Dress Code & Good Manners

Canusa02

Karynanne, I agree with you. We sail on Celebrity and have for several years because we like the way Celebrity does thing and the guide lines it has established in the MDR and on the ship in general. If someone does not like what Celebrity offers then they should cruise with another line where they would be more comfortable. Like yourself I do not consider myself or my partner cruise snobs. We just like a certain experience

It's certainly true that you don't have to be a snob to enjoy formal nights but would it make that much difference if Celebrity's dress code was treated as suggested guidelines rather than enforceable rules? In practice it oscillates between the two and this creates confusion.

It's certainly true that you don't have to be a snob to enjoy formal nights but would it make that much difference if Celebrity's dress code was treated as suggested guidelines rather than enforceable rules? In practice it oscillates between the two and this creates confusion.

A dress code is somewhat more than "suggested guidelines" but somewhat less than "enforceable rules". If you tell most people that there is a "dress code", then they will endeavour to at least conform to the spirit of the dress code, to the best of their ability.

In my experience, most passengers on Celebrity also conform to the spirit of the dress code. It would create a really unpleasant situation for everyone if Celebrity had to start "enforcing" the dress code. From time to time, someone may be turned away from the MDR, but in general, the most that Celebrity seems willing to do is to politely provide a jacket where needed. Since there aren't too many people pushing the limits, the way that it is being handled by Celebrity seems appropriate to me.

If and when there comes a time where the MDR is half empty on formal nights, then Celebrity will have to make further adjustments. In the meantime, the current dress codes seem to be working for most people.

A dress code is somewhat more than "suggested guidelines" but somewhat less than "enforceable rules". If you tell most people that there is a "dress code", then they will endeavour to at least conform to the spirit of the dress code, to the best of their ability.

In my experience, most passengers on Celebrity also conform to the spirit of the dress code. It would create a really unpleasant situation for everyone if Celebrity had to start "enforcing" the dress code. From time to time, someone may be turned away from the MDR, but in general, the most that Celebrity seems willing to do is to politely provide a jacket where needed. Since there aren't too many people pushing the limits, the way that it is being handled by Celebrity seems appropriate to me.

If and when there comes a time where the MDR is half empty on formal nights, then Celebrity will have to make further adjustments. In the meantime, the current dress codes seem to be working for most people.

Thanks, the most accurate post yet.

Excellent response to my question. As usual there is far more angst about dress codes here than on board Celebrity ships. To be honest I have never encountered any issues with dress codes (on board a ship or otherwise) apart from the aforementioned jacket loan.

Nevertheless it is fun to argue about :)

Excellent response to my question. As usual there is far more angst about dress codes here than on board Celebrity ships. To be honest I have never encountered any issues with dress codes (on board a ship or otherwise) apart from the aforementioned jacket loan.

Nevertheless it is fun to argue about :)

Yes, it really seems to get some people's hackles up. I try to stay clear of mentioning this topic, as well as tips on roll calls as it just seems to divide people and cause angst.:D

This type of discussion baffles me. If the cruise line has a dress code it is meant to be followed, however, it is rarely the case. If they do not enforce it then it causes threads like this to explode. I for one follow the dress code or dine elsewhere. That is my choice.

I always wonder if those who say the heck with the dress code I will wear what I want got an invitation from their boss at work for a Black Tie dinner, would they show up in shorts, torn jeans, regular jeans, etc?

This type of discussion baffles me. If the cruise line has a dress code it is meant to be followed, however, it is rarely the case. If they do not enforce it then it causes threads like this to explode. I for one follow the dress code or dine elsewhere. That is my choice.

I always wonder if those who say the heck with the dress code I will wear what I want got an invitation from their boss at work for a Black Tie dinner, would they show up in shorts, torn jeans, regular jeans, etc?

Sure I would show up in a tux - he/she is my boss i.e. my boss is my source of income.

On the other hand Celebrity is not my boss - in fact I am Celebrity's boss - I am Celebrity's source of income.

When my boss says "Jump", I Jump. When my suborinate says "Jump", I usually fire them. ;)

Sure I would show up in a tux - he/she is my boss i.e. my boss is my source of income.

On the other hand Celebrity is not my boss - in fact I am Celebrity's boss - I am Celebrity's source of income.

When my boss says "Jump", I Jump. When my suborinate says "Jump", I usually fire them. ;)

I was going to make this point too but this thread is about manners, not passenger rights.

If my boss asked me to got to a black tie function I would politely decline. If he or she tried to force me I might forget my manners.

Hardly an analogous situation. Where's the risk in ignoring a "dress code" whilst on vacation? Putting one's career in jeopardy by insulting one's boss is not the same. The 2 situations are not even in the same galaxy.

Hardly an analogous situation. Where's the risk in ignoring a "dress code" whilst on vacation? Putting one's career in jeopardy by insulting one's boss is not the same. The 2 situations are not even in the same galaxy.

In the context of manners, I disagree. The only difference is the level of personal risk from the result of offending those around you.

From a manners perspective, it's bad manners to think of yourself before the others around you. You shouldn't be focused on looking bad in front of your boss, but instead lookiing to make your boss look good. You take care of those around you first and they will take care of you the rest of the time.

Burt

In the context of manners, I disagree. The only difference is the level of personal risk from the result of offending those around you.

From a manners perspective, it's bad manners to think of yourself before the others around you. You shouldn't be focused on looking bad in front of your boss, but instead lookiing to make your boss look good. You take care of those around you first and they will take care of you the rest of the time.

Burt

Great post:D

From a manners perspective, it's bad manners to think of yourself before the others around you.

Burt

Burt, I have to disagree with you on this. Manners are all about external action or etiquette. What one might 'think' is irrelevant. Back in Victorian England there was a lot of etiquette and good manners - which was all external. Internally, Victorian hearts and minds were full of .... boorishness to put is politely.

From a manners perspective, it's bad manners to think of yourself before the others around you.

Burt

Starting with Socrates (and probably before) there have been deep philosophical discussions recorded and analyzed if anyone ever does anything that does not benefit themselves first. It might be bad manners but it may be a fundamental part of our makeup.

"The ID" made me do it.... ;)

Starting with Socrates (and probably before) there have been deep philosophical discussions recorded and analyzed if anyone ever does anything that does not benefit themselves first.;)

Self-serving or not, we choose who we want to be.

My experience of life has proven that we expose our true self when we drink too much. Moral of the story is "don't drink too much".

Burt

Self-serving or not, we choose who we want to be.

My experience of life has proven that we expose our true self when we drink too much. Moral of the story is "don't drink too much".

Burt

I suppose if you are going to drink too much it would be good manners to do it in private.:D

Honestly, I love the dressing up and I completely expect my husband to dress up with me, but as far as other people... I could care less. They're not in my pictures.

I wouldn't call a man in jeans and a t-shirt rude, just under dressed.

Well, whatever the rules are I will be ready. I don't have a problem with getting dressed up on occasion. This time I'll leave the kilt at home. Tried on the tux today. It's been a while since I last wore it. Everything seems to be in order except the waist on the pants appears to have shrunk a little so I took it down to the seamstress for an adjustment. I can pick them up in plenty of time for our Alaska cruise on the 24th. All I have to pack now are blue jeans, T-shirts, and sweaters.

Cheers!

When my boss says "Jump", I Jump. When my suborinate says "Jump", I usually fire

So does that put you into the I'll wear whatever I want, regardless of a dress code category? What rules?

Archived