Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

Manners or not, let me present to you the reality of the situation. DW and I are currently on the Millennium docked in Juneau.

The first formal night dinner was last night. We are in Celebrity Select Dining.

Now, I didn't walk around both levels before being seated eyeballing what each and every person was wearing. Nor was I seated near the hostess stand to monitor whom was being refused entry or given a jacket to hang on the back of their chair, like the Cruise Critic clothes snobs or fashion police, but here is what I saw:

At the most 10% in tuxedos; maybe another 10% in suits (dark or otherwise), another 20-30% with sport jacket or blazer, some with ties, (like me), some without, and at least 50% wearing the Celebrity definition of smart casual.

It appeared no one was refused entry, or given a jacket.

Now that's the reality of the situation.

Harvey

Manners or not, let me present to you the reality of the situation. DW and I are currently on the Millennium docked in Juneau.

The first formal night dinner was last night. We are in Celebrity Select Dining.

Now, I didn't walk around both levels before being seated eyeballing what each and every person was wearing. Nor was I seated near the hostess stand to monitor whom was being refused entry or given a jacket to hang on the back of their chair, like the Cruise Critic clothes snobs or fashion police, but here is what I saw:

At the most 10% in tuxedos; maybe another 10% in suits (dark or otherwise), another 20-30% with sport jacket or blazer, some with ties, (like me), some without, and at least 50% wearing the Celebrity definition of smart casual.

It appeared no one was refused entry, or given a jacket.

Now that's the reality of the situation.

Harvey

Thank god now we can move on

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

There will always be an ongoing discussion regarding dresscodes. But I still say that IMHO, it is bad manners to ignore your hosts suggested attire for the evening. And in this case, the host is the cruiseline.

Going on the assumption that a LOT of people have seen "Titanic" let's try this...

Remember Rose's rich arrogant fiancé, absolutely CONVINCED of his own SUPERIORITY, based on his wealth, social status, suite accommodations, AND THE PROPER FORMAL WEAR, to adhere to the dress code? :rolleyes:

How absolutely STUNNED he was when poor underclass peon Jack showed up for dinner, looking "ALMOST A GENTLEMAN" only because now, he too, was in compliance with the dress code? ;)

Try to set aside comfortable biases and adopt a sense of intellectual honesty, and explain how the CURRENT "dress code" is any different today than it has been at any time or place throughout history. :confused:

Any difference IS ONE OF DEGREE ONLY.

"Oh the games people play now, every night and every day now,

never meaning what they say, now never sayin' what they mean.

Well they while away the hours, in their ivory towers...:)

...and now on to OTHER topics of REAL IMPORTANCE, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, what did Kate and Andrew wear to dinner, and who was on LENO?

Going on the assumption that a LOT of people have seen "Titanic" let's try this...

Remember Rose's rich arrogant fiancé, absolutely CONVINCED of his own SUPERIORITY, based on his wealth, social status, suite accommodations, AND THE PROPER FORMAL WEAR, to adhere to the dress code? :rolleyes:

How absolutely STUNNED he was when poor underclass peon Jack showed up for dinner, looking "ALMOST A GENTLEMAN" only because now, he too, was in compliance with the dress code? ;)

Try to set aside comfortable biases and adopt a sense of intellectual honesty, and explain how the CURRENT "dress code" is any different today than it has been at any time or place throughout history. :confused:

I will insert the above post as it say's it all - One can never dispute what is essence of good manners.

There will always be an ongoing discussion regarding dresscodes. But I still say that IMHO, it is bad manners to ignore your hosts suggested attire for the evening. And in this case, the host is the cruiseline.

Any difference IS ONE OF DEGREE ONLY.

Yea but it was underclass peon guy that got to do the nasty thing with Kate Winslet in that old car in the cargo hold and get to draw her naked .

So in yer face high class formal wearing guy .

*LOL* I guess we all have our own memories of that film

For me, good manners almost always started with "mind my own business"....

others grew from that sentiment.

My dad would have shaken your hand and bought you a drink. :)..He always said "Minding your own business is a full time job, you don't have time moonlighting minding someone else's"

For me, good manners almost always started with "mind my own business"....

others grew from that sentiment.

And in reality--on-board---I imagine that is the way events truly go. I know I mind my own business and could care less what another person dresses or acts! But these online forums tend to bring out the bad in some, and some like myself are just terrible writers, so our message gets lost,lol

Our 1st Celebrity cruise is this Wed--Will be interesting to see how everyone dresses!! I have been busy attaching a collar and sleeves to all my Metallica and AC/DC shirts, hope I have not been wasting my time! :D:

In all my years of cruising I have never seen another passenger make any kind of a comment to another passenger on the ship. That would be bad manners. As far as I know, people are entitled to "think" whatever they like.

Unfortunately DH and I have not only heard another passenger make a rude comment about the dress code, but we were actually the recipients of said rudeness.

And this wasn't even for dinner. Dinner ended 2 hours prior, and we did wear our formalwear to dinner. Then we went to relax in the room for a bit. At about midnight we went to take a walk around the ship (The Millie), when, as we passed a couple in the hall, the guy, with the most horrible paisley cummerbund the world has ever seen, made a most obnoxious comment about how people wearing jeans and short sleeves (what we were wearing at the time) ruined formal night.

I figured that we were the targets of the comment because at the time were in our late 20s, and it was likely past his bedtime.

It never ceases to amaze me how rude people will be when discussing this topic. On both sides of the argument.

I take it we can't move on so I will repeat I will wear a black suit white shirt bow tie because my wife wants me to so if that ain't enough

Tuff

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Unfortunately DH and I have not only heard another passenger make a rude comment about the dress code, but we were actually the recipients of said rudeness.

And this wasn't even for dinner. Dinner ended 2 hours prior, and we did wear our formalwear to dinner. Then we went to relax in the room for a bit. At about midnight we went to take a walk around the ship (The Millie), when, as we passed a couple in the hall, the guy, with the most horrible paisley cummerbund the world has ever seen, made a most obnoxious comment about how people wearing jeans and short sleeves (what we were wearing at the time) ruined formal night.

I figured that we were the targets of the comment because at the time were in our late 20s, and it was likely past his bedtime.

I suppose your response might have been: it's too bad you don't have time to read celebrity's dress code and then ask why he was still wearing his tuxedo since "formal" only applies to the main dining room.

Again, another arrogant, self righteous and condescending response from the fashion police.

Like your mommy, we are all SSOOO proud of you, to be able to read AND understand what you read! Who'd a thunk!?

Sometimes I have chosen to wear a powdered wig and knee breetches and felt myself superior to all those lesser mortals in mere commoners clothes.

The only people who have difficulty with understanding that ANY dress code, (be it from THIS century or any of the countless centuries of the past), is as absurd, arbitrary, capricious, frivolous, inane, petty, random and ridiculous, as the next, are those who are so hopelessly addicted to the idea that a persons worth is determined by his or her clothing.

And to think, I thought mature ADULTS were supposed to be beyond the need to "play dress up."

I rest my case.

I will insert the above post as it say's it all - One can never dispute what is essence of good manners.

Two things I would say to that:

1. I agree it is bad manners to ignore the dress code but most hosts will not be offended if a guest interprets and adapts the code to their own personal style.

2. In the case of a cruiseline I am paying the host to eat therefore I expect some consideration of my own personal expectations. Of course this argument works both ways - if I love formal nights I might expect the host to provide a full-on formal environment. If I don't then I might expect the host to be a little more relaxed. The challenge the host faces is to please as many of their paying customers as possible.

a) it is a suggestion

b) Since I am paying to be on the ship, I am hosting the dinner, not Celebrity. Celebrity is, for all intents and purposes, just the caterer

c) If I am invited to a formal wedding or dinner, then I believe I have an obligation to either decline the invitation or follow the guidelines. If I am paying for the dinner, then I'm not so sure...

I actually don't have a horse in this race....we book aqua...however, I think some are carrying formal just a bit too far...and in fairness, there are some who are going a bit to far on the "I'll do what I want" side.

This thread could (and probably will) go on forever with both sides insisting that they are right and the other should capitulate. Folks...that isn't going to happen, so you might want to take on some other holy war.

I was using the wording in the post which I was responding to. I'm actually not sure what it is...since it isn't enforced, it's not a rule or a requirement....it seems to be a recommended guideline, irrespective of what celebrity calls it.

Clearly you don't get it. ... The only purpose for this attitude is to do what you want, to heck with the rules and what the majority of the people want. And you call me arrogant? I pity anyone who has such a poor regard for the will of the majority. ...

The "majority"? How do you know what the majority want? Do you have poll results?

The fact that dress codes seem to be a continuing and heated debate might well indicate otherwise.

The "majority"? How do you know what the majority want? Do you have poll results?

The fact that dress codes seem to be a continuing and heated debate might well indicate otherwise.

The debates here don't give an accurate picture of how things actually are on the ships. EVERY Celebrity cruise I have been on has seen a much higher percentage of passengers who enjoy following the guidelines than those who do not. That experience is my "poll". But, I guess first hand experience is not meaningful in these discussions.

It is my belief that these dress code threads are populated with a higher percentage of "anti-dress code" types than there actually is in Celebrity's customer base. When a thread title suggests a dress code discussion, it appears that the "anti-dress code" crowd are drawn to it like moths to a flame, while most of the "pro-dress code" crowd moves on to more interesting topics - something I wish I had done myself before getting too invested in this one.

But, no one has ever accused me of running away from a good argument. :D

Archived