Holland America Lines Disasterdam

ejammer

Although, I didn't know what a CRBA was until last week, I just found out I do have one, and a copy is on the way to me. :D

Glad to hear that! and thanks for sharing your story here, it helps add to the body of knowledge on cruise critic and might save someone trouble in future.

For those interested here is an example of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. It is functionally equivalent to a birth certificate for US citizens born out of the country.

redacted_consular_report_birth_abroad.jpg

You've been great to update us on your progress getting a passport.

I hope you'll be so kind as to do the same with your discussions with HAL in trying to negotiate another cruise with them.

Best Wishes.

And if HAL agrees and there is a non disclosure agreement, just post a "live from" thread here and we'll read between the lines. ;-)

Having read this thread, I'm glad I chose Oceania as my cruise line. The Chairman, Frank Del Rio would have long ago responded personally to the OP and satisfied the guest.

Isn't that the truth? He would have posted his direct phone number and this thread would be dead by now.

folks, there is the written 'law; and there is the 'spirit of the law.' no one at hal, or at the pier, or the captain would understand this. the 'law' is bound up by semantics; the 'spirit of the law' is the humane application of the 'law." an injustice was perpetrated here; the word of law superceded the 'spirit of the law.' it happens all the time; and it can be a sad, sad sutuation.

folks, there is the written 'law; and there is the 'spirit of the law.' no one at hal, or at the pier, or the captain would understand this. the 'law' is bound up by semantics; the 'spirit of the law' is the humane application of the 'law." an injustice was perpetrated here; the word of law superceded the 'spirit of the law.' it happens all the time; and it can be a sad, sad sutuation.

Amen

You said it all.

Terri

You can get a new CRBA if one was issued at the consulate in Germany when you were born ( and you don't have the original.)

This is explained here at the State Dept website

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_825.html

I am in the process of replacing my middle son's , as it went missing !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ejammer,

I havent read the entire thread because it frustrates me to no end to see people trip over themselves in an attempt to blame someone whos been wrongedso that they can feel some sick sense of satisfaction in knowing someone was screwed over. If the company has not apologized for THEIR mistake in misinforming you, and offered you compensation, I suggest you forward along your story to The Consumerist. Usually, the public shaming they provide is enough to persuade the company to correct their mistake.Theres been many happy ending where after those in the company who are smart enough to recognize what costumer service is, and how harming of the brand an incident like this can be, correct the mistake.

I stopped reading about 4 pages back, but when I saw a new post, I thought I would check back and see how things were going.

Remember my post early on when one of my brothers was asking me questions, and someone thought I was laughing AT him?

Well, last night, another brother called and asked me if he had to have a passport. I thought we had gone over all that before--No I did not laugh at him...:D

Turns out, he does not have a US birth certificate because he was born in Mexico----to US citizens.

So now, we are doing the very same thing, trying to get the document. And, he said it is not cheap.

So, thank you OP for bringing all this dialog...

Pat

Having read this thread, I'm glad I chose Oceania as my cruise line. The Chairman, Frank Del Rio would have long ago responded personally to the OP and satisfied the guest.

IN all honesty - I have been following a few Oceania threads considering a potential trip - I am very IMPRESSED with how Frank responds to the board.

HAL could take a big lesson from him.

IN all honesty - I have been following a few Oceania threads considering a potential trip - I am very IMPRESSED with how Frank responds to the board.

HAL could take a big lesson from him.

How many ships does Oceania have?

About how many guests per week/month/year?

Hard to make a comparison to HAL's 15 ships and millions of guests IMO

Not fair to try IMO

Not fair to try IMO

What do you mean??

Is this in response to the plain spoken and easily understood comment that kazu made regarding someone named Frank on the Oceania Board and the she is consifdering a cruise with that line??

I just am lost as to what you are trying to tell us here... But then again, some of the comments made recently on some of the threads here on the HAL board have me shaking my head and wondering what is meant by the comment(s) and what it/they could possibly have to do with the cost of tea in China:confused::confused:

Joanie "The Lost One"

What do you mean??

Is this in response to the plain spoken and easily understood comment that kazu made regarding someone named Frank on the Oceania Board and the she is consifdering a cruise with that line??

I just am lost as to what you are trying to tell us here...

It's perfectly clear to me.

The point is that it's a lot easier for a CEO of a small company to response personally to posts than a CEO of a large one.

What do you mean??

I just am lost as to what you are trying to tell us here... But then again, some of the comments made recently on some of the threads here on the HAL board have me shaking my head and wondering what is meant by the comment(s) and what it/they could possibly have to do with the cost of tea in China:confused::confused:

Joanie "The Lost One"

Frank Del Rio is the CEO of Oceana. He has been known to post on the Oceana forum of Cruise Critics. He has also been known to jump in and take care of problems.

That said, Oceana has 5 ships with a total capacity of 4552. That is less than the capacity of the HAL 'S' Class ships alone (5000).

So it is much easier for Frank to address all aspects of his line, than it is for Stein Kruse to do the same

Frank Del Rio is the CEO of Oceana. He has been known to post on the Oceana forum of Cruise Critics. He has also been known to jump in and take care of problems.

That said, Oceana has 5 ships with a total capacity of 4552. That is less than the capacity of the HAL 'S' Class ships alone (5000).

So it is much easier for Frank to address all aspects of his line, than it is for Stein Kruse to do the same

Thank you. Now I understand what was meant. Sails post was so vague in her response to kazu, so I was quite lost....I was unaware of who this Frank was and why he was so important.

Appreciate the clarification Rich and dwjoe!!

Mr Kruse are you listening/reading???

Joanie

Not fair to try IMO

Yes Oceania has fewer ships, but the point is Frank jumps in. The CEO of HAL doesn't need to jump in but it would be nice if someone did from HAL at times.

There have been questions posted on the boards that there is no answer to (except for Lisa kindly offering her best guess).

HAL has lots of employees = it doesn't have to be the CEO - with all their employees they can't spare one to peruse and answer a few pertinent questions? there are a couple of threads here where it would be nice if HAL addressed the issues.

I'm not complaining - HAL has been good to us onboard or via Seattle - but I do envy the other boards that have people watching and responding and CARE. I really feel that HAl doesn't and I wonder if that's why we have seen the recent negativity? People are living in the world that they read and they care. I don't think so.

Ok, I'm silly I guess.:o

HAL has lots of employees = it doesn't have to be the CEO - with all their employees they can't spare one to peruse and answer a few pertinent questions? there are a couple of threads here where it would be nice if HAL addressed the issues.

That's a good idea, and not just for HAL, I think all lines should have a rep dedicated to answering questions on Cruise Critic. :)

Thank you. Now I understand what was meant. Sails post was so vague in her response to kazu, so I was quite lost....I was unaware of who this Frank was and why he was so important.

Appreciate the clarification Rich and dwjoe!!

Mr Kruse are you listening/reading???

Joanie

I'm happy your confusion was cleared up by others.

Good you now know about what I was speaking.

Yes Oceania has fewer ships, but the point is Frank jumps in. The CEO of HAL doesn't need to jump in but it would be nice if someone did from HAL at times.

There have been questions posted on the boards that there is no answer to (except for Lisa kindly offering her best guess).

I'm not complaining - HAL has been good to us onboard or via Seattle - but I do envy the other boards that have people watching and responding and CARE. I really feel that HAl doesn't and I wonder if that's why we have seen the recent negativity? People are living in the world that they read and they care. I don't think so.

Ok, I'm silly I guess.:o

JMO and, of course, absolutely no one need agree but I do not think I would expect anyone from any cruise line to be posting responses to issues on an internet message board. It does not necessarily 'ring my bell' that the Oceania CEO conducts his business that way. :shrug: Great if others think that is the way to go. I suppose there is nothing wrong with it but it doesn't impress me that way maybe others are impressed.

I am aware of the few from HAL who have identified themselves as HAL employees and have posted here. The PR HAL Rep who did so, only posted in a most rare circumstance. DutchByAssociation was a very different situation, IMO.

Edited by sail7seas

JMO and, of course, absolutely no one need agree but I do not think I would expect anyone from any cruise line to be posting responses to issues on an internet message board. It does not necessarily 'ring my bell' that the Oceania CEO conducts his business that way. :shrug: Great if others think that is the way to go. I suppose there is nothing wrong with it but it doesn't impress me that way maybe others are impressed.

Each to their own - as you say, we all have choices;)

We used to have DBA who I think tried to fill that void and was very helpufl IMO.

I for one say cudos to Oceania and it's one the reasons I am looking at them - no worries, it's just my opinion;)

Oh dear, I agree the formalities can be quite daunting and insurance might not have covered your expenses, there are very few destinations that might permit entry without benefit of a valid passport, some countries require it to be within 6 months of expiry (eg Honduras), some countries require a temporary entry permit/visa attached to your passport, and some require pictures and such on arrival and departure.

It is possible that return to the USA without a passport might have posed an inconvenience, but an incident abroad without current picture id might have had other much more serious consequences. Consider also the need to obtain the full suite of vaccinations in case you see a last minute seat sale to a destination with restrictions or health risks! Good luck on your next trip, I hope it all works out as planned! :-)

Each to their own - as you say, we all have choices;)

We used to have DBA who I think tried to fill that void and was very helpufl IMO.

I for one say cudos to Oceania and it's one the reasons I am looking at them - no worries, it's just my opinion;)

I agree that it is a good thing for a company to do. Social media is a huge part of most companies' PR efforts now. Most will have at least one employee who is responsible for monitoring their online activity. I'm sure Oceania's CEO doesn't personally monitor the CC boards but has someone who does and reports to him when something requires his attention.

I do know that HAL monitors and responds to questions posted on Facebook. So they are "out there". It is in their own best interest to do so.