Medical Emergency on Westerdam

About 30 minutes ago our Captain announced that we have changed course, and are travelling at top speed heading to St.Thomas as we have a medical emergency on board and this person needs to be transferred to a hospital. This means that we may or may not get to HMC, but who really cares as long as this person can get the medical treatment they need. We should arrive in about 3 hrs. And will be met by an Ambulance and customs officials

Our prayers go ou to them and their family.

Barbara

Sorry to hear this. Hope that the person will be alright.

We also had a medical emergency on our Maasdam cruise.

It happened while we were at sea:

At 4:45 the captain announced that helicopter was on the way and should be near the ship by 5:15. The Crow's Nest and Spa/Gym areas were closed. The camera in the bridge was adjusted so that people could watch everything on the TV if they wanted to. The captain said that the nurse would be flying with the patient to San Juan and then she would fly from San Juan to meet the ship in St Thomas tomorrow.

The patient was to be flown from San Juan to Miami. The patient's wife was to fly from St Thomas to Miami.

The winds were high and the captain did an excellent job of turning the ship 30 degrees so as to use the ship as a buffer against the winds.

The helicopter made several attempts before everything fell into place.

The helicopter was very near our verandah:

2251.JPG

2261.JPG

2271.JPG

2281.JPG

Many of us were a few minutes late to dinner -- but no one seemed to mind.

Sorry to hear this. Hope that the person will be alright.

We also had a medical emergency on our Maasdam cruise.

It happened while we were at sea:

At 4:45 the captain announced that helicopter was on the way and should be near the ship by 5:15. The Crow's Nest and Spa/Gym areas were closed. The camera in the bridge was adjusted so that people could watch everything on the TV if they wanted to. The captain said that the nurse would be flying with the patient to San Juan and then she would fly from San Juan to meet the ship in St Thomas tomorrow.

The patient was to be flown from San Juan to Miami. The patient's wife was to fly from St Thomas to Miami.

The winds were high and the captain did an excellent job of turning the ship 30 degrees so as to use the ship as a buffer against the winds.

The helicopter made several attempts before everything fell into place.

The helicopter was very near our verandah:

2251.JPG

2261.JPG

2271.JPG

2281.JPG

Many of us were a few minutes late to dinner -- but no one seemed to mind.

Are you saying that they hoisted people up off the ship into the helicopter that was hovering above?

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying that they hoisted people up off the ship into the helicopter that was hovering above?

YES.

It is a delicate operation for which these teams train extensively... including the deck team on the ship.

Copper10-8, who posts here, once gave an excellent description of the entire procedure and it was amazing to read.

Maybe a search would find it. It is worth looking for it was so good.

IMO

YES.

It is a delicate operation for which these teams train extensively... including the deck team on the ship.

Copper10-8, who posts here, once gave an excellent description of the entire procedure and it was amazing to read.

Maybe a search would find it. It is worth looking for it was so good.

IMO

Oh my. I can't even imagine watching let alone being one of the participants.

Positive thoughts and prayers that the passenger will be okay.

We had a helicopter medical evacuation happen on one of our Bermuda cruises, the woman had fallen and broken her hip. It was unbelievable to see in person.

I have a photo of it because the cruiseline (Majesty) sold them...which was a little odd.

Our kids were 6 and 7 at the time and the kid's club had a great view of the entire lift.

When we got back that's all they talked about, you'd never have known we had just returned from one of the most beautiful islands. :)

Yes, this happens.

The day after leaving Seattle,at approximately 2 pm, on the 2010 Trans Pacific crossing, in quite rough seas, the Captain asked everyone to remain seated, while the ship was turned around, to head toward Portland, for a medical emergency. He stated that a helicopter would come out to collect the patient, when the ship reached a suitable distance from land.

The helicopter arrived at about 6.20 pm, we were at dinner, at one stage we could see, from our table the helicopter hovering, after quite some time the helicopter with patient on board, departed.

This reminds me oh so well of the three passengers that needed to be Air lifted off the Oosterdam when we were with in 100 miles of Hawaii. Truly an amazing procedure. Prayers going out to the passenger and family. I totally agree it is worth missing HMC to save a life.

Yes, we would hope for the same care if it were us. Life is short and we do what we can but we always pray and enjoy life to its fullest. Praying and hoping for a good recovery for the whole family that had to cut short their vacation.

Yes they were -- including the nurse that had to go along with the patient.

This is not the first time (or first cruise line) when we have had patients hoisted up from the ship.

Years ago we were on the Amsterdam. We had left Seattle, first port was Vancouver and then our next port was San Francisco when a patient had to be air lifted off the ship. The winds and rains were terrible. They managed to get the patient up but the medvac man had to be stay behind on the ship. They couldn't risk another lift with such bad weather. Many of us were all up in the Crow's Nest watching everything -- nothing was closed off on the ship for safety concerns. The medvac man had to stay in the Suite to next to ours.

Captain announced this AM, that the patient is in stable condition and because of everyone's cooperation it only took 8 minutes to get the patient off the ship and into the ambulance. We will arrive in HMC Saturday morning at 8.

Another first for us, one of our dinner mates had dropped his moms urn this morning into the beautiful waters of the Caribbean. A very touching moment.

Archived