Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

As there are a lot of seasoned cruisers on this thread.

Perhaps it is the ones that are 'over' the occasion (getting dressed up to the nines) of formal nights and therefore do not want to partake any more.

I am sure that the majority of us here, really enjoyed the first formal night but our enthusiasm has waned somewhat since then.:D

The debates here don't give an accurate picture of how things actually are on the ships. EVERY Celebrity cruise I have been on has seen a much higher percentage of passengers who enjoy following the guidelines than those who do not. That experience is my "poll". But, I guess first hand experience is not meaningful in these discussions.

But, no one has ever accused me of running away from a good argument. :D

So you really have no basis other than your personal feelings to substantiate the claim that a majority prefer the current dress codes. The 'live report' from a current Alaskan cruise reported on this thread actually indicates the majority, given the choice, prefer a more relaxed dress code.

Two things puzzle me about the dress codes.

First, if dressing up is so much fun, if everyone wants to dress up, then why does there have to be a strictly enforced dress code?

Second, I don't understand the claim by those supporting the dress code that those failing to follow that code are somehow diminishing the cruise experience. It would seem that the enjoyment of dressing up can be experienced without forcing everyone to either avoid the MDR or to also dress up.

This thread reminds me of a quote I once read: "You will never change the mind of a foolish man, because to do so he will have to admit to being foolish."

I must be a follower instead of a leader because I follow the dress code and actually enjoy doing so. And I don't consider myself a foolish man, either. ;)

As there are a lot of seasoned cruisers on this thread.

Perhaps it is the ones that are 'over' the occasion (getting dressed up to the nines) of formal nights and therefore do not want to partake any more.

I am sure that the majority of us here, really enjoyed the first formal night but our enthusiasm has waned somewhat since then.:D

I think you hit the nail on the head!

So you really have no basis other than your personal feelings to substantiate the claim that a majority prefer the current dress codes. The 'live report' from a current Alaskan cruise reported on this thread actually indicates the majority, given the choice, prefer a more relaxed dress code.

Two things puzzle me about the dress codes.

First, if dressing up is so much fun, if everyone wants to dress up, then why does there have to be a strictly enforced dress code?

Second, I don't understand the claim by those supporting the dress code that those failing to follow that code are somehow diminishing the cruise experience. It would seem that the enjoyment of dressing up can be experienced without forcing everyone to either avoid the MDR or to also dress up.

If you take a look at the responses to this thread I think you will see that most of those who believe that abiding by the dress code is the mannerly thing to do are frequent Celebrity cruisers and most of those who don't have seldom if ever been on a Celebrity ship. Some of them post regularly to Celebrity dress code threads, but have never set foot on one of their ships.

...I pity anyone who has such a poor regard for the will of the majority....

boogs, you need to ask yourself if the 'will of the majority' is a laudable goal for any group. The list of historical examples of when the 'will of the majority' was the worst thing for society is very long indeed. I won't list them here but I encourage you to do some further research of the topic.

Afterwards, if you still feel the same way - i.e. the 'will of the majority' is always right, so be it - that's your opinion and you have every right to feel that way.

But I, and many others, who reject the notion that the 'will of the majority' is laudable, also have every right to think that way.

Please don't pity us. We are not suffering, or in distress. We are rejoicing in our role of freedom fighters throwing off the yoke of the 'tyranny of the majority'. Maybe I should change my username to Spartacus, or William Wallace, or G.W.

boogs, you need to ask yourself if the 'will of the majority' is a laudable goal for any group. The list of historical examples of when the 'will of the majority' was the worst thing for society is very long indeed. I won't list them here but I encourage you to do some further research of the topic.

You have got to be kidding? You equate adhering to the dress code to destructive social issues throughout history?

If you want to take it to those lofty levels, then you also need to look at when the majority improved society. Bravo to the majority for it's stance on smoking that eventually brought us non-smoking environments. Bravo to the majority on voting for equal rights for women and minorities. Bravo to the majority for supporting immunizations that have driven many diseases to extinction. Need I go on?

You have got to be kidding? You equate adhering to the dress code to destructive social issues throughout history?

If you want to take it to those lofty levels, then you also need to look at when the majority improved society. Bravo to the majority for it's stance on smoking that eventually brought us non-smoking environments. Bravo to the majority on voting for equal rights for women and minorities. Bravo to the majority for supporting immunizations that have driven many diseases to extinction. Need I go on?

Finally we can agree on something:)

So we can see from history that sometimes that the will of the majority is right and sometimes the will of the majority is wrong. (we do agree on this, right?)

Your 'majority' on this issue is simply wrong in my humble opinion. In your humble opinion your 'majority' is right. We agree to disagree. :D

Now can we come to a consensus on whether sports jackets or blazers on Formal nights meet the apparently new 'X Formal' definition? Discuss.

Please don't pity us. We are not suffering, or in distress. We are rejoicing in our role of freedom fighters throwing off the yoke of the 'tyranny of the majority'. Maybe I should change my username to Spartacus, or William Wallace, or G.W.

You spend a lot of energy trying to make yourself the bigger person, but I dont think so in this case. Those real freedom fighters had no choices and were fighting for the populous, not their personal dress preferences. You on the other hand can go down the street to half of dozen other cruise lines willing to take the money of Walmart martrys. At the very least you have the choice of the buffet and room service.

Burt

Now can we come to a consensus on whether sports jackets or blazers on Formal nights meet the apparently new 'X Formal' definition? Discuss.

If that's what they post in the daily, they do, if not they don't. They have been overlooked in the MDR for quite a while. This thread began when someone said they had no problem with shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on Formal Night. I think those of us who have sailed with Celebrity for a long time knew that once they loosened up the dress code, this is what we would be discussing some day.

I guess the thing I find a little sad is that soon there will be no choices of any kind. We can all wear our jeans and eat McDonald's "everywhere". Even now, many of the things that used to make traveling special have disappeared and it's just becoming more of the same wherever we go.

Actually, it probably won't even be necessary to travel any more, we'll just have a chip in our virtual life machine that will simulate these places and we won't even have to look at each other or speak directly to another person. Just look at the kids and their texting and video games and you'll get the idea. I'm glad I won't be around to see it.

If that's what they post in the daily, they do, if not they don't.

So what do I pack before I get on the boat and see the Daily? A suit and a sports coat/blazer just in case this ship is different from the rest? Where is the consistency in the guidelines many here want all of us to follow?

You spend a lot of energy trying to make yourself the bigger person, but I dont think so in this case. Those real freedom fighters had no choices and were fighting for the populous, not their personal dress preferences. You on the other hand can go down the street to half of dozen other cruise lines willing to take the money of Walmart martrys. At the very least you have the choice of the buffet and room service.

Burt

Actually I don't spend a lot of energy.;)

"Walmart martrys" - very cute - I like that one. May I use that phase in the future. I'll site the original source of course. If I do use it , do I have your permission to correct the spelling?

So what do I pack before I get on the boat and see the Daily? A suit and a sports coat/blazer just in case this ship is different from the rest? Where is the consistency in the guidelines many here want all of us to follow?

They don't turn people away in sport coats so if you think that's formal wear, you should wear it.

This is proving to be an intellectual debate, with valid post both for and against formal ware in the MDR. My position is one to enforce the dress code; however, I can see the other side of the argument.

So I have a question to all those being against formal ware.

How far does the dress code have to be “dumed down” before you have cause to question it?

This thread reminds me of a quote I once read: "You will never change the mind of a foolish man, because to do so he will have to admit to being foolish."

I must be a follower instead of a leader because I follow the dress code and actually enjoy doing so. And I don't consider myself a foolish man, either. ;)

Love it!!:D

This is proving to be an intellectual debate, with valid post both for and against formal ware in the MDR. My position is one to enforce the dress code; however, I can see the other side of the argument.

How far does the dress code have to be “dumed down” before you have cause to question it?

Well seeing you are being fair and objective on both sides of the issue . How "Snobbed up" would you like it to be ?

To be honest I don't really care what people wear or how they dress, its the person that is more important to me, as long as someone does not spit or belch over the table whilst I am trying to eat I don't care and anyway, when you look at Celebrity they give the names of dinning rooms where its formal dress only, so if people don't want to dress up they can avoid these dinning rooms and try something different.

Its your cruise, you have worked hard for it, so you do what YOU want to do,

To be honest I don't really care what people wear or how they dress, its the person that is more important to me, as long as someone does not spit or belch over the table whilst I am trying to eat I don't care and anyway, when you look at Celebrity they give the names of dinning rooms where its formal dress only, so if people don't want to dress up they can avoid these dinning rooms and try something different.

Its your cruise, you have worked hard for it, so you do what YOU want to do,

It is the non-avoidance which is being debated.

I've always thought it was dress codes that were "dum", not the lack of them.

The dress code can be anything, I don't really care, so long as the interpretation of that code is left to the individual and not enforced, either by the cruise line or the semi-mythical fashion police. I trust the majority of my fellow passengers to dress in an acceptable manner. The small percentage of badly dressed people (e.g. paisley cummerbunds and dresses which show far too much flesh) can be easily ignored.

Archived