Holland America Lines Disasterdam

ejammer

I agree that it is a good thing for a company to do. Social media is a huge part of most companies' PR efforts now. Most will have at least one employee who is responsible for monitoring their online activity. I'm sure Oceania's CEO doesn't personally monitor the CC boards but has someone who does and reports to him when something requires his attention.

I do know that HAL monitors and responds to questions posted on Facebook. So they are "out there". It is in their own best interest to do so.

Agree!!!

I do so agree with you, Jacqui, about how impressive it is that Mr. del Rio comes to CC, takes charge of the situation, and solves the problem for the poster.

I don't care if he reads the board himself, or if a designee alerts him to potential troubles. When he steps in, there is a sense of confidence that the matter will be handled---and handled well.

Kudos to him for his "hands on" management style.

JMO and, of course, absolutely no one need agree but I do not think I would expect anyone from any cruise line to be posting responses to issues on an internet message board. It does not necessarily 'ring my bell' that the Oceania CEO conducts his business that way. :shrug: Great if others think that is the way to go. I suppose there is nothing wrong with it but it doesn't impress me that way maybe others are impressed.

Mr.Del Rio does not conduct business on the cc boards. That idea is laughable. What he does is when a person is having an issue that is big he comes on and gives the person his direct phone number and asks the person to call him. Unless the OP returns to tell us we don't know what happens or how the issue is resolved. He is certainly not joining us in a conversation of best business practices. He is creating volumes of good will among his clients.

I do so agree with you, Jacqui, about how impressive it is that Mr. del Rio comes to CC, takes charge of the situation, and solves the problem for the poster.

I don't care if he reads the board himself, or if a designee alerts him to potential troubles. When he steps in, there is a sense of confidence that the matter will be handled---and handled well.

Kudos to him for his "hands on" management style.

I agree as well. I think it is good management style and doesn't lend to 300+ posts many of which have put HAL in a less than favorable light for either giving misinformation from headquarters or making a poor decision at the pier. Either way, intervention from Seattle would have made this thread take a different turn.

Terri

Edited by tbrein

I know for a fact that someone from HAL reads this board. They may not respond here, but they do read it.

IMO, that doesn't offer the same level of customer satisfaction and goodwill as actually responding.

I can believe that HAL reads these boards (how often who knows), but if no action comes from it what difference does it make whether they read or not? The average time of response to a complaint sent to Seattle still seems to be a month or more from what posters report, so reading the board seems to bring no special action or communication from Seattle either on the board or in private.

Personally I think waiting a month or more for a response to a complaint is way too long, but that's just me. Never have complained to Seattle, so I am going by what has been posted on CC about response times.

I can believe that HAL reads these boards (how often who knows), but if no action comes from it what difference does it make whether they read or not?

There are HAL staff that read the CC boards; some of them actually know who some of us are ;) As staff member once told me he knew who I was on CC. I am sure it was more a case of figuring it out from actions (e.g. organizing the Meet and Greet) that some other "sinister" way. :)

I know that someone from the Excursion Desk on a previous cruise monitored the boards to see what comments are made and how it could help to improve things.

I think the proper way to handle specific issues is direct contact between the passenger and HAL, not a message board.

There are HAL staff that read the CC boards; some of them actually know who some of us are ;) As staff member once told me he knew who I was on CC. I am sure it was more a case of figuring it out from actions (e.g. organizing the Meet and Greet) that some other "sinister" way. :)

I know that someone from the Excursion Desk on a previous cruise monitored the boards to see what comments are made and how it could help to improve things.

I think the proper way to handle specific issues is direct contact between the passenger and HAL, not a message board.

some monitor and some don't. The captain on the Nieuw Amsterdam did follow the boards and he knew i was kazu because I organized the meet and greet.

I have asked questions on the FB page and they have never been answered.

I don't think they need to jump in every time - but for example, the 'rumour' of the change in wine policy - why not jump in and give us the straight scoop. I already did direct contact and was I've been here 8 years and I've been told of no changes- great, they didn't tell him yet - how much of that should I believe?

I think there are times that it would be appropriate.

Sorry, but Oceania wins IMO by the way they approach things.

They don't answer every thread - but, for example, they are now bringing on things like ginger beer and other types because of requests.

There have been tons of posts here about the poor wine choices.

We've never seen anyone come on and say - what would you like, we'd like to improve, whatever.

Just my opinion though - but for me, Oceania has me taking a hard look partially because of how they approach cruise critic and various things.

smooth seas:)

some monitor and some don't. The captain on the Nieuw Amsterdam did follow the boards and he knew i was kazu because I organized the meet and greet.

I have asked questions on the FB page and they have never been answered.

I don't think they need to jump in every time - but for example, the 'rumour' of the change in wine policy - why not jump in and give us the straight scoop. I already did direct contact and was I've been here 8 years and I've been told of no changes- great, they didn't tell him yet - how much of that should I believe?

I think there are times that it would be appropriate.

Sorry, but Oceania wins IMO by the way they approach things.

They don't answer every thread - but, for example, they are now bringing on things like ginger beer and other types because of requests.

There have been tons of posts here about the poor wine choices.

We've never seen anyone come on and say - what would you like, we'd like to improve, whatever.

Just my opinion though - but for me, Oceania has me taking a hard look partially because of how they approach cruise critic and various things.

smooth seas:)

Jacqui - FYI, I've had questions on the facebook page answered by "Holland America", and I see responses on there quite often.:) I've been quite surprised at times when it seemed the person representing HAL on facebook has known about (or taken the time to find out) a particular situation, and then directed the poster to the right source for a solution. I agree that HAL must monitor this site so it would be nice if there was a response or guidance now and then. Especially when there are some "experts" on here who tend to give misinformation (we know who they are:rolleyes:)

Edited by startwin
typo

I have only sailed once with Oceania and will sail again next month. Mr Del Rio does in fact respond directly on CC to guest problems by providing his phone #. I worked for HAL for 8 years as an expediter in San Diego and have sailed HAL 5 times. There is a marked difference between the two lines. By the way Mr. Del Rio is also CEO of Regent which has 3 ships.

Dear HAL staff message board reader, I realize Mr. Kruse must be much busier than Mr. Del Rio, however, I would sincerely appreciate it if you could please ask him to have someone, have someone, have someone, at least reply to the direct email I sent him 9 days ago! Although I have never organized a Meet and Greet ;), I do know a LOT of folks, and have an extensive sphere of influence. I would be eager to consider becoming one of Holland America Lines most vocal cheerleaders if given a fair chance.

P.S. In case there really are no HAL staff message board readers on here, could one of you Oceania thread followers please cell Mr. Del Rio, and ask him to please text Mr. Kruse for me?:rolleyes:

Edited by ejammer

I for one say cudos to Oceania and it's one the reasons I am looking at them - no worries, it's just my opinion;)

I agree. I've seen the responses from him on the Oceania board and I find it mighty impressive. As are most things about that line -- just looking for the right opportunity to try them. Unfortunately, their pricing has been very solo-unfriendly compared to a lot of other lines. (I can book an entry-level suite on Silversea for $2000 less than an inside on Oceania for virtually the same itinerary....!)

Edited by cruisemom42

Dear HAL staff message board reader, I realize Mr. Kruse must be much busier than Mr. Del Rio, however, I would sincerely appreciate it if you could please ask him to have someone, have someone, have someone, at least reply to the direct email I sent him 9 days ago! Although I have never organized a Meet and Greet ;), I do know a LOT of folks, and have an extensive sphere of influence. I would be eager to consider becoming one of Holland America Lines most vocal cheerleaders if given a fair chance.

P.S. In case there really are no HAL staff message board readers on here, could one of you Oceania thread followers please cell Mr. Del Rio, and ask him to please text Mr. Kruse for me?:rolleyes:

Mr Kruse is presently on the Ms Amsterdam wining and dining the grand world cruisers. You will have to wait your turn.

Terri

Edited by tbrein

My American born parents were in China when I was born as my dad was career Navy. My birth certificate is a strange black copy of a document no doubt long gone. I got a passport in early adulthood with a small amount of fuss and never leave the country without it. And I did get funny looks from officials when I entered China for the first time as an adult as I am tall and blond.

To the OP:

May I suggest another approach--A well-crafted letter sent by registered mail, express mail, FedEx or the signature serive of your choice sent to the following:

Richard D. Meadows

Executive Vice President – Marketing, Sales and Guest Programs, Holland America

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

Meadows a is also responsible for Public Relations

To the OP:

May I suggest another approach--A well-crafted letter sent by registered mail, express mail, FedEx or the signature serive of your choice sent to the following:

Richard D. Meadows

Executive Vice President – Marketing, Sales and Guest Programs, Holland America

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

Meadows a is also responsible for Public Relations

Wouldn't the mail room sign for it in the regular course of business?

More than likely but I have found that this method produces a better chance of result than an simple email.

It's the fact that you have taken the time to use a delivery method that shows a stronger level of resolve.

Edited by sapete
word choice

Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout Award (Try and get one of those without U.S. citizenship!).

There is no citizenship requirement to become an Eagle Scout. You obviously don't live in an area where there are many resident aliens. There is a requirement that you obtain three citizenship merit badges, but they do not require citizenship, only knowledge of the rights and responsibilities of citizens.

Not necessarily - you can have something sent "restricted delivery" so a specific person has to sign for it.

That is 'ripe' for refusal to accept.

So sorry, he is not here now.

So sorry, he is in conference.

I'm so sorry but he is out of the office for the next month.

etc

etc

IMO

I think the OP should have gotten confirmation she had adequate documents from the proper US agency, instead of an anonymous verbal assurance from a clerk at HAL on the phone. Unfortunate yes, but this is all part of the travel seasoning process.

I once thought I could get back into the US from a very short stay in Vancouver Canada on only a California drivers license and was about to be denied entry for my own misunderstanding and failure to bring my passport, when the immigration agent decided to teach me a lesson.