Another Question re Eliminating Formal Nights

Rudolph38

I was a bit disturbed by the few people in the last thread on this who said that if you didnt like formal nights, go to another cruise line.

Let me turn that around a bit. If HAL did eliminate formal nights, what would you, as a supporter of them, do? Would you go to another cruise line? If so, which? Would you stop cruising.

I was a bit disturbed by the few people in the last thread on this who said that if you didnt like formal nights, go to another cruise line.

Let me turn that around a bit. If HAL did eliminate formal nights, what would you, as a supporter of them, do? Would you go to another cruise line? If so, which? Or would you stop cruising?

The fact that HAL eliminated formal nights would certainly never prevent me from dressing appropriately for a fine evening out with my wife. I would keep cruising with HAL and keep dressing as I always do when we go out. They could tell me all they want that Dockers and a collared golf shirt are ACCEPTED, I don't think I would ever get turned away from the MDR for wearing a suit and tie.

Let me turn that around a bit. If HAL did eliminate formal nights, what would you, as a supporter of them, do? Would you go to another cruise line? If so, which? Or would you stop cruising?

Iwould still go to HAL, yet might be more inclined to look elsewhere (Azamara, Princess, Cunard, Oceania, etc); I already book them if I find their itineraries more interesting.

NO, we would not leave HAL for another cruise line if they eliminated formal nights but thanks for asking. A good twist on the usual question.

It will take A LOT for us to ever sail another cruise line.....

The fact that HAL eliminated formal nights would certainly never prevent me from dressing appropriately for a fine evening out ...

+1.

I prefer HAL for the size of their ships and itineraries, versus dress code. Part of cruising, to me anyway, is the ritual of getting dressed for dinner -- so I am sure that I would find good company w/ Taxmantoo's party in the MDR.

Scott.

I am one who wants Formal Nights to stay. That said my answer to your questions are NO to all three questions! But I would be so disappointed in HAL for doing away with one of the very few times I am able to dress so formally for an evening of feeling so so elegant! I feel like a queen when I am dressed formally.

Like another poster stated, I will still dress formally at least 1 night during any 7 day cruise, 2 nights for 14, etc..

Joanie

I love to dress up and feel oh so elegant. Even if HAL did away with formal nights my husband and I would dress formally. As another poster stated,this is about the only time you are able to dress elegantly....I am probably in the minority but, also as someone else stated, dressing up is part of the cruise experience for us!

next trip?

On our last HAL cruise we never attended the formal nights. We just ate at the Lido deck & then went back to our cabin. There were several people in casual dress & several in formal dress.

Whatever floats you boat is what I say...... We stayed to ourselves on formal nights but did admire how wonderful the formally dressed people looked.

We would definitely keep sailing HAL if they eliminated formal night & we will definitely keep sailing HAL if they keep formal night.

We will just definitely keep sailing!!!:D

I don't cruise with HAL because they have formal nights and I wouldn't leave HAL if they eliminated formal nights. I'd probably still dress up on the nights I felt like it. On the other hand, I think my husband would be very happy to NOT dress up ;).

I wouldn't necessarily leave HAL, either. I always try to look my best in the evenings aboard ship, and would get more gussied-up on the evenings of sea days, as if they were formal nights. I don't understand why someone would not want to look their best. It's fun and it shows respect to fellow passengers and staff. I don't have anything more to say on this tired subject.

Mrs M

I've never been able to figure out why someone would book a vacation that isn't to their tastes! There are plenty of cruises that don't require "dressing up"....so why are they booking a cruise that doesn't conform to their comfort level?

I've never been able to figure out why someone would book a vacation that isn't to their tastes! There are plenty of cruises that don't require "dressing up"....so why are they booking a cruise that doesn't conform to their comfort level?

Perhaps because Hal caters for all?? Nowhere does it say that formal nights are compulsory. The facility is there for those who don't "do" formal, otherwise why have the Lido open in the evening. If everything else about a cruise appeals we have as much right as you to sail Hal.

HAL doesn't "require" dressing up...On formal nights I have the option of going to the Lido for dinner...If I feel like "dressing up" I do and eat in the main dining room...It conforms to my comfort level and from observation it seems to be saisfactory for others...I don't expect HAL to eliminate formal nights as obviously there are those who enjoy them...But it wasn't difficult to figure out they weren't mandatory like the life boat drills.

So are you saying that essentially the most important element of the cruise are those 6 (or whatever) hours out of an entire week and the rest of the experience doesn't count? I don't understand that.

I think they were just being obnoxious.

I wasn't trying to be obnoxious and I still stand by my statement. If you don't want to dress formally why would you sail a ship that has formal nights and then complain about them. Find a cruise that isn't having formal nights and sail them. That is just how I feel. To answer the OP question, I would start looking for another cruise line. If I couldn't find one that I liked better than HAL, I would do as others posted and dress for dinner on nights I felt like it.

I would continue to dress up every night, as I have since HAL eliminated informal nights. But I would never dress formally if the night were not designated as such. After all, it is just as much out of place to be overdressed as it is to be underdressed.

I would also look at other cruise lines. Cunard and Saga come readily to mind as being a good fit for me.

I think I am disappointed enough with the loosening of HAL traditions that I might just jump ship to Cunard at that point. No one there seems to be bothered about dressing up and following a dress code.

I think it's just that HAL has built (and has to fill) so many ships that they've had to broaden what was once a traditional ocean liner niche. Cunard also seems to value dancing, which is getting more and more watered down on HAL....

I think I am disappointed enough with the loosening of HAL traditions that I might just jump ship to Cunard at that point. No one there seems to be bothered about dressing up and following a dress code.
Visit the Cunard board for a while and mention eliminating dressing for dinner and see what happens to you!:D

I think it's just that HAL has built (and has to fill) so many ships that they've had to broaden what was once a traditional ocean liner niche. Cunard also seems to value dancing, which is getting more and more watered down on HAL....
We just enjoyed 10 days of excellent dancing and three formal nights on the Noordam, luck of the draw I suppose, but the trio in the Ocean Bar was very very good.

There is a dancer's opinion thread on the Cunard board and with the largest dance floors at sea the Queen's ballroom is always highly rated.

Also ranked are P&Os ships, Oceana and Oriana in particular. You'll also find dance cruises on Costa if that's to your taste. Princess is another line that usually has a good dance venue.

Would you think that the people doing away with formal nights dance or do they want to eliminate that as well?:) Somehow an elegant tango isn't quite as elegant in Country Club Casual.

I love HAL for the tradition its history gives to the cruise experience including the elegance of formal nights. Because of itineraries, I have also cruised NCL and Princess. NCL went to "freestyle cruising", and guess what, wife beater shirts, cutoffs, flip flops, tank tops, etc., quickly became not the exception, but the rule in the main dining rooms. You might as well have dined in the Lido in your swimwear!:eek: On the last two cruises I took aboard the NCL Pearl, I either had dinner in my Suite, their Cagney's Steakhouse, or on occasion in the Teppanyaki, but never once stepped foot in either of the MDR's. Yes I had to pay extra for these venues, but I didn't have to look at hairy armpits, while sipping a fine wine with my dinner.

I'm willing to pay a premium for the traditional cruise experience that HAL provides. So perhaps, HAL might want to continue their "Tradition of Excellence" by discontinuing discounts, or perhaps re-establishing a class system onboard their ships to preserve the traditional cruise experience for those of us that believe getting dressed for dinner means something more than going our for Wendys.

I know I'll get flamed for this post, but I've been a military guy for over forty years, and when my boss orders the "uniform of the day", guess what, I go with the flow!;)

Archived