how formal is formal?

dont worry, this isnt another "can i wear shorts to dinner" thread!

quite the opposite!

i LOVE to dress up, and was wondering what sorts of dresses do women wear for formal night? i dont want to be overdressed!

quite the opposite!

i LOVE to dress up, and was wondering what sorts of dresses do women wear for formal night? i dont want to be overdressed!

I ususally wear a cocktail dress, which I see a lot of other women wear.

You will see a wide range of attire on ladies on formal night:

1. Long, formal gowns: I see very few overall, but do see them.

2. Cocktail dresses: Very common

3. "church" type dresses: Also fairly common

4. Black pants and a sparkly top or sweater. Sequins not withstanding, these are often very casual ensembles but are common on formal nights nonetheless

5. Casual attire: Some people forego formal night altogether

Certainly not as overall formal as it used to be. But,you will see women in formal gowns and men in tuxedos and you'll see cocktail dresses, suits, sport coats and khakis and sun dresses, capris, and polo shirts. I usually wear a cocktail dress and DH either takes his sport coat or on longer cruises, rents a tux.

Thanks for all the answers. I was wondering the same thing. I have always worn long formal gowns but got rid of them last year and all I really have now is cocktail dresses. Do you all think a long maxi dress, if accessorized, would be ok even if it's cotton knit?

thanks for all the tips!

I wore this last cruise

230594_10150176060827007_696747006_7355955_4594798_n.jpg

however it has now been worn to 3 weddings and a cruise so i think its time for a new one.

I saw a nice dress that was sort of flared out, sort of ball gown ish, but i didnt know whether that was unsuitable and im just lookign for an excuse to buy it!!

I haven't done RCI yet... but I can say that on Carnvial formal is done but in the minority. But it was totally worth it for all of the oohs and ahs I got from other passengers. :)

5451190604_0297d6764b_z.jpg

thats a lovely dress!!

Hi - I wear long formals that I bought at David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo or other formal shops. These are Mother of the Bride -ish; they work for me at 70 years old!! DH wears a formal tux or his tux pants and a white dinner jacket with formal vest and shirt. I like the look of a long dress better on me and DH has not worn a suit since he retired; its either his tux or just a sport coat and silk knit shirt.

Dressing in formal attire adds so much to our cruises. We can dress casually anytime.:)

Margee

ON formal evening, it's almost impossible to "overdress"....as long as you don't have a tiara and train on your dress, you'll be fine.

Funny you mentioned tiara. My DD had a really nice Swarovski tiara for her Sweet 16 (she is 22 turning 23 now) and last week on our cruise she had the epiphany that a cruise would be a fun place to wear it! :)

To the OP - you can never be over dressed. enjoy.

Funny you mentioned tiara. My DD had a really nice Swarovski tiara for her Sweet 16 (she is 22 turning 23 now) and last week on our cruise she had the epiphany that a cruise would be a fun place to wear it! :)

To the OP - you can never be over dressed. enjoy.

Many of us wear a tiara............. :D :D :D :D

If you're planning on wearing something skimpy you might want to take a wrap or a bolero too. The aircon can be brutally cold. It's impossible to get happy medium temperature-wise when the girls are wearing as little as possible and the guys are kitted out in long trousers, shirts, ties and jackets...

going to rccl cruise next week, i bought these two dresses for "formal nights"

5911598585_dee56db5de.jpg

on834483-00vliv01.jpg

do you think these are okay? or not enough for formal nights?

I think you'll look wonderful and will have a very nice evening. Enjoy!:D

quite the opposite!

It's as formal as you want it to be. Don't change what you want to wear based on what others may be wearing.

going to rccl cruise next week, i bought these two dresses for "formal nights"

>>>>>>>snip fwd>>>>>

do you think these are okay? or not enough for formal nights?

Since you asked for opinions, I will give mine - the second dress you posted is more like a casual beach dress, to me. Having said that, a little bling and you will be fine wearing both.

This is the one time of the year I get dressed to the "nines" in long formal dresses and hubby wears a tux. Harder now with luggage restrictions, but I make it work. We just check a bag each and pay for it and then take our carryons. I love getting all dressed up on a 7 night cruise.

For 3 nighters, we don't do anything anymore, just go to Windjammers instead but for the longer cruises it is fun to feel elegant twice during the cruise.

Here is a pic of us on Freedom

IMG_5303.jpg.455013dccbfc2a4d75fa4ed2be1bfbc4.jpg

ON formal evening, it's almost impossible to "overdress"....as long as you don't have a tiara and train on your dress, you'll be fine.

I wore my wedding dress, but we were on our honeymoon and I wanted professional pics since we had an amateur photgrapher. I felt kind of conspicuous (is that spelled right?) but it was worth it to me for the pictures we got. And I kept the train bustled, but no tiara...

Since you asked for opinions, I will give mine - the second dress you posted is more like a casual beach dress, to me. Having said that, a little bling and you will be fine wearing both.

oooh! thanks for the advice! I'm not the type normally dress up so it's bit hard for me to do :P

well can't complain about shopping :D

This is our first RCI cruise. I am hearing a lot of conflicting information about the "dress code". It was my understanding that it only applied to the dining rooms? I don't dare ask the "Can I wear shorts?" question. However, since the airlines have lost my luggage, literally 50% of every flight I've ever taken, and since I don't even have to wear more than a polo for work, I really have no intention of packing "formal wear", especially on vacation. We don't plan on eating in the dining room as I travel with picky eaters. So did I pay to spend 4 of my 8 nights banished to my cabin after 6PM? Thanks for your help.

Archived