Officers/Crew/Staff..........

sail7seas

In all the years I've been around these forums, over and over again, I read people asking what Captains, Hotel Managers, Stewards...... officers/crew/staff on ships earn. It always makes me shake my head.

Is there any other employment venue where so many 'customers' think they need to know such private information about those who are working hard to keep them safe and provide the best cruise vacation they can for all their guests?

Why?

Why does anyone think it's their business or need to know?

Do you check into a Hyatt and ask around what the Hotel Manager there earns? How about dinner at Applebees? Does it occur to you to wonder what the Host earns?

Why does it over and over again become a question to be asked and discussed as pertains to cruise ships? :confused:

(I saw the question asked AGAIN this week on a different area of CC and it never ceases to amaze me.)

In all the years I've been around these forums, over and over again, I read people asking what Captains, Hotel Managers, Stewards...... officers/crew/staff on ships earn. It always makes me shake my head.

Is there any other employment venue where so many 'customers' think they need to know such private information about those who are working hard to keep them safe and provide the best cruise vacation they can for all their guests?

Why?

Do you check into a Hyatt and ask around what the Hotel Manager there earns? How about dinner at Applebees? Does it occur to you to wonder what the Host earns?

Why does it over and over again become a question to be asked and discussed as pertains to cruise ships? :confused:

(I saw the question asked AGAIN this week on a different area of CC and it never ceases to amaze me.)

Well, Sail, I ask as I have met some nice captains and other officers and it's nice to know if they will be on my cruise. I also do meet and greets and always give them their own invitation. I like to prepare them before I leave so I can have them delivered right away.:)

If I am staying at a hotel, I already know who the Manager is, it's readily available or I have received an email from them (especially in Europe) confirming my reservation and arrangements :D

I don't want to know any private info - or how much they make. On board, their names are published in the Explorer - knowing ahead is just a bit of fun for some of us and preparation for meet and greet organizers;)

Kazu.....

I think you misread my question. I admit it was a bit 'wordy'.

What I am asking is why do so many, so often, ask what Captains, Hotel Managers, Stewards are paid..... what they earn.

As to knowing who will be aboard, by all means........ I always want to know what officers are scheduled to be on our cruises. After so many HAL cruises, we certainly have met many and enjoy seeing them again and again. :) For us, HAL is about the people.

Kazu.....

What I am asking is why do so many, so often, ask what Captains, Hotel Managers, Stewards are paid..... what they earn.

As to knowing who will be aboard, by all means........ I always want to know who what officers are scheduled to be on our cruises. After 70+ HAL cruises, we certainly have met many and enjoy seeing them again and again. :) For us, HAL is about the people.

I did indeed Sail, sorry.:o I have no idea why anyone would ask what they were paid! it's no one's business. From my past line of work, that comes under what I would call private & confidential.

I think some people have tried to figure out if the 'tips' are subsidizing salaries, but again, that's still private info. Other than that, I have no idea why anyone would ask . :confused:

I can understand generic curiosity in the form of being interested in say what a cruise ship captain but not what a specific captain earns. None of my business what Captain What'sHisFace makes. :) Heck I don't even care who is the captain of the ship long as they don't run into anything. :D I bet I couldn't name one captain on any cruise we've taken.

I never really care who they are or what they earn. I just want to have a wonderful cruise. I am not particularly interested in knowing who is the pilot or co-pilot on our plane or who is hotel or resort manager...nor what they earn.

I think it's just normal curiosity. I'm sure many feel being of the captain of a large ship is like a dream job (with incredible responsibilities) and are just curious what a job like that would pay. Most people don't have that sense of awe when they encounter the hostess at Applebees:rolleyes: I don't think that it's rude to wonder in general what they make.

LOL!

Try being a member of the clergy!

People demand they know everything about you, from your salary to your shoe size and what you ate for dinner a week ago last Tuesday! :D

But, I agree ... some of the demands on this board for information about ship's officers are just ridiculous. Personally, I'm happy to trust that the ship's officers are highly trained, competent, and superb at their jobs. At least, in my experience they have been.

I think it's just normal curiosity. I'm sure many feel being of the captain of a large ship is like a dream job (with incredible responsibilities) and are just curious what a job like that would pay. Most people don't have that sense of awe when they encounter the hostess at Applebees:rolleyes: I don't think that it's rude to wonder in general what they make.

Carol, I think you hit the nail on the head. Those of us that love cruising may fantasize about a career at sea. In doing that you cannot help but wonder what the salary range is. While I do not want to know personally what someone makes I have always been curious. Same goes I am sure there are cruiselines that pay more than others and treat their Officers and crew better. I honestly think when someone asks this question it is more of a complement than being rude. Of course it depends in the tone of voice that is hard to detect here.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Lisa, I worked as a zookeeper for many years. It was fairly common for visitors to ask what keepers made and what the education requirements were. I would explain what the qualifications were, current starting pay and the differences between the various positions. I was never offended by these questions. People are just curious.

Oh for heaven's sake this information is easily acquired on the internet....average salary ranges between $6,000.00 and $10,000.00 per month....at least five years experience in a subordibate position..well versed in maritime law and safety as well as company policy...and of course a degree from an accredited Maritme institution.

Out in the public domain for all to see....no need to ask anyone:)

Kazu.....

As to knowing who will be aboard, by all means........ I always want to know what officers are scheduled to be on our cruises. After so many HAL cruises, we certainly have met many and enjoy seeing them again and again. :) For us, HAL is about the people.

Well, if you want to know where they are, I got the schedule...

Most people are curious about other people and their lives. Those of us who cruise cannot picture actually living on a cruise ship. What the salary is, is part of that info. Why do you think Parade Magazine does it's "What People Earn" issue? It gives us an idea. Maybe Parade should consider including Cruise Ship Personnel in one of their issues?

Must be something wrong with me......

I'm just not that 'nosey' or inquisitive or whatever. I would never ask someone's salary. I wouldn't ask them and can't imagine I'd ask someone else what the other person earns. I don't ask lots of private questions.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Why?

We have been on some cruises where the staff have outright told us that they make either very little money or no money. We were once told by a wine steward that they will only make money from the wine that people order in the diningroom.

It made me very uncomfortable that she said this. We almost felt that we had to order from her because we felt sorry for her.....So, yes I would like to know the truth. I would like to know that people are getting paid sufficiently for the value and responsibility of their jobs.

I don't need to feel guilty that we can save for a cruise and are therefore richer than those who work on a ship.

I know some of this doesn't pertain to the captains, engineers etc., but in general terms 'we would like to know'.

Is there any other employment venue where so many 'customers' think they need to know such private information

Under the Brown Act Government Employees Salary information is often published in the News Papers. At least in California.

Archived