How long from Cruise rookie to cruise veteran???

I had a great experience on my first cruise in April, and am looking forward to my second next February. I still feel very much like a cruise rookie.

How long did it take before you felt like a cruise veteran? Was there a certain something that you did or didn't do that made you say- I am a cruise veteran?

;)

I felt that I was a cruise veteran after I booked my first cruise on-line alone. It's a great feeling to be in charge of your booking and travel.:D

Have been cruising 13 years and still feel like a rookie when booking on a new cruise line or on a trip I haven't been on before...

Welcome to the wide world of cruising, you have taken your first step, now you can become a pro cruiser. Enjoy:D C.G.

I have been cruising since 1987 and still don't feel like a veteran.

There is always something new to learn, and just when I think I know how something works, they go and change it, even when it is a ship that I have cruised on many times before. :D

Many cruise line policies have changed through the years and may change again at any time. Keeps things interesting.

I think it is when you get out of your comfort zone and stop doing the same cruise over and over. Be the kind of cruiser that does not go the same cruise twice and you will get more experince and knowledge faster than most. Also dont stay with one line try others to find the right fit.

The simple answer is that it's all relative. We have spent more then 2 1/2 years cruising, been on more then 65 different ships, traveled to over 100 countries, and all that jazz. We were recently on a long 62 day HA cruise and had a wonderful table with 2 other couples. Compared to these folks we were the rookies. To be honest it was great to be the rookie and learn from these other 4 folks.

Hank

I had a great experience on my first cruise in April, and am looking forward to my second next February. I still feel very much like a cruise rookie.

How long did it take before you felt like a cruise veteran? Was there a certain something that you did or didn't do that made you say- I am a cruise veteran?

;)

I think after a handful of cruises you get it all down, but when you go on a new cruise line you have new things to learn too.

Keith

When we first started to cruise back in the 80's, there wasn't any internet - had to work through a TA. We were also sailing on different cruise lines so we never felt like we were a veteran as we were learning new things and different things about each cruise line.

We have been sailing mainly on HAL and have over 110 cruises on various cruise lines. But now I feel like we not are veterans as we will soon be trying another cruise line and have to start learning all over.

Cruising isn't a mystery...it's simply a vacation. There is no "right or wrong" way to do it. When you're "comfortable"...you're a veteran....congrats!

For some it may be a vocation! And that's a mystery.

I've been cruising since 1997 and stopped counting after 30 cruises, but currently feel like a rookie looking forward with trepidation to our first Celebrity cruise :o

Why are you cruising with a line that fills you with unnecsssary angst? Cruises are to enjoy!

When we first started to cruise back in the 80's, there wasn't any internet - had to work through a TA. We were also sailing on different cruise lines so we never felt like we were a veteran as we were learning new things and different things about each cruise line.

We have been sailing mainly on HAL and have over 110 cruises on various cruise lines. But now I feel like we not are veterans as we will soon be trying another cruise line and have to start learning all over.

Which cruise line are you cruising next, KK?

Of course, after your many HAL cruises, I'll be so interested to hear about your experience.

Hope it is Wonderful!

I know what you mean about feeling liking you are starting all over. We probably would feel the same.

We have such a comfort zone with HAL and it's been years since we sailed other lines. We lilke that 'cruise veteran' feeling and think one gets to assign 'veteran' title to themselves when they think it applies to them. :)

Some folks are not yet in their 'element' at 5 cruises but others are perfectly comfortable at 2 cruises. :)

I felt like a veteran after about 10 years. That was after taking five cruises on three different cruise lines. We now take two cruises a year. We generally stick with Princess, but have sailed on Celebrity, HAL, and Carnival in the past three years.

On your 3rd cruise ...

Indeed!

I did Costa Riviera in 1985 (my first cruise), Home Line's Atlantic in 1987, and then my third was QE2 in 1992. I went to their fabulous library and picked up a copy of John Maxtone Graham's "The only way to cross", and read it over the next five days, and was enthralled.

Last night of the cruise we hit a rock when departing Martha's Vineyard, which made national head lines. I was hooked, and considered myself a veteran at that point. 41 cruises later... ;)

On my first few cruises, I picked all my excursions from the cruise line listings. I researched CRUISING (in general) and the SHIP, but not the islands I was visiting. I'd just look at the cruise line excursions and say, "Oh...that sounds like fun."

I'm still not sure I'd consider myself a veteran, but I'm a lot more savvy now. I own a STACK of guide books and thoroughly research every port of call. When I get off the ship, I already know taxi fares, ferry schedules, the "must do/see" things at that port...even the name of the local beer!!

I think you begin to feel more like a veteran when you start taking control of your vacation. A lot of people love cruising because you CAN let the cruise line do most of the work for you. There's nothing wrong with that. But I like to try to get the MOST out of each port of call. (Afterall, we're only there for 8 hours or so.) It's important to me to do my homework. Besides, it lets me live my vacation in my imagination, MONTHS before embarkation day!!

I felt like a cruise veteran after my first cruise over 20 years ago. In my mind, if you can answer the following, you are a cruise veteran in my mind:

1. Do you know what cruise docs are? Do you get excited when you receive them? (OK, even the e-docs excite me now).

2. Do you know what tendering is?

3. Do you call it a "ship" rather than a "boat"?

4. Do you get excited at the thought of a cruise?

5. Do you know the difference between the Main Dining Room (MDR) and the buffet?

6. Do you know what a shore excursion is?

7. Can you say you went to sleep in one country and woke up in another?

8. Do you know it's almost always faster to take the stairs thant he elevator?

If you can answer yes to most of these questions, you're probably a cruise veteran. :)

I felt like a cruise veteran after my first cruise over 20 years ago. In my mind, if you can answer the following, you are a cruise veteran in my mind:

1. Do you know what cruise docs are? Do you get excited when you receive them? (OK, even the e-docs excite me now).

5. Do you know the difference between the Main Dining Room (MDR) and the buffet?

If you can answer yes to most of these questions, you're probably a cruise veteran. :)

I like this one!

I answered "YES" to all 8 questions! Woo-hoo, I'm a cruise veteran! :D

I think that's a great list of ways to see if you're a veteran of cruising, in general. However, there's also being a veteran of cruising on a particular line. And for that, I wouldn't call anyone a "true" veteran until they've sailed at least one ship in every class of ship that the line offers. Thus, by that measure, I've got a long way to go.

My late Dh and I had 8 cruises in 6 yrs. before he passed away. I am less than 2 wks from going on the 6th one without him. I have done 2 with his sister and almost 4 with other friends. I don't know exactly when it happened that I felt like a veteran. Possibly on our 7th cruise (Mexican Riviera). We were in the elevator with all our luggage going to the hotel lobby in San Diego to take the shuttle to the ship at 11 AM. A man was there with us and asked us where we were going. We said we were going to the ship. He said, "But my wife said we couldn't board till after 2!" I said, "The rooms won't be ready till 1 or 2, but you can still board and have lunch at the buffet and do some exploring before that." He said, "How do you KNOW that"? I smiled and said, "This is our 7th cruise and we've done it before." He went right back up to tell his wife, lol.

The friends and my SIL who have cruised with me have been total or almost total newbies and I have had to be the "expert". I plan, organize, do what needs to be done on the computer--book excursions, on-line ship and airline check-ins. I print out everything they will need, lead them to cabs when necessary, change dining time to Main Seating when it gets screwed up. Pretty much everything--definitely veteran status in their eyes. They actually think I'm a computer whiz, lol. It's been very empowering for me to be the leader now that DH is not here. But he's the one who got us started cruising, so I thank him daily and know that he is smiling down on me.

1/02 Explorer OS E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure OS S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy PC 6/06 Jewel OS Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

2/12 Summit S. Carib 8/12 Millenium Alaska cruise/tour 2/13 Summit S. Carib.

My late Dh and I had 8 cruises in 6 yrs. before he passed away. I am less than 2 wks from going on the 6th one without him. I have done 2 with his sister and almost 4 with other friends. I don't know exactly when it happened that I felt like a veteran. Possibly on our 7th cruise (Mexican Riviera). We were in the elevator with all our luggage going to the hotel lobby in San Diego to take the shuttle to the ship at 11 AM. A man was there with us and asked us where we were going. We said we were going to the ship. He said, "But my wife said we couldn't board till after 2!" I said, "The rooms won't be ready till 1 or 2, but you can still board and have lunch at the buffet and do some exploring before that." He said, "How do you KNOW that"? I smiled and said, "This is our 7th cruise and we've done it before." He went right back up to tell his wife, lol.

The friends and my SIL who have cruised with me have been total or almost total newbies and I have had to be the "expert". I plan, organize, do what needs to be done on the computer--book excursions, on-line ship and airline check-ins. I print out everything they will need, lead them to cabs when necessary, change dining time to Main Seating when it gets screwed up. Pretty much everything--definitely veteran status in their eyes. They actually think I'm a computer whiz, lol. It's been very empowering for me to be the leader now that DH is not here. But he's the one who got us started cruising, so I thank him daily and know that he is smiling down on me.

1/02 Explorer OS E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure OS S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy PC 6/06 Jewel OS Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

2/12 Summit S. Carib 8/12 Millenium Alaska cruise/tour 2/13 Summit S. Carib.

Wow, what a nice story which was an answer to my question. You sound like a great travel partner for your family. It also made me smile to know that you have continued traveling after your husband passed away. How wonderful that he left you with the gift of many lovely memories as you continue to enjoy the cruise life.

Archived