FRESH off the Indy and WE DID THE BOOZE PACK!

Us too... Which sailing are you on, we're on the 6th aug.

6th August, same as you!

Going with some friends too, just called and told him the news....he's gutted too!

We got off Indy on Tuesday. I bought the beer/wine package for myself as i like a drink but didn't get on for the wife as she doesn't drink alot so didn't seem worth it. I think the main issue for RCI with this package is that they don't control it. All you needed to do was show you had a sticker on your seapass to get your drink. The possibility of using one package between 2 people is really easy - just go to one bar, get a beer then hop over to another bar and get another. Maybe they will reintroduce the packages with a system where they still swipe your seapass (without producing a receipt to sign) so that a time limit can be put onto it - only 1 drink every half hour or something like that. Maybe you will have to purchase for all passengers on your seapass account. As a sidenote - with the beer/wine package you also recieved a 25% discount on spirits - on their own or cocktails. You also got to "play the system" with this discount too!!! A number of times I bought 2 cocktails at the same time - some barstaff done it correctly and gave 25% discount on one of these drinks and charged full price for the second. Some barstaff (boleros!!) who weren't as sure about the packages put the discount on both drinks. As I said earlier - they need to set up the tills to automatically take of the correct discounts when the seepass card is swipped. With the current system they obviously don't know how much they've sold until they count whats left.

Maybe they will reintroduce the packages with a system where they still swipe your seapass (without producing a receipt to sign)

I'm thinking you hit the nail on the head with this one.

It's not like it is an AI resort where all customers on the same page.

They would need to keep track of how much the package customers drink and if card is swiped-sharing will become obvious and I'm sure there would be some sort of 'naughty room courtroom' per say.:p

They will probably just have to charge more for the package and only allow draft beer/wine rather than opening bottles.

I can't see them updating anything to do with technology at the tills because that would cost them money :rolleyes:

I can't see them 'keeping track' because trying to rehabilitate/monitor passengers is just way too manpower-intensive and cruisers are just going to go to customer service and complain that they didn't do it, it's not fair, etc etc.

It's interesting that they only suspended the packages on IOS.

If it's a matter of behavior, I would think that bad behavior would occur on all the ships with a similar frequency. If it's a matter of 'cheating the system', why wasn't it suspended on all ships? Are people only cheating or misbehaving on Indy?

Hello,

I became friendly with a barman on Celebrity Eclipse (he did come from my home town after all).

The drinks packages on CC are accessed using your keycard and your signature. Whenever your card goes through the till the barman can see how many drinks you've had that day. After drink 6 they are supposed to start serving you more slowly as that is supposed to be the break-even point for them.

I don't see why, as they are ultimately the same company, RCL doesn't just lift the bar system from Celebrity and stick it on RCL.

Regards,

Cublet

I'm interested in how they "serve you more slowly" after 6 drinks. Can see why they would want to do that, but not sure how they could execute it easily. Any ideas?

Hello,

Two ways:

Firstly actually to take more time pouring drinks/going to the stockroom/getting fresh glasses;

Secondly to serve 'out of turn' where possible - after all you are all on holiday and not in a hurry.

Regards,

Cublet

Right, an update!

The FAQ is back on the website. Says the package will be back on Indy next sailing. Looks like they have made some changes!

Packages 10 USD more per day

All guest's in a stateroom who are eligible have to buy it, even if only one wants it.

You have to show your photo ID with your Seapass card when you order!!!

I think it is still good value, I mean 10 bucks is like 2 beers extra a day. Not sure about all guest's having to buy it, I can certainly see this putting a lot of people off, but it will stop the abuse I guess. As will the photo ID, but I envisage a lot of lost ID's during the sailing!

:eek:

Oh yeah, not available on their 2 short sailing's end of this month; guess they were worried about 'booze cruise' mentality.

;)

Right, an update!

The FAQ is back on the website. Says the package will be back on Indy next sailing. Looks like they have made some changes!

All guest's in a stateroom who are eligible have to buy it, even if only one wants it.

You have to show your photo ID with your Seapass card when you order!!!

I think it is still good value, I mean 10 bucks is like 2 beers extra a day. Not sure about all guest's having to buy it, I can certainly see this putting a lot of people off, but it will stop the abuse I guess. As will the photo ID, but I envisage a lot of lost ID's during the sailing!

:eek:

Oh yeah, not available on their 2 short sailing's end of this month; guess they were worried about 'booze cruise' mentality.

;)

Thanks for the update.:)

Ummm...I am thinking this is a dumb idea...show ID when you order...well there is no way I would be carrying my passport (only photo ID I have) around the ship day and night if I ordered one of these packages.

And upped the prices already...geez not even a month since they announced them and already upping them. :eek:

Dont think this trial will last long.

Oh have they put the prices of packages up on the other two ships I wonder? :confused:

Crap-My husband does not drink so this no way works for me!!

Come on Royal :mad:

Does celebrity carry this policy???

And upped the prices already...geez not even a month since they announced them and already upping them. :eek:

How can you be surprised when so many people commented on how much they drank and everyone was making comments about how much drinking they do on average, most of them being UK posters who would take this particular cruise :confused:

Crap-My husband does not drink so this no way works for me!!

Come on Royal :mad:

Does celebrity carry this policy???

It is the easiest method of enforcement without having to alienate customers by accusing them of 'sharing'.

;)

I'm not surprised they upped the prices and (as a Brit) am ashamed to say that I thought this might happen having read some of the review of the drinking on the Indy but think it's unbelievable that they are saying everyone in a stateroom has to buy the package if one person wants it. Talk about taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut :eek:

It is the easiest method of enforcement without having to alienate customers by accusing them of 'sharing'.

I get the idea but still a bit unfair.

I ask again-does Celebrity make all parties in the cabin take the package???

Are the changes officially posted somewhere???

I get the idea but still a bit unfair.

I ask again-does Celebrity make all parties in the cabin take the package???

Are the changes officially posted somewhere???

Yes here in the FAQ section

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectName=topTwentyFaq&faqId=4761

Peteukmcr-thanks

I see the price increase but can not seem to find where all of age in the cabin must take it. :confused:

There is a link - Beverage Package Full Details & FAQs on the page Pete provided the link to.

Q. How does the guest buy the package?

A. The alcohol beverage packages will only be available for sale onboard. A package must be purchased by all eligible guest’s in a stateroom (Please note, exceptions

may apply). There will be at least one desk set up where the guest can purchase the required package and they will have a sticker affixed to the applicable room cards

to show they have the package and what type it is.

There is a link - Beverage Package Full Details & FAQs on the page Pete provided the link to.

Q. How does the guest buy the package?

A. The alcohol beverage packages will only be available for sale onboard. A package must be purchased by all eligible guest’s in a stateroom (Please note, exceptions

may apply). There will be at least one desk set up where the guest can purchase the required package and they will have a sticker affixed to the applicable room cards

to show they have the package and what type it is.

thanks-missed that!!

still sad face for me!!! :(

thanks-missed that!!

still sad face for me!!! :(

It is still in the trial phase. They are attempting to find out what works for the Royal Caribbean demographic.

So far, it's only available on Independence, Grandeur and Legend.

Archived