Lessons for RCCL from Concordia

Kruiser@

Well when all is said and done, I will be at the muster drill, and then take a casual walk to find the lifeboat area I am suppose to go to. And while walking around the ship, will find various ways to/from my cabin to get to the deck with my lifeboat station. Being pro-active and having even a bit of a plan will help in an emergency. Also packing my little flashlights and keeping them in my purse/day bag.

Talk about safety, received an email from Celebrity CEO yesterday (actually a mass marketing statement) which I thought was a good statement where he stated the cruise line's safety concerns and linked safety information. Thought the proactiveness of sending the mass email was probably a good thing and can only imagine they are reacting to potential / or real questions blanketing their line and the industry in general at this time.

Wondering if RCI has sent something out also?

Actually it has been stated many times that while she is an employee of Costa she was actually NOT employed by them for this particular sailing.

I keep hearing she was a "former" hostess for Costa. I've heard nothing about present tense employment with them at all.

To the PP: She may have been translating, but it wasn't her job to do so, at least not on this sailing.

I think you raise a very valid point - if you muster somewhere inside - where IS your boat?

Muster inside is OK - but show me the route to the boat too.

The route to your boat could change depending on the circumstances of the emergency. If you assume that the crew has been well-trained and well led to handle emergencies, you have to trust that once passengers have been assembled at their muster station and an abandon ship decision has been announced, those well-trained crew members will lead or direct you to the appropriate lifeboat. Having people assemble at life boat stations before a decision is made to abandon ship is almost guaranteed to have less than optimal results, especially if the weather conditions are not favorable.

It has been my impression that when I've had an "inside" muster station, it has been a place that had "emergency" exit doors outside (or down a stairwell and then outside). Honestly ... I believe that mustering away from the lifeboats is actually safer. It clears passengers out of the way.

Also, let's be honest here ... the mob is unruly, and I truly believe in a real emergency, at least a small percentage of people are going to lose their cool and rush the boats (especially if they are in sight). Heck, on other threads on this site, I've seen people saying that they would skip going to whatever room they are assigned and head straight to the boat. There will always be people who decide either that they are more important or that they know better. At least a central muster station would give you the chance to meet and go to a different side in case of a severe list.

I'm not sure why what you have written is so difficult for some to understand, but those who, as you say, "know better" are the ones who most likely will create situations where widespread panic is likely to ensue. Not every emergency will result in passengers having to be evacuated from the ship by lifeboat and being away from the lifeboats may provide the best means of handling the situation in a controlled, rational manner.

Muster station is primary for my family while understanding literally uncountable things can make this station unreachable or unusable.

While allowing cruise ship personnel to guide the process if they can or are able, we can and will launch canister rafts and help others to do so.

Cruise staff can be dead, panicked or even overcome by mob rule. You can find areas away from this activity and fend for yourself and those in need near you.

Never forget:

WE can survive.

WE MUST survive.

WE WILL SURVIVE.

THEN DO IT.

Just ASK during or after your muster drill where your lifeboat is. Also, your boat number is on your life jacket and on your cabin door.

Agreed pcur. I find it hard to believe even the most unseasoned cruiser does not know that your muster station is on your seapass card and the deck with the lifeboat on your door in your cabin. I have been at muster in the auditorium and inside at Bolero's. But I am not as naive as to wait around "INSIDE" while a ship is sinking for someone to come get me if no one is there. I'm at the lifeboat itself waiting, and if the situation worsens, I am in the water, swimming to shore with my Mae West on dude:cool: Dang, ya have a brain, why not use it...just sayin. Not insensitive, just pragmatic.

Well when all is said and done, I will be at the muster drill, and then take a casual walk to find the lifeboat area I am suppose to go to. And while walking around the ship, will find various ways to/from my cabin to get to the deck with my lifeboat station. Being pro-active and having even a bit of a plan will help in an emergency. Also packing my little flashlights and keeping them in my purse/day bag.

Talk about safety, received an email from Celebrity CEO yesterday (actually a mass marketing statement) which I thought was a good statement where he stated the cruise line's safety concerns and linked safety information. Thought the proactiveness of sending the mass email was probably a good thing and can only imagine they are reacting to potential / or real questions blanketing their line and the industry in general at this time.

Wondering if RCI has sent something out also?

Yes, many have been receiving an email from Adam Goldstein (Royal CEO) similar to what you described above.

Please do not second guess things, the young lady was a crew member who spoke a few languages and was on the bridge doing translation work or so she said in her interview on BBC news last night but of course if you know better thanks for the insight.

She was not employed by Costa on this cruise, she was a paying passenger. She had previously been employed by Costa as a dancer and a part time interpreter. She spoke Italian, Russian and English. She had become a friend of the captains on previous cruises. I doubt that she would be on the bridge in an official capacity, unless the crew only spoke Russian and the captain only spoke Italian. You're welcome to the insight.

Just ASK during or after your muster drill where your lifeboat is. Also, your boat number is on your life jacket and on your cabin door.

Is that really correct now they have muster inside? I seem to only remember it having muster station number and cabin number on it, no lifeboat station. I thought that the idea of a central muster station was to optimize the best lifeboat choice at the time of the emergency. At all the drills, I recall being told in the event of an immediate emergency, go straight to the nearest lifeboat and don''t worry about your life vest, there are enough on the lifeboats.

What happens to Pax whose muster station and or lifeboat was under water ???

Do you really expect evacuation to be neat and orderly when a ship is on its side and it is pitch black at night I think we should be grateful not more people got injured or died

This accident happened during late dining As far as I know restaurants are on lowere decks

I truly believe it was a miracle so many people were actually saved

I'm also pretty sure drills will now be held as it was in the past in front of lifeboats not in indoor venues

I pray I never go thru this ordeal Climbing down a rope ladder as many pax had to could not be an easy task

Should we rethink cruising????

Amazing new AP photos of the starboard side before it was submerged. Clearly they got all the lifeboats (and some life rafts) away on that side, despite what some people have previously believed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091752/Costa-Concordia-pictures-lifeboats-fleeing-like-scene-Titanic.html

So the lessons to be learned seem to be mostly about decision making and evacuation procedure, not fundamental redesign (although no doubt all the design and operation of the lifeboats will be looked at in minute detail in the inquiries, and rightly so). In a sense that's good news, they are easier to do something about. In another sense it's horrible, because everyone should have been able to walk off the Concordia.

Amazing new AP photos of the starboard side before it was submerged. Clearly they got all the lifeboats (and some life rafts) away on that side, despite what some people have previously believed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091752/Costa-Concordia-pictures-lifeboats-fleeing-like-scene-Titanic.html

So the lessons to be learned seem to be mostly about decision making and evacuation procedure, not fundamental redesign (although no doubt all the design and operation of the lifeboats will be looked at in minute detail in the inquiries, and rightly so). In a sense that's good news, they are easier to do something about. In another sense it's horrible, because everyone should have been able to walk off the Concordia.

Yes pics were out practically as it was happening that showed that nearly all lifeboats were deployed. I couldn't figure out why media kept reporting that the list prevented many from deploying, when it looked like maybe only three or four boats got stuck.

I am in the water, swimming to shore

Hmmmm.... could be in for a long swim on our trans-atlantic coming up. :rolleyes: Lifeboat please!

Just checked our last SeaPasses. Station W11 was Schooner Bar (W12 was Chops). No directions or even description of what W11 translated to on SeaPass or cabin door. Our cabin attendant told us what W11 was.

I like the inside (central) muster stations because it allow for a better playbook of options for different situations. Hypothetical... Red-2 (fire in engine room) would dictate an entirely different response than Yellow-31 (ammonia leak in refrigeration contaminates 2 decks). Some times mustering is just to find out who is accounted for and not to leave the ship.

I like the inside (central) muster stations because it allow for a better playbook of options for different situations. Hypothetical... Red-2 (fire in engine room) would dictate an entirely different response than Yellow-31 (ammonia leak in refrigeration contaminates 2 decks). Some times mustering is just to find out who is accounted for and not to leave the ship.

Very well stated, I agree 100%.

Hmmmm.... could be in for a long swim on our trans-atlantic coming up.

Even on a transatlantic, the good news is that you are probably never more than 5 miles from land. The bad news is, it's straight down.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

If ships had emergency slides like on airplanes which could become life rafts as well as the life rafts on board wouldn't that buy a lot of time?

If there was an emergency either the captain or crew could release the slide doors and the slides would deploy. The anchor would automatically deploy.

Furthermore if it detects rocks in the area the auto navigation system could compensate.

If the boat was sinking there would be a quick way to exit via the slides. Each slide door has a color and your life vest would have the same color so the crew can quickly send you to the nearest slide to leave the boat.

I agree. The days of meeting in one place and being lead to the boads is over. Some of the bodies found on the Concordia were in the "waiting areas". It is time to head to the deck and be ready to board when and where you belong, not hoping for someone else to do their job and take you there.

If ships had emergency slides like on airplanes which could become life rafts as well as the life rafts on board wouldn't that buy a lot of time?

If there was an emergency either the captain or crew could release the slide doors and the slides would deploy. The anchor would automatically deploy.

Furthermore if it detects rocks in the area the auto navigation system could compensate.

If the boat was sinking there would be a quick way to exit via the slides. Each slide door has a color and your life vest would have the same color so the crew can quickly send you to the nearest slide to leave the boat.

A few issues with this...

Where would the slides deploy from? The current life boat deck? That's a LONG way down on most large cruise ships. What would people slide into/onto? If the slides were to become life rafts, that would require a LOT of slides or some really BIG slides. The Oasis and Allure can hold over 8000 people.

Or you could just go for a walk and find your lifeboat while exploring the ship. Don't leave everything up to the crew - it's the passengers responsibility to find out where things are.

White water rafters have a saying...

YOU must be an active participant YOUR OWN rescue.

I work in an industrial environment and can almost always tell you three things wherever I am:

- closest phone

- closest fire extinguisher

- which way is OUT (I'm not hanging around if something big happens)

On the ship YOU need to know where your muster station is AND how to get to it - from more than one location. Also remember, in an emergency crew stairwells will be opened up and can cut 10+ minutes off of your time moving around the ship. There are fire doors at the ends of most corridoors, they close automatically - but can still be opened by hand.

I think you raise a very valid point - if you muster somewhere inside - where IS your boat?

Muster inside is OK - but show me the route to the boat too.

Since no one knows where you might be on the ship at any particular time that an emergency happens, how can you be shown the route to your lifeboat? I always take the time during my walks around the ship to find the boat that I am supposed to go to. They are all on the same deck. It doesn't take much effort.

Or you could just go for a walk and find your lifeboat while exploring the ship. Don't leave everything up to the crew - it's the passengers responsibility to find out where things are.

Agreed with all the post's so far, but this is more true than i think most believe.

I think the GP puts to much faith in the fact that others are going to insure their safety.

The GP should be doing just as sparky said. Check things our for ourselves, whats the best way out of any situation. find your exits, stairs and station on your own, and keep doing it. Does not have to be a formal thing but in your mind all the time.

Considering what it is like to grab a elevator after a show, can anyone imagine the mass confusion to get to a life boat when they have no clue how to get there?

I always pre plan my exits, where ever we go. Doesn't take long. Its a good practice.

Thinking the girl who brings me dinner or fluffs my pillow is going to get me off a ship with 5000 people on it is a bit over whelming for me!

Our very first cruise we mustered in a lounge, with our orange vests...I was very trusting and nieve...had no idea where our boat would be...but I can tell you in the event of a real emergency I would not want to meet in that lounge:mad:...I'd have been standing on the rail ready to do the Titanic plunge...or jump something.

I have since learned to be more responsible, and know where my boat is...and how to get there from anywhere on the ship. I also carry a small pen light flashlight with me at all times...the DH laughs at me, but after the Concordia, I made my point...'I bet THOSE people would have liked my puny pen light"...he now digresses.

I guess it's my nursing/scouting background to "always be prepared".

Don't take safety for granted, It could be you next.

The DH spent hours watching the staff do lifeboat drills in Cozumel while I was lounging by the pool reading. It was very reasuring for us that they really can get those boats down and in the water in a matter of minutes.

Our very first cruise we mustered in a lounge, with our orange vests...I was very trusting and nieve...had no idea where our boat would be...but I can tell you in the event of a real emergency I would not want to meet in that lounge:mad:...I'd have been standing on the rail ready to do the Titanic plunge...or jump something.

I have since learned to be more responsible, and know where my boat is...and how to get there from anywhere on the ship. I also carry a small pen light flashlight with me at all times...the DH laughs at me, but after the Concordia, I made my point...'I bet THOSE people would have liked my puny pen light"...he now digresses.

I guess it's my nursing/scouting background to "always be prepared".

Don't take safety for granted, It could be you next.

The DH spent hours watching the staff do lifeboat drills in Cozumel while I was lounging by the pool reading. It was very reasuring for us that they really can get those boats down and in the water in a matter of minutes.

Depending on what the emergency is, you might actually be better off mustering in the lounge where you can be properly instructed as to what will be going on, than huddling outside in less than great weather. Knowing where your lifeboat station is wouldn't help if, as in the Concordia incident, it is on the side which is listing towards the water making that boat inaccessible.

Certainly, you need to be prepared for any emergency, but you also need to understand that the specifics of an actual emergency don't necessarily require the same procedures in every instance. Listen to and follow the instructions of the crew which has trained to deal with a variety of possible emergencies, some of which won't require anyone to abandon ship, and you will be much more likely to be safe.

If you observed the crew safety drills you should realize that there are many possible scenarios so it is much more important to follow the crew's instructions than to rush willy nilly to the outside deck below the lifeboats.

It seems a logical thing to ask when you are at the muster drill with the people who will be assigned to help you in an emergency. At the very least, these people would know where your lifeboat is located, and then you go and visit it!!

Archived