Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Well having reviewed all the latest posts, let me just give you more proof that we do tip in the UK and that we are encouraged to do so.

We went for dinner before the theatre yesterday evening and when I came to pay, the wireless payment machines most servers use these days not only asked if I wanted to add a gratuity when processing my credit card, but when I selected 'Yes' then I was prompted with 4 options.

1. 10%
  2. 15%
  3. 20%
  4. Other

So easy, no more calculating the amount due when choosing options 1, 2, or 3.

Hey, Pete. I haven't seen a machine like that, and it would certainly make it easier, especially after a bottle of wine.

You don't need to convince me. Our first cruise, we hung with a group of Brits who tipped extra with every round, and I've never even heard the nasty insinuations.

Tightwads cross all geographical boundaries. I have a few small bills in my pocket right now, in anticipation of my FIL's stingy tip at the hub's birthday dinner tonight.

Theatre ... England. One of these days I'll get there! It's been on my list since college, high school, actually. The history ... don't get me started!

Looking forward to sharing a round with you on the Splendour.

Pam

And others have provided information in the form of verbal and written correspondence from the line indicating that there is an opt out.

I know. And, as was said before, until people start coming back from cruises where this is in affect and report their experiences we just won't know all of the logistics.

Hey, Pete. I haven't seen a machine like that, and it would certainly make it easier, especially after a bottle of wine.

You don't need to convince me. Our first cruise, we hung with a group of Brits who tipped extra with every round, and I've never even heard the nasty insinuations.

Tightwads cross all geographical boundaries. I have a few small bills in my pocket right now, in anticipation of my FIL's stingy tip at the hub's birthday dinner tonight.

Theatre ... England. One of these days I'll get there! It's been on my list since college, high school, actually. The history ... don't get me started!

Looking forward to sharing a round with you on the Splendour.

Pam

Sounds like a plan Pam, see you at the bar.

I haven't read every page of this thread. But I am hoping they stop making my time dining people pre-pay for gratuities with final payment and just bill MTDers on a daily basis. This is how every other cruise line does it. They can fall in line.

It appears, as of now, that booking MTD will still require prepayment.

You do not have to book MTD to include your gratuities with final payment. Many people like to have the gratuities paid prior to boarding. And, it makes no difference if you prepay or pay daily, the daily amount will not change.:)

I haven't read every page of this thread. But I am hoping they stop making my time dining people pre-pay for gratuities with final payment and just bill MTDers on a daily basis. This is how every other cruise line does it. They can fall in line.

Actually, I believe that Celebrity requires Select Dining (their MTD) to pre-pay grats. Since X and RC are part of the same company (RCCL), I wouldn't hold my breath.

I know that there is already a thread posted about the prepaid gratuities. I read the first six pages and it seems that everyone thinks that this is a UK policy only. I am sailing in April and I recieved this email from RCCL:

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of a change to our gratuity policy. As of March 1, 2013, Royal Caribbean will add an automatic daily gratuity of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) to the onboard account of each guest to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines.

If you have already prepaid gratuities for your upcoming cruise, this policy change will not affect you. Accordingly, we will not apply the daily gratuity to your account while you are onboard. If you have not prepaid your gratuities, you will see the daily automatic gratuity applied to your onboard SeaPass® account during your upcoming cruise.

No, everyone understands it's for everyone. You didn't read far enough. The first people to post about getting the email were in the UK, but then everyone else started getting it. I got the email last week.

We needed another thread about this. There's currently 2 or 3.

remember-----you must qualify with what is highlighted in red....

service charge i believe is added and you have no choice

gratuities i believe is showing appreciation of service given at customers descretion

is it not illegal to enforce gratuities and they have played a neat game here if you wish to remove or reduce the amount you give a reason, so who will get clobbered over this oh the crew

please watch video posted on last page of this thread

and see why the crew want us to pay them not rccl

Well one main argument has been sorted out and answered from an ex RCI crew member

"When the cruise is OVER" The staff get a list of who has or has not paid gratuities! Not at the start or at any other time they get them "When the cruise is over"

Den

Not really. The above has been said before, but there'll always be some with a different view. Plus you might see an e-mail memo if you look around...

Well one main argument has been sorted out and answered from an ex RCI crew member

"When the cruise is OVER" The staff get a list of who has or has not paid gratuities! Not at the start or at any other time they get them "When the cruise is over"

Den

In November on Indy our stateroom attendant showed us his list so this is wrong - sorry :-(

Den

Being an ex crew member might make the person biased, although I guess "when the cruise is over" could also be on the last full day in some respects?

As far as the passengers are concerned, it does not matter, really, which pocket the money comes from.

In the fare, as a "service charge" or "gratuity", the money is the same.

Just pay it.

I agree 100%. Just pay it and stop the whining, the suggested amount is the least amount you should be paying for these people that make your vacation enjoyable. It is about time RCCL did this.

Den

Not true. I have seen the list with my name on it.

That being so, it calls into question some of the other things that the video claimed.

I asked our B2B2B attendant in January how he wanted to receive (at the end of each segment) the tip, cash or pre-pay. He said that he preferred pre-pay therefore that is what we did and until an attendant tells me otherwise we will continue to do just that. We sail again on Feb.25th and will ask again and if that attendant also says pre-pay it will be what I will do.

Archived