Guest Satisfaction Survey

Max2003

We recently were aboard for the Prinsendam transatlantic cruise of November 8. In our stateroom on arrival was a letter from the Hotel Manager that stated

"It has been brought to our attention that on a previous voyage you identified one or more areas you feel we can improve upon in your responses to our Guest Satisfaction Survey."

It goes on to thank me for my feedback.

I was under the impression that the responses to the survey were confidential. It appears that they are forwarded or available to management of future cruises and ,to do so, must be made part of a permanent record on each guest. My impression was that I was being tracked and as a person valuing my privacy, I was concerned.

I post this to get feedback from others and to make you aware of what looks an extended use of your answers on the survey.

We recently were aboard for the Prinsendam transatlantic cruise of November 8. In our stateroom on arrival was a letter from the Hotel Manager that stated

"It has been brought to our attention that on a previous voyage you identified one or more areas you feel we can improve upon in your responses to our Guest Satisfaction Survey."

It goes on to thank me for my feedback.

I was under the impression that the responses to the survey were confidential. It appears that they are forwarded or available to management of future cruises and ,to do so, must be made part of a permanent record on each guest. My impression was that I was being tracked and as a person valuing my privacy, I was concerned.

I post this to get feedback from others and to make you aware of what looks an extended use of your answers on the survey.

A bit confused here... why would you complete a survey and think they are not going to use your answers? :confused:

You're okay with your picture & home city on this very public message board for anyone to see, but you're concerned about HAL keeping your guest satisfaction survey?

Actually I have no problem with them knowing it's my comments. Personally we've never heard a word about any comment on our surveys though I know others have said they've gotten letters or some acknowledgment. It's not that I write comments, both positive and negative, just to get a direct reaction or response so I'm not particularly disappointed. Guess I'd be really surprised if when we board the Maasdam next March if I got some kind of "Welcome back! We're surprised to see you after your comments about your Veendam cruise." :)

Provided the letter was worded well, which it seems to have been and they were making a point to address my concerns from my last cruise, i would be pleased. (dh wouldn't. he would feel as you like he was being 'tracked').

The point of filling out a survey is that you are listened to. If they made the changes and 'listened' I would be pleased. don't see anything wrong with them acknowledging concerns. i fill out the surveys in depth - give accolades as well as concerns. Each to their own, it would be fine with me.

We have made several suggestions on these surveys. Each time we included the specifics of our concern, dates, times and the impact of shortcomings we experienced or observed. Every time, on our next cruise, there was an acknowledgement that we had made suggestions, which means to me the suggestions were welcomed, and some balanced action was taken.

I kind of tend to agree with the post. I agree that I like the idea of my concerns being heard and hopefully acted upon but the idea that specific information is entered and tracked indefinitely in someone's system is not comforting. Knowing this may change some people's mind about filling it out from the start.

As for the survey itself, on my last cruise there was so much "arm twisting" at the disembarkment meeting that I felt uncomfortable really providing unbiased and constructive feedback. The cruise director emphasized the importance of completing them and went as far as to say that all 10s are an expectation and anything less will result in contracts of the personnel not being renewed. Wow! While I want a great crew that provides great service, and anyone who is poor should not be working on a ship, I certainly would not want an 8 or 9 to send someone home. I had a few issues on the ship, nothing horrible, but a few constructive thoughts but I did not provide those as I did not want to "get anyone in trouble".

I kind of tend to agree with the post. I agree that I like the idea of my concerns being heard and hopefully acted upon but the idea that specific information is entered and tracked indefinitely in someone's system is not comforting. Knowing this may change some people's mind about filling it out from the start.

As for the survey itself, on my last cruise there was so much "arm twisting" at the disembarkment meeting that I felt uncomfortable really providing unbiased and constructive feedback. The cruise director emphasized the importance of completing them and went as far as to say that all 10s are an expectation and anything less will result in contracts of the personnel not being renewed. Wow! While I want a great crew that provides great service, and anyone who is poor should not be working on a ship, I certainly would not want an 8 or 9 to send someone home. I had a few issues on the ship, nothing horrible, but a few constructive thoughts but I did not provide those as I did not want to "get anyone in trouble".

The 'arm twisting CD' must have been a cruise line other than HAL?

HAL's survey scores stop at 9 being the best possible score to select.

I do not put anything in the survey that I would not feel comfortable discussing in person with HAL personnel. If we do have an issue that can be addressed while we are on board we take it to the ships team. This gives them a fair and reasonable chance to make a change earlier rather than later. Having an issue or a challenge is one thing. How the company responds to those issues is the real test in my view. Anyone can can ask a customer to fill out a survey because that in itself can be a 'feel good' excersise that can sometimes satisfy certain complaints.

I received the same type of letter from the Hotel Manager when I was recently aboard the Maasdam. And, initially, I wondered what I had said and when I said it. Upon reflection, I did remember 3 different comments that I had made on three different cruises where improvements were needed, IMO. Happily, my guest survey form for my recent Maasdam cruise had lots of 9's and no negative comments or recommendations for improvements. Frankly, I am glad that HAL is letting us know that they are listening.

The 'arm twisting CD' must have been a cruise line other than HAL?

HAL's survey scores stop at 9 being the best possible score to select.

Since most surveys and ratings are 1 to 10 in the scoring, I will bet Middle Aged and Happy was just remembering that the CD was trying to get everyone to give the highest score possible and forgot HAL's highest is a 9 not a 10. A normal mistake.

Because they sure do "arm twist" at the disembarkation meeting. Been there many times or watched on tv. I don't think anyone can deny the CD goes on and on about the need for the highest rating, on HAL the same as other cruiselines.

Because they sure do "arm twist" at the disembarkation meeting. Been there many times or watched on tv. I don't think anyone can deny the CD goes on and on about the need for the highest rating' date=' on HAL the same as other cruiselines.[/quote']

Plus, right after the CD talks about the survey, they bring the crew onto the stage and remind you how terrific each group was (like we need reminding:)). And then they all sing. Bit harder to give bad marks after that.

While we had none, if there were issues you should let them know anyway. JMHO

My wife received the same letter two weeks ago on Oosterdam and we thought it strange. It got stranger when it was followed by non delivery of prepaid wine, hang up phone calls multiple times during the night, screwed up dinner reservations twice in the PG, changing from open seating to fixed at 8 pm, etc. Maybe all coincidental but never happened on HAL before. I wrote a letter to the hotel manager about it while on board but he did not reply. Also, offered two comp dinners for two in PG for our "problem" by the PG manager and they all showed up on our ship charges. Hard to contest them when you only get the statement two hours prior to disembarkation. Rest of the cruise was wonderful but it had a strangeness to it. I did attend the question and answer session with the captain, hotel manager, front desk manager and asked if there had been changes in the reservation system and they all said no. BTW-they all looked like they would rather be having group root canal surgery than facing the nine passengers at the question and answer session which only lasted about 30 minutes.

Gary

You're okay with your picture & home city on this very public message board for anyone to see, but you're concerned about HAL keeping your guest satisfaction survey?

I would say a bunch of strangers knowing your made up name is different than people who know where you sleep and have the keys to your room and the people who serve your food and know where and what you eat knowing the evaluations you've given to every past cruise survey.

Like the OP and others here, I knew my name and room number were on them, and I assumed it was to track down the stewards/waiters who did a good/bad job, as noted on the survey. I am less than thrilled if it is possible for someone to find out everything I've said about past room stewards/waiters. My hunch is that it is just a form letter that goes out to anyone who rated something less than a (for example) 5 on a previous cruise, to let you know that they're trying hard. Like others here, I think it'd be better sent to your house a week or two after the cruise.

The arm twisting makes the whole survey bogus. I no longer fill them out.

is much better than the ones we filled in in the past. Not only was there a point allocation but an area to put your comments about that subject. I am glad that they are aware of the issues and try to correct them. I am siure that they can't change everything to suit some respponders. I think they need to drop the smoking sheet as it gets some cruisers thinking that the line will become no smoking and confuse them.

We also received one of these letters, on our Nov 14th Ryndam cruise. My first reaction was "What on earth could I have complained about?" since we've always been very pleased with HAL. I suppose we may have given an "8" somewhere along the line, but I'm certain I never spelled out any specific dissatisfaction - because we've never really had one. In fact, I make it a point to praise those things and people whom I feel have done an exceptional job.

What this letter DID do, though, was make me feel pressure to mark the "9" so as to not make anyone think I was unhappy. In retrospect, I don't think I liked that pressure.

We also received one of these letters, on our Nov 14th Ryndam cruise. My first reaction was "What on earth could I have complained about?" since we've always been very pleased with HAL. I suppose we may have given an "8" somewhere along the line, but I'm certain I never spelled out any specific dissatisfaction - because we've never really had one. In fact, I make it a point to praise those things and people whom I feel have done an exceptional job.

What this letter DID do, though, was make me feel pressure to mark the "9" so as to not make anyone think I was unhappy. In retrospect, I don't think I liked that pressure.

And yet I basically said that the food in the MDR on our Veendam cruise sucked pond water and didn't hear a peep. Go figure.........:confused:

Archived