On Zaandam Oct 9-23rd

canadianbear

Just using some wifi while in port in LA-excuse any typing or spelling mistakes or errors!

Day 1-embarkation in Vancouver

Beautiful day to sail out of Vancouver-skies cleared up in the afternoon and was nice and warm. Embarkation was smooth (we were the only ship in) and although we were told we could eat in the dining room we chose to have lunch at the Lido. As usual the first 48 hours we are served which doesn't bother me at all. Our rooms were ready and luggage in our room after we finished lunch.

The mandatory drill went fairly smooth other than late comers. Our Captain is Andre Van Schoonhoven and he announced we would be leaving 20 minutes early! We chose to be up on deck 8 starboard side for the sail away and love going past Stanley Park, under the Lion's Gate Bridge and waving at family who were at Ambleside Park. Part of the deck is blocked off because of storing the carpeting which is going to be replaced during this cruise. They are starting it even before we get to PV.

We enjoyed the Bon Voyage music by Barbi and the HALCats while sipping our drinks poolside. It did start to get a bit chilly and the roof over the pool was closed soon after.

There are 6 of us traveling together and we do not have set dining. We had no problem just walking in and being seated right away at 6pm. Show time was at 9:30 tonight in the Mondriaan Lounge and was the Welcome Aboard show.

Day 2-sea day; informal M&G; formal night

Not many CC'ers signed up on our roll call so we just met in the morning today in the Crow's Nest. Always nice to put faces to names.

I spent several hours on our balcony today as I found it quite mild out but did have on my jacket and a small blanket. I just find it so peaceful sitting there. (We are in cabin 6179)

Tonight our group of 6 had reservations and our table was by a window. Our service was very good except when we were trying to find the wine steward when we ran out of wine!

The Captain's welcome toast followed dinner and then the Stander Dance Duo performed. (ballroom dancers). Off to the Crow's Nest after that for some 50's and 60's night with cruise director Michael.

Day 3-sea day

Atrium carpeting is all done and they now have the mid ship stairs being done so several decks are blocked off. They sure work fast though.

A few in our group have been going to the "tech" classes which are very well attended and informative and still free!

I also had reserved the ipod for the walking art tour for today. It was interesting seeing so many musical instruments being used as art around the Zaandam.

Some of what I saw included the saxaphone signed by Bill Clinton; guitars signed by Iggi Pop, Queen, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones; ship models; the great organ in the Atrium (my favorite) which sounds on sea days several times a day; stunning paintings including several by Captain Steven J Card.

Dinner tonight was again in the main dining room and we totally confused our poor waiter with our orders but it all worked out and we had some laughs. We are never in a hurry and dinners have been great.

Off to the 8 pm show which was Love Songs from Broadway then to happy hour in the Ocean Bar listening to The Neptunes.

Day 4-Los Angeles 7-4

We did not sign up for any excursion today so just using wifi and then off for a walk. Not sure when I will get wifi again but wanted to let people know that the Zaandam is looking just fine and getting all prettied up with new carpeting which so far looks great too!

We have excursions planned for Cabo and PV.

We're scheduled to board the Zaandam next month for Hawaii. :D

Thanks so much for the 'live from' thread - we've been hearing horror stories about flooding on the Dolphin and Main decks, cold food in the MDR, freezing on the ship in public areas, etc.

It's so good to see that you haven't reported any of that stuff yet. I hope that means that it's simply not happening.

Hope the rest of your cruise goes as well as it started! I'm sure many from our roll call will subscribe to your thread too and eagerly await each new installment.

Happy Sails!

Ola! Thanks for checking in. Glad you are not experiencing water leaks, sewar smells and a rude Hotel Manager, Edwin Brunink, as reported. Was pleased to see sun come out finally for your sailaway. Did Capt. Andre Van Schoonhoven give several toots of the ships horn as you sailed under the Lions Gate Bridge. He did on my curise this past May/June. If you have a chance, Say hello to the Capt. (who has a no nonsense attitude which I admire) from the lady who wanted to sail past Bella Bella. I'm sure he will remember me. If you can will you take a picture of new carpeting. I'm looking forward to being back onboard next April. Enjoy the Mexican sun & warm weather & comp excursion in PV & excursion in Cabo. Rain has set in in Vancouver and appears to be here for several days. Once again, wish I was onboard.:D

I'm so glad you're writing a review Marion! Been thinking of you especially after reading a bad review of the Zaandam. Hope all is good, and if you meet another Annette - she's my buddy! I have so many friends on this cruise, I am so jealous:o:(

Looking forward to the next installment:)

I took my break at work a little later than usual, after 4:00pm, and went down to Sunset Beach, which is about 20 minutes walking distance away from English Bay. I thought I saw a cruise ship in the distance, and realized it was the Zaandam sailing away early, just passing the English Bay area after going underneath the Lions Gate Bridge. I watched it until I couldn't see the ship anymore, and thought of all the happy people onboard, just starting their cruise.

Day 1-embarkation in Vancouver

Day 2-sea day; informal M&G; formal night

Day 3-sea day

Day 4-Los Angeles 7-4

Canadianbear,

Could you please post your entire itinerary? I am the one who does the "Where's Fleet Locations" and I do not have an updated itinerary for the Zaandam.

Thanks,

David

Thank you for updating us all on the work being done on the Zaandam. It is great to hear you are enjoying the food in the MDR. We are booked on our first HAL cruise on the Zaandam in June 2013 and are thrilled to hear good news after the not so good reviews posted recently.

8090378031_57ab3158bc_b.jpg

Here is a photo from sailaway.

Day Date Itinerary Arrival Departure

Tues Oct 9 Vancouver, BC 4:00pm

Wed Oct 10 Sea

Thur Oct 11 Sea

Fri Oct 12 Los Angeles, CA 7:00am 4:00pm

Sat Oct 13 Sea

Sun Oct 14 Cabo San Lucas, MX 11:00am 6:00pm

Mon Oct 15 Puerto Vallarta, MX 12:00noon

Tues Oct 16 Puerto Vallarta, MX

Wed Oct 17 Puerto Vallarta, MX 4:00pm

Thur Oct 18 Sea

Fri Oct 19 San Diego, CA 10:00am 11:59pm

Sat Oct 20 Sea

Sun Oct 21 San Francisco, CA 8:00am 4:00pm

Mon Oct 22 Sea

Tues Oct 23 Vancouver, BC 12:00noon

Please keep those updates coming!

I'm on Zaandam from San Diego Dec. 1 and currently booked oceanview on Dolphin deck so I'm quite concerned about the leaks and other hardships detailed by other recent reviewers. If this is still an issue I'll be calling and demanding to be moved to a higher deck :(

Thanks for the review and hope you enjoy PV!

Please keep those updates coming!

I'm on Zaandam from San Diego Dec. 1 and currently booked oceanview on Dolphin deck so I'm quite concerned about the leaks and other hardships detailed by other recent reviewers. If this is still an issue I'll be calling and demanding to be moved to a higher deck :(

Thanks for the review and hope you enjoy PV!

With all due respect, could you explain what makes you think a higher deck will solve the problem of floods?

Any area of any ship on any cruise line can have pipe leaks. The interiors of ships are completly crisscrossed with piping. This is going to happen, period, at some time or another. On the last Zaandam cruise it has been reported that there was a pipe leak on the first two decks forward. You can be sure this was fixed pronto.

The next leak may occur tomorrow, next month, next year. Maybe this time on deck 3, who knows, or 7 or 8. Really this is not something you can plan, unfortunate as that may be.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and do not encounter any problems!!

8090378031_57ab3158bc_b.jpg

Here is a photo from sailaway.

Day Date Itinerary Arrival Departure

Tues Oct 9 Vancouver, BC 4:00pm

Wed Oct 10 Sea

Thur Oct 11 Sea

Fri Oct 12 Los Angeles, CA 7:00am 4:00pm

Sat Oct 13 Sea

Sun Oct 14 Cabo San Lucas, MX 11:00am 6:00pm

Mon Oct 15 Puerto Vallarta, MX 12:00noon

Tues Oct 16 Puerto Vallarta, MX

Wed Oct 17 Puerto Vallarta, MX 4:00pm

Thur Oct 18 Sea

Fri Oct 19 San Diego, CA 10:00am 11:59pm

Sat Oct 20 Sea

Sun Oct 21 San Francisco, CA 8:00am 4:00pm

Mon Oct 22 Sea

Tues Oct 23 Vancouver, BC 12:00noon

What an interesting itinerary. Beautiful photo of the Zaandam, thanks for posting it.

Archived