All Things Adventure of the Seas

Thanks for the input!

I'm curious if you were a group of 2? And, if most of the tables were for 2 or 4?

Most of our issues on other ships are with groups of 6. Even with reservations, some ships seem to have troubles!

On Adventure, we will have 4.

We had 3 so we were always seated at a 4, with no problem. IMO, MTD has more 2 and 4 tops than large tables as compared to the regular dining room. I think more people prefer to dine with their own party in MTD. We did see several 2s set up near the windows so close that effectively, it was like sitting at a larger table with others, and people were socializing.

Edited by Familygoboston

And that ⬆️ unfortunately is contradicted by the daily Cruise Compass which clearly states "tonight's suggested dress", which is why people more or less do what they want, since there is no clear direction or enforcement. (Not trying to turn this into a dress code thread- just pointing out that it's inconsistent and that on Adventure with so many busy port days, we found the dining rooms to have a whole spectrum of dress- everything goes! :D )

We had 3 so we were always seated at a 4, with no problem. IMO, MTD has more 2 and 4 tops than large tables as compared to the regular dining room. I think more people prefer to dine with their own party in MTD. We did see several 2s set up near the windows so close that effectively, it was like sitting at a larger table with others, and people were socializing.

When we travel on Princess, when we arrive at the dining room, we are always asked if we want to sit with a large group or by ourselves. Their "Anytime Dining" is very efficient. Maybe the smaller table size choice is what makes the difference when MTD doesn't work on RCCL.

I'm curious, do you think reservations are necessary for MTD on Adventure? We'll be a group of 4.

When we travel on Princess, when we arrive at the dining room, we are always asked if we want to sit with a large group or by ourselves. Their "Anytime Dining" is very efficient. Maybe the smaller table size choice is what makes the difference when MTD doesn't work on RCCL.

I'm curious, do you think reservations are necessary for MTD on Adventure? We'll be a group of 4.

I don't recall but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that reservations are always required.

Can't speak for the Adventure, but we did 14 nights on the Allure in January and had MTD. Only made reservations one or two nights, and the rest of the time we had no issues getting a table. In fact we were able to have the same waiters for the entire second week. It's like they had a table just waiting for us each time! :D YMMV

Looking at booking a southern 7 night on AOTS. Is this ship pretty similar to Indy? Was on indy this past February but love aots itinerary!

A slightly smaller version of Indy, without a Flowrider or H2O zone.

Looking at booking a southern 7 night on AOTS. Is this ship pretty similar to Indy? Was on indy this past February but love aots itinerary!

AD is a great ship with a great crew and great itinerary. However, even though it has had a Mini-revitalization...they really ddn't add much. Hopefully it will get more during the dry dock in fall of 2016. No flow rider (and don't know if be will be added). Only one specialty restaurant (Giovannis). Still a great ship but looking forward to the "full revitalization" (whatever that might be)! I Believe Indy is much newer yet has had a more extensive revitalization ( but I am not familiar with Indy so could be wrong!)

Edited by skiiergirl

Adventure went into service in 2001 and Independence in 2008. Most of Indy's changes since being launched have only involved changes in the shops on the Royal Promenade. That was mostly done to accommodate the British passengers when Indy started spending summers in the UK. As for major revitalizations, Indy seems, to me anyway, to be a bit of the forgotten step child when it comes to the Freedom class ships. Freedom and Liberty seem to get new things first and maybe they then get around to Indy. Adventure is due for a good dry docking too. I don't know if it will get the same changes that Navigator got or not.

However, I really like both Indy and Adventure and always look forward to cruising on either ship.

I'm really hoping someone can help answer my question about beaches. My husband and I are doing a B2B in July so we will be hitting a lot of ports. We are seniors. We do like to have a swim in the ocean but don't plan on doing that at a lot of ports. Can anyone suggest the best beaches to try......we need ones that do not have a drop off near the shore as it is very difficult at our age to step back up when trying to go back to shore.

We have been thinking of taking a tour of St. Kitts with beach at the end but not if the beaches all have these drop-offs.

The main ports I am considering re a beach time are St. Kitts, St. Croix, St. Maarten, St. John/Antiqua, Barbados.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm really hoping someone can help answer my question about beaches. My husband and I are doing a B2B in July so we will be hitting a lot of ports. We are seniors. We do like to have a swim in the ocean but don't plan on doing that at a lot of ports. Can anyone suggest the best beaches to try......we need ones that do not have a drop off near the shore as it is very difficult at our age to step back up when trying to go back to shore.

We have been thinking of taking a tour of St. Kitts with beach at the end but not if the beaches all have these drop-offs.

The main ports I am considering re a beach time are St. Kitts, St. Croix, St. Maarten, St. John/Antiqua, Barbados.

St Croix, Sandcastle on the beach, no drop off but some rocks close to beach.

St Maarten, sunset cafe a nice taxi ride through the French side.

Antigua, turners beach, no crowded.

Barbados, Boat yard at the end of a tour..

St Kitts we took the train ride no beach day.

While we're talking beaches... What about St Lucia? January will be our 3rd time there, and we want a beach bar type of day... We've been snorkeling and have done the long see and sea tour.

With wind,currents,storms,etc the drop offs can change dramatically over short periods of time....hop on cc fairly close to your cruise and ask....otherwise,I have no problem asking for help as there are frequently younger ,stronger dads very willing to lend a hand....I also take my cane with me which has been helpful many times....Paynes bay in Barbados and maho on st john in the usvi are 2 I can count on to rarely have much of a step....as well as my favorites for just being so idyllic......have a happy and safe cruuse!

See notes below in red:

We like Carambola at Friars Bay in St Kitts

Rainbow beach in St Croix is nice, also close to the ship

if you want to save some money traveling there is a beach within walking distance of the ship. Walk on the walkway past the red fort, you can't miss it. I don't know about drop offs, but it was very gentle with many folks swimming, and being US it's regulated about what cruise ships can do near the beach which means it's clean (not always the case with foreign beaches within sight of the cruise ship pier:eek:.

In St Croix there is also Cane Bay beach this one is an 18 pp can ride away (Rt) but it is beautiful and very gentle. There is one restaurant across the road, as well as a snorkel outfitter and kayak outfitter. The beach has a roped off snorkel area. There are not a lot of chairs or umbrellas, but a fellow will rent you a chair and there are several palm trees for shade.

Orient bay in St Maarten I also recommend this if you want beach, but Galion Bay beach is quieter in terms of people and waves if you need a gentler beach. Nice restaurant and facilities there. It's just about the same location as Orient but closer, so it should cost the same as Orient, cabs are located and regulated right at the cruise pier, expect to pay about 7-8 pp for a full van each way.To save money there is a very nice beach right in Phillipsburg that you can walk to (about a mile on a safe walkway) or take the water taxi to (about $7 all day pass)

Valley Church in Antigua, little bit of a ride but nice

we found this beach gentle, but there was a bit of a drop off. If you stay with ing the first 3-4 feet of water you should have no problem, but it's gentle so even if if it drops out you could easily swim back to shore without being pulled out to sea!

I have photos of all three places marked in red here in my review of Adventure which is linked in my signature below ¥ as well as photos of Adventure (under ships tours ) and photos on my blog. I also have a review of tours for St Lucia and Antigua, in St Lucia, we saw a lovely beach in Soufrierre, quite a long way from the ship, but lots to see on the way down. It's called Sugar Bay beach (formerly Jalousie beach) you should look it up to see what the cost would be to rent a chair and get the cab there)

Caveat: the beaches I mention as gentle generally are located in a place where there isn't a big surf, but all beaches can get rough if the weather changes!

Hope you have wonderful time!

What did you think of the train ride in St. Kitts? I think it's the best way to see St. Kitts I've done it twice now.

For anyone who has sailed recently, does Adventure have the coke freestyle machines? On other cruises I've been on, I usually get the alcohol package which gives you access to the machines. I was wondering if this was the case on Adventure, or if I just get soda from the bar only. Thanks!

For anyone who has sailed recently, does Adventure have the coke freestyle machines? On other cruises I've been on, I usually get the alcohol package which gives you access to the machines. I was wondering if this was the case on Adventure, or if I just get soda from the bar only. Thanks!

No Freestyle on Adventure. Soda from bar or restaurant only.