UNHAPPY! and we haven't even left yet!

ilovhywd

Our upcoming cruise is our first with Oceania. Hopefully some experienced Oceania cruisers can respond to this issue. (JimandStan ??)

We booked a PH3 category a year ago and paid regular price less a small discount.

Now, it has come to our attention that Oceania is offering upsells to passengers in lower categories to move to unsold penthouses for approximately $16 per day per person. This results in a price differential of $2,600 for the same accommodations! In addition, some of them have paid gratuities, increasing the difference to more than $3,000.

Our travel agent called her rep at Oceania, and all they offered us was the same penthouse one deck up. This was not acceptable to us, as we are happy with the cabin location that we already have. We are looking for some sort of shipboard credit to compensate us for feeling that we have been ripped off.

Are we being unreasonable or is Oceania's policy unconscionable?

It's the nature of the industry - and not just cruising. If you've ever flown coach and been upgraded to business class because the economy section was oversold, should all the people in business class get something special? You paid what you paid to be happy with the cabin location that you are in, as did everyone else that booked your category. Those people getting the upsell opportunity had no guarantee that it was going to happen. It could have just as easily been your category that was oversold, and you getting the $16/day upgrade to the next category higher, when I suspect the topic you started would've had a much happier ring to it. :)

Our upcoming cruise is our first with Oceania. Hopefully some experienced Oceania cruisers can respond to this issue. (JimandStan ??)

We booked a PH3 category a year ago and paid regular price less a small discount.

Now, it has come to our attention that Oceania is offering upsells to passengers in lower categories to move to unsold penthouses for approximately $16 per day per person. This results in a price differential of $2,600 for the same accommodations! In addition, some of them have paid gratuities, increasing the difference to more than $3,000.

Our travel agent called her rep at Oceania, and all they offered us was the same penthouse one deck up. This was not acceptable to us, as we are happy with the cabin location that we already have. We are looking for some sort of shipboard credit to compensate us for feeling that we have been ripped off.

Are we being unreasonable or is Oceania's policy unconscionable?

You chose the cabin you wanted and you are happy with it..you could have booked a lower cabin and taken a chance on getting an upgrade to a cabin that MAY have been acceptable..this has always been Oceanias practice to fill the top categories close to departure..so in this case you are being unreasonable to expect anything in return for getting the cabin you wanted!!!

Jancruz1

You buy what you can afford and want and arte happy with it. How many times have you bought something and the nest week it goes on sale? For me lots over the years.

Look at the airlines... sitting in coach in the same row, fares can range from $300 to $900 for the same seat same flight !

Oceania is being totaly fair... they you offered you a more expensive cabin did they not? It was just not as expensive as you thought it should be.

Moral to me: buy what you want at a price you think good and dont constantly compare ..... its only a road to frustration. You bought what to you was a good price... no one held a gun to your head. Its your decision alone.

I agree with everyone has said here: this is not an unreasonable or underhanded practice. We all have the choice of booking lower cabins and hoping for cheap upgrades. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

Those "other people" aren't even being upgraded, they are being UPSOLD, so the Original Poster is being completely unreasonable.

Asking what your fellow passengers have paid for their cruise, is akin to asking coworkers what their salary is:

A) They will often "bend the truth" to impress you.

B) It's almost guaranteed to breed resentment.

C) Without knowing all the facts, it is impossible to compare apples to apples.

Why do it to yourself?

Pay what you think is fair, and don't worry about the other fellow-

Sorry, but I believe the response has been 100% so far that you are expecting something unreasonable. Add my vote to that list.

If your TA gave you this information, what were they thinking? As others have stated, this is only a lead-in to frustration and unhappiness. Why would a TA do this to a client?

Hello,

1st I am sorry that you are unhappy. You will love the sailing on Oceania, the food and service is really top-notch.

2nd those who are offered upsells can not have your PH! You have the room you wanted.

Did you want the room that is closest to the elevator and may have higher traffic in the area? Did you want a PH on eleven with a possible shade issue? Did you want the bow view to watch the ship cut through the waves? Or maybe an aft view to watch the relaxing views of the wake? Were you able to utilize the perk of early bookings for the specialty restaurants?

Those with an upsell offer really don't have what you have at a lesser price. They will have a very limited number of cabins to choose from.

I hope that you can enjoy your cruise and maybe in the future you may get a fantastic offer to upgrade to an Oceania Suite;)

If you are interested in an upsell be sure to notify your TA.

I hear what you all are saying, and I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I now understand how Oceania's system works. In 40 years of cruising, we have never run across such a large disparity in fares.

Thank you, Dundeene, for your kind words. We have heard wonderful things about Oceania, and I am sure we will enjoy the cruise.

Shame on you Hawaiidan for your snide comment. If you read my original post, we were not looking for an upgrade, only a token shipboard credit. We are very happy with our assigned cabin.

I do want to add that the amount of $16.00 per person/per day sounds like it may need clarification.

I would question whether that may be an upgrade offer within the PH category. For instance the "same PH cabin one floor up" you mention.

My experience would suggest an upgrade from another category (concierge, veranda etc) to PH is more likely to be @$1000+.

I also know of many cruisers who love to suggest that they are able to get the "best deals" vs. everyone else. Past experience tells me that these people are willing to exaggerate their savings (sometimes greatly) in order to get attention.

Enjoy your cruise with these few hints:

The butler knows his job and wants to please the customer, you are not "bothering" him! If you would like an extra reservation at one of the specialty restaurants he is likely to arrange it. If not he can serve you from any of the restaurants in your suite.

The spa deck is relaxing and beautiful, the heated loungers, sauna, relaxation room, whirlpools etc. are open to concierge and higher.

Go to the meet and greet and meet many of your fellow cruisers.

Be active on your roll-call. Make friends and arrange tours etc. with like-minded cruisers.

Try many dishes. Ask your waiter to bring them in an appetizer portion.

Don't skip dessert! Use the stairs instead of the elevator if you are healthy and mobile. Or try out the gym. (very clean and up-to-date)

In the main dining-room ask for a table at sunset with a wake view! Breathtaking!!!!

Eat outside at the terrace for lunch or dinner at least once.:)

Take a walking tour of the ship and enjoy the wide variety of modern art.

Don't skip dessert! Use the elevator instead of the stairs if you are healthy and mobile. Or try out the gym. (very clean and up-to-date).

I suspect you meant use the stairs instead of the elevator????

Mura

We have booked an Oceania suite for our next cruise. And are delighted with OUR decision to do so. Were I to hear that the person in the next suite got a better deal I would say "good for him!" And certainly neither start whining about what I didn't have .

I think you are being unrealistic to expect anything from Oceania... At all. You made your choice.

I am sure you will have a great cruise!!

Thanks!

I am multitasking today, grandson and puppy at my ankles as I try to start some of my Thanksgiving baking and checking my favorite blogs/websites . Fifty-seven for dinner on Thanksgiving:D

I jumped online between taking the cheesecake and pumpkin-cake-roll out of the oven. I type too fast and edit to quickly. I missed that mix-up! It is corrected now.

Sorry but yes you are being unreasonable.

To the poster who mentioned cruisers who ask around for what others pay. I have been asked this a couple of times and think it so tacky. Most recently I was asked 'by way of introduction' during boat drill by a person standing next to me, within hours of boarding. :rolleyes:

To the poster who mentioned cruisers who ask around for what others pay. I have been asked this a couple of times and think it so tacky. Most recently I was asked 'by way of introduction' during boat drill by a person standing next to me, within hours of boarding. :rolleyes:

That IS tacky

I usually just ignore the question & change the topic

That is like asking people how much money they have :eek:

Lyn

We have had this opportunity three times on "O".... from a veranda to a PH....and it has been for additional $$$...and we have taken that option twice....never thinking we would have that option based on our 1st booking....we are happy when we are presented the offer...and accept if we think the amount to pay is reasonable for the upgrade...and have turned it down when we didn't think so! Book what you want...and then...if something opens up and you are offered it...make your decision....IMO LuAnn

Its not like this situation is unique to cruises either. Every vacation you book people are paying different fares for the same thing. Airfare, tours, hotels, etc, etc.

Just think that you got a guaranteed penthouse *and* you got to pick the location. If you're being upsold it might never happen and you get stuck with the left over room nobody else wanted. I know I've been upgraded a few times on other lines and wish I stuck with the original room due to location.

I always figure with vacation stuff its best to stick on the blinders once you've paid. Otherwise is just leads to impotent frustration.

I hear what you all are saying, and I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I now understand how Oceania's system works. In 40 years of cruising, we have never run across such a large disparity in fares.

quote]

Glad CC was able to help you understand our point of view. Hope, once aboard, you enjoy O as much as the rest of us!

:)

I think that many of you are being a little harsh in response to the complaints of the original poster. Some luxury cruise lines leave the penthouses empty unless passengers are willing to pay full price for an upgrade. Also some other luxury lines lower previously booked fares to match recent promotional fares. I do not find it unreasonable that the poster is unhappy with the situation.

I think that many of you are being a little harsh in response to the complaints of the original poster. Some luxury cruise lines leave the penthouses empty unless passengers are willing to pay full price for an upgrade. Also some other luxury lines lower previously booked fares to match recent promotional fares. I do not find it unreasonable that the poster is unhappy with the situation.

I think you are in the minority here Danny

I agree with the previous posters that did not agree with your assesment of Oceania's way of filling their cabins. I believe you should get a new travel agent that would have given you more perks at booking.

Archived