Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Have had wonderful service more times than I can recall but it is like someone else said earlier that one time that we all seem to recall that was just bad. I had to talk with my cabin attendant 2 times on one cruise...nothing changed, so I talked with their supervisor. I gave a large extra tip to the assistant because it was him that I saw on 10 of the 14 days in my cabin working, I gave nothing more than the min. amount that was added to my account to the regular attendant. He needed paid but not any extra. I did not have it removed. Talked with many people on that cruise and more times than not, someone was saying something about the level of service and wondering if it was related to the prepaid tips. I am a minorty here, I do not like prepaid tipping. I have no problem signing the form the last day on ship and having the tips added to my account or even paying cash the last evening but I like to be tipping for services rendered at the level I wish (except for that one time, we always have tipped above suggested level).

Link?

I have spoken to the author of the UK email. She said that "if a passenger prefers to pay in cash, then they can inform guest services upon boarding and have the gratuities removed". No excuse necessary - just tell them you would prefer to pay in cash.

Thank you. I hope that it will change over on this side of the pond come March 1.
Just for clarity Patti, it has been detailed as this for a long time. I have gone back through many invoices and for example it was described like this in Jne 2012, so for us in the UK it isn't a recent change in how it is listed on the invoice.

Just for clarity Patti, it has been detailed as this for a long time. I have gone back through many invoices and for example it was described like this in Jne 2012, so for us in the UK it isn't a recent change in how it is listed on the invoice.

Pete,

Justy checked back this morning and we are the same.

Again, different from here and in Us

I think there should be something like the "naughty room" if someone removes the tips and it should be reported to the crew.

The problem you will find is that a lot of the passengers that you see removing the tips are a lot bigger than you are and could probably snap you and the crew in half like a pretzel. If someone is bold enough to go to reception to have them removed they are certainly big enough to look after themselves.

I personally think it should be pre-paid to save the hassle. At the many 5 star hotels I have stayed at in places like Singapore, London, Sydney the service charges are included in the bill. In restaurants in Hong Kong it is included in the bill. Much fairer that way in my opinion.

I like this new policy because it actually once again allows tipping in the true sense of the word.

We can banter back and forth all day about mandatory tips, gratuities, service charges, or whatever you want to call it. But the fact of the matter is the compensation structure for the mass cruise market for wait, bar, and room staff is built with a component that is the recommended charge 7.40 a day or whatever it is now. It really doesn't matter what you call it or what service you use or don't use.

Now with this change we now have leveled the playing field, and it makes the compensation structure for these people whole, and what they expect. Its nothing special, its just another part of their pay, just like if someone worked overtime and got paid time and a half. The half isn't special it's whats expected.

Now with a level playing field Tipping once again becomes special. I can choose to TIP for service beyond the norm and it truly will be above and beyond what is expected by the person I'm giving it to, and it will once again mean something.

Thank you; probably the most sensible post on this whole thread and one I completely agree with.

I like this new policy because it actually once again allows tipping in the true sense of the word.

We can banter back and forth all day about mandatory tips, gratuities, service charges, or whatever you want to call it. But the fact of the matter is the compensation structure for the mass cruise market for wait, bar, and room staff is built with a component that is the recommended charge 7.40 a day or whatever it is now. It really doesn't matter what you call it or what service you use or don't use.

Now with this change we now have leveled the playing field, and it makes the compensation structure for these people whole, and what they expect. Its nothing special, its just another part of their pay, just like if someone worked overtime and got paid time and a half. The half isn't special it's whats expected.

Now with a level playing field Tipping once again becomes special. I can choose to TIP for service beyond the norm and it truly will be above and beyond what is expected by the person I'm giving it to, and it will once again mean something.

What's next? Leveling the playing field for all employees?

Automatic 25% tips on your bill in a restaurant?

First off, sorry, but all service workers do NOT perform at the same level, and the ones that are extrememly poor at it should take their lack of tips for poor performance and go somewhere else.

Using a guideline, I can decide toadjust based on that service.

But once a company feels they need to go into my wallet underhandedly to MAKE SURE I DO IT, I take back full control.

The problem you will find is that a lot of the passengers that you see removing the tips are a lot bigger than you are and could probably snap you and the crew in half like a pretzel. If someone is bold enough to go to reception to have them removed they are certainly big enough to look after themselves.

I personally think it should be pre-paid to save the hassle. At the many 5 star hotels I have stayed at in places like Singapore, London, Sydney the service charges are included in the bill. In restaurants in Hong Kong it is included in the bill. Much fairer that way in my opinion.

In which case you may as well just charge the room fee alone and not worry about an extra service charge. :-) Which makes eminently more sense.

This a bit like the precursor to fuel surcharges and the rest. They're just a cost of doing business. A hotel can't run without staff, and an airline can't run without fuel.

The cruise lines are selling their cruises "cheap" and "cheap people" buy "cheap cruises" and we all know cheap people do not tip.

OK - I have to jump in here. I have to be very careful with my finances. Occasionally I splurge on a higher-priced cruise, but usually price is the determining factor. I love to cruise, and I can do it more often by picking the "cheap" cruises. (But RCCL is still my favorite.)

HOWEVER, I tip very generously. I believe in rewarding those wonderful staff members who make cruising so special for me.

By the way, since I enjoy the ship so much and usually don't disembark in many ports, should I have to pay port charges for those ports? I'm not getting off the ship, using the tenders, etc. I need to protest!!:rolleyes:

Kathy

In my world, everyone should be paid a decent salary for their work. That is pretty much what happens in a lot of countries including mine. Peopple decide whether to take the job based on the salary. If they don't like it they look for another job. If they work in service they may get tips, and those will probably be related to how well they perform, but they will still be paid at least the minimum wage even if they get none. If the cruise lines paid there staff a decent wage my cruise would be more expensive, and that would be fine by me, as that would be the honest and real price of the cruise, not a headline cheap price to bait me! I could then decide if I wanted to tip or not, based on service. I donlt think anyone would have a problem with this approach. I pay my gratuities in full at the moment, but rarely tip over and above, apart from room service and Diamond lounge. I feel fine about that. The people who feel that they need to tip over and beyond and give extra tips would still be able to do that.

So, my vote is for add it to the cruise price, but not as a gratuity, a sevice charge or a tip. It is the price required for the cruiseline to pay its staff fairly and that is part of the cost of running their business. They then need to decide how to pass that cost on their customers and still make a profit.

Actually, I suspect that once they start calling it a service charge it won't take long before tipping will still be expected. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems to be a natural progression. Over time people will forget that the service charge was put in place of the tipping system and soon people will start posting about how these hard working people deserve to be tipped to show gratitude for the service that they provide.

I think there should be something like the "naughty room" if someone removes the tips and it should be reported to the crew.

So removing auto tips means that the person doesn't tip? This sounds just as rediculous as the people who post that those who don't eat in the MDR on the last night do it to avoid tipping in there.

In my world, everyone should be paid a decent salary for their work. That is pretty much what happens in a lot of countries including mine. Peopple decide whether to take the job based on the salary. If they don't like it they look for another job. If they work in service they may get tips, and those will probably be related to how well they perform, but they will still be paid at least the minimum wage even if they get none. If the cruise lines paid there staff a decent wage my cruise would be more expensive, and that would be fine by me, as that would be the honest and real price of the cruise, not a headline cheap price to bait me! I could then decide if I wanted to tip or not, based on service. I donlt think anyone would have a problem with this approach. I pay my gratuities in full at the moment, but rarely tip over and above, apart from room service and Diamond lounge. I feel fine about that. The people who feel that they need to tip over and beyond and give extra tips would still be able to do that.

So, my vote is for add it to the cruise price, but not as a gratuity, a sevice charge or a tip. It is the price required for the cruiseline to pay its staff fairly and that is part of the cost of running their business. They then need to decide how to pass that cost on their customers and still make a profit.

Unfortunately, I don't think your plan would change a thing. More and more in this country I am seeing tip jars appear in more and more places. Yes, in restaurants wait staff is paid less than minimum with he understanding that tips make up the difference. But now those jars are appearing in places where staff is paid at least minimum. McDonald's is one example. There is nothing special about a tip when everyone who provides the slightest service to you feels that they are entitled. Yeah, entitled, there is a word that I just love.:rolleyes:

As an aside, my cousin worked for Princess and RCI as a cabin steward supervisor, then in guest relations, before coming back and going to Uni. She is from Scotland, not a poor country and is pretty middle class. She said it was the best job she ever did! Maybe that was due to her meeting her husband on board, but I don't think so. If staff are paid a going rate service industry salary, they can decide to work on the ship, or not, I will feel no obigation to tip them any more than I do for my land based holidays in Europe after that. I make no demands on the staff other than a clean room and to bring me my dinner.

OK - I have to jump in here. I have to be very careful with my finances. Occasionally I splurge on a higher-priced cruise, but usually price is the determining factor. I love to cruise, and I can do it more often by picking the "cheap" cruises. (But RCCL is still my favorite.)

HOWEVER, I tip very generously. I believe in rewarding those wonderful staff members who make cruising so special for me.

By the way, since I enjoy the ship so much and usually don't disembark in many ports, should I have to pay port charges for those ports? I'm not getting off the ship, using the tenders, etc. I need to protest!!:rolleyes:

Kathy

I think my finances are similar to yours. I can only afford the standard cruise lines and nothing expensive. I have to save too and I sometimes love treating myself to a better grade or even a 5 star hotel.

What I meant by cheap people is that bringing the price down is attracting the people who really are cheap and do not tip. I think the lower prices is actually making it possible for people on welfare, benefits, unemployed etc to save up and go.

Here in Australia it is entirely possible for pensioners, and people on certain benefits to afford a cruise. People get credit, and find all sorts of ways to pay for it. I imagine it is the same worldwide. The British often complain about a class as "chavs" doing cruises. We do not have an equivelent name for them in Australia, but from I gather they are the class and demographic of people that do not tip.

Unfortunately, I don't think your plan would change a thing. More and more in this country I am seeing tip jars appear in more and more places. Yes, in restaurants wait staff is paid less than minimum with he understanding that tips make up the difference. But now those jars are appearing in places where staff is paid at least minimum. McDonald's is one example. There is nothing special about a tip when everyone who provides the slightest service to you feels that they are entitled. Yeah, entitled, there is a word that I just love.:rolleyes:

That is exactly the system here, and it works fine, People are paid at least the minimum wage and then we tip, usually 10% for service. No obligation, just usual practice. I would never tip anyone in a self service place like McDonalds, but I suppose they can put the tip jar out and hope, They would wait a long time for it fill in here, as people would feel no obilgation to put anything in. If my kid dropped his drink and someone came to help, I would put something in then, but not as standard.

Actually, I suspect that once they start calling it a service charge it won't take long before tipping will still be expected. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems to be a natural progression. Over time people will forget that the service charge was put in place of the tipping system and soon people will start posting about how these hard working people deserve to be tipped to show gratitude for the service that they provide.

This is one reason to keep it separate and not include in the base fare as some are suggesting. Will hold off the new tipping threads for a few years, maybe :rolleyes:.

That seems to be what happened on Holland America when they stopped the no tipping policy.

I have spoken to the author of the UK email. She said that "if a passenger prefers to pay in cash, then they can inform guest services upon boarding and have the gratuities removed". No excuse necessary - just tell them you would prefer to pay in cash.

I really don't think it's going to be that easy.

Pete,

Justy checked back this morning and we are the same.

Again, different from here and in Us

Strange? For once I wish we could all be consistent with wording.:(

I am still waiting for someone to post a link to or a full copy of the RCI new tip policy where it says you can opt out for any reason.:rolleyes:

Call the author of your email back and ask them to send you a link or the policy where you can opt out for any reason.

I am still waiting for someone to post a link to or a full copy of the RCI new tip policy where it says you can opt out for any reason.:rolleyes:

Call the author of your email back and ask them to send you a link or the policy where you can opt out for any reason.

This is all that it says on the RCI website Why would I need to modify my gratuity amounts?

This is all that it says on the RCI website Why would I need to modify my gratuity amounts?

Thanks, that's correct, I posted a link to all the Q/A several pages back for OBoy and ask him to call if he had something different. I have not seen anything in this whole thread that said anything but opt out for poor service. I called rci and the policy that's on the website is what they sent me. I called back, and specifically asked for a copy of the policy where you cold opt out for any reason(not a verbal, wanted in writing) and got the same again. I also had a TA friend ask also and all they could get was the policy posted on the website.

Agree 100% stop playing price games. Your employees work for you, pay them a decent salary. They are worth more then fifyy Dollars a month.add it to the price of the cruise.You can't take money from me and call it a gratuity.I always pay full gratuities because i think your employees are worth it.But the point is it is not taken i pay it. :( :mad:

There is a difference between paying a fare for access to the ship and its amenities and providing a tip to someone who has provided, or not, service to you.

There is absolutely no practical differene between a manditor cruise price that includes services you don't use, and a manditory tip that includes services you don't use. It's only a meaningless semantic difference.

By the way, could you also explain how the concept of tipping and the word that you used... mandatory... fit together? Or did you mean that the act of tipping should be eliminated in favor of some other process like a service charge?

The concept of an optional tip for exceptional service is *long* past. It's now how certain employees get paid. It's idiotic. Call it a service charge, a manditory tip, include it in the cruise price, whatever It's all the same. Everybody paid. Employees don't have to rely on the whims of passengers to get paid.

setsail on the UK web site

What are Service Charges/Gratuities?Gratuities/Service Charge

On all our ships, it is customary to offer tips to staff members for their good service and personal attention. You can pre-pay your service charge as part of your booking and this will be shared among Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel. Beginning with all sailings commencing after 1st March 2013, if you have not pre-paid your tips/service charges, for your convenience, we will automatically add a $12.00 per guest per day* service charge to each guest's SeaPass account on a daily basis. Please note, we no longer provide vouchers for you to present to the staff at the end of the cruise to show you have paid your gratuities, but staff will be aware on the last evening which guests have already paid. A 15% gratuity is also automatically added to beverages, mini bar, spa & salon purchases on board. *For Grand Suites and above the daily charge is $14.25.

Please note, in the unlikely event that a guest on board, being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify (increase, decrease or remove) the daily amount by visiting Guest Services during their cruise.

and the link

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions

Archived