giving wrong ages to keep kids together in kids club

miaamy2004

We are new cruises booking on carnival sunshine next year to europe. My two children will be aged 11 and 8 (turning 9 one month later) on the beginning of the cruise. Does it matter if I bring my child's age forward a month on my booking to allow them to be together in the kids activities. Carnival breaks them down to 6 - 8 years and 9 - 11 years. We only miss out by one month to keep them together, but by doing this the passport birth date will be out by one month, does that matter?

Dont lie about their ages. If the passport doesnt match, you may be denied boarding, and it's really too big a risk.

Better to speak to the kid's club once onboard. They usually are willing to work with you. We tried this once and were told that on the first day, the kids had to go into their assigned age group, and then if they still weren't happy, the change would be allowed on the second day.

Do not lie about this.

Be honest. More than likely the children will have to go in their respective age groups.

Aside from anything else it really does not set a good example for your children if the parents are lying. Trust me as they get older you really want to know what they tell you is truthful and you don't want them to say, well you lied so it was OK.

Keith

Yes, it matters, this is lying and it won't work; the ship will be aware of your children's true ages and the kid's club will have this list. I am not sure why this question gets asked so many times, but most children do just fine when they are not in the same group as a sibling.

Don't know about Carnival in this situation ... but on some cruise lines (Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean) if you explain you want your child with his/her grade level, they will quickly make the change.

Example: Our older DGD has a birth date that school wise sometimes puts her in a grade level above her normal younger age group on a cruise. Opposite with the younger DGD ... her birth date puts her in a level on a cruise above her grade level. They are always more comfortable being with their grade level and cruise lines understand this ... seems more important than age.

Not exactly what you were asking but maybe it could be helpful to some and may even apply in your case.

As the others have said, REALLY bad idea to lie. They have a complete list of all children and know as well as you their real age.

There are few 'identity secrets' on a cruise ship........ as should be IMO

Yes, it matters, this is lying and it won't work; the ship will be aware of your children's true ages and the kid's club will have this list. I am not sure why this question gets asked so many times, but most children do just fine when they are not in the same group as a sibling.

They will know the true birthdates of your kids (surely you don't plan to alter their passports).

If you are going when school is in session, you may find a smaller number of kids onboard, and the age groupings may change.

Often the kids' staffs on many ships will not consider moving up a child for many reasons (insurance, number of staff hired for each group, that too many times they're heard: My child is very mature for his/her age -- and it turns out to be not so true).

But here's some more things to consider: you may think the siblings want to be together, but if given their dithers, they want to be with kids their age. They will be in different classes in school (unless they go to an one-room school house or are home-schooled). And think of the other kids in the 9-11 group -- they might not be so thrilled with an 8-yr-old in their mix (that one month isn't important to them, it's the current age that is).

In addition to all of the previous posts, I once worked at a job where age was important for placement. Seems the kids always managed to "set the record straight" and it was quite embarrassing for the parents.;)

Missing the age requirement by one month and being siblings, I doubt they will give you a hassle. It's not like one is 4 and the other is 14, where age appropriate activities factor in. But rather than speculate, I'd check with the line now and if they say "no" and that's a big issue for you, consider alternatives.

Missing the age requirement by one month and being siblings, I doubt they will give you a hassle. It's not like one is 4 and the other is 14, where age appropriate activities factor in. But rather than speculate, I'd check with the line now and if they say "no" and that's a big issue for you, consider alternatives.

The problem then becomes, when do you cut it off.....one month, two months, three months?;)

Yes, best to check with the cruise line.:)

I guess the question is, is it right to lie?

We are new cruises booking on carnival sunshine next year to europe. My two children will be aged 11 and 8 (turning 9 one month later) on the beginning of the cruise. Does it matter if I bring my child's age forward a month on my booking to allow them to be together in the kids activities. Carnival breaks them down to 6 - 8 years and 9 - 11 years. We only miss out by one month to keep them together, but by doing this the passport birth date will be out by one month, does that matter?

They KNOW how old your child is.

DON

They know how old they are because you have to give the correct date of birth or you will not be allowed to board the ship. To keep the kids from being disappointed, i would tell them they might not be together. Our son missed the cut off by a week, and was not able to go with his sister. He pouted for two days, then was happy again. Better to tell them no now, and be happy if they can later, then to have them think they will be together, and they are not.

Believe me, it didn't "slip" out. It was more like "NO I'M NOT EIGHT, I'M SIX!!!":D

my dear sister & b-i l took my children to an amusement park once. They told my youngest that if anyone asked, he was to say he was 2, not the 3 he really was (2 was free).

when they got to the admissions counter, no one even questioned his age, but commented to him how cute he was and he volunteered, "I'm three, but my aunt told me to say I was 2"

She said that's what she got for trying to teach him to lie and we all still laugh about it.

That said, we went on a Carnival cruise years ago with friends. Kids were all friends, but had disparate ages and the 5 children would have been in 3 different age groups. My friend and I spoke to the staff and the end result was splitting them up into 2 age groups.

Archived