Holland America Lines Disasterdam

ejammer

Sadly I think that is the problem, I cannot believe that no one mentioned when OP came in and stated that his Wife did have a Passport because she Travels to Germany to see their Son.

Most couples get their passports together (yes I know not all) but when she applied for a Passport why did he not get one :confused: Did he not want to go see his Son. I think there is far more to the story than we are not aware of. Basically everything he would need to get a Passport would be the same things he would needs to cruise without the Passport but I believe that OP was trying to find a way around it. I believe OP has most likely attempted to get a Passport and has run into Road Blocks so telling him to get one is not worth mentioning any longer.

I totally missed that detail Lisa, and you may very well be right( re: wife having PP). He has been back long enough (from the December non-cruise) to have tried to get a PP afterward, or as you said, he may have tried prior. Of course, he may not yet have completed booking when he chatted. We likely wont know as he hasnt posted back recently. Either way, what a disappointment for them.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
Clarity

One thing puzzles me:

• The OP was born in Germany, while his father (a US Citizen) was on active military service there.
  • Apparently, he has a German birth certificate.
  • His wife, who has a German passport, is allowed residence in the USA.
  • The OP is also resident in the USA.

Surely, at some point, the OP must have produced some document that proved his right and that of his wife, to live in the USA?

Could this be the certificate certifying the birth of a US citizen abroad that some posters have talked about?

If it is, this should be the proof he needs, to apply for a US passport.

It would be the document that should have allowed him to board his cruise, if he had taken it to the port. I suspect he did not.

I'd like to hear from the OP that he is now able to get a passport, to avoid future hassles.

Edited by celle

Passport required.

I thought that has always been a requirement since 9/11.

Did you read all the posts explaining the "Closed Loop" requirements? Did you read any of them???

There is NO universal requirement that a US citizen have a passport when leaving the country. There are exceptions!

One thing puzzles me:

• The OP was born in Germany, while his father (a US Citizen) was on active military service there.

Surely, at some point, the OP must have produced some document that proved his right and that of his wife, to live in the USA?

Could this be the certificate certifying the birth of a US citizen abroad that some posters have talked about?

It would be the document that should have allowed him to board his cruise, if he had taken it to the port. I suspect he did not.

I'd like to hear from the OP that he is now able to get a passport, to avoid future hassles.

Where did you read that his wife has a German passport? All I read was that she holds a valid passport because she went to see their son who lives in Germany.

By the way the OP is in the process of straightening out his situation with the help of his Congressman and is in the process of getting a US passport.

Nowhere does he ever say his wife is not a US citizen.

Where are you getting this?

Terri

Edited by tbrein

I know there is a lot of discussion here ... but this is very simple.

If you are leaving the USA - you need a passport!

How could this even remotely be HAL's fault? - it is international law.

On the contrary, for those that actually read all the discussion here, it's been pretty well established here by many more experienced than I, that you do not necessarily need a passport on a closed loop cruise.

And, the answer to your question has also been covered multiple times here, and is very simple. Because a representative and experienced supervisor of HAL told me I didn't need a passport.

I wonder if that is possible for the OP since he apparently has no Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Although, I didn't know what a CRBA was until last week, I just found out I do have one, and a copy is on the way to me. :D

Although, I didn't know what a CRBA was until last week, I just found out I do have one, and a copy is on the way to me. :D

That is wonderful news.

Congratulations.

You should be the proud holder of a U.S. Passport very soon. :)

One thing puzzles me:

Gosh, I know there is a lot of information to cover in this long thread, but I expect there would be a lot fewer posts if everyone would read at least half of it prior to commenting.

Like Terri said, where in the world wide web did you get the notion my wife has a German passport?! She has always been an American citizen and has lived here all here life, except for a two weeks when she visited our son, who coincidentally ended up living in Germany. He too is an American born citizen of the good old U.S.A. Although, my wife wasn't born in a log cabin, she is about as down home southern country made in the U.S.A. as they come. She does speak French, however. She just likes the language. Oh no. Now I'll probably be reading this in a few days, and discover my wife is a spy from France!

Your suspicions are correct. I did not have the record of birth abroad document. How could I? Didn't know what one was until recently. Never left the U.S.A. once since arriving here at 8 months old. My mother never even heard of such a thing. My father has been deceased for 15 years. Evidently, it was something the U.S. Army Hospital did automatically. If the HAL representatives had told me I needed that, or any other document, instead of telling me the documentation I had would be acceptable, I could have had the opportunity to either have made an effort to get them, or at least saved myself the airfare, and a lot of other additional expenses, inconveniences, stress, and heart ache. But that is not what they told me. This was our first cruise ever! I trusted and had faith in the expert advice of the experience cruise line representatives. That was my big mistake, and their accountable error.

Edited by ejammer

One step closer...... :)

Wouldn't it be great to have that little blue document in your hand should HAL decide in your favor?

That is wonderful news.

Congratulations.

You should be the proud holder of a U.S. Passport very soon. :)

Thank all of you so very much for your continued support, encouragement, and helpful info. Oh yeah! I will have me one of them there official experienced cruiser no-hassle blue boarding passes very soon. My U.S. Congressman friend says he can name that tune in 7 days! :)

Edited by ejammer

Where did you read that his wife has a German passport? All I read was that she holds a valid passport because she went to see their son who lives in Germany.

(snipped)

Nowhere does he ever say his wife is not a US citizen.

Where are you getting this?

Terri

You're correct. In the course of this very long and involved thread, I was misled by (or misinterpreted) the information in Post#271. :eek:

Gosh, I know there is a lot of information to cover in this long thread, but I expect there would be a lot fewer posts if everyone would read at least half of it prior to commenting.

Like Terri said, where in the world wide web did you get the notion my wife has a German passport?! She has always been an American citizen and has lived here all here life, except for a two weeks when she visited our son, who coincidentally ended up living in Germany. He too is an American born citizen of the good old U.S.A. Although, my wife wasn't born in a log cabin, she is about as down home southern country made in the U.S.A. as they come. She does speak French, however. She just likes the language. Oh no. Now I'll probably be reading this in a few days, and discover my wife is a spy from France!

Your suspicions are correct. I did not have the record of birth abroad document. How could I? Didn't know what one was until recently. Never left the U.S.A. once since arriving here at 8 months old. My mother never even heard of such a thing. My father has been deceased for 15 years. Evidently, it was something the U.S. Army Hospital did automatically. If the HAL representatives had told me I needed that, or any other document, instead of telling me the documentation I had would be acceptable, I could have had the opportunity to either have made an effort to get them, or at least saved myself the airfare, and a lot of other additional expenses, inconveniences, stress, and heart ache. But that is not what they told me. This was our first cruise ever! I trusted and had faith in the expert advice of the experience cruise line representatives. That was my big mistake, and their accountable error.

Actually, I did read the entire thread, over the course of the several days it has been running. I'm sorry I got your wife's nationality wrong, but I'm not the only one to glean incorrect information. Now I've gone back and re-read the entire thread, my head is spinning, but I see where I went wrong.

Please don't assume I didn't read the thread initially. Actually, some of it is so involved and confusing that it might have been better if I hadn't done so!

Perhaps the time has come for a brief summary that will cut through all the assumptions, accusations and miscommunications?

I wish you all the best for resolution of your situation. :)

<snip>

Your suspicions are correct. I did not have the record of birth abroad document. How could I? Didn't know what one was until recently. Never left the U.S.A. once since arriving here at 8 months old. My mother never even heard of such a thing. My father has been deceased for 15 years. Evidently, it was something the U.S. Army Hospital did automatically.

<snip>

I am trying to imagine your surprise and pleasure to learn a 'clerk' of some sort did their job well oh those many years ago when you were born and he/she was tasked with reporting your birth aboard information. :) How often do we get those wonderful surprises!!! :D

You've been great to update us on your progress getting a passport.

I hope you'll be so kind as to do the same with your discussions with HAL in trying to negotiate another cruise with them.

Best Wishes.

Many of us who were born in US military hospitals have strange birth certificates made worse by the distruction of the St Louis records facility by fire many years ago.

I thought I had mine sorted out as I've had a passport for decades but on my most recent passport renewal, changes were made to how my name appears on my passport.

Which proves, nothing gets easier with time when it comes to paperwork.

You're correct. In the course of this very long and involved thread, I was misled by (or misinterpreted) the information in Post#271. :eek:

Actually, I did read the entire thread, over the course of the several days it has been running. I'm sorry I got your wife's nationality wrong, but I'm not the only one to glean incorrect information. Now I've gone back and re-read the entire thread, my head is spinning, but I see where I went wrong.

Please don't assume I didn't read the thread initially. Actually, some of it is so involved and confusing that it might have been better if I hadn't done so!

Perhaps the time has come for a brief summary that will cut through all the assumptions, accusations and miscommunications?

I wish you all the best for resolution of your situation. :)

I sincerely apologize for assuming you did not read half this relentless thread, and offer high-five kudos for completing the daunting task of actually reading it in its entirety. I agree a brief summary may be in order. The majority of my case details and position can mostly be found on the following posts in this thread:

#1 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37152005&postcount=1

#9 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37152663&postcount=9

#77 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37156743&postcount=77

#121 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37161812&postcount=121

#166 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37169525&postcount=166

#183 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37171785&postcount=183

IMO, the summary of other opinions and advice I have received in this thread include:

(Paraphrased/Approximately 50%) If you want to call yourself an American, you are required to have a passport to even go to the bathroom. HAL is the best cruise line in the universe, and should not be held accountable for what their employees tell you. Even if you have never been on a cruise before in your life, you are expected to read the fine print, roll over, play dead, and accept this. Even though you must be a naive, un-American, never-been-outside-the country hillbilly idiot, we feel sorry for you, and wish you the best.

(Paraphrased/Approximately 50%) You don’t need a passport to go on a closed loop cruise, and that is common knowledge. It is a good idea to always have a passport whether you need one or not. Don’t believe what HAL reps tells you, they are notorious for giving you wrong, or bad info. You did your due diligence, and HAL should be held accountable for what their employees told you. We hope HAL does the right thing by giving you at least the cruise you paid for, among other good will gestures. We regret this could happen to you, or anyone, feel your pain, empathize with you, and wish you the best.

I have received a great deal of helpful information and tips here; some relevant, some not. For those with nothing better to do, or have an unquenchable thirst for even more specific details, advice, irrelevant facts, etc., get a bag of pop-corn, some Tylenol, sit back, and enjoy your morning, afternoon, or evening. :)

Edited by ejammer

I sincerely apologize for assuming you did not read half this relentless thread, and offer high-five kudos for completing the daunting task of actually reading it in its entirety. I agree a brief summary may be in order. The majority of my case details and position can mostly be found on the following posts in this thread:

IMO, the summary of other opinions and advice I have received in this thread include:

(Paraphrased/Approximately 50%) If you want to call yourself an American, you are required to have a passport to even go to the bathroom. HAL is the best cruise line in the universe, and should not be held accountable for what their employees tell you. Even if you have never been on a cruise before in your life, you are expected to read the fine print, roll over, play dead, and accept this. Even though you must be a naive, un-American, never-been-outside-the country hillbilly idiot, we feel sorry for you, and wish you the best.

(Paraphrased/Approximately 50%) You don’t need a passport to go on a closed loop cruise, and that is common knowledge. It is a good idea to always have a passport whether you need one or not. Don’t believe what HAL reps tells you, they are notorious for giving you wrong, or bad info. You did your due diligence, and HAL should be held accountable for what their employees told you. We hope HAL does the right thing by giving you at least the cruise you paid for, among other good will gestures. We regret this could happen to you, or anyone, feel your pain, empathize with you, and wish you the best.

I have received a great deal of helpful information and tips here; some relevant, some not. For those with nothing better to do, or have an unquenchable thirst for even more specific details, advice, irrelevant facts, etc., get a bag of pop-corn, some Tylenol, sit back, and enjoy your morning, afternoon, or evening. :)

Another post that needs a "Like" button, LOL

:)

hihihihi....this is pretty good :D

Thank you. That was gracious of you. :)

The facts did tend to get buried in the "fluff".

You have every right to feel annoyed and disappointed at what happened to you and I truly hope such a thing never happens again.

This thread has been interesting to me because, although I am not American, I have a somewhat similar background.

I was born in the Sudan during World War II. Both my parents are British by birth and, therefore, so am I. My father was on Crown Service for the British Government (Diplomatic branch, seconded to UK Military Intelligence during the War).

At the time of my birth, children born abroad to parents on Crown Service were given all the rights of a person born on British soil. Later legislation took away one of these rights, the right to confer British nationality on our children. Consequently, even though my father's service to his country was recognized by two medals, his grandchildren could not be British unless they were born in the UK. (Two of them have since acquired British nationality through residence qualifications, and have dual UK/NZ nationality, as have I.)

Fortunately, I have had a passport as long as I can remember. However, at US immigration there have been some interesting discussions about my place of birth, particularly when George W Bush was being vehement about terrorism and the Sudan was one of the countries he listed as being part of the "axis of evil". I'm a grey-haired granny and I don't look like a terrorist! ;)

I second Startwin!

Ejammer, I love your outlook & your humour, I could see it throughout the thread even when things were not looking good on the diagnosis of this problem.

I have actually enjoyed reading this thread, and I have learned a lot. Not that I may ever need this info as I live in Canada where the rules may be different, but still, I learned a lot. :-)

For the record, - and just MY opinion - I hope that HAL does offer you full compensation as they did not ask the right questions of you regarding your birth certificate when you very clearly said you were born in Germany. That one word "Germany' should have sparked a question of at least “do you have a citizenship card” , or a statement to you of “that government ID has to be PROOF of citizenship”. Nikki knew at least to ask a supervisor on that, but the supervisor should have clarified exactly what you did have, with you on the phone.

Holland America, or any other business, should guarantee that their customer service reps know what they are talking about. From a still-ongoing recent experience with HAL customer service on a future booking, I can 100% tell you that they do not always give you the most up-to-date correct answer when you ask something.

I sincerely hope this turns out all right for you!

I have been reading this thread since the start and have laughed out loud at some of the responses. But I have to say the OP has been so nice and upbeat despite the abuse he has taken from some people. I hope that HAL sees the errors that were made and that the OP and his wife are soon on their way to a dream cruise accompanied by his brand new shiny US passport.