Elite Lounge Hours - possible change

Lsimon

I don't dring alcohol at all... And even "free" or "complimentary" words won't make me dring alcohol. So I don't care if it's 2-4 pm or 8-10 pm. But I will speak for those who like to use this nice perk. According to the latest reports (last Constellation cruises) the early seating time is moved to 5:45 PM. And it means that early seating will have only 45 minutes to enjoy the perk. Kind of a rush I think.

I'm on Constellation in two weeks or so. Dining was 6 and 8.30, then changed to 5.45 and 8.15 and is now back at 6 and 8.30. Perhaps as a result of the Elite Lounge change.

Phil

It is not whining to express a like or dislike of a particular policy. That does not mean the perk itself is not appreciated. My issue is that if there is a perk it should be applied in a manner that is the most fair to the majority of those to whom it applies. IMHO the current timeframe and dress code clearly favor the early diners. As such, I prefer it be changed.

Celebrity is in the business to make money. I do not for a minute believe they are giving these perks out of the goodness of their hearts. They obviously feel they are a good marketing strategy aimed at repeat passengers. (and in most businesses, repeat customers are ever so much more valuable than new - they are the backbone of their finances). So many posters come back at anyone who expresses a dislike of a Celebrity perk like this with the implication that they are doing us a big favor so we should just be greatful and shut our thankful little mouths. I, on the other hand, do not consider this a 'gift' but rather a marketing strategy they are using to please repeat customers. Being said repeat customer, I feel that I have the right to opinons about whether I like their marketing strategies or not.

When all is said and done it is not all that important to me what time the event is. But being able to express my opinion? I thought that is a big part of what these boards are about.

Amen ;)

It is a perk, so I accept it will not be tailored to my needs, nor will the desires of the majority influence its construct. The perk will reflect what the cruiseline wants, or does not want it to say.

I can go with 4-6 or 5-7 whatever, but what I do need is a much more liberal attitude to the dress code. We had no problems on Eclipse with the relaxed approach to the dresscode where I could come in wearing a smart sundress and my husband could wear tailored shorts however I did have a concern that some dress codes were being applied requiring those on late dinner to change from day wear before attending the event.

No one is asking to come in bathing robes or flipflops but please, can the code be as it is for breakfast or above. In other words, if you are dressed for dinner prior to attending first seating fine, if you are still to dress for dinner but are in the sort of clothes that can be worn in the ships dining room during the day, fine.

After all what we are wearing should not affect our enjoyment of our perk unless of course we are self appointed members of the fashion police :)

It is a perk, so I accept it will not be tailored to my needs, nor will the desires of the majority influence its construct. The perk will reflect what the cruiseline wants, or does not want it to say.

I can go with 4-6 or 5-7 whatever, but what I do need is a much more liberal attitude to the dress code. We had no problems on Eclipse with the relaxed approach to the dresscode where I could come in wearing a smart sundress and my husband could wear tailored shorts however I did have a concern that some dress codes were being applied requiring those on late dinner to change from day wear before attending the event.

No one is asking to come in bathing robes or flipflops but please, can the code be as it is for breakfast or above. In other words, if you are dressed for dinner prior to attending first seating fine, if you are still to dress for dinner but are in the sort of clothes that can be worn in the ships dining room during the day, fine.

After all what we are wearing should not affect our enjoyment of our perk unless of course we are self appointed members of the fashion police :)

Well said!

The dress code on Constellation continues to be enforced. The pre dinner drink hours were changed partially because so many said that they did not want to change so early prior to dinner for those on 2nd dinner. Cocktail hours will be from 5 to 7 and neither shorts nor T-shirts are on the smart-dress code list.

Access to the lounge is controlled and passengers are requested to change into the "smart casual" definition in print prior to gaining access.

The dress code on Constellation continues to be enforced. The pre dinner drink hours were changed partially because so many said that they did not want to change so early prior to dinner for those on 2nd dinner. Cocktail hours will be from 5 to 7 and neither shorts nor T-shirts are on the smart-dress code list.

Access to the lounge is controlled and passengers are requested to change into the "smart casual" definition in print prior to gaining access.

If that is the case, and it continues for some bizarre reason to be enforced on Constellation but not elsewhere when I am next onboard Constellation, to save the door police any hassle, I will not be attending cocktails but will be making full comment on feedback forms.

They need to realise these drinks are not being served in the evening, they are being served during what is still daytime on board when there is no requirement to wear smart casual in any other part of the ship.

I would have no problem being asked to wear smart casual if the event was in the evening but 1700 is not the evening

Excellent!

Sorry to the early diners for missing out on an additional hour of free drinks and socializing. But think of it this way, 9only in order to relate to the late diners) as a comparison to late diners, you would have to start the cocktail hours at 1:30 in the afternoon(essentially 4 and 1/2 hours before your 6 pm dining). That is why many of the late diners forgo the cocktail hour. They don't want to have their drinks that early before dinner. Just a thought!

And yes I have been in early seatings and late and select seatings, and I just go with the flow. Not trying to play favorite to one group or another.

Sorry to the early diners for missing out on an additional hour of free drinks and socializing. But think of it this way, 9only in order to relate to the late diners) as a comparison to late diners, you would have to start the cocktail hours at 1:30 in the afternoon(essentially 4 and 1/2 hours before your 6 pm dining). That is why many of the late diners forgo the cocktail hour. They don't want to have their drinks that early before dinner. Just a thought!

And yes I have been in early seatings and late and select seatings, and I just go with the flow. Not trying to play favorite to one group or another.

Of course, that 1:30 example is just nonsense...

Typically, 1:30 pm is smack in the middle of port time for EVERYONE...

By 4-6, most everyone is back onboard in many ports...Early diners do NOT come back to the ship two and a half hours before the late diners...

The hours in the typical cruise day are not merely shifted for respective seating times...

Often, Late Diners have a main show BEFORE dinner, Early diners after...

The hours spent at evening venues are merely reversed, not shifted...

Everyone returns from port the SAME time...and, generally most go to bed the same time...

It's really just a question of how each group spends their respective time between, say 4:00 pm and midnight--in what order one does what...

Happy Hour from 4-6 merely means that BOTH groups can avail themselves of the full two hours...One group can go from drinking to dinner to another activity while the other group would go from drinking to another activity to dinner...

Moving the time slot merely disenfranchises one of the two groups...

Think more in terms of...What if they only had ONE show each evening--at NINE PM?

What if they allowed the Early diners off the ship in port at 9:00 am but the Late diners were not allowed off until 11:30??

You take an amenity that is AVAILABLE equally to everyone and make it fully available only to half the Elite members and much abbreviated to the other half...

Everything on the ship does not have to be set up for the convenience of Late diners...and at the expense of early diners...If one doesn't want a gap between drinking and dinner, it's easy...just go to a bar at 7:30 and pay for the danged drinks then...

This why I don't post very often because even if you are trying to look at things objectively and from both sides of an issue there is always someone who takes undue offense and rants on about anything they can think of.

Happy cruising!

quote by Bruin Steve

"Everything on the ship does not have to be set up for the convenience of Late diners...and at the expense of early diners...If one doesn't want a gap between drinking and dinner, it's easy...just go to a bar at 7:30 and pay for the danged drinks then"

Yeaaaaa!!!! I eat late and do just that:D I love having drinks in

Martini Bar before dinner and am usually there on a nightly basis!

The old timing/new timing thing? It has no effect on that choice:)

quote by Bruin Steve

"Everything on the ship does not have to be set up for the convenience of Late diners...and at the expense of early diners...If one doesn't want a gap between drinking and dinner, it's easy...just go to a bar at 7:30 and pay for the danged drinks then"

Yeaaaaa!!!! I eat late and do just that:D I love having drinks in

Martini Bar before dinner and am usually there on a nightly basis!

The old timing/new timing thing? It has no effect on that choice:)

Same here (except it's more likely to be Ensemble on an S-Class ship.

I know I've read some comments on the Elite lounge hours in the past so I thought I'd throw this out:

We just returned from the Eclipse. The Elite Lounge evening hours were 5 to 7 rather than 4 to 6. The Captain's Club Hostess pointed out that this was the first cruise they'd had those hours and they would appreciate any comments pro or con on the end of cruise evaluations as they were trying to decide if they would change the hours to 5-7 on future cruises.

On our cruise the Elite Lounge evening sessions were held in the Sky Lounge and the morning breakfast was in Micheal's Club.

Great!!! I hope they change the hours to 5-7!!! Actually, 6-8 would even be better.......this way early dinner could stop in before and after dinner and late dinner could stop in prior to going to dinner at 8:30.

We're definitly not ready for cocktails at 4 pm........LOL We're usually still in bathing suits at that time.

By 4-6, most everyone is back onboard in many ports...Early diners do NOT come back to the ship two and a half hours before the late diners...

The hours in the typical cruise day are not merely shifted for respective seating times...

Everyone returns from port the SAME time...and, generally most go to bed the same time...

It's really just a question of how each group spends their respective time between, say 4:00 pm and midnight--in what order one does what...

Happy Hour from 4-6 merely means that BOTH groups can avail themselves of the full two hours...One group can go from drinking to dinner to another activity while the other group would go from drinking to another activity to dinner...

Think more in terms of...What if they only had ONE show each evening--at NINE PM?

What if they allowed the Early diners off the ship in port at 9:00 am but the Late diners were not allowed off until 11:30??

You take an amenity that is AVAILABLE equally to everyone and make it fully available only to half the Elite members and much abbreviated to the other half...

Everything on the ship does not have to be set up for the convenience of Late diners...and at the expense of early diners...If one doesn't want a gap between drinking and dinner, it's easy...just go to a bar at 7:30 and pay for the danged drinks then...

Celebrity take note!! Amen!!!

Great!!! I hope they change the hours to 5-7!!! Actually, 6-8 would even be better.......this way early dinner could stop in before and after dinner and late dinner could stop in prior to going to dinner at 8:30.

Clueless? Or a joke?

How about 8:30 to 10:30?

We are early seating and at 1:30 we are having a beer by the pool!! And so are a lot of the late seating people who say that 4 is too early to drink:D

That may be true........but are you fully dressed for dinner while your having your beer?????? :rolleyes:

Clueless? Or a joke?

How about 8:30 to 10:30?

You know what?? I've been on these boards a long time and just because I posted MHO you insult me??? I thought that's what these boards are for.......suggestions, ideas and opinions.

I didn't read this whole thread but I will when I have time - I only read the first post and the last page so far. What I don't understand........you all say that the time doesn't have to change to benefit late seating......well, it shouldn't be set up to benefit early seating either and that's exactly what it's doing! I think 5:00 to 7:00 is a much better time than what it is now............so let's see who's going to flame me for that.

It it started at 5:00, that would give early seating an hour and 1/2 and for one thing, we wouldn't even go until around 6:30 so it would only give us 1/2 hour which is fine with me - we're not really big drinkers anyway. The problem is that there is no way that we'd get dressed at 4 or 5 pm for dinner at 8:30............that's just insane!!! Cruising is a vacation, we don't rush on vacation......it's all about relaxing. So to be fair, I think they should change the hours.

Like I said I didn't read this entire thread yet so maybe the hours have already been changed...........I hope so!!!

The main problem with your reasoning is that you are assuming the cruise is a sight-seeing one, as in Europe.

We just returned from the Caribbean. Out of the 21 nights we were on board, we went to 4 happy hours. I can't tell you how many days I passed Michael's and commented to the door lady...wow, they are dressed already!

In the Caribbean, some passengers may shower and dress by 4, but to us that is still the middle of the afternoon.

Cinq a sept is more the norm. That is what Happy Hour is called in French!

Archived