Do You Like HAL Letting us take Beach Towels.........

sail7seas

Do you like that HAL lets us take beach towels off the ship to use for the day? Do you like you don't need to pack and lug your own from home? Don't have to bring the dirty things home again in your suitcase?

If so,,,,,,,,,,

Please.

Bring them back when you return to the ship or you know they will have to stop permitting them off.

We had a Housekeeper tell us he has literally put stewards into taxis in big beach ports and had them walk the most popular beaches to collect all the towels that were left behind by guests who just didn't care enough to return property that didn't belong to them.

They came back loaded down with all the wet, sandy towels.

It's the ones who think only of themselves that ruin it for everyone. If you don't want to carry a dirty, wet towel back with you, think ahead and toss a plastic garbage bag in your beachbag/backpack. Stuff the towels in them when it's time to return to the ship and deposit them in bin provided at the gangway.

Rant over.

It's something that really bothers me and I've itched to write this for ages. :)

Do you like that HAL lets us take beach towels off the ship to use for the day? Do you like you don't need to pack and lug your own from home? Don't have to bring the dirty things home again in your suitcase?

If so,,,,,,,,,,

Please.

Bring them back when you return to the ship or you know they will have to stop permitting them off.

We had a Housekeeper tell us he has literally put stewards into taxis in big beach ports and had them walk the most popular beaches to collect all the towels that were left behind by guests who just didn't care enough to return property that didn't belong to them.

They came back loaded down with all the wet, sandy towels.

It's the ones who think only of themselves that ruin it for everyone. If you don't want to carry a dirty, wet towel back with you, think ahead and toss a plastic garbage bag in your beachbag/backpack. Stuff the towels in them when it's time to return to the ship and deposit them in bin provided at the gangway.

Rant over.

It's something that really bothers me and I've itched to write this for ages. :)

Judy, this isn't an issue for me as I am not a beach person & therefor would never have any requirement for taking towels, of any kind/type off of the ship whenever I would be going ashore! As long as there would be enough large towels for use at the Lido Pool or on the Promenade Deck to "dress" the loungers I am/would be happy! ;)

We had a laundry supervisor just tell us a few days ago tell us the loss on beach towels is between 10 and 15 percent per ship. Not sure what period that is. Common practice is, apparently, take two towels, and to only bring back the cleaner dryer one, not lugging back the sandy wet one.

On this last cruise we just finished, they were monitoring and documenting issued and returned towels as a reminder.

Often I've wondered about this. Sadly I'm not surprised that so many towels aren't returned.:( I do hope that HAL won't have to discontinue providing the towels, but I would certainly understand if it came to that.

We aren't beach people, we usually find something else to do (except when at HMC). So it wouldn't affect us, but I think it's a great service for those who do like going to the beach.

I agree Judy - please, please, please bring back your beach towels.

One of the reasons we stopped sailing on one of the cruise lines was that they required everyone to sign out towels including at the pool. We felt as if we had to monitor our towels - not a particularly relaxing way to spend our time.

I think that they limited us to one towel each as well.

Be responsible - if you take a towel off the ship, bring it back when you return.

I completely agree. If this courtesy is abused, it will result in a charge for future towel use. And personally, I don't like have to sign-in and sign-out towels as it is a hassle. I'm grateful for the post as it reminds everyone of their responsibility and its potential impact on the rest of us.

HAL has us so spoiled with beach towels. We recently sailed on Celebrity and when we got to the gangway there were no beach towels. It ended up that they were supposed to be waiting in our stateroom but were never put in place there so we ended up going to the pool to get towels to take off the ship with us. Not what we wanted

to do but rather what we were told to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We take and use towels from the ship whenever we're going to the beach. DH puts them in a backpack and we bring them back that way. Yes, it's tempting to leave wet and sandy towels on the beach, but we never do and hope that more people would be considerate and thankful that HAL provides this service.

This is one of those little things that HAL does that, at least to me, make me feel like my comfort is their concern, so here's some nice towels for you to use while ashore, and we trust you to bring them back.;) NCL also gives you towels at the gangway as well, however you must sign a charge sheet, and unless you sign your towels back in upon return, they charge your account for the cost.:rolleyes:

I'm surprised that is the case, I've never failed to return a towel that I checked out. If you borrow something you have to bring it back.

And, yes HAL has spoiled me. On a recent RCL cruise we were surprised to find that they didn't issue beach towels at the gangway. The only place to check them out was on Deck 15 by the pool...and if you failed to check it in your room was charged $25.00.

We had an unusual experience with the bath towels we took off the ship (Oosterdam) in Hawaii this past Nov. We had planned to go a beach on Lahaina, but that didn't happen, instead I ended using them for someone who got hurt. He fell backwards while riding on a walker and struck his head. They came in handy to place under his head and for me to knee on the road in shorts. So I was glad to have had them. As an after thought, happily the man was checked out in a hospital was returned to the ship okay, with large lump on his head. He finished the cruise just fine.

HAL has us so spoiled with beach towels. We recently sailed on Celebrity and when we got to the gangway there were no beach towels. It ended up that they were supposed to be waiting in our stateroom but were never put in place there so we ended up going to the pool to get towels to take off the ship with us. Not what we wanted

to do but rather what we were told to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We recently sailed on Celebrity and had the opposite experience -- too many beach towels in our stateroom lol. We couldn't figure out why they kept leaving more beach towels in our cabin. We never used any of them either. :p

Years ago we used to take beach towels off the ship -- but we always brought them back. I kept one older HAL tote bag just for thise purpose.

When we go to HMC -- just to walk around -- we no longer pick up any towels. But I sure have seen a few towels laying on the beach within no one in sight -- and they were definitely and covered.

Something to think about and maybe mention at M & G's......

I was shocked when the Housekeeper told me about sending the stewards out in taxis to gather them. I wonder if they do that every cruise or if that was individual to him/that ship?

Am I the only one who has left the ship with one or two towels, and returned to the ship with three or four?

I guess some people are living their lives hoping others will be there to pick up after them...

:cool:

Have each guest sign out his or her towel and sign it back in upon return. Charge the room account if it is not returned. It works for others. It might work for HAL as well.

IMO

If HAL charged $24.00 per towel like Carnival does, they probably wouldn't have that problem.

Solved.

This is exactly what they did last week on Eurodam. We took towels off in Grand Turk and St Thomas. They require your room# now and if it is not returned you are charged $20.00 per towel.

When we returned them they again asked for our room # and showed them as returned. It was really an easy process and had no problem with it.

Another case of a few people ruining it for everyone. I can't believe people would leave the towels behind. Too bad if they are wet and sandy. Who got them that way:rolleyes:? Good on HAL for charging for them for people that can't be responsible. I hope HAL does follow through with showing the towels as being returned. They seem to have problems with some of their record keeping.

This is one of those things that seems to me to simply be bad management on HAL's part. People in the modern age understand that such things as signing for a beach towel are not sacrifices in quality and do not reflect poorly on HAL.

Truth of the matter is that in contemporary society, some people simply do not care enough and do not appreciate that they need to be responsible about such a thing as returning a beach towel.

That's sad, but I think it is the truth of the matter.

If HAL is/was losing 10 or 15 percent of their towels, it's their own fault.

IMO

Archived