very happy.  We have a 10 Alaskan cruise and a 16 day Hawaiian cruise booked... wanted to book a 17 day Panama Canal cruise, but my wife is telling me to slow down there.  😂  

15 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I had a whole excel spreadsheet I put together a year before I planned to retire... vacation days, sick days, holidays, etc.  I was constantly updating that sheet... created a internet count-down... couldn't retire fast enough once I made the decision.  The last 3 months went soooooooo slowwwwwwww !

I've been retired for 10 months now...  so very happy.  We have a 10 Alaskan cruise and a 16 day Hawaiian cruise booked... wanted to book a 17 day Panama Canal cruise, but my wife is telling me to slow down there.  😂  

I did the same cruises 6 years ago when i retired and now going on my 2nd European cruise next year on the Mardi Gras. My wife said almost the same until we boarded the ship so excited was she.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 1:21 PM, storm1507 said:

Triple digit dance today....999 days (about 2 yrs & 9 months) to go. I'll retire from my full time job and will go down to just a couple of days/week.

I've been counting for a good while now.   But, down to 10, yes 10 days!

• Like 3

On 6/30/2019 at 3:42 PM, crystalspin said:

Six months from today, will be my husband's last day of work (Dec30, as he would have Dec31, NYE, off anyway). Seven months from tomorrow we leave on a 28-day cruise of the South Pacific! 

You will love the South Pacific. We did a SP cruise in 2017 and then again in 2018.