Elite...no Social hour, just drink vouchers

Hello...I have only participated in 1 Elite happy Hour since Celebrity has offered these and it was located in the Sky Lounge and I have a question. If the cruise is a 'voucher' cruise, where does one get these? Are they in our cabin upon embarkation? And, if we wanted to use them...say...at the Martini bar, will our drink choices be limited to those that are normally served in the Sky Lounge or Michael's during Elite Happy Hour? Thanks, Julie

We thought it was a great idea 2 weeks ago on Eclipse. We ended up at the Sky Lounge every night. The only problem was that the service wasn't too good and if we waited for a waiter it took forever, so my husband just took vouchers to the bar as needed.

I was on an Eclipse sailing in January and never received an email or other notice from X that the vouchers were to be used. However others on our Roll Call did and so I was alerted that would be the case. We loved it!! We had drinks at the bar aft of the Buffet. Sushi is put out around that time so you could get a snack if you wanted. I drink white wine so at least it was always cold....which it was not often when passed on trays. And we would stop at the Passport Bar to pick up a drink to take into dinner; the Martini Bar was always crowded.

3 voucher pp, that is generous for me. I usually have just one drink and stay at the Elite event for maybe 30 minutes.

Please don’t flame me for these few questions but……..

I know I can’t bring non-Elite friends ( not staying in my cabin) to the Elite function – but with a voucher what would keep us from meeting at another bar and I would use one of the vouchers to treat my friend to a drink?

Also – What would keep me from taking a drink away from the bar and to another venue – something that is not permitted at the Elite event?

I usually play by the rules, but in this situation, it seems like Celebrity has created some unique situations.

As the Elite lounge area is still offered to those who what a specific meeting place - seems like the best of both worlds to me. Many were against the vouchers - what am I missing?

M

I am happy to see so many positive responses to having vouchers, it should be fun exploring different bars!

Linda, I, too, am happy that the vouchers will be available on this sailing! It gives you so much more variety with a choice of venues to enjoy a pre-diner cocktail. Really looking forward to sailing on Eclipse this Saturday.

By the way, I didn't receive an e-mail from -X- yet.

Donna

Edited by George'sGal

3 voucher pp, that is generous for me. I usually have just one drink and stay at the Elite event for maybe 30 minutes.

I know I can’t bring non-Elite friends ( not staying in my cabin) to the Elite function – but with a voucher what would keep us from meeting at another bar and I would use one of the vouchers to treat my friend to a drink?

Also – What would keep me from taking a drink away from the bar and to another venue – something that is not permitted at the Elite event?

I usually play by the rules, but in this situation, it seems like Celebrity has created some unique situations.

As the Elite lounge area is still offered to those who what a specific meeting place - seems like the best of both worlds to me. Many were against the vouchers - what am I missing?

M

Treating friend to a drink: Nothing at all. You are entitled to 3 drinks. What you do with the three drinks is up to you. Note that when the Elite event is in one fixed location (which only elites can attend) drinks are unlimited - there are no vouchers used.

Taking drinks away: This is done all the time. Some examples from our cruise: Taking unopened beers back to room, Taking a glass of wine into dinner (we were told this definitely cut into the wine purchases at dinner.)

Personally, we liked the system very much, for the flexibility. We could enjoy a drink out on deck, watching the sunset, when the weather permitted, or stay indoors if that was our wish.

In response to another question, vouchers (dated) were delivered in the evening for the next day.

?

M

I don't have 3 drinks in an hour span either so am thinking like you, why can't I use one for a friend.

Treating friend to a drink: Nothing at all. You are entitled to 3 drinks. What you do with the three drinks is up to you. Note that when the Elite event is in one fixed location (which only elites can attend) drinks are unlimited - there are no vouchers used.

Taking drinks away: This is done all the time. Some examples from our cruise: Taking unopened beers back to room, Taking a glass of wine into dinner (we were told this definitely cut into the wine purchases at dinner.)

Personally, we liked the system very much, for the flexibility. We could enjoy a drink out on deck, watching the sunset, when the weather permitted, or stay indoors if that was our wish.

In response to another question, vouchers (dated) were delivered in the evening for the next day.

Actually, the vouchers are supposed to be used by the Elite member. One thing we can be sure of is if everyone starts passing the vouchers around, taking beers to the room , etc, they won't be using them for long. It's like anything else that ends up costing them too much.

Actually, the vouchers are supposed to be used by the Elite member. One thing we can be sure of is if everyone starts passing the vouchers around, taking beers to the room , etc, they won't be using them for long. It's like anything else that ends up costing them too much.

Absolutely agree.The vouchers are for the exclusive use of the Elite member. The servers can always check seapass cards before serving drinks, but they really have no control of what one might do once they receive a drink. The Elite member is entitled to USE the voucher, they are not entitled to give free drinks to friends. Pretty much the same moral (and perhaps legal) problem of purchasing one drink package and "sharing" with friends and family. You can be certain that abuse will lead to restrictions or termination of the program.

Dont get me wrong, I like the why it is now. But when I do the math. I travel in a group of 4 to 10 people. Our core group of 6 are Elite. Of the core 6, two of them are diabetics. If we each get 3 coupons. That means I get 9 drinks, each night. That is more than I drink in Michaels Lounge or the Sky Observation lounge. Our next cruise is in 61 days. I better start drinking more now. Richard:confused::D

Is it 3 coupons per cabin, or three coupons per elite member?

If an Elite member ( me ) is traveling with a non Elite ( my GF ), how many coupons do we get?

Ity's 3 per person/6 per cabin, so your GF can imbibe with you. :D

Dont get me wrong, I like the why it is now. But when I do the math. I travel in a group of 4 to 10 people. Our core group of 6 are Elite. Of the core 6, two of them are diabetics. If we each get 3 coupons. That means I get 9 drinks, each night. That is more than I drink in Michaels Lounge or the Sky Observation lounge. Our next cruise is in 61 days. I better start drinking more now. Richard:confused::D

You can always sell them? :rolleyes: There are also many folks who are Elite and have the beverage package -- they will not need the coupons.

I wonder if Celebrity bartenders will ask to see your seapass (which is stampled with the words ELITE) when you present a coupon.

While the vouchers were for use during the 5-7 pm time period, I saw many people go to the bar and order a drink plus a can of beer or soda and request that the bartender not open the can. People were quite open about the fact that they were taking the cans back to their cabin to drink later. We almost always picked up a glass of wine to have with dinner on our way to the dining room. One night we were sitting at the bar and a gentleman came over with two drink vouchers. He asked if we wanted them because he wasn't going to be using them. We told him we had our own and I don't know if he found a taker or not.

So, there are some rules but the bartenders are way too busy to enforce them. I think they also make some pretty good tips during the happy hour. The voucher system seems to be so widely used at this point that the Celebrity number crunchers must think they're not being hurt by it.

Do they have a date on them?

Are you only allowed to use them the one night, or can you use 2 one night and 4 the next?

Just curious:)

They are all dated, time stamped. They are either use or lose for that day between the hours of 5-7pm.

... I am also wondering, if you can find out, if I showed up at one of the acceptable bars at 6:55, could I use two vouchers and get two drinks that I could then nurse till closer to dinner time? A burning question!!!;)

As has been posted, yes you can do this. Be aware you can also get a "double", as was suggested by our cocktail waiter. I drink martinis, and I noted that the Elite martini was served in a glass smaller than the "purchased" martini. Shortly before 7:00pm one night, our waiter suggested a double to take to the theatre and it was served in the larger glass - "it's easier to carry". We generally used the same waiter every night and had established a rapport. Anyway, just something else for you to consider.

Why not sell them on eBay? Some greedy sucker will probably buy the expired coupons just as some greedy suckers buy other Elite coupons.

Guess it's all an honor system. However,I wonder who has the honor and who plays the system?

Enough said: Time to get the popcorn.

I'm not sure this is a big deal to Celebrity. There's a difference between getting a drink for a friend using one of your coupons and getting a extra drink using your drink package. They only give out three so they probably count on people using most of them.

I let my kids use our bingo coupon once and got a two for one wine deal with a friend and I never felt that much guilt.

Now... selling the coupons (which I think was a joke, but you never know around here) is a different deal.

If X cares they could solve the whole deal by just putting the coupon stuff on account with your Seapass card rather than using coupons. That would save the paper and make it so only the person who has the card could use the benefits. It doesn't look as nice sitting on the bed when you show up though :)

I think it hardly matters if you drink two drinks and give one to a friend or if you drink three drinks and give none to a friend. They likely count on you using the coupons.

Tom

:D

Yes and I as an Elite member am glad to recieve one and gift it to a friend!:D