Lesson Learned

phinn

Just got off the Celebrity Connie's 2 night sailing and wanted to share an experience that went wrong for us so that others will avoid the same. DD and I went on this quick getaway excited that we were having a family suite aft, our first aft cabin. We were among the many guests who did not get our request for luggage tags in early enough so we headed to the port a bit early and presented our two bags to the porter. We told him our cabin number as well as showing him our paperwork with the mock luggage tag. He promptly wrote up two tickets, tagged our luggage and we were off. By 5pm we realized we still hadn't received our luggage and inquired of it's whereabouts. Our room attendant and his assistant said they would look for it. After an hour, we went down to the guests relations where a gentleman took our information and said that the ship would do a floor to floor search and failing that, a room to room search. Now we were getting a bit concerned. Surely they would find our luggage. By 6:30 we still had no luck and headed back down to guest relations. Another gentleman told us the worse case scenario would be that it would be in another room and they were now conducting a room to room search. I now had some real concerns. Were they still at the port? Are they on another ship? Our thoughts were all over the place. He was asking us questions such as did the porter have a uniform on? Heck, we were in cruise mode, did we really notice? He had luggage tags to fill out, we didn't even concern ourselves with that. By 7:30 we headed for dinner totally bummed out. We really didn't finish our meal even though wait staff tried so hard to cheer us up. Back in our room by 8:45, we were obviously disappointed it had not made it to our room. A few minutes after 9pm, a knock on the door pulled our hopes up. When I opened the door, our room attendant was there with our luggage! It took a few seconds for it to sink in for me that we were actually getting our luggage now. He told us the porter had transposed the room numbers on the luggage tags and they were delivered to that room. Those folks had a "Do not Disturb" sign on their door so it took that long for them to be able to inquire. LESSON LEARNED.... In the future I will NEVER take for granted what someone else does on my behalf. It would have taken a second to verify the room number on the tag to save us that grief. No luggage for 1/2 of your cruise is a real bummer, trust me. Anyway, just want to pass it because I know so many of us reach port without tags.

It's very easy to get the luggage tags unless you makes a last minute booking. Always order them and check for mistakes. If you take a flight don't attach them until after you remove you baggage tags from the airline. I usually attach two tags to each bag. I've found one tag missing more than once. I try to avoid checking baggage if possible.

Glad you got you luggage, some aren't so lucky. Hope you had a good cruise.

Thanks for the gentle reminder! (sent your reminder to my kids how haven't even got their online check-in stuff started - 4weeks out!)

Each of us is resonsible for getting our stuff together prior to the cruise! It never ceases to amaze me how there seems to always be some thread about a missing passport, incorrect information on the booking, etc. "Help me, help me, what am I to do???? Will they make an exception for me if I forgot to get those visas???". Please double check things when you make the reservation and in the weeks prior to your cruise. Start getting things together a few weeks in advance. Put stuff you don't always use, but will need for the trip (like your passport), in your luggage or in a place where you can find it.

But, even with the most stringent rules, things can go wrong. There's a thread out there about two ships being in port at the same time/leaving the same day and the porters got some of the luggage racks confused and put some luggage on a totally different ship! Imagine that?

Just remember that it is a vacation. Roll with the waves (easy for me to say, huh?) To the OP, glad things turned out ok for you and I really did mean it when I said thanks for the reminder.....if you save one person from going through what you had to endure, it was worth it!

We were just talking about luggage and porters......do you get anything for the porters as to how many bags you give them? How do you know if they get lost who took them and how does the cruise line know how many bags you gave the porter?

No, you don't get anything from the porters.

The cruise line knows how many bags because you tell them if any are missing.

As the OP says, always check that the porters have written the correct cabin number ( and ship, if there is more than one in port) on the tags they attach to your bags.

I don't think it's not always that easy. Celebrity's website can be really confusing and they don't just "send" cruise documents any more. I miss the good old days when we got to do the doc dance. It was one of the highlights of waiting for the cruise. My wife and I always had a party to go through all the stuff and reminisce about previous cruises and imagine what the upcoming one was going to be like. We still do that, but the ambiance is somewhat diminished.

Tom

It's very easy to get the luggage tags unless you makes a last minute booking. Always order them and check for mistakes. If you take a flight don't attach them until after you remove you baggage tags from the airline. I usually attach two tags to each bag. I've found one tag missing more than once. I try to avoid checking baggage if possible.

This is my first time cruising ...how and where do you order the tags??

On the one occasion where we used a lazy and/or incompetent travel agent who said she could not order luggage tags for us, I took a Sharpie pen with me and I filled out the luggage tags myself at the pier. Thus any mistake would have been mine. (This was before you could order luggage tags online.)

So if you find yourself in the position of not having luggage tags when you arrive at the pier, I would suggest this approach.

This is my first time cruising ...how and where do you order the tags??

When you do the check in online for your reservation you will see the "order luggage tags" at the end. Your check in must be complete or it will not come up. Happy sailing!

Thanks for the gentle reminder! (sent your reminder to my kids how haven't even got their online check-in stuff started - 4weeks out!)

Each of us is resonsible for getting our stuff together prior to the cruise! It never ceases to amaze me how there seems to always be some thread about a missing passport, incorrect information on the booking, etc. "Help me, help me, what am I to do???? Will they make an exception for me if I forgot to get those visas???". Please double check things when you make the reservation and in the weeks prior to your cruise. Start getting things together a few weeks in advance. Put stuff you don't always use, but will need for the trip (like your passport), in your luggage or in a place where you can find it.

But, even with the most stringent rules, things can go wrong. There's a thread out there about two ships being in port at the same time/leaving the same day and the porters got some of the luggage racks confused and put some luggage on a totally different ship! Imagine that?

Just remember that it is a vacation. Roll with the waves (easy for me to say, huh?) To the OP, glad things turned out ok for you and I really did mean it when I said thanks for the reminder.....if you save one person from going through what you had to endure, it was worth it!

This was cruise #18 for me and I learn something from every one of them. I realize mistakes happen and you are right, if I help one person avoid this scenario, it was worth repeating.

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are departing 5 April 2013. I've done online check in, but can't find where to request luggage tags? I've used Celebrity's FAQs and that doesn't help either. Is there a maximum days out that you can order luggage tags?

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are departing 5 April 2013. I've done online check in, but can't find where to request luggage tags? I've used Celebrity's FAQs and that doesn't help either. Is there a maximum days out that you can order luggage tags?

Hi:) you should receive an email that your documents are ready

and only AFTER receiving the email will the link on your reservation

show up to "order luggage tags". That is how it has always worked

for me anyway.

You are sailing April 5th? I am guessing you will receive that email

sometime next month or early March. I have always ordered them

about 6 weeks prior to the cruise.

After reading all of this stuff on the internet for many years, I wonder what do folks do who do not own a computer? As a matter of fact, I believe (although I am not certain) that they even do bar exams on computer these days. Had it been that way many years ago when I took many bar exams, I probably would not have become a trial attorney.

I always take an iphone picture of my luggage before we travel

With the tags on

So they know what they are looking for

Airline and or Cruiseline

Yes, great idea! I also did not know how to order the luggage tags as it is my first time cruising Celebrity. We also take a picture with our cell phones of where our car is parked at the airport/cruise port. Amazing what one forgets over a one week period. :D

The real porters in Miami wear a number (like a nametag), jot that down. Also, I watch to make sure the bags go to the right place--it's easy to see if you unload right at your ships terminal. This last time, the porter only needed to move the bags about 20 feet, but yes, you still need to tip.

Post got lost...hope this not a dup

DH places a large index card inside the bags with pertinent info in case tags get detached & bags are given to someone else.. We believe the ones they mail to you have less chance of coming off..

We always crosspack our clothes into each other's suitcases and stuff alot into our carryons in case that's all we have for awhile..

We have been for the most part lucky over the yrs but one time DH went on his own bag search & found our errant bag on another floor where they had piles of luggage.....

Thanks for the tip about taking a photo of the bags...

Archived