"LIVE" from Celebrity Silhouette - March 29, 2012

Radio

Morning Radio!

How I wish I were on the ship too. Mother Nature is playing a very cruel April Fool's joke and it is snowing here in Ontario.

Take a deep breath of warm air and sunshine for me today please!

Anne

cruiserke;33124255']Enjoying your pictures of the Silhouette. Please keep her in good shape' date=' we're boarding the cruise after yours, on April 10th. Also, don't drink all the Jack Daniels, we'll be needing some of that :D[/quote']

hi cruiserke - i don't remember seeing you on our april 10th thread. c'mon by, it's a great group of people and we have lots of group events planned.

I think I read that the Alcoves Cabanas' hold 6 passengers. They supply 2 one ltr bottles of water, towels, and an iPad with music,movies, and games. They were running a special yesterday. If you reserved one of the Alcoves, you also received a voucher for "The Porch" and "Bistro on 5" for lunch.

Sorry you waited up for pics. . .I was worn out. . .More pics today.

Radio

;);)

No worries.....i don't get mad...i get even!:D;)

the cabana things sound like fun.....Hmmmm

Ahhh...the wine-o-matic!!! I think I love that..

and I see you found my favorite "floor" on the ship!;):D:p

The Guest Relations area really does NOT look like a ship...

wow.....Hmmm.......:confused: Might really have to think about this whole S class thing.....

have a great day!!!

My first Radio cruise...how exciting! I recently "took" a cruise with Trainman and he spoke so highly of Radio, I had to hunt him down and follow along, as well!

Do you think anyone would be offended if I sucked on the wine o matic spout like a baby bottle? Sigh...probably...

The ship is gorgeous. I love the modern/elegant decor, very clean lines and classic yet contemporary. My husband has been talking recently of trying a Celebrity cruise out of LA, as we're west coasters...these photos (and that wine o matic) make me want to jump ship from RCI and give it a try.

My one concern...and anyone please answer this...we're both in our mid 30's and while we certainly know how to behave like good and proper adults, are the Celebrity cruises more "mature"? It isn't like we're looking for a frat party, but I'm just curious if we would run into any other thirtysomething's, or if the chances would be slim.

Good Morning Radio, Your photos are wonderful. I love the martini bar and for me the upper level of Hideaway is awesome, I just love the whole concept of sitting up in a tree. The Martini bar decor is amazing. Modern but yet it evokes a sense of glamour from the past....that I LOVE! :)

Still have my fingers crossed to be sailing on Summit this May! Enjoy your day! CruiseDivaNJ

Morning Radio!

How I wish I were on the ship too. Mother Nature is playing a very cruel April Fool's joke and it is snowing here in Ontario.

Take a deep breath of warm air and sunshine for me today please!

Anne

APRIL fools joke here in NL as well...31 cms of snow.....we'll be VERY happy to finally get away from winter!!

Hello Radio...absolutley LOVE your live reports...I do have a question for you on Celebrity vs. Royal...Are you finding there are many families on Celebrity? Our boys just turned 14 and 16 and we just got off the Explorer a few weeks ago and found it to be a great fit for us. Wondering what "activities" Celebrity has....minigolf was a big hit with our gang, as well as rock climbing for my husband. While we did go skating, the ice shows themselves were the bigger wow!

My one concern...and anyone please answer this...we're both in our mid 30's and while we certainly know how to behave like good and proper adults, are the Celebrity cruises more "mature"? It isn't like we're looking for a frat party, but I'm just curious if we would run into any other thirtysomething's, or if the chances would be slim.

sredish:

We are in our late thirties. Sailed on the Solstice a couple of years ago and have since sailed on Royal's Enchantment.

We went on the Solstice knowing that we would be younger than most on board...I think there were only about 10 other couples our age.

A cruise is what you make of it. There is not the music around the pool all day long like on the Royal Caribbean ships however we at no time felt out of place. We were basically going to spend time with each other and enjoyed the beauty of the ship and the quiet. The other passengers were really friendly and as new cruisers it was fun to listen about all of their travels.

I think if you know what to expect going into the cruise you will love it.

Radio - thanks so much for helping me relive our Silly cruise on 3/17. Those areas in the Martini Bar were our favorite hangouts before dinner. We were 10+ and always were able to fit more seats around the alcove areas.

Enjoy "our" ship. This was our first S class and we love the whole concept.

Radio,

How do you do this? :confused: I can't even quote it with the navigation picture correctly!

Thanks

I connect my GPS to my laptop, and screen capture a Navigation program that will show our position. . .

I used to be able to do this with Google Earth Plus, but that feature is not available.

Radio

;);)

Good Morning Radio, Your photos are wonderful. I love the martini bar and for me the upper level of Hideaway is awesome, I just love the whole concept of sitting up in a tree. The Martini bar decor is amazing. Modern but yet it evokes a sense of glamour from the past....that I LOVE! :)

Still have my fingers crossed to be sailing on Summit this May! Enjoy your day! CruiseDivaNJ

Yes, CruiseDivaNJ. . . Thanks for the nice comments. it seems that the tag line for Celebrity Cruises of "Modern Luxury" really fits Celebrity Silhouette. :)

Radio

;);)

My first Radio cruise...how exciting! I recently "took" a cruise with Trainman and he spoke so highly of Radio, I had to hunt him down and follow along, as well!

Do you think anyone would be offended if I sucked on the wine o matic spout like a baby bottle? Sigh...probably...

The ship is gorgeous. I love the modern/elegant decor, very clean lines and classic yet contemporary. My husband has been talking recently of trying a Celebrity cruise out of LA, as we're west coasters...these photos (and that wine o matic) make me want to jump ship from RCI and give it a try.

As far as the age of the passengers........that can change from cruise to cruise. Typically, I think longer cruises have older cruisers just because vacation time doesn't come into play. Having said that, we try to cruise over Thanksgiving because that's less vacation we have to take and on the Silly last Nov, there was a nice mix of older and younger folks but still not very many children at all.

For the person that asked about kids, there usually aren't many children on the longer cruises. Personally, if I had young kids I wouldn't bring them on the Silhouette.....there is no rock climbing, no mini golf, basketball courts were up front so very windy vs how RCCL's are in the back of the ship and near all the other activities. No pool games except for volly ball and that was more for adults. No promenade and I find that kids love the promenade.

Things do change from cruise to cruise so not sure anyone can answer that question right about age of cruisers. For instance, Radio said the card room got busy later in the day. Well, we were on deck 9 right by the card room and I swear they had marjon (hmm, I don't think I spelled that right) ready to go at 7 a.m.!!! LOL My friends were on the port side and we were on the starboard side and we really thought it was funny how these people played from early morning. Don't know what happened during the day because we were out and about but later in the day the card room was always full too!! LOL Just depends on what type of cruisers are on the ship.

Age doesn't bother us and we always have a great time regardless of who is on the ship......we've been on plenty of cruises with lots of walkers/wheelchairs, etc. and it doesn't matter to us as long as we love the ship and cruise. A cruise is what you make of it!!

Thanks for the nice comments, Sredish. . . .This cruise may be different than most, but there seems to be a lot of 30 - 40 something's on board this sailing. My experience is that Celebrity seems to attract a more mature crowd, but it seems that everything just feels like a very laid back crowd. It is very comfortable. I think that there are more families on board (Holiday Sailing)

Radio

;);)

Thank you again Radio for taking your time for doing another "LIVE" report.

Looks like Bermuda grass for the Lawn Club. ;)

Thanks Freo. . .you are correct. It is a mixed Bermuda, and Rye. . .The rye is being used to fill in many of the areas that the Bermuda grass was damaged.

Silhouette will be replacing a lot of the Lawn when they go to Italy next month. I spoke with the "Grass Attendant" and they think that the salty air and the low temps at night may be causing the problems. . . Not that one would be a concern, but the combination of both. . .

Radio

;);)

Radio, thanks so much for all your pictures and reviews, they are wonderful!!! It's really making me think I would love to cruise on "X" again!!!

I love the martini bar!!!! Tell me more about that wine pouring. Do you show your card per glass or how does it work? I see they have one of my favourites, St. Francis, though I couldn't zoom in to see if it was cab, zin or something else.

Thanks again for spending your time entertaining those of us on land!

Enjoy your last sea day for a while!!!

Cheryl

Hello everyone. . . It started out to be heavy clouds this morning, but the clouds went (mostly) away and the sun was very strong. I didn’t think it was possible for more passengers to lay out in the sun, but I think that today was the day. . .Passengers took every square foot of the pool decks (or so it seemed) That what is popular on a Cruise right ?

The Celebrity Life Activities included Excite the Senses: Cooking Demo, and Beyond the Podium: Hubble in Space Frontiers. Most of these are in Celebrity Central. . .A small theater that is appropriate for demos, and lectures. They have a lot of Movies in there as well.

I was happy to see the Captain, along with the Chief Engineer down at Café Al Bacio. He was chatting with passengers, and seemed to be very accessible. He suggested to me while I was seated (waiting for the Barista) that I should try the Bacio Café Americano. . . I did try it, and it was very good. . .Wow w/2 shots of espresso. . .I was wired ! Do you need to stay awake? Try a Bacio Café Americano. . .it will set you back $4.50, but it tasted very good.

Captain Kafetzis suggested today at noon, that we “should” arrive in St. Thomas tomorrow. He sometimes get the Virgin Island, and the Dominican Republic mixed up. We are only about 300nm from one of those Islands. . . Our nearest point of land is the Turks and Caicos (200nm).Tomorrow the forecast is for mostly sun, and 83F.

Here are a few pics from today. . .

Radio

Ooops. . .I was caught of guard by the Lawn Club sprinklers. . .

D26.JPG

Passengers enjoy the sun on the Aft decks. .

D28.JPG

The Party Band “Kenosis” played very good music.

D29.JPG

The Pool decks were packed tight !

D30.JPG

Celebrity Central (Deck 4) is home to many of the Celebrity Life Activities

C11.JPG

A Bacio Café Americano at Café Al Bacio. . .

D23.JPG

Hope the sprinklers didn't get you too wet Radio!!!

Unfortunately your pictures didn't show up on my screen this afternoon. Maybe they'll come up later. Enjoy the rest of your day and as always, thanks for sharing!!!

Cheryl

Thanks Freo. . .you are correct. It is a mixed Bermuda, and Rye. . .The rye is being used to fill in many of the areas that the Bermuda grass was damaged.

Silhouette will be replacing a lot of the Lawn when they go to Italy next month. I spoke with the "Grass Attendant" and they think that the salty air and the low temps at night may be causing the problems. . . Not that one would be a concern, but the combination of both. . .

Radio

;);)

Thanks Radio....my curiosity has been cured???? My question has been answered...

Hope the sprinklers didn't get you too wet Radio!!!

Unfortunately your pictures didn't show up on my screen this afternoon. Maybe they'll come up later. Enjoy the rest of your day and as always, thanks for sharing!!!

Cheryl

Open your eyes cheryl!!!;)

Hey Radio....that coffee and those little croissants looked mighty yummy!!! :p

the more photos i see the more i want to just come get on the ship when it comes back.....

Hope that the Captain doesn't get lost....worse comes to worse, you end up at "SAINT SOMEWHERE.."

Thanks Radio....my curiosity has been cured???? My question has been answered...

Open your eyes cheryl!!!;)

Hey Radio....that coffee and those little croissants looked mighty yummy!!! :p

the more photos i see the more i want to just come get on the ship when it comes back.....

Hope that the Captain doesn't get lost....worse comes to worse, you end up at "SAINT SOMEWHERE.."

My eyes were open Meg!!!!! I just had red squares inside of boxes where the pictures should have been!!!!! The pics are there now thank you, i'm sure it's just my computer!!!!!! I'm with you, I want to be on the ship NOW!!!!!!

Hello everyone. . . It started out to be heavy clouds this morning, but the clouds went (mostly) away and the sun was very strong. I didn’t think it was possible for more passengers to lay out in the sun, but I think that today was the day. . .Passengers took every square foot of the pool decks (or so it seemed) That what is popular on a Cruise right ?

The Celebrity Life Activities included Excite the Senses: Cooking Demo, and Beyond the Podium: Hubble in Space Frontiers. Most of these are in Celebrity Central. . .A small theater that is appropriate for demos, and lectures. They have a lot of Movies in there as well.

I was happy to see the Captain, along with the Chief Engineer down at Café Al Bacio. He was chatting with passengers, and seemed to be very accessible. He suggested to me while I was seated (waiting for the Barista) that I should try the Bacio Café Americano. . . I did try it, and it was very good. . .Wow w/2 shots of espresso. . .I was wired ! Do you need to stay awake? Try a Bacio Café Americano. . .it will set you back $4.50, but it tasted very good.

Captain Kafetzis suggested today at noon, that we “should” arrive in St. Thomas tomorrow. He sometimes get the Virgin Island, and the Dominican Republic mixed up. We are only about 300nm from one of those Islands. . . Our nearest point of land is the Turks and Caicos (200nm).Tomorrow the forecast is for mostly sun, and 83F.

Here are a few pics from today. . .

Radio

Ooops. . .I was caught of guard by the Lawn Club sprinklers. . .

D26.JPG

Passengers enjoy the sun on the Aft decks. .

D28.JPG

The Party Band “Kenosis” played very good music.

D29.JPG

The Pool decks were packed tight !

D30.JPG

Celebrity Central (Deck 4) is home to many of the Celebrity Life Activities

C11.JPG

A Bacio Café Americano at Café Al Bacio. . .

D23.JPG

I am glad you found Captain Kafetzis so personable. We enjoyed him very much on two cruises..........The Infinity Panama Canal cruise in October of 2008 and then the Solstice European and TA cruises in November 2009. He seems to MBWA, manage by walking around, and it is very effective. He makes a point of talking with the passengers and is very friendly!!!!! We are boarding the Silhouette for the April TA and the Med cruises and we hope he is still the Captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We enjoy the all comments but one thing folks could do to streamline things is not repeat the pictures when making a comment...Just a thought!...

We have been on Equinox & Solstice (2X) and can't wait to be on Silho when this cruise returns!! Although the ships are similar in design, it seems they each have their own personality!

The pictures of Cellar Masters are lovely and make us think we'll give that space another try-- to date it has seemed dark & very quiet on the other ships... How do you pay for the self-serve by the the glass & is there any charge for the antipasti?

Have a great time in port!!!!

I agree with your suggestion hcat. I don't agree with people not making comments on the review. How would a poster like Radio know how much we like his daily posting if we couldn't comment? Keep up the great work Radio, we are all enjoying your pictures and stories. Don't spend too much money in St Thomas! We're still enjoying the bamboo sheets we bought there.....so soft.

Archived