On Zaandam Oct 9-23rd

canadianbear

With all due respect, could you explain what makes you think a higher deck will solve the problem of floods?

Any area of any ship on any cruise line can have pipe leaks. The interiors of ships are completly crisscrossed with piping. This is going to happen, period, at some time or another. On the last Zaandam cruise it has been reported that there was a pipe leak on the first two decks forward. You can be sure this was fixed pronto.

The next leak may occur tomorrow, next month, next year. Maybe this time on deck 3, who knows, or 7 or 8. Really this is not something you can plan, unfortunate as that may be.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and do not encounter any problems!!

Sorry that may have sounded a bit dense/naive/ignorant but I'm certainly not. I'm an engineer and have owned old homes and boats so I am fully aware these issues arise. I always try to take the reviews on here with a grain of salt as they say.

That being said several reviews from last month indicated ongoing flooding issues on Dolphin deck and Main deck which are two of the lowest decks on the ship and naturally being at the bottom they would be impacted by any water leaks nearby or anywhere above them.

My real concern is this indicative of long overdue major maintenance on an old ship or as you say just those unfortunate random situations. I'm sure the situation was compounded on those cruises due to the many sea days on those itineraries to Hawaii.

Thanks for your comments and yes I certainly look forward to a relaxing cruise but I like to stay informed of situations which could potentially derail that as well.

Thanks. Do you know when it (or if) it is rescheduled?

No word on rescheduling. We minions, the paying pax, were given no reason for no dry dock this year. However they are currently doing a lot of new carpeting while in Peurto Vallarta. Also hope they are able to correct the bad issue of sewar smell. Can't handle that stink any better than entering an elevator after some one has passed gas. If I have a long way to travel I won't get on - hate for someone to think I did it.;)

She looks like a great ship, I will be doing a tour of her on Oct 21st. Can't wait to see what she looks like. If anyone is interested I will take photos and will post.

Great of you to offer to take photos! If you find the new carpeting, it would be interesting to see. Love to revisit this beautiful ship.

She looks like a great ship, I will be doing a tour of her on Oct 21st. Can't wait to see what she looks like. If anyone is interested I will take photos and will post.

Am very famiiar with the Zaandam. Spent 14 days on her earlier this year. Love the size of the ship & cabins. Would love to see photos of new carpeting, please. Enjoy your tour & possible lunch.:)

Great of you to offer to take photos! If you find the new carpeting, it would be interesting to see. Love to revisit this beautiful ship.

Can someone let me know what the old carpet looked like? That will be the only way I know it was changed. What was the old color? Any other requests? I will do my best.

Can someone let me know what the old carpet looked like? That will be the only way I know it was changed. What was the old color? Any other requests? I will do my best.

Perhaps you can get some updated cabin photos or #7083? The ones I find are pretty grainy and difficult to see. Thanks!

Perhaps you can get some updated cabin photos or #7083? The ones I find are pretty grainy and difficult to see. Thanks!

I will do my best for cabin photos. I have no idea if they will show them as when you get on board the cabin stewards are usually cleaning. What deck is that cabin on? Inside , balcony? Don't think they would let me near any suites..:D

The old carpet was mostly red but looked like it had either been stained or excessively strong cleaning agents had been used on it. It was always clean but never looked clean:carpet.jpg

Roy

The old carpet was mostly red but looked like it had either been stained or excessively strong cleaning agents had been used on it. It was always clean but never looked clean:carpet.jpg

Roy

Thanks, your asking the right person. We are in the carpet cleaning business.

I will do my best for cabin photos. I have no idea if they will show them as when you get on board the cabin stewards are usually cleaning. What deck is that cabin on? Inside , balcony? Don't think they would let me near any suites..:D

The cabin is on Deck 7 all the way aft - oceanview. That would be great if you can get a photo or two of this cabin:)

Hi everyone! I'm paying for wifi again so can't read everyones posts until I get back but TROPHY thanks for that beautiful photo of the sailaway and posting the itinerary.

Day 4 LA continued-

There are a lot of upset people because we were told there is a red bus for $1 but the staff on shore did not know if it would show up on time or at noon. Seemed very disorganized guess they didn't really have much for us unless you took a ship excursion.

We just walked around that day. It was beautiful and warm for the sail away time although they said there were still about 30 people missing but hopefully they all arrived by the time we left!

Did the Canaletto tonight and wow-was it quiet in there. Not sure if that is because of the $10 charge now or not but one of the couples with us has never been on HAL before so we want to try most everything. Our meal was great. They also allowed for a little extra for no charge (one fellow we are with is 6'8" and my hubby is 6'4" so they gave them just a bit more meat!)

We have been doing happy hour from 9-10 in the Ocean Bar listening to the Neptunes and then going to the shows. Tonight ws Alfreda Gerald-a Tribute to the Divas. She has a spectacular voice. Clocks moved ahead tonight.

Day 5-sea day

Our room stewards are Dani and Henri-both are amazing just like any other room steward we have had. They just seem to know when we are out of our room and fix it all up.

They started working on the carpet replacement on the aft landings and stairwell carpets on deck 7,8, 9 last night. the midship elevator landings and stairwell carpet replacement is all done and looks really good-I will post a photo when I get home. It has been a bit disruptive but the final outcome is well worth it.

Show time tonight was ventriloquist Ronn Lucas-he was hilarious!

Day 6-Cabo San Lucas 11-6

We arrived to a cloudy but warm 89 degrees. Tendered into Cabo went smoothly although you had to be careful as it was a bit choppy. We did the Lands End Boat tour which was a 45 minute catamar sail around Los Arcos.

Entertainment tonight was the Zaandam singers and dancers in a tribule to Southern Nights. we enjoyed their show.

Day 7-Puerta Vallarta overnight

Due to the hydraulic problem last night we were 4 hours late getting into PV today and arrived at 4pm to thunder, lightening and rain! Atrium deck 5 stairs/area blocked off due to the re-carpeting.

Day 8-PV

Beautiful sunny day today. We did the free HAL excursion Two if by Sea-"Yelapa and Majahuitas. Beautiful catamaran ride and snorkel. Staff aboard were fantastic. I got some fun underwater shots with our new camera.

Running out of minutes now but we were supposed to have left PV at 4AM but are still here. They say we might leaving at noon. Hmmm..

We don't care-we are on a "cruise to nowhere" in our opinion because we just want to be on a DAM ship. Having a lot of fun!

Oh...San Pedro is where we docked in LA. The Captain did honk several times as we left Vancouver-can't remember any other questions and have to get off wifi as my time is up!

Quote:

There are a lot of upset people because we were told there is a red bus for $1 but the staff on shore did not know if it would show up on time or at noon. Seemed very disorganized guess they didn't really have much for us unless you took a ship excursion.

The Red bus is only available at the Long Beach berth that is used by Carnival. It's a shame that it isn't available in San Pedro because it is very handy.

Glad you are enjoying your cruise.

So glad you're having a good time.... and so jealous:o If only HAL would offer this itinerary every year, or at least once more:)

I agree! We would have done this cruise as a back-to-back with the Septmber 23 Hawaii if it hadn't been for a family occasion we had to attend.

What is worse is that the annual Hawaii return Vancouver is being dropped after the April 2013 cruise. I guess this means only Alaska for Vancouver return then. Not happy about this and wonder why the change.

I agree! We would have done this cruise as a back-to-back with the Septmber 23 Hawaii if it hadn't been for a family occasion we had to attend.

What is worse is that the annual Hawaii return Vancouver is being dropped after the April 2013 cruise. I guess this means only Alaska for Vancouver return then. Not happy about this and wonder why the change.

I agree, and it seems like an odd decision given that all the R/T Vancouver cruises sell out quickly.

Hi everyone! I'm paying for wifi again so can't read everyones posts until I get back but TROPHY thanks for that beautiful photo of the sailaway and posting the itinerary.

Show time tonight was ventriloquist Ronn Lucas-he was hilarious!

I am on the cruise right after your return to Vancouver. You are so lucky to Ronn Lucas on board. I have been a fan of his since his Scortch days. Sure hope he is entertaining for us on the f 4 day cruise.

Renee

Archived