Volendam - big screen on deck?

Kaki

No, sorry it doesn't. It has a nice theatre room. There are no big screens on any Holland America ship that I know of to destroy the ambience and viewing of the ocean.

but the theatre room is nice :):) and the movies are on your tv the next day if that's preferable :)

No, sorry it doesn't. It has a nice theatre room. There are no big screens on any Holland America ship that I know of to destroy the ambience and viewing of the ocean.

but the theatre room is nice :):) and the movies are on your tv the next day if that's preferable :)

The Rotterdam and Veendam have the large outdoor screen as part of their "Retreat Area". To my knowledge none of the other ships have/are planned to have the outdoor screens. We'll see what the Maasdam has when she returns to FLL tomorrow after her dry dock.

Bob

Does the Volendam have the large screen on deck to show movies?

She didn't when she went into drydock March 31. Hopefully, she came out of drydock with that area unchanged. It was a lovely place back there.

Thank you! Do you happen to know what kind of movies are usually shown? Something appropriate for my 3.5 year old grandson? (who sits quietly through movies if they are kid friendly). Also, where is the theatre room on the Volendam? I looked at a deck plan and I could not find it.

The Wajang Theatre and Culinary Arts Centre is the venue for movies on the Volendam.

Movies can also be viewed on the TV in your room.

DVD's are available to borrow.

Thank you! I have seen the Wajang Theatre on the deck plan!

I don't know why some regard the big screen a big deal. I don't. And neither do most passengers because the shows were poorly attended on a Emerald Princess trans-Atlantic and on the Crown Princess cruise around Britain. I guess novelty wears off.

Also a poster said that the Veendam has a big screen. I just got off after 28 days. I never saw it so I never missed it, if indeed one exists.

The Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) are an interesting entertainment concept. If they are showing videos, playing music, running ads, or running a movie you have two options: 1) enjoy the show 2) or move to another part of the ship that the blasting sound doesn't reach your ears. Many have said in other forums they have been on ships parked next to another cruise ship that had MUTS and their peaceful port day aboard ship was literally destroyed as they were forced to sit there and listen to the other ships MUTS. I for one really do not like MUTS. There are movies in your stateroom and in the movie theater. There are some who love to sit poolside and enjoy a relaxing day without all the non-stop blasting from the jumbotrons. I for one am glad HAL hasn't implemented this into their fleet, and neither have Celebrity Cruises. The day they do, is the day I move on to another cruise line.

Recalling when we were in San Juan on a HAL ship docked adjacent to a Carnival ship. Our balcony had a view of the big screen and we watched some and HEARD ALL of a "MUTS". As I recall it was about a dog dressed in costumes. We would have preferred an inside cabin that night!

We don't go on a cruise to watch movies. We have a very nice fully equipment big screen movie theater in our house and we can and do watch movies there. We don't need or want the same experience on a cruise. Occasionally we'll catch part of a movie in our cabin as we get ready for the day or the evening but I can't recall actually deliberately sitting in our cabin watching a movie from start to finish just to entertain ourselves. If HAL had MUTS we'd probably just ignore it. If it was too much of a problem we'd probably look for a different cruise line.

I don't know why some regard the big screen a big deal. I don't. And neither do most passengers because the shows were poorly attended on a Emerald Princess trans-Atlantic and on the Crown Princess cruise around Britain. I guess novelty wears off.

Also a poster said that the Veendam has a big screen. I just got off after 28 days. I never saw it so I never missed it, if indeed one exists.

It is a big deal because for some folks, the only way they can appreciate anything is if it is electronic. Enjoying natural beauty unenhanced just isn't enough. Forget enjoying the ocean, the scenery, or exotic ports -- I want a movie! There aren't any movie theaters with big screens where I live that I can pay $10 bucks to go see a movie at, so show me one on the cruise that I paid thousands for! :D

Seriously, it's sad. It's fine to have an indoor theater -- but what's the point outside? Just the other day, I stopped at a McDonalds and they had a playland -- the only things in the playland where video games! No place for the kids to just run and play - just a two 4-sided video game stations.

Recalling when we were in San Juan on a HAL ship docked adjacent to a Carnival ship. Our balcony had a view of the big screen and we watched some and HEARD ALL of a "MUTS". As I recall it was about a dog dressed in costumes. We would have preferred an inside cabin that night!

The same thing happened to us. Forced us off all our balcony and inside the ship. Too, too loud and for me, it's not part of cruising - but that's just me;)

• 8 months later...
Now I am not the most trech saavy person but, I cannot believe that with all of technology that they can't have MUTS and give the people who want to watch it some kind of ear phones to hear it. That way everyone can win.

Sure. Remove the audio pollution, but leave the visual.

Not a winner.

Hate the MUTS....Did 14 day Hawaii circle on the Golden Princess last year and they showed all the third rate Hawaiian themed movies at least 4 times each...at deafening levels. We abandoned the main pool area to get away from it...and decided to abandon Princess completely as long as they doing MUTS...

Archived