A Grouch Does the Prinsendam – Live

whogo

October 31, 2012 Announcements, announcements, announcements. That is my first impression of the Prinsendam. Ship tour at 1:00, smooth sailing at 2:00, emergency drill at 4:15, ship tour at 3:00, emergency drill at 4:15. Carlos, the cruise director, speaks... very slowly... for those that... are hard of hearing... or have difficulties... processing language... or are kindergartners.

We will see if I can do a “live from” report. Future posts depend on my mood and how my internet minutes hold up. If you are looking for flowery prose or great literature you should stop reading now. I have never had a bad cruise, expect this one to be great, but will not gloss over any snags that may develop. My experiences on board will be different from everyone else's, including my wife's.

We arrived at Civitavecchia in pouring rain and it has not let up. Embarkation took as long as it takes to fill in the health form. The emergency drill was held outside in the rain, we lucked into the dry, lee side. I am delighted with our cabin. Big walk in closet, big bathroom with tub, plenty of room, and a balcony. The thermostat is holding a uniform 69 degrees and the refrigerator that I do not expect to use is at 50 degrees. Yes, I brought thermometers.

My cabin steward is eavesdropping on us. I am not paranoid. I no more than mentioned that the closet light did not work than our steward introduced himself and showed us how the master switch had to be on to light the closet. I am not paranoid.

Showed up for team trivia at 6:00 and there was no cruise staff. Checked for tai chi and there was no lifestylist. No champagne and raffle at the shops. Announcements, announcements, announcements and no mention of changes to the daily program. Maybe they gave everyone else a different daily program. I am not paranoid and wish everyone would quit saying that I am.

Dinner was a smashing success with three other couples. Service was attentive, the mussel appetizer was absolutely delicious, and the prime rib was cooked just the way I like it. I did not need the sales pitch to buy triple filtered water for $2 and was disappointed to see a dollar sign next to a dessert menu item. I am calming down from the hustle and bustle of Rome. It is going to be a great cruise.

Our itinerary:

Day Ports of Call Arrival Departure

1 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy --- 7:00 p.m.

2 At Sea --- ---

3 Alicante, Spain 8:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

4 Malaga, Spain 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.

5 Cadiz (Seville), Spain 7:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

6 Cruise Tagus River --- ---

6 Lisbon, Portugal 11:00 a.m. 11:00 p.m.

7 At Sea --- ---

8 At Sea --- ---

9 Horta, Azores 7:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

10 At Sea --- ---

11 At Sea --- ---

12 At Sea --- ---

13 At Sea --- ---

14 At Sea --- ---

15 At Sea --- ---

16 Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida 7:00 a.m. ---

I am looking forward to your live from thread when and if you have time and when and if the internet holds up (trust me - I get that part).

don't worry about flowery prose - not the same cruise director we had - but I highly suspect the announcements should tone down. I remember we had a few on boarding day but then there was a significant difference on day 2.

I hope you enjoy the Elegant Explorer and have fun. Many of the rooms on this ship are a treat - I am glad you got one:D

smooth seas and have fun - looking forward to your impressions:)

sorry I forgot to say the cabin stewards we had on this cruise were the best we have ever seen - they are nearly intuitive - I don't think they eavesdrop but they do show you how things work. If you want ice at x time, ask and I am sure it will be there every day (at least, it was for us). Bon Voyage

Showed up for team trivia at 6:00 and there was no cruise staff. Checked for tai chi and there was no lifestylist. No champagne and raffle at the shops. Announcements, announcements, announcements and no mention of changes to the daily program. Maybe they gave everyone else a different daily program. I am not paranoid and wish everyone would quit saying that I am.

Gosh, not a very promising start. Maybe they just 'beam' the announcements for stuff you DON'T want to do directly at you, and the ones announcing the changes for what you DO want to do are beamed overboard?

...and was disappointed to see a dollar sign next to a dessert menu item. I am calming down from the hustle and bustle of Rome. It is going to be a great cruise.

A dollar sign? I'm hoping maybe it was supposed to be a 'heart friendly' sign or something like that and it was a typo.

Oh, and you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you... or your money at least. :p

You're off to a good start, being on the lee side during drill shows that. :) They put the really paranoid people on the windward or sunny side and hope they are the same. Drills are longer depending on the temperature, hot enough to have a few collapse and drills last that long. :rolleyes:

Have a great cruise! :cool:

When you start to hear the voices, you'll know you have full-blown paranoia.... on hang on, you are hearing the voices. Announcements announcements announcement:eek::eek::D Oh well, just let it happen and enjoy the cruise.

looking forward to the next installment.

Carlos. That may well be our CD on the Veendam in May. He was a tad "over

The top"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh yeah! As soon as I read the name Carlos as the CD I wondered if it was the same CD that we had to endure on a previous Veendam cruise.

I was on the Veendam last year, and that was our feeling also.

Does HAL have any good CD's left? fi there are and they are not on the Prinsendam - then they are missing the boat!!!

We had MIss "toddleedoo" (which was driving me nuts) - I don't get it -

I'lll wait for your further reprorts- for what it's worth - the back up staff they had last year were outstanding

Archived