Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

Obviously the true problem is that the cruise line "has" a dress code that makes it clear that shorts and a t-shirt are not acceptable in the main dining room at dinner. The dress code is not written by "cruise snobs" it is written by the cruise line. Whether we personally think there should be a dress code for formal nights also has nothing to do with it. There is one in place and it is well published both before and during the cruise. If it is not something we are comfortable with there are many alternatives provided., "Cruise snobs"...horrible people that they are, abide by the requested dress code. Personally, I consider that to be good manners.

Whether certain forms of dress are acceptable in our neighborhood restaurant is really completely irrelevant. They don't have a written dress code. If the cruise line didn't have a dress code I would agree with everything you said.

In all my years of cruising I have never seen another passenger make any kind of a comment to another passenger on the ship. That would be bad manners. As far as I know, people are entitled to "think" whatever they like.

I do also think that purposely defying a written dress code when I am perfectly aware of it and have been given the choice of doing something else would certainly be bad manners. I also think it would be extremely pretentious to think I am so special that I can disregard a published policy because I may not agree with it.

Amen and thanks for making your point so well, especially the last paragraph. I would much rather be called a "cruise snob" than a "cruise slob". On our just completed TA, a guy who had to be well into his 70s waltzed into the main dining room wearing a baseball cap. I hope he had a scalp condition :}

I rarely respond to Dress Code threads, but the OP's comments got my attention.

I consider "good manners" with abiding by the requested dress guidelines for the evening's dress. Even though I may be a paying customer, I feel it would be bad manners to disregard the dresscode.

And no one is being "duped" into wearing formalwear for the Speciality Restaurants. The cruiseline establishes the ambiance for the evening in hopes that the tone for the evening is heightened and special.

I don't consider myself a "cruise snob", but rather a passenger who chose this cruiseline 14 years ago for their dresscode guidelines, amongst varying other factors.

Very well stated.

In my opinion, following the dress code is about good manners for this reason. Whether you are booking a cruise or staying at a certain type of hotel you are buying into the experience that is being offered. If you don't want that experience, then choose another hotel or cruise line that offers you what you are looking for. Don't try and degrade the experience that others are buying into just to suit your own purpose.

I agree.:D

In my opinion, following the dress code is about good manners for this reason. Whether you are booking a cruise or staying at a certain type of hotel you are buying into the experience that is being offered. If you don't want that experience, then choose another hotel or cruise line that offers you what you are looking for. Don't try and degrade the experience that others are buying into just to suit your own purpose.

Very well stated.

Just FYI:

DW and I are sailing the Millennium towards Alaska at this moment. And in the very first Celebrity Today it states the formal dress for Gentleman as:

"Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks"

That effectively eliminates the "dinner jacket" debate and means my blue blazer with dress slacks is within the meaning of the dress code now. And tonight at formal dinner, I will walk proud knowing I am in compliance.

Harvey

Harvey, you must be kidding, right? Celebrity would never change their policy without informing the cruising public before hand - would they?

So if what you are reporting is true, it was bad manners for you to pack that jacket but tonight you have good manners for wearing it? Boggles the mind doesn't it? Seems like trying to figure out Celebrity's real dress code is like trying to find out "Who's on first".:D

Enjoy your dinner. Just be on the lookout for the fashion police aboard who haven't got the memo yet.;)

Just be on the lookout for the fashion police aboard who haven't got the memo yet.;)

There are no fashion police onboard, just people you will enjoy their cruise in various forms of dress:D. However, these boards may be a different scenario.:eek:

Just FYI:

DW and I are sailing the Millennium towards Alaska at this moment. And in the very first Celebrity Today it states the formal dress for Gentleman as:

"Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks"

That effectively eliminates the "dinner jacket" debate and means my blue blazer with dress slacks is within the meaning of the dress code now. And tonight at formal dinner, I will walk proud knowing I am in compliance.

Harvey

That's the best news I've heard today! Thanks for posting this!

There are no fashion police onboard, just people you will enjoy their cruise in various forms of dress:D. However, these boards may be a different scenario.:eek:

I stand corrected, oh wise and witty one.;)

Harvey, you must be kidding, right? Celebrity would never change their policy without informing the cruising public before hand - would they?

So if what you are reporting is true, it was bad manners for you to pack that jacket but tonight you have good manners for wearing it? Boggles the mind doesn't it? Seems like trying to figure out Celebrity's real dress code is like trying to find out "Who's on first".:D

Enjoy your dinner. Just be on the lookout for the fashion police aboard who haven't got the memo yet.;)

Again, another of your childish responses. I have never been confused with Celebrity's dress code. You see, I can read AND understand what I read. Sometimes I have chosen to wear a tux, and felt that I fit in quite well. Other times, I have worn a dark suit, and still felt comfortable. Once I wore a jacket and slacks, and yet I never felt out of place, or outside the dress code. However, I have always worn a shirt, tie, socks, shoes and underwear (just in case you find foolish reason to question those items of my wardrobe).

The only people who have difficulty with Celebrity's requirements are those like you who prefer to test and question the system for your self centered need to dumb it down to the lowest level possible.

Again, another of your childish responses. I have never been confused with Celebrity's dress code. You see, I can read AND understand what I read. Sometimes I have chosen to wear a tux, and felt that I fit in quite well. Other times, I have worn a dark suit, and still felt comfortable. Once I wore a jacket and slacks, and yet I never felt out of place, or outside the dress code. However, I have always worn a shirt, tie, socks, shoes and underwear (just in case you find foolish reason to question those items of my wardrobe).

The only people who have difficulty with Celebrity's requirements are those like you who prefer to test and question the system for your self centered need to dumb it down to the lowest level possible.

Again, another arrogant, self righteous and condescending response from the fashion police.

Like your mommy, we are all SSOOO proud of you, to be able to read AND understand what you read! Who'd a thunk!?

Sometimes I have chosen to wear a powdered wig and knee breetches and felt myself superior to all those lesser mortals in mere commoners clothes.

The only people who have difficulty with understanding that ANY dress code, (be it from THIS century or any of the countless centuries of the past), is as absurd, arbitrary, capricious, frivolous, inane, petty, random and ridiculous, as the next, are those who are so hopelessly addicted to the idea that a persons worth is determined by his or her clothing.

And to think, I thought mature ADULTS were supposed to be beyond the need to "play dress up."

You two should consider cruising together on Carnival where that type of humor is more in line with the clientele. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should consider taking a long hard look in the mirror, to determine if the arrogance and condescending attitude in the above statement is really all that becoming.

DH and I do have some sympathy with the view that dress codes in general are unnecessary. However, until everyone is capable of being trusted to dress appropriately then some sort of code, or suggested guidelines (call it what you will) are inevitable.

The way we look at it is we would feel uncomfortable being the only naked people in the MDR, but we would also feel uncomfortable being dressed formally on a nude beach! It's all about dressing in an appropriate manner for your surroundings.

We think Celebrity has got it about right for us. We know that the ambience will be good and even if one or two people do not adhere strictly to the dress code we are comfortable with that.

Maybe you should consider taking a long hard look in the mirror, to determine if the arrogance and condescending attitude in the above statement is really all that becoming.

I think it's pretty clear that we can conclude from this thread that there is indeed a link between The Dress Code and Good Manners.

Some people with the strictest adherence to X's Dress Code (or their own interpretation of that Dress Code) do indeed have Bad Manners.

Thank you boogs and SantaFeFan for proving my point.;)

Now on to a topic of REAL importance - the elimination of that embarkation drink:eek:

Again, another arrogant, self righteous and condescending response from the fashion police.

Like your mommy, we are all SSOOO proud of you, to be able to read AND understand what you read! Who'd a thunk!?

Sometimes I have chosen to wear a powdered wig and knee breetches and felt myself superior to all those lesser mortals in mere commoners clothes.

The only people who have difficulty with understanding that ANY dress code, (be it from THIS century or any of the countless centuries of the past), is as absurd, arbitrary, capricious, frivolous, inane, petty, random and ridiculous, as the next, are those who are so hopelessly addicted to the idea that a persons worth is determined by his or her clothing.

And to think, I thought mature ADULTS were supposed to be beyond the need to "play dress up."

This post is the essence of self-righteous condescension. Do you seriously think anyone believes that someone's worth is determined by what they wear? How did you survive wearing a naval uniform?

This post is the essence of self-righteous condescension. Do you seriously think anyone believes that someone's worth is determined by what they wear? How did you survive wearing a naval uniform?

Are you kidding me ???????

There certainly are people that judge others worth by what they wear, and by what they do for a living, and by what they make a year , and by where they live, and by what color they are , and by what religion they are.

Where the heck have you been?

There certainly are people that judge others worth by what they wear, and by what they do for a living, and by what they make a year , and by where they live, and by what color they are , and by what religion they are.

I think you know what I meant.

Living under a very fashionable rock.

It's so terribly enjoyable when two sides of an argument completely misunderstand each other then proceed to misrepresent the other side's position. Dress code threads are such fun :D:D

There certainly are people that judge others worth by what they wear, and by what they do for a living, and by what they make a year , and by where t they live, and by what color they are , and by what religion they are

We had a prime example earlier this week in a thread that had a lot of posts removed. Don't see much of it onboard.

It would be nice if people could address the subject without making personal remarks.

Agree with you on that one. My apologies, my comment was over the line - but the set up was the biggest, slowest batting-practice fastball - I couldn't resist swinging at it.;)

I'll try to check my swing next time.

I wonder if some others will join me?

Clearly you don't get it. It amazes me how many people on this thread feign confusion, ignorance, or some mistaken sense of superiority in regard to this simple guideline. The only purpose for this attitude is to do what you want, to heck with the rules and what the majority of the people want. And you call me arrogant? I pity anyone who has such a poor regard for the will of the majority. It is not about a person's worth - a tired cliche that you often trot out on these threads. It is about understanding what is being asked of us and participating in a group activity for the enjoyment of it.

And you question my maturity? Just reread your own post and your other one immediately after it!

Clearly you don't get it. It amazes me how many people on this thread feign confusion, ignorance, or some mistaken sense of superiority in regard to this simple guideline. The only purpose for this attitude is to do what you want, to heck with the rules and what the majority of the people want. And you call me arrogant? I pity anyone who has such a poor regard for the will of the majority. It is not about a person's worth - a tired cliche that you often trot out on these threads. It is about understanding what is being asked of us and participating in a group activity for the enjoyment of it.

And you question my maturity? Just reread your own post and your other one immediately after it!

Agreed! The only people who have difficulty with this topic are those who try to create confusion to serve their own selfish goals of undermining a policy they don't agree with, in spite of the majority of Celebrity's customers who do. Just take a look around you while dining in the MDR on any cruise and you will see that the largest concentration of guests do "GET IT".

Archived