Elite Drink Vouchers: vs Cocktail Party: Pick One

City_Woman

Elite Cocktail: Vouchers or Party ....PICK ONE  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Elite Cocktail: Vouchers or Party ....PICK ONE

• I love the vouchers. Get rid of the party.
    • I love the party. Get rid of the vouchers.

I would prefer a voucher because my cruising partner may be my hubby, sister or daughter and none of them are Elite so if I can't bring them to the party, I miss out all together. With a voucher, I can go to the bar of my choice and have a drink along with whoever I am cruising with. Hoping X would consider that.

Your cabin mate can attend the Elite party even if they are not Elite. I do not know if they get vouchers.

I vote for the Elite gathering. We get to meet the most fascinating people.

I agree 100% with you. Part of the reasoning for the Elite gathering was to meet other cruisers. The "gathering" does just that. It is something to look forward to every evening and I don't believe the same will hold true at different lounges through the ship(s).

Have cruised Celebrity many, many times. Have never encountered the voucher system yet but will on Infinity for the TA crossing. Will approach this with a very open mind but I do believe I still will enjoy the "old system" much better. Also find that it is much more suitable for a "single" person to attend rather than just walking into one of the lounges and joining a group there.

Yes, we have to accept what X is providing for us, however, reaching Elite status so quickly was decided by HO and Management.

I hope that we can return to the lounge "gathering" on future X cruises.

I'll admit that we have not yet sailed as an Elite as we have just achieved that status after our last cruise on the Eclipse in March. We are looking forward to sailing at the Elite level from now on and will be appreciative for any perks that Celebrity deems to give us. However, if given the choice, we would prefer vouchers. I doubt we would ever go to the elite cocktail parties, but we probably would use the vouchers in some of the other lounges with friends who may or may not be elites. We enjoy talking with anyone. Whether it's their first cruise or their 200th!

But truly, it won't affect the enjoyment of our cruise vacation either way.

Actually, it would be VERY simple for Celebrity to offer a CHOICE to ALL elites when one completes their online check-in! :);)

Apparently (according to this unscientific-but-somewhat-accurate-cross-reference-of-cruisers), by offering a CHOICE, they will alleviate the congestion of elite gatherings by approximately 3/4. This would allow those who prefer the social aspect of "elite" to gather and converse (in a predetermined venue based on size), while accommodating those who would prefer to have the vouchers and socialize elsewhere.

I vote for CHOICE. :)

Actually, it would be VERY simple for Celebrity to offer a CHOICE to ALL elites when one completes their online check-in! :);)

Apparently (according to this unscientific-but-somewhat-accurate-cross-reference-of-cruisers), by offering a CHOICE, they will alleviate the congestion of elite gatherings by approximately 3/4. This would allow those who prefer the social aspect of "elite" to gather and converse (in a predetermined venue based on size), while accommodating those who would prefer to have the vouchers and socialize elsewhere.

I'll score you as "pro-choice" :p

Actually, I think they are doing something similar to this although I wasn't even aware of it for our last cruise until reading a post here after we got back! We sailed on the Eclipse in March on one of the sailings where vouchers were used due to the large number of elite members on board. I read a post here after our cruise that indicated that the Sky Lounge was open during those hours, that the Captain's Club host was usually there and that it had an atmosphere similar to what it would have been if it was the designated Elite Lounge. (Presumably it wasn't limited to elites and vouchers were required for complimentary drinks.) We might have stopped by once or twice if we'd known this was happening but it wasn't announced. I don't know if this is normally done on sailings which use the vouchers or just something that happened on that particular sailing, but it might satisfy all if they made it a normal part of the evening and help keep the pressure off of the other bars and lounges during the voucher hours.

We love socializing & meeting new cruise mates ,many have become life long friends .If X went to a total voucher system imo that personal contact would be lost :o

We can see when there are just a over load of Elites in the sky lounge or Michaels Club ,on the Trans Atlantics for X to use vouchers for the drinks ;which has been expressed on these boards .That makes sense to user vouchers; but ,definitely not every cruise;):)

Actually, I think they are doing something similar to this although I wasn't even aware of it for our last cruise until reading a post here after we got back! We sailed on the Eclipse in March on one of the sailings where vouchers were used due to the large number of elite members on board. I read a post here after our cruise that indicated that the Sky Lounge was open during those hours, that the Captain's Club host was usually there and that it had an atmosphere similar to what it would have been if it was the designated Elite Lounge. (Presumably it wasn't limited to elites and vouchers were required for complimentary drinks.) We might have stopped by once or twice if we'd known this was happening but it wasn't announced. I don't know if this is normally done on sailings which use the vouchers or just something that happened on that particular sailing, but it might satisfy all if they made it a normal part of the evening and help keep the pressure off of the other bars and lounges during the voucher hours.

Great idea Larry:D

I cruise with my 80-something mom. We're both Elite and I voted for the party, not the coupons. The Elite events are often the only time I get to socialize with other cruisers. I wouldn't like vouchers at all. For me, it's not about the "free drinks" at all. We'd go even if we had to buy our drinks. Ok... I would go. I don't know about Mom. LOL And, FWIW, we often DO buy our drinks at the Elite cocktail party... when we don't want one of the free offerings.

We voted vouchers.

He seldom has an alcoholic drink.

My choice of pinot grigio is not available by voucher.

Why stand in line for a special cocktail party.

We visit various bars for me to sample new drinks. Ones

not on the CClub CParty drink menu.

We use the vouchers to wash our new choices down with

club soda.

jls

But a large percentage of those taking part in the poll are likely not Elite so have no frame of reference as-to the cocktail party.

Many have posted less than positive statements about all things "Elite" and the party is away up there on the sour grapes list

sourgrapes.jpg

I'm not Elite and I didn't participate in the poll but I did enjoy reading the thread. But, since I'm not Elite....I purchase a beverage package and would do the same even if I was Elite.

The beef about party vs vouchers is strange to me. With vouchers you can still strike up conversation with others at what ever bar you are in. Typically for my DH and I we sit at the bar and chat with whom ever is either right or left of us. Others are sitting at tables - usually with people they already know. On the Eclipse April 6th sailing - on some not all nights - not only did they had the skylounge banner up saying "private event" from 5-7 but vouchers also so you could go elsewhere to have your cocktail. Lots of Elites in the skylounge but also others wandered in because no one was checking status AND Elites were bringing in non-elites to join them for which they either shared vouchers or their friends where buying their own drinks - fine by me as I do not care if someone is Elite or not before I strike up a conversation. The only thing missing was the waiters passing snacks - which is the last thing I need in addition to all the other additional calories I typically consume on vacation (besides they were never very tasty anyway).

PS on a number of evenings Officers were circulating the room available for conversation. What else could anyone ask for or expect?

Oh ya...we are Elite and big fan of vouchers.

Although I voted on the Party, I don't quite understand the 'get rid of the vouchers'. The only time we experienced vouchers was when there were so many Elites we couldn't fit into the Sky Lounge. So 'getting rid of vouchers' doesnt make sense.

Personally, I enjoyed meeting up at Michaels or the Sky Lounge, and talking with new people. Yes, you can do that in regular bars/lounges, but the Elite happy hour set an atmosphere of more openness to sitting down with strangers and strking up conversations. Could have been just me.

Not a biggie, but I liked the single-site for the Elite function. With vouchers, it's just another benefiit passed out via a card, instead of a social occasion.

Den

I'll say it...

Three vouchers may be fine for some, or for most some days... but if it became the default I have been known personally have more than three beers between 5 and 7pm on a number of vacations.

I liked chatting and having an extra one or two... I'M ON VACATION!!!!

The drink package only breaks even in drink-drinks (not water and coffee) at about eight.

happy_hour.jpg

I just wish it would be possible to combine 2 or even 3 vouchers to order something else, i.e. I do not really like the cocktails they offer, but would love to be able to order a marguerita, frozen drink, wallbanger, or even a virgin cocktail (am only an occasional drinker, but just love the sweet stuff).

Therefore I would prefer to just get 1 drink I really like instead of 3 vouchers which I will not all use anyway.

Hey! That is a great idea. I wish they would offer that option. In other words, each voucher would have a "face value", so you could use up to three vouchers for a very special drink.

We don't drink between 5 and 7 so we don't use either. We wish they would have vouchers that are good until 8:30 so we can have a complimentary drink just before later dinner.
Interesting. even if they did not want to give a very long window, it would be relatively easy to provide guests with voucher timed to their dining time. For example, vouchers for early dining good from 4:30-6:30, vouchers for late diners from 6:30-8:30, select or Blu can pick a timeframe.

We don't drink between 5 and 7 so we don't use either. We wish they would have vouchers that are good until 8:30 so we can have a complimentary drink just before later dinner.

Vouchers on the time we had them were valid only for the exact same time foir use as the party... 5-7pm

OH!!! Just re-read your post

I don't drink, I say I don't drink between 5 and 7 either... (AM that is) :p

Pepe7008BarnyardDawgFoghornLeghorn.jpg

To each their own, that being said, the elite cocktail lounge is a special part of the vacation for us that we truly look forward to. There is a certain Camaraderie that takes place there. We have so many fond memories of the wonderful people we've met there. We often meet up during the cruise for dinner, drinks, excursions etc. wouldn't want to miss it. It is more than just a comped drink (which is what a voucher is), the lounge is an experience. One can choose to be as social or antisocial as they wish in the lounge. I do agree that it is great for solo cruisers especially widows and widowers which there are quite a few on board. It would be a great disservice to eliminate the lounge.

But a large percentage of those taking part in the poll are likely not Elite so have no frame of reference as-to the cocktail party.

Many have posted less than positive statements about all things "Elite" and the party is away up there on the sour grapes list

You make a good point. You're probably right to a certain extent.

It's not the free drinks for us. It's vacation and a cocktail party is a nice way to mingle and meet people eveyday in a social setting. Give passengers a choice. The unsocial types can get the vouchers! :D

Although I voted on the Party, I don't quite understand the 'get rid of the vouchers'. The only time we experienced vouchers was when there were so many Elites we couldn't fit into the Sky Lounge. So 'getting rid of vouchers' doesnt make sense.

Personally, I enjoyed meeting up at Michaels or the Sky Lounge, and talking with new people. Yes, you can do that in regular bars/lounges, but the Elite happy hour set an atmosphere of more openness to sitting down with strangers and strking up conversations. Could have been just me.

Not a biggie, but I liked the single-site for the Elite function. With vouchers, it's just another benefiit passed out via a card, instead of a social occasion.

Den

Hello Denny!

Well said. Many people only look at it as another benefit with a monetary value. Like you, we see it for it's social value. :p

Archived