Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

If you're going to have a dress code..ENFORCE IT or abandon it. Personally I love getting dressed up and yes, every night. I know this is not for everyone but when the dress code says no jeans or T shirts in the MDR it should mean exactly that.

Some people feel that rules are in place for others and that they should be able to do what they want....not just on a ship but in their daily lives.

I'll quit here before I really get started.

Charles.

If you're going to have a dress code..ENFORCE IT or abandon it. Personally I love getting dressed up and yes, every night. I know this is not for everyone but when the dress code says no jeans or T shirts in the MDR it should mean exactly that.

Some people feel that rules are in place for others and that they should be able to do what they want....not just on a ship but in their daily lives.

Charles.

The "dress code" does not say no jeans and you will see them in the MDR and the Specialty Restaurants.

I would have liked to just focus on this part of your post only, but there were way to many color breaks to do so.

Charles.

I am a big fan of obeying rules and I do not believe I should be able to do whatever I want. However some rules just make no sense to me and I feel that they should be challenged. If I challenged them in a loud and offensive way then yes that makes me bad-mannered (e.g. wearing shorts and a t-shirt on formal night and sneering at the tuxedoes). I don't see any problem in challenging rules in a polite and non-confrontational way (e.g. dressing stylishly but not wearing a jacket).

I always wonder if those who say the heck with the dress code I will wear what I want got an invitation from their boss at work for a Black Tie dinner, would they show up in shorts, torn jeans, regular jeans, etc?

LIKE - Exactly what I was thinking ! It could also be an invitation to a best friend's wedding, a fancy Christmas party, etc. - Same thing applies.

And I want to add - if the dress code is Celebrity's rule and a lot (or most) of passengers like it or at least are willing to adhere to it, there is no justification needed for some others who do not.

No enforcement would be needed if people are reasonable and understand what is appropriate.

We do not always want to take formal dress along either - especially if on a longer trip before or after cruise - but then we just go to other restaurants where dress code does not apply.

The irony is that many folks who choose to ignore the dress code are often the same folks who go off the deep end when other pax choose to engage in poolside chair-hogging, smoking in non-smoking areas, jumping buffet lines, saving seats in the theater, etc. It appears that many of the "It's my cruise, I paid for it, I'll wear/do as I wish" mentality aren't quite so generous toward or particularly tolerant of fellow pax with the same I'll-do-as-I-please mindset.

The irony is that many folks who choose to ignore the dress code are often the same folks who go off the deep end when other pax choose to engage in poolside chair-hogging, smoking in non-smoking areas, jumping buffet lines, saving seats in the theater, etc. It appears that many of the "It's my cruise, I paid for it, I'll wear/do as I wish" mentality aren't quite so generous toward or particularly tolerant of fellow pax with the same I'll-do-as-I-please mindset.

OK, I'd like to see your statistics on that one. My impression is just the opposite. No stats on my part. Yours?

My impression is that most people posting on the Celebrity board who are against the dress code are not really against A dress code per se but they are against the varying interpretations of the code, both on Celebrity's part and by other cruisers posting on this board. Someone posted a photo of the sign at the door of the MDR - formal men's wear is tux, suit or dress slacks and jacket. (No mention of ties). You can drive the proverbial truck through that definition of formal. If that's Celebrity's definition then what's the difference between someone wearing a $150 blazer and $50 slacks and a smart casual $500 jacket and $200 jeans. The first appears to be acceptable as per Celebrity's policy and the latter, which is a heck of a lot nicer, is somehow not. And more than likely the latter would not be turned away at the door.

I think (yes folks, unlike many on this bb I don't know this for a fact) most cruisers actually like the smart casual atmosphere and most would not show up in the MDR in shorts and t shirts.

I think most cruisers just want to know,from Celebrity, does Formal mean 'Formal' or is it 'just a little bit nicer than regular'.

When I go out to a land based function at a restaurant, of course, I dress up if it's with my boss or a client. And quite frankly I err on the side of too 'formal' just in case. When I go to the same restaurants with my family I dress down a bit more. As I said before it's nowhere near as smart casual or casual as a lot of dinners. But when I'm on a cruise and the cruise line has difficulty defining what Formal is I err on the side of me - my own tastes (OK, actually my wife's tastes ;)).

I don't care if I'm not as 'Formal' as many. They can enjoy their dinner, have as many overpriced photos taken as they want, and have a wonderful time. I'll have a great time too, just without the tux and the photos, and maybe the tie after I've read that sign ;).

OK, I'd like to see your statistics on that one. My impression is just the opposite. No stats on my part. Yours?

No statistics, but enough years on Cruise Critic to have come across posters espousing the "It's my cruise..." excuse for ignoring the dress code in a given thread, only to find those same posters popping up at other other times in other threads complaining about chair hogs, people cutting into lines, etc.

My impression is that most people posting on the Celebrity board who are against the dress code are not really against A dress code per se but they are against the varying interpretations of the code, both on Celebrity's part and by other cruisers posting on this board.

My impression is that the only interpretation posters who choose to ignore the dress code care about is their own. I've yet to come across any poster who refuses to respect the dress code because of varying interpretations. They know what formal, smart casual and casual mean; they just don't care.

I think (yes folks, unlike many on this bb I don't know this for a fact)...most would not show up in the MDR in shorts and t shirts.

Agreed.

I think most cruisers just want to know,from Celebrity, does Formal mean 'Formal' or is it 'just a little bit nicer than regular'.

Those who want to know what X means by formal simply have to read the What to Wear or What to Pack section of X's sales brochures, read through threads like this one in which someone posted a photo of the sign outside the MDR and/or read the dailies which clearly state what is considered appropriate on formal evenings. It's hardly rocket science.

If that's Celebrity's definition then what's the difference between someone wearing a $150 blazer and $50 slacks and a smart casual $500 jacket and $200 jeans.

What exactly is a smart Casual jacket? I know what suite jackets, blazers, sports jackets and dinner jackets are but I have never heard the term smart casual jacket. Are you referring to the Miami Vice linen jackets with rolled up sleeves from the 80's? Also jeans that are $20 or $200 dollars are still jeans. Having been part of the generation who started the fad of over priced designer jeans I can tell you that they are both the same and don't make you any more important because you over paid for cotton canvas denim. It just makes you a fashion victim.

Those who want to know what X means by formal .

"Ignorance is bliss" and "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..." have stood the test of time..

The mystery of phanaticism:

"Twas well observed by my Lord Bacon, That a little knowledge is apt to puff up, and make men giddy, but a greater share of it will set them right, and bring them to low and humble thoughts of themselves.

What exactly is a smart Casual jacket? I know what suite jackets, blazers, sports jackets and dinner jackets are but I have never heard the term smart casual jacket. Are you referring to the Miami Vice linen jackets with rolled up sleeves from the 80's? Also jeans that are $20 or $200 dollars are still jeans. Having been part of the generation who started the fad of over priced designer jeans I can tell you that they are both the same and don't make you any more important because you over paid for cotton canvas denim. It just makes you a fashion victim.

I would never pay more than $50 AUD for a pair of jeans, as they are for casual outings only, I do not consider jeans to be smart casual, no matter what the price tag.:D

My impression is that the only interpretation posters who choose to ignore the dress code care about is their own.

Almost everyone interprets formal in their own way. Obvious examples are anyone who wears a blazer or a kilt, neither of which are mentioned in the Celebrity dress code. One could extend this to coloured cummerbunds or bowties, which under some definitions of formal would be considered gauche. Some would also say that ties are compulsory but you will see many people in Celebrity MDRs without them and nothing in Celebrity's code demands them.

Dress codes should not be ignored but I believe they can be interpreted in many ways which may not be to the letter of the law but are still stylish and appropriate.

Almost everyone interprets formal in their own way. Obvious examples are anyone who wears a blazer or a kilt, neither of which are mentioned in the Celebrity dress code. One could extend this to coloured cummerbunds or bowties, which under some definitions of formal would be considered gauche. Some would also say that ties are compulsory but you will see many people in Celebrity MDRs without them and nothing in Celebrity's code demands them.

Dress codes should not be ignored but I believe they can be interpreted in many ways which may not be to the letter of the law but are still stylish and appropriate.

How did you become such an expert on what is seen in Celebrity MDR? I thought you said you have only been on one Celebrity cruise in Aqua Class:confused:

I would never pay more than $50 AUD for a pair of jeans, as they are for casual outings only, I do not consider jeans to be smart casual, no matter what the price tag.:D
\

I disagree. A good pair of new black or brown jeans are virtually indistinguishable from any other trousers unless you are the sort of weirdo who takes in every detail about what other people are wearing. Sure, most jeans look pretty casual particularly after they have been washed a few times but I've worn good new jeans to formal events and no one has ever noticed, including my friends who I know are not afraid to criticise the way I dress. :D

How did you become such an expert on what is seen in Celebrity MDR? I thought you said you have only been on one Celebrity cruise in Aqua Class:confused:

Oh sorry. I didn't realise I wasn't qualified to express an opinion based on what I have seen as well as what others have told me.:rolleyes:

\

I disagree. A good pair of new black or brown jeans are virtually indistinguishable from any other trousers unless you are the sort of weirdo who takes in every detail about what other people are wearing. Sure, most jeans look pretty casual particularly after they have been washed a few times but I've worn good new jeans to formal events and no one has ever noticed, including my friends who I know are not afraid to criticise the way I dress. :D

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree, then.:D

Oh sorry. I didn't realise I wasn't qualified to express an opinion based on what I have seen as well as what others have told me.:rolleyes:

I always believe what others tell me.......:rolleyes:

I know what I know and don't confuse me with the facts crowd....;)

It depends on who tells you...:confused:

Have you looked up the Dutch meaning of "Gek"?

This is one topic where there will be no consensus, ever...

You most certainly are qualified to express an opinion. I was just curious about how you have become an expert on what goes on in Celebrity's MDR if you have never been in one. You seem to be so confident when giving advice. I think it's a reasonable question.

You most certainly are qualified to express an opinion. I was just curious about how you have become an expert on what goes on in Celebrity's MDR if you have never been in one. I think it's a reasonable question.

Well if you must know....

We travelled with friends who were not in Aqua class and we ate with them on one formal night in the MDR. They are seasoned Celebrity travellers and advised me that I would not need a jacket and they were right (on that occasion). In addition to that I have other friends who cruise regularly and have been on Celebrity ships multiple times.

I'll admit I am new to Celebrity but I prefer it to every other cruise line I have been on. The stricter dress code is perhaps the one thing I don't like.

Of course. Why do you think I use that name?

That explains why some people stay with the nonsense when one does not agree with the opposite point of view..

Some people look like "Een vlag op een modderschuit" :D

Almost everyone interprets formal in their own way.

Actually, this statement should be edited to read: "Almost everyone who doesn't like the dress code interprets formal in the way they want it to be for their convenience." I have read so many posts on so many threads from people who claim the dress code is too vague, that in my opinion most of these people would never understand it even if it was shown to them in photos because they DON'T WANT to agree with it. It isn't how they want to dress, so they do everything the can to circumvent the guidelines, even to the point of feigning ignorance or confusion of them. It is a simple matter of an "it's all about me" attitude. What they want is much more important than what everyone else wants. So they flaunt the guidelines, suggest to others to ignore them, and continually campaign for changes that meet their wants. To heck with what the cruise line wants. To heck with what the majority of diners want. It's only what they want that matters.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. It's just that these "ignore the code" people are really annoying.

Archived