who was your favorite cruise director and why?

Richard Spacey is by far my favorite.

Ken Rush is my least favorite.

I figured Ken was intentionally being avoided. He is one of my favorites. The knock seems to be his one on one personality. I never talked with the guy one on one and I don't expect a CD to fawn over me for my C&A Status or Suite status, but he did his job exceedingly well. His morning show was full of very useful information and he did a good job with Quest and Love and Marriage. I also enjoyed Ricky Matthews, though 3 times on Majesty with him, his act never changed, especially on a route that so many people do over and over. He did run one of the best Quests.

The only bad one I had, and perhaps she had a bad week was Carly S..... forget the last name, had her on Jewel in 2014 out of San Juan. She might have been ill that week, but she seemed to be making minimal effort all week and when she did seem better she seemed to quiet and reserved for a CD. Her Love and Marriage was rushed between dinner seatings and her quest was the most boring ever.

I also liked Amy Fickert when I was on the Radiance, but I hear that she isn't well liked. :o

Amy got mixed reviews when she was on Oasis, but she seems to have found her niche on Radiance and gets consistently positive reviews now.

Many CDs don't like the big ships because there are multiple activities going on at the same time, so they cannot be as involved as on smaller ships. It's less intimate, with less passenger interaction.

The only bad one I had, and perhaps she had a bad week was Carly S..... forget the last name, had her on Jewel in 2014 out of San Juan. She might have been ill that week, but she seemed to be making minimal effort all week and when she did seem better she seemed to quiet and reserved for a CD. Her Love and Marriage was rushed between dinner seatings and her quest was the most boring ever.

We had the same impression of Carly Boileau on Jewel. She was very low energy and quite ineffective. That was our most boring cruise - the activities, shows, entertainment in the smaller venues, were just way below usual RCI standards.

Edited by DonnaK

Amy got mixed reviews when she was on Oasis, but she seems to have found her niche on Radiance and gets consistently positive reviews now.

Many CDs don't like the big ships because there are multiple activities going on at the same time, so they cannot be as involved as on smaller ships. It's less intimate, with less passenger interaction.

Well I'm glad to hear that!

I never understood why some people on here disliked her, but now it makes sense. :)

We had the same impression of Carly Boileau on Jewel. She was very low energy and quite ineffective. That was our most boring cruise - the activities, shows, entertainment in the smaller venues, were just way below usual RCI standards.

Just like with cruisers, CD's have to find the 'size of ship' that best fits them. But they also need to grow and expand in their jobs, because the assignments they get, will probably include ships that are not their favorite. The cruiser on board, should not feel that they are less comfortable on that ship either. It isn't the easy job that too many cruisers must feel it is.

Graham Seymour by a mile

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it Graham Seymour who goes on stage and sings fabulously the song "Chasing cars?" Very memorable!

The most memorable all around and favorite: Richard Spacey.

What does a cruise director do and why should I care? Seriously, I've been on three cruises and I have no idea who the cruise director was on any of them. Did I miss something?

No you did not miss anything....you were just having a good time, without noticing them much. They are always the MC at the nightly show, and as clarea has pointed out, they are responsible for all the entertainment and activities that go on onboard the ship.

Some CD's are more visible to cruisers on board than others, each CD has their own personality as well.

It took us many more cruises than 3 to realize just how much impact a CD could have. Along with the CD is their right hand person in the role of Activity Manager. Activity Managers have had an impact on our cruises as well. They generally have even more 'public appearance time around' on the ship and can be so very personable and interactive with cruisers.

I believe my cruises are like 'adult camp' (understand that is me, and may not be how others look at it), so interactive CD's and AM's make my cruises more fun. That doesn't mean my view of it, is anyone else's.

Edited by Paulette3028

Our next cruise, Navigator over Thanksgiving we expect to have Jeff Arpin as CD along with Cuddy Cudsworth as AM. Never had either of them on a ship with us, in our cruise history, so looking forward to meeting them and experiencing the fun they can bring along.

My favorite is Christiaan who is on Disney Cruise Line. Just the right mix to me.

We had Amy (didn't bother to learn the last name) on the Radiance this summer and UGH. She was like nails on a chalkboard. WAY too cheerleader-y for me. I kept expecting her to go "Ready? O!K!" whenever she introduced something.

This does make me remember a question I had after cruising both DCL and RCCL. Are the cruise directors not considered "officers" on RCCL? They are on DCL, and as such they wear their whites (dress or otherwise) around the ship with a costume or two to introduce the shows (back to the whites for the post-show) or on Pirate Night. I found that I missed that formality on RCCL, and the only thing friends and I could come up with is on RCCL they aren't considered officers? Anyone know why they don't wear whites but their own clothes on RCCL? I know it's a little thing, but it's something I noticed and that for me was a distraction.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

We found Amy to be less outgoing & entertaining then Ken Jones and other CD's we have had. Rarely saw her during the cruise. We spoke with Ken and told him we wished he were continuing on with us to Vancouver off the Transpacific.

She had, unfortunately, perked up by the 7/31 cruise. As I indicated, to me she was like nails on a chalkboard - way too perky and cheerleader-y for my tastes.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Our next cruise, Navigator over Thanksgiving we expect to have Jeff Arpin as CD along with Cuddy Cudsworth as AM. Never had either of them on a ship with us, in our cruise history, so looking forward to meeting them and experiencing the fun they can bring along.

I've only been on one cruise so I have no basis for comparison but I sailed in May and had Arpin and Cudsworth. From other comments on favorite cruise directors I have a feeling Arpin isn't flashy by comparison, doesn't really have a trademark that sets him apart and isn't overly visible. That said I found him to be really professional and a good communicator. He has some corny jokes but for the most part he seems like he's comfortable being more behind the scenes and letting his staff shine...

Which brings me to Cuddy. I personally loved the guy. Bright, funny, a big ole bundle of energy and a wannabe sex symbol lol. During the Village people bit on the Promenade he was the construction worker and he was on the prowl to dance with any woman who was in his way. My wife turned red and was praying he wouldn't make it to her and he didn't. I was cracking up but I can see some more conservative folks finding him a bit raunchy I suppose. He was pretty visible throughout the sailing though and very personable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it Graham Seymour who goes on stage and sings fabulously the song "Chasing cars?" Very memorable!

The most memorable all around and favorite: Richard Spacey.

That's the one

[YOUTUBE]QVy72rMM44M[/YOUTUBE]

His morning shows are also amazing.

Looking forward to sailing with Clo O'Connor again on the Brilliance repo cruise from Boston to Tampa. She has long been our favorite CD and we have been fortunate to get to know her during numerous cruises on Jewel and Brilliance. In fact she was the CD on our very first TA in 2002 on Brilliance of the Seas when she oversaw a very moving memorial on the first anniversary of 9/11. Don't miss a chance to walk with her every day onboard. Others whom we have definitely enjoyed have been Joff Eaton, Carly Boileau, Keith Williams and Dan Whitney. Look up the word "pompous" in the dictionary and you will likely find a photo of Ken Rush.;)

Having been on many cruises and on Cruise Critic for many years, I would often shake my head in wonderment when people would talk lovingly about cruise directors. To me they were people who tried to be funny or sing or some such annoying thing before and after shows, and otherwise never to be seen.

I wouldn't have been able to name a single one or remember a single face.....until we were on the Brilliance a year and a half ago and met up with Clo O'Connor! Finally, I got what people were talking about. A CD who was out there mixing with people, making everyone feel welcome, someone who seemed to care...funny and good at her job. I don't know if we will ever be on another ship with her, but the month we spent on the Brilliance was especially memorable because of her. Thank you Clo!

I've only been on one cruise so I have no basis for comparison but I sailed in May and had Arpin and Cudsworth. From other comments on favorite cruise directors I have a feeling Arpin isn't flashy by comparison, doesn't really have a trademark that sets him apart and isn't overly visible. That said I found him to be really professional and a good communicator. He has some corny jokes but for the most part he seems like he's comfortable being more behind the scenes and letting his staff shine...

Which brings me to Cuddy. I personally loved the guy. Bright, funny, a big ole bundle of energy and a wannabe sex symbol lol. During the Village people bit on the Promenade he was the construction worker and he was on the prowl to dance with any woman who was in his way. My wife turned red and was praying he wouldn't make it to her and he didn't. I was cracking up but I can see some more conservative folks finding him a bit raunchy I suppose. He was pretty visible throughout the sailing though and very personable.

Thank you for your remarks regarding Jeff Arpin and Cuddy Cudsworth.