Elite...no Social hour, just drink vouchers

Yeah, that was funny. I think you could sell anything on eBay and some dummy would buy it.

The sad part is they'd probably complain to X when they turned out to not be redeemable :)

Tom

Why not sell them on eBay? Some greedy sucker will probably buy the expired coupons just as some greedy suckers buy other Elite coupons.

Guess it's all an honor system. However,I wonder who has the honor and who plays the system?

Enough said: Time to get the popcorn.

As has been posted, yes you can do this. Be aware you can also get a "double", as was suggested by our cocktail waiter. I drink martinis, and I noted that the Elite martini was served in a glass smaller than the "purchased" martini. Shortly before 7:00pm one night, our waiter suggested a double to take to the theatre and it was served in the larger glass - "it's easier to carry". We generally used the same waiter every night and had established a rapport. Anyway, just something else for you to consider.

Oh, great idea. I normally just have one of the regular Martini Bar martinis per night so that would work great--thanks for the tip!

It's depressing to think that folks would actually sell the coupons.... Is this really the type of person that takes a celebrity cruise? Maybe it's time to go on a quality cruise line with folks that aren't always looking for a way to make a couple of bucks....

It's depressing to think that folks would actually sell the coupons.... Is this really the type of person that takes a celebrity cruise? Maybe it's time to go on a quality cruise line with folks that aren't always looking for a way to make a couple of bucks....

I feel like the cruise is about the drinking.

Drinking to cruise, or cruising to drink.

Wierd, or Weird, or confusing.

I may give up drinking.

FWIW, I think the selling thing was a joke. I haven't heard anything about that actually happening.

Tom

Just received an email telling us there are too many Elites on our cruise and we will be given drink 3 vouchers each day to be used at any bar instead of the Captains Club Social Hour.

Is that 3 drink vouchers, per person per day? I'd much prefer that. And since we do not have the 1-2-3 drink package on our next cruise, I would much prefer to have the vouchers so that we can join our traveling companions in a bar, instead of being separated with us in the Elite lounge and them at the bar.:rolleyes:

We found the drinks vouchers a much better system. We always take late dinner and often stay on deck to watch the sunset. Being able to use the vouchers without going in to change made a very pleasant change. It would suit us if they just added some drinks vouchers onto the Captains Club coupon sheet and left it at that. We don't drink enough to warrant a package (we didn't actually use all 6 vouchers every day) so this was a great compromise. We did get serious hints whilst on board that the whole Captains Club system is going to change because there are too many Elites (especially the equivalent from RCCL) and it is likely they will introduce another layer which is harder to qualify for. We also value the internet minutes and the free laundry, dry cleaning and pressing so, as long as we don;t lose those things we will be happy.

This is not an original idea.They could simply imbed a chip in the Seapass card that would access all benefits either purchased or earned. Could get rid of those coupon sheets and have a better record of use.

IamtheSea

I will re-post the information I put on this thread a while back.

"3 vouchers per person, per day

They have a date printed on them, so no, you can't use two on one night and four the next

They are valid for the same drinks that would have been available in Michael's or the Sky Lounge, for the same time period, 5 - 7 p.m.

There are certain bars where the vouchers are not valid, nor can they be used in the restaurants. All of this is spelled out in the Elite instructions you receive on the first day.

No vouchers on embarkation day, and perhaps one other day during the cruise if there is a Captain's Club party that night."

I sure hope they use vouchers on our sailing.

Our first Celebrity cruise.:D

We have the premium beverage package and like craft beers. Seems the best choice is at Micheal's so we'll be happy if we are not 'shut out' at cocktail hour because of an Elite only event.

On our fall Jewel of the Seas cruise they were using vouchers. We ended up going to the bar that was usually used for the Elites every night. At first we got dirty looks from the 'Elites' in attendance but then they realized we were really 'allowed' to be there.

Met some really nice people. They were surprised we were relatively experienced cruisers and had lots of questions about our other experiences. Most had only ever been on RCCL.

This is not an original idea.They could simply imbed a chip in the Seapass card that would access all benefits either purchased or earned. Could get rid of those coupon sheets and have a better record of use.

They don't have to change the seapass card, they would just need to reprogram the onboard computers used for charging drinks to know how many free drinks are allowed and how many have been used.

Probably wont happen. If they cannot reprogram the computers to support digital pictures and keep from throwing away thousands of prints per cruise, they aren't going to keep track of free drinks:)

Anyone who has used their website knows that Celebrity has pretty minimal computer skills. They have bigger fish to fry.

Tom

They don't have to change the seapass card, they would just need to reprogram the onboard computers used for charging drinks to know how many free drinks are allowed and how many have been used.

Probably wont happen. If they cannot reprogram the computers to support digital pictures and keep from throwing away thousands of prints per cruise, they aren't going to keep track of free drinks:)

The photographers/photos on board are a vendor/franchise....that is not celebrity. However, there is virtually no chance that celebrity could figure out how to reprogram their onboard computers...heck, they can't even figure out how to have an accurate, reliable web presence for passengers. You are whistling in the wind.....

We are on the Eclipse just a few days notice for sailing this Saturday.

We sailed on Eclipse 3/9 and found out when we saw the coupons in the Cabin the first afternoon. No big deal to me as you can find the location you like the best and still get the same drinks. Also allows you to use them and mingle with your sailmates who are not Elite.

Would bet this is the" wave of the future" of Elite Cocktail benefit.

Think I can find something to eat if I really wanted it too;)

We sailed on Eclipse 3/9 and found out when we saw the coupons in the Cabin the first afternoon. No big deal to me as you can find the location you like the best and still get the same drinks. Also allows you to use them and mingle with your sailmates who are not Elite.

Is it done now on any other ship than the Eclipse?

The coupons will not be the wave of the future because they have a measurable impact on wine sales in the restaurants. They really implemented this for the reason they state....if there are too many elites on board, they just can't be accommodated in the sky lounge (or equivalent) so this is their only solution.

We were on the initial trial of the coupons (eclipse fall 2012 TA) when they started with two coupons a day. That was meant with a general level of hostility so it was quickly upped to 3 coupons the next night. That seemed to work...two drinks and a glass of wine for dinner :)

Monicajay, regardless of its use or non-use for Elite events, most nights Michaels Club doesn't open until 7pm, and you won't find it open during cocktail hour.

Thanks for the info. Sad though, that they'd be promoting craft beers and then only open the best beer place at 7pm. Most serious beer drinkers I know prefer their brew in the afternoon before supper.

Vouchers are used whenever the number of Elites exceeds some threshold number. This most commonly has happened on Transatlantic cruises, and 14 day cruises, since the first time the vouchers were issued last fall. The magic number may vary from ship to ship, depending on the size of the Sky Lounge.

IamtheSea

I will re-post the information I put on this thread a while back.

"3 vouchers per person, per day

They have a date printed on them, so no, you can't use two on one night and four the next

They are valid for the same drinks that would have been available in Michael's or the Sky Lounge, for the same time period, 5 - 7 p.m.

There are certain bars where the vouchers are not valid, nor can they be used in the restaurants. All of this is spelled out in the Elite instructions you receive on the first day.

No vouchers on embarkation day, and perhaps one other day during the cruise if there is a Captain's Club party that night."

Thank you, very helpful. :)

The photographers/photos on board are a vendor/franchise....that is not celebrity. However, there is virtually no chance that celebrity could figure out how to reprogram their onboard computers...heck, they can't even figure out how to have an accurate, reliable web presence for passengers. You are whistling in the wind.....

The CEO just needs to hire a new IT/web Department and give them the necessary mandate and resources to get the job done.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Your suggestion is very efficacious.

The coupons will not be the wave of the future because they have a measurable impact on wine sales in the restaurants. They really implemented this for the reason they state....if there are too many elites on board, they just can't be accommodated in the sky lounge (or equivalent) so this is their only solution.

We were on the initial trial of the coupons (eclipse fall 2012 TA) when they started with two coupons a day. That was meant with a general level of hostility so it was quickly upped to 3 coupons the next night. That seemed to work...two drinks and a glass of wine for dinner :)

I don't know about anyone else, but we tried both the white and red wines and found they were not to our liking. I have had much better table wines in local restaurants. I really don't think they will hurt wine sales.