Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

Neither. With all due respect, you seem to be the only one bothered by opinions that aren't in line with your own.

I'm not bothered at all. I like to challenge those with opinions that aren't in line with my own. Call it 'sport' if you will. (I also challenge those with opinions that are in line with my own). I just want to see if there is any intellectual rigour behind these opinions.

BTW, lashing out with veiled and not so veiled insults; "modicum more intelligence than the bare minimum necessary for survival." and "some folks can actually glean that info without pictures." is usually the refuge of an intellectually weak argument. (and might be considered bad manners in some places)

Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

Of course you teach your children right from wrong and manners and respect for others

You just can't always do it at a dining room table for 2 hours with appropriate silverware for all 7 courses.

I have always been amazed when people compliment us on our kids , they sound like wonderful young people when they go to other peoples homes *LOL*

Oh well you do raise them to go out into the world and be decent human beings not to just hang around the house . :)

Exactly and I do not expect them to know how to use all the right silverware for 7 courses considering they will not eat all 7 courses. Hey sometimes I do not even know which fork to use :D

Exactly when people compliment me when they have the boys I am like are you sure they were MY boys, especially when I hear they helped clean up after dinner.

My boys in general are a bit mature in certain ways as they all have a chronic medical condition and one of the twins has spend so much time in hospitals when he is admitted at our local children's hospital in DC he asks for a specifc IV nurse. In reality I think this has helped my boys deal with others better in certain ways and be more sympathetic, etc.

I just think kids learn by example and I try to set a good one.

Sharon

I'm not bothered at all. I like to challenge those with opinions that aren't in line with my own. Call it 'sport' if you will. (I also challenge those with opinions that are in line with my own). I just want to see if there is any intellectual rigour behind these opinions.

BTW, lashing out with veiled and not so veiled insults; "modicum more intelligence than the bare minimum necessary for survival." and "some folks can actually glean that info without pictures." is usually the refuge of an intellectually weak argument.

Thank you for your contribution to the thread.

I apologize if you interpreted my dry wit/humor as lashing out. It was certainly not my intent but unfortunately, intent oftentimes falls victim in the digital realm. I'd like to think, however, that someone bothered by that which he/she misinterprets as "veiled and not so veiled insults" would be careful not resort to that which he/she finds offensive, i.e., "usually the refuge of an intellectually weak argument." Again, my apologies.

Exactly and I do not expect them to know how to use all the right silverware for 7 courses considering they will not eat all 7 courses. Hey sometimes I do not even know which fork to use :D

Exactly when people compliment me when they have the boys I am like are you sure they were MY boys, especially when I hear they helped clean up after dinner.

My boys in general are a bit mature in certain ways as they all have a chronic medical condition and one of the twins has spend so much time in hospitals when he is admitted at our local children's hospital in DC he asks for a specifc IV nurse. In reality I think this has helped my boys deal with others better in certain ways and be more sympathetic, etc.

I just think kids learn by example and I try to set a good one.

Sharon

Sorry to hear about your sons. I hope they are doing well.

Of course good parenting and setting examples are very important , but i think sometimes adverse conditions can help some kids really come into their own.

Like you said , your sons illness has made them more sympathetic to others and deal with people better.

My kids (2 are from my first marriage , 2 are from my DWs) had to grow up a little younger and take on a little more responcibilty than a lot of kids their age . My ex was nobody's idea of a mother for most of their formative years. My step kid's dad is not a bad guy , but he lived far away. As a result they are now very self sufficent. 2 are out of the house now and they are all are working full time and/or going to school. they cook clean , do laundry, pay their bills.

DW and I work long hard hours , we didn't have time making beds and fixing cereal for 18 yr olds . Was it alwasy rosy ....hell now , But I am very proud of how they all turned out. Good kids never any REAL trouble. What else could you ask for.

The problem with this bb is that most people are enthusiasts - I'm not, and as a more typical average customer, it souldn't be up to me to 'google it' to know what the cruise line is talking about. That's their job!:

This is the typical attitude of the "me" generation who refuses to take responsibility for their actions, instead placing the blame on everyone else. For the life of me, I can't get my head around the attitude that it isn't you who needs to be aware of what is going on, but the world around that needs to adapt to your ignorance of any expectations. Heaven help us when people like you make important policy decisions.

As for it being the cruise line's job to tell you what it expects, they do so in numerous places on their web site, in your cruise documents, and in the Welcome Aboard binder in your stateroom. That you insist on ignoring all of these attempts to educate you is the problem, not the cruise line's effort to inform you.

This is the typical attitude of the "me" generation who refuses to take responsibility for their actions, instead placing the blame on everyone else. For the life of me, I can't get my head around the attitude that it isn't you who needs to be aware of what is going on, but the world around that needs to adapt to your ignorance of any expectations. Heaven help us when people like you make important policy decisions.

As for it being the cruise line's job to tell you what it expects, they do so in numerous places on their web site, in your cruise documents, and in the Welcome Aboard binder in your stateroom. That you insist on ignoring all of these attempts to educate you is the problem, not the cruise line's effort to inform you.

Bingo! I think Celebrity does a great job at informing their passenger's of their policies, regarding the dresscode. All the information can be found in numerous places.

I apologize if you interpreted my dry wit/humor as lashing out. It was certainly not my intent but unfortunately, intent oftentimes falls victim in the digital realm. I'd like to think, however, that someone bothered by that which he/she misinterprets as "veiled and not so veiled insults" would be careful not resort to that which he/she finds offensive, i.e., "usually the refuge of an intellectually weak argument." Again, my apologies.

Thank you. Great post!

Sorry to hear about your sons. I hope they are doing well.

Of course good parenting and setting examples are very important , but i think sometimes adverse conditions can help some kids really come into their own.

Like you said , your sons illness has made them more sympathetic to others and deal with people better.

My kids (2 are from my first marriage , 2 are from my DWs) had to grow up a little younger and take on a little more responcibilty than a lot of kids their age . My ex was nobody's idea of a mother for most of their formative years. My step kid's dad is not a bad guy , but he lived far away. As a result they are now very self sufficent. 2 are out of the house now and they are all are working full time and/or going to school. they cook clean , do laundry, pay their bills.

DW and I work long hard hours , we didn't have time making beds and fixing cereal for 18 yr olds . Was it alwasy rosy ....hell now , But I am very proud of how they all turned out. Good kids never any REAL trouble. What else could you ask for.

No need to feel sorry - my boys are fairly stable or I would not dream of taking them out of the country and on a cruise ship for 12 days (out of the US for 14+). Clay and Cole turned 16 and I was told almost 16 years ago Clay would never walk talk or live to see 4 - so you never know as he does all 3 (granted he needs a wheelchair for long distances). My ex walked out when my oldest was 6 and twins 2 and has failed to support them for the last 14 years and barely sees them - only when I am in Florida to see my mom at Christmas time and then on my terms. He never calls them etc. He is and was a compulsive gambler and now the boys see this. I do travel with lots of medical supplies and formula (Clay can eat but it g-tube dependent). I have an entire carry on suitcase that is full of medications, formula powder, feeding pump and yes I still manage to ensure the boys have suits and ties.

I work hard too and Roger - my partner for the last 10 years (just no need to get married with tax issues) does also. I don't make beds but like my kitchen clean and I will wash clothes if the manage to make it downstairs to the laundry room. They can do the laundry and feed themselves. I do not make breakfast on weekdays and only occasionally on Sundays' But I do often cook at night at least a few nights as I like to have family meals and always on Sundays unless we go out.

As I said I think kids learn by example. If you raise them right while they may not always be angels at home in general they have the manners and behavior to act properly outside of the house

Sharon

You will notice it doesn't mention "shirt" or "shoes" either but I guess the cruise line and I both make the mistake of assuming most adults possess at least a modicum more intelligence than the bare minimum necessary for survival.

Unfortunately this is a bad assumption as proven by several of the posts on this thread.

I don't think it's a "me" generation thing at all - more of a "Consumer" generation attitude. :)

The funny thing is I wore a suit and tie on formal night on our recent X cruise. But after reading comments by some on this thread I think I will be going sans tie and socks next time.;)

..... and watch all the ensuing turmoil!:D

But after reading comments by some on this thread I think I will be going sans tie and socks next time.;)

And apparently, sans "class" as well. Your attitude is appalling. That you find amusement in this is sad, and displays a lack of maturity. :(

Thankyou for the reassurance. Still think I might hide in the cabin on formal nights lol

No need to hide, just dress as you feel you should/want to not to how/what others think.

If you think the way you dressed meets X' s 'formal' (not someone else's opinion), then go to the MDR, if not go to the buffet, a specialty restaurant or have room service. The choice is yours really.:D

No need to hide, just dress as you feel you should/want to not to how/what others think.

If you think the way you dressed meets X' s 'formal' (not someone else's opinion), then go to the MDR, if not go to the buffet, a specialty restaurant or have room service. The choice is yours really.:D

Good, practical advice as usual.

ditto to what gek said.:)

...actually Ditto, Ditto. ;)

No need to feel sorry - my boys are fairly stable or I would not dream of taking them out of the country and on a cruise ship for 12 days (out of the US for 14+). Clay and Cole turned 16 and I was told almost 16 years ago Clay would never walk talk or live to see 4 - so you never know as he does all 3 (granted he needs a wheelchair for long distances). My ex walked out when my oldest was 6 and twins 2 and has failed to support them for the last 14 years and barely sees them - only when I am in Florida to see my mom at Christmas time and then on my terms. He never calls them etc. He is and was a compulsive gambler and now the boys see this. I do travel with lots of medical supplies and formula (Clay can eat but it g-tube dependent). I have an entire carry on suitcase that is full of medications, formula powder, feeding pump and yes I still manage to ensure the boys have suits and ties.

I work hard too and Roger - my partner for the last 10 years (just no need to get married with tax issues) does also. I don't make beds but like my kitchen clean and I will wash clothes if the manage to make it downstairs to the laundry room. They can do the laundry and feed themselves. I do not make breakfast on weekdays and only occasionally on Sundays' But I do often cook at night at least a few nights as I like to have family meals and always on Sundays unless we go out.

As I said I think kids learn by example. If you raise them right while they may not always be angels at home in general they have the manners and behavior to act properly outside of the house

Sharon

You sound like a wonderful family. :) ya know it's funny My Mom always told me never bad mouth my ex in front of the kids , they will learn on their own and see who is good to them and who isn't and make up their own mind a they get older.

So I never did and now they are 26 and 24 and they know her true colors. DD has a twinge of that "She's still my mom" and will make a little effort to have a relationship with her, my DS will call her if DD shames him into it. Now that she is in her 40s and no longer the" Queen of The Stardust Ballroom" (my Mom's name for her *LOL) she wants to be a mom. It don't work that way after all these years.

God bless you all and many wonderful cruises

I dunno ... I think Dirty Dawg is probably a lot of fun on a cruise!

I'm an old fuddy-duddy, myself, but I love a good sense of humor!

I love a good sense of humor as well, but not juvenile humor such as has been displayed several times by the person in question. You two should consider cruising together on Carnival where that type of humor is more in line with the clientele. :rolleyes:

I love a good sense of humor as well, but not juvenile humor such as has been displayed several times by the person in question. You two should consider cruising together on Carnival where that type of humor is more in line with the clientele. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

It is true; I am an acquired taste.......

........just like a Glenlivet single malt scotch :)

Not sure if they serve that on Carnival :confused:

I dunno ... I think Dirty Dawg is probably a lot of fun on a cruise!

I'm an old fuddy-duddy, myself, but I love a good sense of humor!

Thanks Lady Chew, but watch out what you wish for.

If we were ever on the same cruise, it would be a lot of fun, but I would debate you on the proper spelling of humour.;)

I don't think it's a "me" generation thing at all - more of a "Consumer" generation attitude. :)

The funny thing is I wore a suit and tie on formal night on our recent X cruise. But after reading comments by some on this thread I think I will be going sans tie and socks next time.;)

Let's see, the person who wants to create turmoil in others for his own personal pleasure doesn't think this is a "me me" thing. ;)

Burt

About a bajillion posts on here deal with MDR dress codes. These posts vary in degree from legitimate questions to imposing, harassing attacks. I have found that a common element exists in quite a few of the posts from the harassing side of the equation. The common element is a misunderstanding of the definition of good manners.

I am certain I have read a post that offered a dictionary definition that seemed to side with the dress-formal-or-stay-in crowd, which tends to focus on the letter of the law without giving one iota of care to the spirit of the law. Of course it doesn't take into consideration what is good manners in the real world, both today and a few decades ago. Guys wearing hats while eating has never been accepted, but wearing shorts is commonly accepted (and not scorned) at most decent restaurants. I'll exclude the restaurants that overcharge for their food because the imposing harassers have to eat somewhere on the mainland. In fact, shorts or casual (not sloppy) clothing is acceptable and within good manners most everywhere (although not at every function). That being said, a paid for dinner on a cruise ship is not a function that should demand one wear formal clothing. I thoroughly enjoy dressing up for the formal nights. On the other hand, if you are more comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt, then more power to you. The true problem is, as I referred to them in another post some time ago, is the cruise snobs. I just ask that you pass the pepper, and exercise true good manners of eating with your mouth closed, your napkin on your lap, and your hat off your head.

In conclusion, it is not bad manners to not wear formal clothes to formal night, except to the pretentious people who have been duped into believing an 8 oz. steak, ruined with a sauce, is worth $40. What is bad manners is to believe that another person is less of a person because he/she carries themselves in a different way than you do.

In my opinion, following the dress code is about good manners for this reason. Whether you are booking a cruise or staying at a certain type of hotel you are buying into the experience that is being offered. If you don't want that experience, then choose another hotel or cruise line that offers you what you are looking for. Don't try and degrade the experience that others are buying into just to suit your own purpose.

Thanks Lady Chew, but watch out what you wish for.

If we were ever on the same cruise, it would be a lot of fun, but I would debate you on the proper spelling of humour.;)

Yes, but how do you spell G R E Y ???

I didn't realize that only sophisticated humor was allowed on Celebrity!

But after reading comments by some on this thread I think I will be going sans tie and socks next time.;)

I didn't realize that only sophisticated humor was allowed on Celebrity!

Yet another clear example of how society is expected to lower itself to the lowest common denominator to satisfy a distasteful few. :(

Hmmm, but do they mention ties and BTW where does it mention "dark suit".

Right from the X web site;

""Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks."

Are you more bothered by people doing what they choose to do or are you bothered because they are not choosing to do what YOU want them to do.

Seems Celebrity is just fine with a suit - not a dark suit. And it looks like ties are optional.

Just FYI:

DW and I are sailing the Millennium towards Alaska at this moment. And in the very first Celebrity Today it states the formal dress for Gentleman as:

"Tuxedo, suit or jacket with slacks"

That effectively eliminates the "dinner jacket" debate and means my blue blazer with dress slacks is within the meaning of the dress code now. And tonight at formal dinner, I will walk proud knowing I am in compliance.

Harvey

Archived