Flash Mob on Solstice

IrishLassie

I agree with sunnytag. A flash mob doesn't sound like something I want on a cruise either. That seems for appropriate to Carnival than Celebrity

Again! Carnival bashing on the Celebrity thread.I guess that must make people feel better about themselves.:mad:

I would love to see a flash mob on our cruise next summer.You are correct that the one from the Belgium train station is a real classic!!

I just love this. It is about time Celebrity give up the old stuffy character that people think they are. More younger people travel by cruising than ever before. I will never be an old fart because I enjoy a good time and this looks like a good time.

Pat

I just love this. It is about time Celebrity give up the old stuffy character that people think they are. More younger people travel by cruising than ever before. I will never be an old fart because I enjoy a good time and this looks like a good time.

Pat

Me Too Pat. I might be old but I am definitely not stuffy.:D

I love the flash mob that they had on the Solstice. And as far as signing up, it's supposed to "appear" to spontaneously start w/ a couple of ppl then more and more join in. It's not something that is "advertised". It just seems to occur to if people signed up the surprise spontaneous appearance would be kind of go down the drain.

Totally awesome....while this is my *Over the hill* cruise:D I'm not there yet! It looks like a lot of fun to me too!

No such thing as 'over the hill' on a cruise. In fact you shed 10 to 20 years just stepping on board! I would love to be part of a flash mob dance. :D

I've participated in them and have friends who run them professionally as gorilla marketing.

They're fun, I even have some favorites...

but if I'm relaxing with a string quartet and a drink, I'm looking for a specific atmosphere. I can't imagine fifty people singing a Paula Abdul hit from the nineties will make or break my vacation, but it's not what I'm looking for.

And I'm thirty, so not an old fart. Well, I'm thirty until Friday. Than maybe I'll be an old fart.

In that video I posted it appears to me that most of the dancers are employee's but some passengers join in as it goes along.

As for the flash mob thing itself. I'm one of those people that gets nervous at the thought of preforming in public. Doesn't matter if it's speaking, dancing or GOD HELP ME karaoke, I feel like I'm going to be sick. However, once I'm in the middle of it I'm fine and I enjoy it. With that being said I'm much better when there is a crowd that I can blend in with and so the flash mob has sparked my interest. Having searched for info on flash mobs and cruising I came across a thread on the Royal board that was a discussion of a flash mob that had taken place on the Allure of the Seas. Several people said that in the daily activity paper (sorry I can't remember the name) they listed a time for a group dance class and that once you were at the class they told everybody that at a specific time and place they would do a flash mod with the dance that they were learning. The video below was recorded at that specific time and place.

I really want to do one of these.

OK, I'll be the cruising snob and say that I would hope that Celebrity Cruises is a better cruise line with a more upscale ambiance to entertain the thought of Flash Mobs. The videos I have seen of RCI and Carnival passengers doing their thing are no where near as professionally produced as the ones you see in train stations etc and most are just a mess. The element of surprise is supposed to be a big part of it and it's hard to maintain that element when they recruit a hundred passengers to learn the dance steps and then perform in a pre-announced location so that those not participating can gather and watch.

Amazing reactions here. On Eclipse this was a wonderful, spontaneous event that HUNDREDS participated in on several floors, it was FUN! It didn't disturb anyone listening to "quiet" music in the area at the time as there was no other live music in the area at the time. It was just fun. It was good music, good dancing and all were sorry to see it end when it did. As I said, I don't dance, but I did on this evening and had a great time, as did many others. Celebrity is NOT about being just being sedate and quiet, it's about a wonderful vacation and having fun!! This was fun, for the children, the teenagers, the young adults, the middle agers and even for the senior citizens....there were many of all age groups participating!! Hope so much that we have one on Silhouette next month!

Am I the only one who thinks a flash mob is more annoying than entertaining? :(

No you are not! That was my thoughts exactly. If I am an old fart at 48 then so be it. Hey, I actually enjoy Lady Gaga's music but I find this "flash mob" stuff exactly what you just said.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't see this on next year's cruise.

Considering the 100's that participated on Eclipse I would expect to see these on X ships for the forseeable future.... Hope so, they are great fun!! There were far more participating in this event that anything else on that cruise....... beats the heck out of bingo!

That video from the Solstice looks like great fun... I would love to see one of these in person.

The flash mob

from Belgium is still my favorite... ignore the ad at the beginning and watch... hope you smile as much as I did the first time I saw it! I would guess just about everyone has seen it, but if you haven't, take a few minutes to watch it.

Sue,

That was wonderful.:D Thank you.

Nancy

I've seen the Antwerp video at least a dozen times -- it is the bar against all others are measured -- the shear joy of it is incredible (especially the first time you saw it if you had never heard to the concept.)

The sit-com Modern Family had a flash mob featured with Mitchell participating -- very funny. :D

It looked like a good time on the ship -- I'd be happy to be there when it's performed.

ps - I agree about the Carnival references - it gets tiresome. Maybe we people who love Celebrity and also enjoy Carnival are a little thin skinned :rolleyes:

Next we'll be seeing belly flop contests and beer by the bucket. :rolleyes: So much for Celebrity being a class act. :eek:

Since when is singing and dancing not a class act?

I love Celebrity but bringing some life to their ships is a good thing not a bad thing...and NO that doesn't mean belly flops, or beer by the bucket...

THIS is good clean fun, hurts no one and puts smiles on faces whether they participate or not.... I hope Silhouette has one planned for the 9/15 cruise!

Archived